Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The video was ok, except where it said that Kubo got tired around 2013 and stopped caring. If this was true, he wouldn't have behaved like such a big baby and toss in that "well darnly doodly, people just cannot comprehend the quality of my pacing" line. Or name his last 2 chapters "Perfect End" and "The End of Flawlessness".

He probably thought himself smart with those jabs, but if the editorial kept them is because they were probably chuckling themselves at what a big delusional loser Kubo was. Like Shyamalan level of delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

My favorite thing about Bleach is that there's all these throughlines of characters dealing with their perceptions of themselves, of the world, and their place in it. And so little of that ever comes to anything.

Zanpakto alone are a lovely action comic philosophy goldmine.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Kudos to Kubos, "some people just don't appreciate my pace" made me choke on my drink and may have been the funniest moment in all of Bleach.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Naruto's ending wasn't rushed.

yeah, he became beloved by everyone, beat the stupid out of sasuke, and then became hokage. those were naruto's goals from the first chapter. aside from how they both went on way too long, the last arc of naruto was bad for completely different reasons than the last arc of bleach.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The three chapter thing really makes noise to me in that video, like the promo of [smudge] 'till the end is probably more accurate, and there were more than 3 chapters left when we saw the volume saying that the next one would be the end, right? there are solid ways to trace when Kubo was given the final date, most likely he was given nine chapters for the end.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Naruto's ending rubbed me the wrong way with how too neatly wrapped up it all got, and how many old characters they brought back to have a moment (and in some cases just to re-enact moments they already had). Times where they raised the stakes like when the Leaf Village got slaughtered was pretty quickly reversed. And in the end everyone got married and had kids and every thing was perfect and there were almost no loose ends, even with the out of no where final villain.

Bleach is the opposite for me, where there was so many loose ends, and instead of going back to them they just kept moving forward until it was too late to meaningfully resolve all of them. The stakes were upped so high and the final villain shown so powerful, that it was hard to imagine how it could resolve in a way that made sense and instead ended super abruptly. In some cases, it was made worse by teasing things like the old characters showing back up, but then doing next to nothing or introducing new side characters that ultimately are meaningless or exist only to do one thing like Yoruichi's brother.

In the end though, Naruto's ending closure (which I know is weird to say considering its now got a sequel series) is better than Bleach's ending vagueness and abrupt resolution.

Though I still wish the last fight with Kaguya in Naruto had been won solely with his Sexy Reverse Harem Jutsu. That would have been the most loving amazing cap on that series if it ended with that.

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 22, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JDRockefeller posted:

In some cases, it was made worse by teasing things like the old characters showing back up, but then doing next to nothing or introducing new side characters that ultimately are meaningless or exist only to do one thing like Yoruichi's brother.

This.

For example, personally I never saw what people liked so much about Grimmjow, but I must admit that he was definitely built up to be the Vegeta to Ichigo's Goku.

10 years later, they meet each other again, exchange a couple of lines and barely share more than 5 or 6 panels together. Grimmjow ends up fighting someone completely irrelevant to his character while Ichigo goes climb Snake Way for the 5th time.

The only "emotional" fights this whole arc had were Rukia vs As Nodt, and frigging Omaeda vs BG-9. Every other single one of them were interchangeable.

Turns out the whole concept of Hollow was a metaphor to where the manga was headed.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV:golfclap:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 22, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Actually Grimmjow was the Renji to Ichigo's Ichigo.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
My friends and I were really into Bleach back in high school. As a group of Mexican-American kids we were especially excited about Bleach because it featured a part Mexican character, used a lot of Spanish words, and had some Latin/Hispanic inspired music. Chad was really cool because we had never seen a Latin American character in anime. It's hard to think of anyone like that in anime before Chad. I'm only thinking about popular shows or ones aimed at teens so I'm not sure if there have ever been Latin American anime characters. It's very disappointed that nothing ever came of Chad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm watching bleach with my brother (he hasn't seen it before). Gonna stop at the end of soul society arc.

He thinks chad is the bomb, and bleach's kuwabara.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I'm watching bleach with my brother (he hasn't seen it before). Gonna stop at the end of soul society arc.

He thinks chad is the bomb, and bleach's kuwabara.

that's the saddest thing i've heard all day

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't mind Chad losing to Shunsui, cause Ichigo nearly died taking Kenpachi out and Uryu lost his powers after beating Mayuri.

But did that really have to define Chad afterwards?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

that's the saddest thing i've heard all day

We just finished the episode with the telephone pole. It's unfortunate that things are all downhill from here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm gonna watch some yu yu hakusho now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cerony posted:

My friends and I were really into Bleach back in high school. As a group of Mexican-American kids we were especially excited about Bleach because it featured a part Mexican character, used a lot of Spanish words, and had some Latin/Hispanic inspired music. Chad was really cool because we had never seen a Latin American character in anime. It's hard to think of anyone like that in anime before Chad. I'm only thinking about popular shows or ones aimed at teens so I'm not sure if there have ever been Latin American anime characters. It's very disappointed that nothing ever came of Chad.

The first Gundam series had Ryu Jose as one of the pilots. Admittedly, he was the first member of the main cast to die, but he at least makes it halfway through, and his death is one of the big ones. Plus, the Earth Federation has its headquarters in South America.

Moving into slightly less certain territory, Kai (the best character) might be of Puerto Rican descent, and in the Origins manga, Amuro's family home is moved from Canada to Mexico.

Oh, and in G Gundam, there's the Tequilla Gundam, but I'm guessing that's less what you're looking for.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you were to tell me that naruto was cancelled and given a limited number of chapters to complete the story the week before kaguya appeared, I would believe you

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

We just finished the episode with the telephone pole. It's unfortunate that things are all downhill from here.

The part where he gets his powers is good too, but after that yeah, sadly. God I wish Chad had been used more (and Orihime and Soi Fon).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

at least he's not tatsuki (rip)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think the giant bloated cast could have worked if Kubo weren't so obsessed with bringing back every goddamn character for every arc and having them all do something. The Captains did not have to be involved in the HM and Deicide arcs at all, let alone the Fullbringer arc. The Vizards showing back up as captains and tag-alongs for the Blood War was dumb because their whole motivation stopped and started with revenge against Aizen, having them skip merrily back to SS and rejoin the society that cast them out for a century makes no sense. And don't even get me started on having the fullbringers and Grimmjow/Nel show up again. Apparently Ichigo's human friends and Kon were the only characters Kubo was willing to let exist in the background of the world without cropping up every time a potential villain farted in Ichigo's direction.

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, and in G Gundam, there's the Tequilla Gundam, but I'm guessing that's less what you're looking for.

And the giant floating sombrero colony, don't forget that! :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

I think the giant bloated cast could have worked if Kubo weren't so obsessed with bringing back every goddamn character for every arc and having them all do something. The Captains did not have to be involved in the HM and Deicide arcs at all, let alone the Fullbringer arc. The Vizards showing back up as captains and tag-alongs for the Blood War was dumb because their whole motivation stopped and started with revenge against Aizen, having them skip merrily back to SS and rejoin the society that cast them out for a century makes no sense. And don't even get me started on having the fullbringers and Grimmjow/Nel show up again. Apparently Ichigo's human friends and Kon were the only characters Kubo was willing to let exist in the background of the world without cropping up every time a potential villain farted in Ichigo's direction.

And the giant floating sombrero colony, don't forget that! :v:

Kon was around during the final arc.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'll give Kubo the benefit of the doubt that he did intend for Ichigo's other friends to be relevant, but he had written himself into a corner with bringing in the shinigami so much and it would be kind of weird to have Tatsuki and the others show up and body guys who were challenges for the shinigami.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

considering the most important thing tatsuki has ever done is have her seeming like she might be relevant as a fakeout for orihime's power up, I'm not so inclined to give him any benefit of the doubt here

besides, bringing in ichigo's c lister human friends and making them as strong as chad (lol) wouldn't be that far fetched. they come in, beat some rank and file dudes, then worf so that the important people can win. just like every other bleach character

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think the overall cast size would have ultimately been fine if Bleach had just...done almost anything other than what it did. Like, Bleach has an extremely small amount of story arcs tbh. Probably the best thing it could have done after Soul Society was a number of smaller arcs with maybe a Soul Society character or two along for the ride as a "guest character" with the Ichigo/Chad/Orihime/Uryu core. Like I feel that direction would have served the series pretty well! And is honestly a kind of sensible and obvious approach to have taken!

But then, Kubo is a hack.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The power to reject reality

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Voted Worst Mom posted:

The power to reject reality

Acceptance is the final stage of grief.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think the overall cast size would have ultimately been fine if Bleach had just...done almost anything other than what it did. Like, Bleach has an extremely small amount of story arcs tbh. Probably the best thing it could have done after Soul Society was a number of smaller arcs with maybe a Soul Society character or two along for the ride as a "guest character" with the Ichigo/Chad/Orihime/Uryu core. Like I feel that direction would have served the series pretty well! And is honestly a kind of sensible and obvious approach to have taken!

But then, Kubo is a hack.

I mean Kubo kinda did that in the little mini arc before Ichigo actually went to HM. Aizen just started gating dudes into Karakura and Ichigo was in depression phase # 57, so SS sent over Hitsugaya + a small group of lieutenants to mop up and we got some wacky antics and an a modicum of character development for the guest stars. I didn't last very long though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there should probably have been a post ss arc that didn't deal with aizen at all. let the vaizard have some room to breathe, give the human cast something to do, keep the shinigami to a minimum

also kubo's decision to make ichigo depressed 99% of the time was probably not the correct choice

slev
Apr 6, 2009

He should have kept Rukia a character

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Considering what happened to all of the people he did keep around constantly, I don't think that would've been good for Rukia.

RIP Ichigo's personality.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The video that got posted a while back made a good point about Ichigo's motivation being reactive vs proactive in nature. His whole motivation was "I want the power to protect others", so the only way to move the plot forward was to have him lose said powers, or have have somebody he cares about get hurt/kidnapped.

Honestly even in the beginning of the story, Ichigo wasn't very interesting outside of having some good banter with Rukia and him being kind of a punk. His motivation was still just as bland. The only time he ever even approached being interesting was Memories in the Rain when Grand Fisher showed up, but then nothing ever actually came of that so :shrug:

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

Sydin posted:

The video that got posted a while back made a good point about Ichigo's motivation being reactive vs proactive in nature. His whole motivation was "I want the power to protect others", so the only way to move the plot forward was to have him lose said powers, or have have somebody he cares about get hurt/kidnapped.

Honestly even in the beginning of the story, Ichigo wasn't very interesting outside of having some good banter with Rukia and him being kind of a punk. His motivation was still just as bland. The only time he ever even approached being interesting was Memories in the Rain when Grand Fisher showed up, but then nothing ever actually came of that so :shrug:

There's not even anything wrong with Ichigo being an in-universe bland person with no personal motivation. The problem comes from the fact that it would never be addressed since the only thing that develops in Bleach are outfits. Bleach actually would've been great if it played up its flaws intentionally, but that would require Kubo to be a better writer.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bacontotem posted:

Ichigo cut Bach in half. 10 years later his kid uses Orihime's rejection power to kill his leftovers.

wrong

ichigo cut bach in half, this also kills him 10 years in the future the kid didn't do poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is fine for writers to have idiosyncrasies. the important part is that they own up to their flaws and either work on them or embrace them. unfortunately, kubo seems to have become a prima donna who pretends he has no flaws.

Ampuli
Nov 23, 2013
Where does Ywach being the soul kings son come into play in all of this?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ampuli posted:

Where does Ywach being the soul kings son come into play in all of this?

where does the soul king come into anything tbh. he's there, they lynchpin, dies but nothing happens, his "power" (wahtever that was??) gets absorbed into ywach and it does ???, and now maybe aizen is it.

Like the only thing it did was chop off its limbs and give one guy ghost aids and the other turned into a mayuri test subject

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
remember when the soul king was interested in ichigo for some reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basically the soul king didn't have anything to do with anything. he was just a macguffin. it is possible that kubo intended on elaborating on the subject, but i kind of doubt it.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kubo ran out of time/forgot.

Ampuli
Nov 23, 2013
Maybe Kubo will hold a questionnaire sometime because now I'm curious about how Ywach was born in the real world but had a spirit daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Elfgames posted:

remember when the soul king was interested in ichigo for some reason.

No.

• Locked thread