Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Airborne Viking posted:

As other's have said, yes. Hell, given enough voltage, electricity will go "gently caress you" and arc through a vacuum.

No, I am not embarassed about my elementary understanding of physics.

BattleMaster posted:

It's not conduction when it's in a vacuum but it's electrons breaking free and travelling through space. It can happen at lower voltages if the metal is hot which was done on purpose in vacuum tube electronics and cathode ray tubes. It can also happen if the metal has a sharp point where the local electric field is strong enough to start pulling electrons off.

We have switchgear at work that uses vacuum interrupters. The two electrical contacts are contained in a vacuum bottle so there is minimal/no arcing even if you are interrupting say 20,000 amps (fault) at 14kV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

It's not conduction when it's in a vacuum but it's electrons breaking free and travelling through space. It can happen at lower voltages if the metal is hot which was done on purpose in vacuum tube electronics and cathode ray tubes. It can also happen if the metal has a sharp point where the local electric field is strong enough to start pulling electrons off.

Even an ideal vacuum will breakdown and theoretically conduct under a ludicrously high voltage.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Three-Phase posted:

We have switchgear at work that uses vacuum interrupters. The two electrical contacts are contained in a vacuum bottle so there is minimal/no arcing even if you are interrupting say 20,000 amps (fault) at 14kV.

Great example here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkNY5xjy5k

Interrupting high-current, high-voltage flows is tricky because arcs are conductive so if your switch opens and there's an arc that means the switch is still effectively closed. Just opening the switch wider won't stop the arc. So what you've got here is 3 big air switches that swing open wide to keep the circuit open, one for each phase, and each one of those air switches is in series with two fast-opening interrupters that are designed to open at the same time to split the voltage stress between them and break the circuit with minimal arcing. Those switches are encased in bottles of sodium hexafluoride gas that will quench any arcs at that switch that do occur.

So in this case, the rightmost switch in its bottle of SF6 fails. If you go through this frame by frame, you first see an arc flash across the middle switch in its gas bottle, because, since the switch it was supposed to operate in tandem with failed, the entire voltage was across that switch as it opened and so it arced. You can see that there's no arc across the right bottle, because it stayed closed the whole time. Ordinarily, after the two interrupters open, the air switch swings open, and the two interrupters close again so you have this big air gap keeping the circuit open (in frame-by-frame, you can see the arc across the one interrupter disappear when it closes again). But in this case since the interrupters didn't do their job there was still plenty of current flowing and there was that huge arc at the air switch, which would have kept going until it arced to ground or another phase if linemen weren't actually there at the time investigating a known problem.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Even an ideal vacuum will breakdown and theoretically conduct under a ludicrously high voltage.

Source?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Physics. Dielectric strength of a pure vacuum is on the order of a few dozen megavolts per meter, depending strongly on electrode material and shape. If you get a field strong enough that the field effect causes electron emission, those electrons will flow from the cathode to the anode just like in any other circuit; there's nothing in the way, after all.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 22, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Once you get a large enough voltage, you can get electrons to jump through the vacuum from one electrode to the other. That's not really conductance, though.

What's more interesting is what happens once you get past the Schwinger limit. Essentially the electric field becomes large enough to spontaneously create electron/positron pairs, which act as charge carriers across the gap. Theoretically, of course.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Collateral Damage posted:

It's like setting things on fire, you can set almost anything on fire if you try hard enough have a strong enough oxidizer

I vaguely remembered this one from Ignition! but I don't think I remembered its byproducts.

quote:

Exposure of larger amounts of chlorine trifluoride, as a liquid or as a gas, ignites tissue. The hydrolysis reaction with water is violent and exposure results in a thermal burn. The products of hydrolysis are mainly hydrofluoric acid and hydrochloric acid, usually released as steam or vapor due to the highly exothermic nature of the reaction.

OK, your poo poo's on fire and releasing acid in the form of steam when it hits water. The running shoe advice is looking better and better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

I vaguely remembered this one from Ignition! but I don't think I remembered its byproducts.

OK, your poo poo's on fire and releasing acid in the form of steam when it hits water. The running shoe advice is looking better and better.

Yeah, ClF3 is hypergolic with basically anything that isn't a metal and leaves all kinds of fun and exciting chlorine and fluorine species in the process. And those metals aren't safe if something prevents them from forming a protective patina.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"Hypergolic with all known test-pilots"
https://web.archive.org/web/20060218090235/http://www.flightjournal.com/articles/me163/me163_1.asp

quote:

2. Leaking fuel could turn pilots to jelly, particularly if the plane flipped over.

RO: pilots, me included, survived overturned Komets, and an overturned ship would not necessarily leak fuel into the cockpit. When fuel contacted organic material, including skin, it ignited after only a few seconds. Our protective nylon suits would not ignite but were porous, and fuel could sop through to the skin.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8093.html

quote:

According to the book Der streng geheime Vogel Me 163 by Major Wolfgang Späte (ISBN-13: 978-3895551420) an accident happened on December 30, 1943 at the former Rostrup airforce base at Bad Zwischenahn. A rocket piloted by Oberleutnant Josef Pöhs of Erprobungskommando 16 spun around during a skid landing and flipped, causing a fuel to rupture and the remaining T-stoff to spill into the pilot compartment.

From the accident investigation as recounted by Späte, who was commander of the airforce unit at the time of the incident:

"The medical officer continued with his precise, technical presentation, 'After we recovered the wreckage, we attempted to put the pilot's remains in a casket. Even though he was wearing a protective suit, his entire right arm had been dissolved by T-Agent. It simply wasn't there. There was nothing more left in the sleeve. The other arm, as well as the head, was nothing more than a mass of soft, amorphous jelly.' " At that point, Späte says he interrupted the doctor, telling him to just shut the hell up. He didn't want the other pilots to become demoralized, because the H2O2 had done that to the victim in less than a minute's time.

