Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm pretty sure this Wally actually just always existed. It's why he was wearing the Kid Flash costume when he came back. They're currently in the middle of an arc explaining why what is basically New 52 Wally was erased/forgotten before Barry brought him back.

The erasure caused by Kadabra put Wally in the Speed Force, which gave him the knowledge of all the other poo poo that happened. Wally's not his early 30s self from Post-Crisis. He's his 20ish year old self from the New 52 who everyone forgot and who gained some memories. It's why the Titans only remember stuff about him from their Teen Titans days -- that stuff still happened in this universe (ala Titans Hunt), everyone just forgot. They haven't had a single old continuity memory spurned by Wally, just forgotten New 52 ones.

Huh. I bet basically everyone not reading or keeping up with Titans still thinks Wally made the leap from old continuity in that one-shot.
The reality is a bit less impactful, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Uh, it's been over for like two months?

I think he's waiting for us to win a lasting peace.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huh. I bet basically everyone not reading or keeping up with Titans still thinks Wally made the leap from old continuity in that one-shot.

I know I did. Boo, I guess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

So kadabra isn't a red herring/part of the nu52 bleeding together with pre-52.

Cool. Man I'm losing interest in the books I'm reading fast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wally still has memories of Pre-N52 life because he remembers being older and married to Linda Park even though he's said the memories are slowly fading.

I'm pretty sure they've stated that Pre-N52 and N52 are the same universes just with 10 years of connections between characters removed in order to weaken them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Wally still has memories of Pre-N52 life because he remembers being older and married to Linda Park even though he's said the memories are slowly fading.

I'm pretty sure they've stated that Pre-N52 and N52 are the same universes just with 10 years of connections between characters removed in order to weaken them.

This is what I thought and they were going to come at this eventually. If it turns out to be a trick and they just go oops forgot. I may fanboy rage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-O posted:

But Pre-N52 Superman being on the N52 Earth and being separate from NuSuperman muddied that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It turns out they all grew up in the same orphanage but forgot because they got powers and also TIME COMPRESSIO.N

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Detective No. 27 posted:

But Pre-N52 Superman being on the N52 Earth and being separate from NuSuperman muddied that.

Not really. Because Pre-N52 Superman was pulled from his planet before Flashpoint happened and was dropped back onto his planet after Flashpoint happened.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

X-O posted:

Not really. Because Pre-N52 Superman was pulled from his planet before Flashpoint happened and was dropped back onto his planet after Flashpoint happened.

But then you have things like Parallax Hal being a time-displaced Hal rather than the guy who vanished in Convergence.

Although that could just be Venditti screwing the pooch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But then you have things like
Boners like that really, really make me appreciate Valiant comics' approach to storytelling.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FilthyImp posted:

Boners like that really, really make me appreciate Valiant comics' approach to storytelling.

Everything about what they do makes me appreciate their approach to storytelling.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not even. That's what I figured from Rebirth when Barry remembered Wally as only Kid Flash and Wally was in the Kid Flash costume.

If Wally was from the old continuity why would he be wearing a costume he hadn't worn in a decade?

Answer is he's from this continuity where Barry never died and he never became The Flash.

Teen Titans just further confirmed it since everyone there only remembers the Teen Titans and none of Wally as an adult.

This is Wally after being affected by the missing ten years, but with the previous memories, more or less, since it's "All the same universe just hosed with" or whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I'm happier just not thinking about it too much.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Roth posted:

I think I'm happier just not thinking about it too much.

The only real difference is Wally is 20 instead of 30 and no one can possibly remember his days after being a Teen Titan besides him and Superman, who amusingly still has years of memories of being a surrogate uncle and teammate with Wally.

Superman probably remembers more about Wally than Wally, actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man, I'm now super hyped for when Wally and Clark meet! More hugs!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, I'm now super hyped for when Wally and Clark meet! More hugs!

Probably won't happen. Wally has no reason to think Clark is the one he knows and Clark vice versa.

I guess he could maybe deduce it if he saw Wally running around (since Barry never died) but that's a stretch in several ways. I imagine the Rebirth plotline will be resolved before they ever have a reason to talk. There's just no reason for Wally to show up in JL or the Superman books, and even less reason for Superman to show up in Titans which is Wally's only book.

It would be a great scene, though. Imagine Clark asking about his kids and Wally going "I had kids?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's where you're getting the Prez Election Special.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-catwoman-takes-on-gotham-citys-mayor-in-election-night-special

quote:

CATWOMAN: ELECTION NIGHT #1
Written by :siren:MEREDITH FINCH:siren: and MARK RUSSELL -- Art and cover by SHANE DAVIS and BEN CALDWELL -- Variant cover by DAVID FINCH
It’s mayoral election time in Gotham City, and while the city is up in arms, Catwoman couldn’t care less! But when the candidates get personal, the Feline Fatale decides to get involved—much to the detriment of...well, everyone! This issue contains a special bonus story featuring the return of President Beth Ross from the critically acclaimed PREZ miniseries.
ONE-SHOT • On sale NOVEMBER 2 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
fart

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not sure if that means that Finch is a bad sign or not. I don't think I've read a comic by her before.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Roth posted:

I'm not sure if that means that Finch is a bad sign or not. I don't think I've read a comic by her before.

Her Wonder Woman was an absolute travesty.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

She's best known for trashy dark'n'sexy fairy tale books and an inexplicable and terrible Wonder Woman run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

She's best known for trashy dark'n'sexy fairy tale book

I think she only wrote one of those before WW and was only known for it by people looking back when that was announced.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think she only wrote one of those before WW and was only known for it by people looking back when that was announced.

That doesn't make the statement incorrect.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The s in books is! Take it back!

e: Okay. Guess she's gone back there.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/meredith-finch/4040-76871/issues-cover/
I'm sure at the time it was all "She's only had one previous credit and it was THIS!"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 21, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean even if you ignore the part where Wally talks about remembering being older and married to Linda Park it's also been confirmed in interviews that Wally is indeed the Pre-Flashpoint Wally. So he's definitely not just a N52 version of the character that's been missing.

Right at the beginning of Rebirth he talks about how he's younger than everyone remembered him being and that he used to be Flash, not Kid Flash. They then spent several pages going over his Pre-Flashpoint history including Crisis and his time as Flash and the return of Barry. It's all laid out on the page.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 21, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

I mean even if you ignore the part where Wally talks about remembering being older and married to Linda Park it's also been confirmed in interviews that Wally is indeed the Pre-Flashpoint Wally. So he's definitely not just a N52 version of the character that's been missing.

Right at the beginning of Rebirth he talks about how he's younger than everyone remembered him being and that he used to be Flash, not Kid Flash. They then spent several pages going over his Pre-Flashpoint history including Crisis and his time as Flash and the return of Barry. It's all laid out on the page.

Right, the way he would talk with memories of the past continuity. From his perspective, when he had all the knowledge, he knows it's weird that he's way younger than he used to be. It's like when Barry remembered being married to Iris in Flashpoint, but still was the "Flashpoint" version of Barry who never became The Flash.

The reason he's younger is he's basically the de-aged version of himself that everyone else is from the reboot. It's the same reason he's in the Kid Flash costume. If he was just plucked from the last continuity like Superman was he'd be wearing his Flash costume and be in his 30s.

Wally got rebooted like everyone else, disappeared (apparently because of Kadabra who has done this poo poo before), then while disappeared remembered everything -- how we don't know, but presumably it's all the Speed Force since it's the end all be all plot device.

I suppose the other answer was he didn't exist, and coming into the universe from the Speed Force made the entire universe course correct to account for him. But then Barry wouldn't have memories of raising him? I think the "he was new 52, rebooted Wally and now he remembers the old universe" fits way better.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

FilthyImp posted:

And yet Venditti is also one of the core writers in current Valiant with X-O Manowar.
Though I guess the pooch-screwing could be chalked up to DC editorial stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope they don't drag out the Wally/Linda reunion for too long. Like so many others I grew up on Wally and his relationship with her was very important to the bulk of his time as the Flash. Hell the last few pages of Flash #100 still stands as one of my all time favorite moments in comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It should stay like the Rebirth Special and she isn't affected by his magic touch. "I'm supposed to be with you? gently caress off creep."

I think it'd be interesting for one thing to push against whole fixed legacy thing and treat it like an imposition on them.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 22, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

graybook posted:

And yet Venditti is also one of the core writers in current Valiant with X-O Manowar.
Though I guess the pooch-screwing could be chalked up to DC editorial stuff?

Both of his Valiant books are fantastic and he wrote one of the best events I've ever read from any company in Armor Hunters so I'm guessing if his DC work is lacking it's probably not just his fault.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Matt Kindt also did mostly garbage at DC (I liked Frankenstein!) before being Mr. Valliant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Some writers just have trouble working in the framework of the Big 2. I can see Kindt absolutely being that kind of writer as his stuff I've read has a bit more depth and weirder bigger ideas than you'd normally see there. He just doesn't strike me as the kind of writer that would excel at writing a straight ahead superhero story.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

X-O posted:

Both of his Valiant books are fantastic and he wrote one of the best events I've ever read from any company in Armor Hunters so I'm guessing if his DC work is lacking it's probably not just his fault.

Yeah, X-O Manowar has been great, but I don't think I ever felt all that hot on his Green Lantern work.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

It should stay like the Rebirth Special and she isn't affected by his magic touch. "I'm supposed to be with you? gently caress off creep."

I think it'd be interesting for one thing to push against whole fixed legacy thing and treat it like an imposition on them.

Boy that sure sounds depressing.

That said he didn't touch her in Rebirth, but his magic touch wouldn't work on her. It only works on the Titans because their time together as Teen Titans wasn't erased, so there's something to restore. Linda's legit never met him in this continuity, so no memories.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I've never liked Venditti's Green Lantern stuff, but I thought he did a great job wrapping up Demon Knights after Paul Cornell ended his run.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Solicits are out

http://www.newsarama.com/30736-dc-comics-full-november-2016-solicitations.html

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #4
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DEXTER SOY
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CAM SMITH
Variant cover by MATTEO SCALERA
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“DARK TRINITY” part four! The unimaginable has happened—Black Mask has gained control of one of the most powerful beings in the world: Bizarro! Can the Red Hood stop him before Black Mask’s reign of terror begins?
On sale NOVEMBER 9 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

:ohdear:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Spoiler: no but this sets up the chance for bizarro to be redeemed and take revenge on black mask who wronged him

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Four issues in and the titular "outlaws" are still not actually a team, dang.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Batman Annual is in anthology format. That's pretty dope.
Written by TOM KING, SCOTT SNYDER, PAUL DINI, STEVE ORLANDO and SCOTT WILSON
Art by DAVID FINCH, RILEY ROSSMO, NEAL ADAMS and others

e: The Shade is back as a Flash villain.
I'll definitely give the graduating Snyder class New Talent Showcase a shot. That's neat.
Doc Fate ends with art by Brendan McCarthy!!
DC are doing their own Artist's Editions now.

quote:

DEADMAN: KELLEY JONES GALLERY EDITION HC
Written by MIKE BARON
Art and cover by KELLEY JONES
Advance solicit • On sale January 2017 • 228 pg. FC, 12” x 17” • $125.00 US
The unmistakable art of Kelley Jones sets the mood for two gothic thrillers in the new DEADMAN: KELLEY JONES GALLERY EDITION. Collecting Jones’ artwork from DEADMAN: LOVE AFTER DEATH #1-2 and DEADMAN: EXORCISM #1-2, this Smythe-sewn hardcover edition is sourced from the original boards and showcases the boldly dramatic line art that established Jones’ creative style prior to his work on Batman and other DC characters. Both tales were written by Mike Baron and first published in 1989 and 1992.
Graphitti Designs’ Gallery Editions replicate the look, feel and attitude of the original artwork. Every page is reproduced at full board size on heavy paper stock to provide fans and collectors with museum-quality reproductions that are unobtainable from any other source.
Aerialist Boston Brand comes to (after)life as never before in these graceful, moody pages. Experience the glory of Kelley Jones’ legendary DEADMAN artwork here in all its haunting beauty!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's ok, Red Hood has a pistol!