If you know how reactive and exothermic 3% hydrogen peroxide is when you apply it to a cut or wound, consider that the strength of the peroxide in the T-stoff was 98%.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like the part where their PPE only bought them a few seconds.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Sanctum posted:

I fuel 737s and thanks for the nightmares. Jesus christ that takes getting degloved into a whole new level.

The indicator lights on 737s are the same orange-yellow hew as basically every standard always-on running light, and the indicator lights blink real slow. Even brand new EMBs use the same indicator lights and it baffles me because the warning lights require so much specific attention to actually notice. How many planes do I drive behind in a day? A loving lot, I cannot be careful enough. I've seen dudes get hit by full-on jet blast but never someone unwittingly get in front of the engines in the same circumstances. Not so nice to see the horrifying results of that. :ohdear:

The APU on jets is very, very loud and creates a visible heatwave just the same as a running engine. Yet I go under the wing with APUs running during nomral fueling procedures all the time. So what you might think would be the 'obvious' sign to watch out for isn't really obvious at all. Not a day goes by where a wingman doesn't wave me forward when the indicator lights of a plane are still on and I just loving sit there while they get frustrated and gesture more frantically before shrugging and turning their back. Not happening man.

What typically happens to dudes who get hit by a full on jet blast?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Volcott posted:

High-bypass turbofan on ground idle will probably at worst knock you down, maybe roll you on the tarmac a bit. At full-throttle, well, change that to definitely knock you down and roll you around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpX1riSTeJc&t=174s

If it's a low-bypass turbojet, that exhaust is going to be much hotter and if you're close enough you'll be scorched. There was an incident years ago with what I want to say was a Swedish Viggen, some bystanders had gathered on a hill to watch a takeoff, and to impress them the pilot passed very close over them in full afterburner and a number of them were badly burned.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Volcott posted:

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIvFEe9KfE

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Volcott posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLB0qadBPwU&t=139s

Edit: Haha, 3 different videos

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A fourth video, showing precisely what the question was about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6yod-sOrT0

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phanatic posted:

Physics. Dielectric strength of a pure vacuum is on the order of a few dozen megavolts per meter, depending strongly on electrode material and shape. If you get a field strong enough that the field effect causes electron emission, those electrons will flow from the cathode to the anode just like in any other circuit; there's nothing in the way, after all.

This is what I described but it's not really conduction. Things can't conduct if there's no charge carriers, and a vacuum has nothing in it to be a charge carrier.

edit: I mean once current starts to flow there are electrons present and those are charge-carriers but they weren't there at first and originally belonged to whatever they were torn off of

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 22, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJWxQLXrO54

Here's the full video. It's actually an extended chase scene where he also sped through the automatic doors of the mall and drove on a pedestrian bridge. The driver wasn't the owner of the motorcycle and last I heard he still hasn't been caught, but they did identify the owner and impound the bike.

The video was released by accident when it was uploaded to a video sharing website and they forgot to check the "Private" box. Which makes me wonder how many private videos are sitting on YouTube of poo poo like this.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Soviet OSHA

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LOlZR4UN8

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

That went south real loving quick.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Theophany posted:

Funny in this context but totally puts into perspective how fast confined space dangers catch up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Drowning.mp4

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Theophany posted:

Well yeah, that's why people use it to commit suicide.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Crosspost from the terrible car stuff thread

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
How not to tie down your cargo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI04YcnrdAE

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad russia is getting on board the whole artificial reef building bandwagon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

People in the comments joke it's a new, quick way to lay a gas pipeline.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jDQkkaxT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_dV9sjmdqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrrDLdeL2HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VchsHhPIx_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvrgFPcPXfo

And to bring this back around to the discussion of horrible elevator death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54K1AgTKpbk&t=62s

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

haha it's even got the little old lady slowly shuffling for her life

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whose vodka-soaked idea was that?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Yes, run towards the broken steel cables whipping through the air, guy at 1:36! There's no way would turn out badly!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VectorSigma posted:

haha it's even got the little old lady slowly shuffling for her life

her shriek as she notices the boat is the best

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm watching Event Horizon and this spaceship is one giant flying OSHA hazard. Giant pits with no railings and the walls covered in spikes, slippery pools of liquid in working spaces, no safety overrides to prevent a crazy or malicious operator from opening the airlocks, insufficient spare carbon dioxide scrubbers, no PPE stations anywhere near the room containing the giant reactor that emits dangerous brain altering radiation.

Also the ship keeps sending workers to a hell dimension.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

drat that runaway anchor is terrifyingly awesome.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Also the ship keeps sending workers to a hell dimension.

Functioning as designed. Marked wontfix/closed

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BattleMaster posted:

Functioning as designed. Marked wontfix/closed

So Google runs that ship?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The contractor I'm working for is very osha.

Not pictured: The left ladder is sitting on a partially demo'd deck which is currently being held up by a piece of firewood.

e:

The guard on that saw has long since been removed, of course.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Javid posted:

The contractor I'm working for is very osha.

Not pictured: The left ladder is sitting on a partially demo'd deck which is currently being held up by a piece of firewood.

e:

The guard on that saw has long since been removed, of course.

This whole scene speaks of a man who is desperately trying to figure out what to do next and going with the first thing he thinks of, but never actually finishing the task at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

chitoryu12 posted:

Whose vodka-soaked idea was that?

quote:

Whoever bought those cars signed a document allowing the cargo to be transported on the ship's deck at their own risk

:allears: