Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

joepinetree posted:

There is a lot of first world elitism with regards to coverage for these olympics. Not that there aren't problems. There are. Many. Massive. Unfortunately, they are not what people complain about. The media talks non stop about empty stands, or booing, or minor inconveniences for tourists, or green but still safe water as disasters. When the reality is that the real issues are that in order to ensure security all the extra police have militarized and actually killed a bunch of people in poor areas, that the "legacy" will end up being a massive transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich, etc. But of course, if you open the door to talk about massive spending to support sports investments by billionaires and their companies, suddenly they wouldn't be able to stop at just talking about Rio.

Yeah. People don't realize how much damage hosting the Olympics does to an area, especially one with a large amount of poor people who tend to suffer displacement, lost wages, and even up to actual murder just so rich countries can watch their athletes play games and make tons of money off them. We're not even getting into what happens to the stadiums and other facilities that are now useless after they leave.

STAC Goat posted:

Mark Furhman discussing why the cops weren't racist or corrupt was one thing.

Oliver North criticizing Obama for making a deal with Iran for hostages was pushing it.

But really... having Bush's head of FEMA who resigned over the poor response to Katrina criticizing Obama's response to flooding in LA is just intentional.

Like... its on purpose, right? They're just having a laugh at the expense of their idiot viewers who don't know any better and us liberals who do, right?

At this point, probably. They've primed their viewers to the point that they don't know anything unless they heard it on their network/blogs within the last month, so they are pushing it as far as possible. Reality is what RWM makes it and they're loving it. At least they were until Trump managed to give the people a much bigger, more hateful fantasy to latch onto.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Geostomp posted:

Yeah. People don't realize how much damage hosting the Olympics does to an area, especially one with a large amount of poor people who tend to suffer displacement, lost wages, and even up to actual murder just so rich countries can watch their athletes play games and make tons of money off them. We're not even getting into what happens to the stadiums and other facilities that are now useless after they leave.

Part of the problem is Brazil, when they got it, was a solid choice. No Olympics in South America prior, economy was looking up, 2nd world country about to make it 1st world... and then the bottom fell out. A city like Chicago would easily handle it, but would need a track and field stadium built, likely in the suburbs (Soldier Field is FIFA capable for the soccer finals but lacks the room for a track, and some nearby stadiums in other states would also be needed for soccer), along with a swimming stadium (unless Northwestern's is big enough) and an indoor cycle track.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Part of the problem is Brazil, when they got it, was a solid choice. No Olympics in South America prior, economy was looking up, 2nd world country about to make it 1st world... and then the bottom fell out.

That's not what 2nd world means.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The Brazil games have also been sparsely attended so even what meagre money they'd make off of tickets, compared to the exorbitant costs of hosting this monstrosity, will be even smaller.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Chilichimp posted:

That's not what 2nd world means.

Well the 1st/2nd/3rd world thing is a pretty dumb classification leftover from a Cold War attempt to make Westerners feel superior.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

Mark Furhman discussing why the cops weren't racist or corrupt was one thing.

Oliver North criticizing Obama for making a deal with Iran for hostages was pushing it.

But really... having Bush's head of FEMA who resigned over the poor response to Katrina criticizing Obama's response to flooding in LA is just intentional.

Like... its on purpose, right? They're just having a laugh at the expense of their idiot viewers who don't know any better and us liberals who do, right?
It definitely has a purpose but it isn't so they can kick back and cackle like maniacs. (They do that anyway.)

It's gas-lighting on a massive scale. Furhman's been on the circuit for a long time, and Oliver North had his own loving talk show for a bit, so their viewers are already primed to treat them as serious people. It also helps that they perceive taking these people seriously as a way to piss off liberals, and thirty years of cultivating that hatred means you can get them to do just about anything if they think it will annoy the political left. A few of them might have some doubt about something as blatant as Oliver North criticizing the White House over negotiating with Iran, or Mark Furhman talking about race relations and effective policing, but social pressure and aforementioned hatred will quash that pretty quick. Plus, these people are in pretty deep at this point, and trust these media outlets about as much as, perhaps more then, they trust their own memories. Right wing media has been working these people over for three decades or more, and it really shows.

As for why, it's because money. Think of all the people out there now who trust nothing else but right-wing news media, and how much coin all those captive viewers can bring in. Other media outlets either have to give up on ever capturing that audience, or they have to start feeding the same hatreds and biases themselves, and become part of the RWM. Of course, the truly clueless try to do both, and that's how you wind up with CNN.

These people are primed to accept anything now, provided it comes from the right sources and uses the right language and code words. They'll believe anything - thus, Donald Trump.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
From last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-Y7dcgJ1c

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Well the 1st/2nd/3rd world thing is a pretty dumb classification leftover from a Cold War attempt to make Westerners feel superior.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying he's misusing it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/AllenBWest/photos/a.424759776728.200909.22067606728/10154919722936729/?type=3&theater

people are so willfully ignorant it boggles the mind

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Well, its Allen West, so...

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
"Gutfeld takes on the PC nonsense of safe spaces."
Greg, :fuckoff:!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gutfeld's a tool but I still laugh when I see clips like this where he (a) implies Bolling is a Trump "water carrier", (b) trolls alt right conspiracy theorists, (c) calls out Fox News' previous lies about "skewed polls", and (d) finishes up with a shot at Roger Ailes as "the invisible hand" which forces everyone into uncomfortable laughter and an ordered commercial break.

Its weird that Trump has made me respect Greg Gutfeld a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7SePcBIsEw

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

STAC Goat posted:

Gutfeld's a tool but I still laugh when I see clips like this where he (a) implies Bolling is a Trump "water carrier", (b) trolls alt right conspiracy theorists, (c) calls out Fox News' previous lies about "skewed polls", and (d) finishes up with a shot at Roger Ailes as "the invisible hand" which forces everyone into uncomfortable laughter and an ordered commercial break.

I think maybe Ailes tried to grope Gutfields wife at the Christmas party or something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

If you removed Gutfield from Fox and say dropped him at CNN? He'd probably be a Penn Jillette-style atheist/libertarian.

That's the vibe I get. But wing nut welfare pays better than that poo poo, and he can ride that gravy train until it goes down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

no offense but what the gently caress is obama supposed to do. if he goes down their, they will say he did little and was standoffish or some poo poo. the governor and responders don't want Obama or Hillary or anyone who needs a ton of security there right now because the motorcades gently caress up normal traffic, let alone when roads are a mess from a natural disaster. all it would do is take away effort to the victims and survivors.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

farraday posted:

I think maybe Ailes tried to grope Gutfields wife at the Christmas party or something.

I mean, I assume the basic deal is that everyone at Fox News has long known Ailes is a creepy pervert and they're just divided between people who don't care because they think that's his right as a man and women should get over it or people who just grumble about it privately and are laughing now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Google TRUMP 18 WHEELER!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

iospace posted:

Part of the problem is Brazil, when they got it, was a solid choice. No Olympics in South America prior, economy was looking up, 2nd world country about to make it 1st world... and then the bottom fell out. A city like Chicago would easily handle it, but would need a track and field stadium built, likely in the suburbs (Soldier Field is FIFA capable for the soccer finals but lacks the room for a track, and some nearby stadiums in other states would also be needed for soccer), along with a swimming stadium (unless Northwestern's is big enough) and an indoor cycle track.

There is a velodrome in Indianapolis and that plucky little city could use some more attention. It has experience hosting roving bands of violent 3rd world denizens as well.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shbobdb posted:

It has experience hosting roving bands of violent 3rd world denizens as well.
GenCon, lol.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Out of curiosity, has noted war criminal American Ronin Allen West given an opinion on Trump yet?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no offense but what the gently caress is obama supposed to do. if he goes down their, they will say he did little and was standoffish or some poo poo. the governor and responders don't want Obama or Hillary or anyone who needs a ton of security there right now because the motorcades gently caress up normal traffic, let alone when roads are a mess from a natural disaster. all it would do is take away effort to the victims and survivors.

They should've gone down there and helped fix things with their own hands just like Donald did when went down there and gave people the Play-Doh that they desperately needed. :colbert:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump's Supporters

Breitbart: Burkini Ban: Police Have Already Punished Ten Muslim Women For Islamic Swimwear

quote:

Dressing like a tw@t kind of defeats the object of going to the beach

These ar**holes will never adapt to civilisation - all they know how to do; is ruin it for everyone else

-

I would be tempted to just watch them thrash around & drown in their own stupidity

In fact I'd only ask them to stop while I pulled up a deck chair & opened a beer

-
Good for the French - those outfits are a deliberate and contemptuous slap in the face to Western/French values and people and should be banned; the fine should have a much deeper bite on their purses! Banning these outrageous swimming costumes should be taken by the wearers as a very clear message - get with OUR programme or get gone, end of.

I wish all their ridiculous garb could be banned including the hijab and those silly jimmy-jam outfits the men parade around in. When I see garb-wearers I automatically think they're either terrorists or making a statement (with the garb) they support terrorism and I deliberately avoid them even if it means I have to go miles out of my way - I even leave shops and other public spaces if I see a garb-wearer is present.

If I saw someone wearing a burkini I'd leave the beach in fear, loathing, and no little anger at the way these people are trying to shred our way of life whilst taking advantage of it.

-

Muslims are visual pollution, and not just the walking Bin Bags pushing strollers.

A fat Muslim man with an unkempt long scraggly beard wearing an off-white nightshirt and Nikes got on my bus the other day. I had to avert my eyes for fear of seeing his fat pendulous belly and his 'package' swinging underneath his near transparent sleepwear. Then he spent the whole ride speaking Arab with the Muslim bus driver.

France is beautiful, the French are beautiful, but the Muzz think it's their right to visually pollute our public space with their ugly presence. It's a provocation, like this Corsican says...

-

You don't believe that muslim women view these garments as a political statement???? They absolutely are. Same as the headscarf and the face veil (I won't use the obnoxious arabic words for them)

-

Now start taxing muslims, a Mosque tax, a ban on foreign funding for Mosques, hell make them illegal to build. stop pandering to them, ban halal, ban prayer rooms at work its work not a bloody mosque, ban special diets for prisoners, if they don't eat fine, starve.
They'll get the message and p*ss off.

-

We should publish lots of pictures of women in burkinis to show how ugly and silly they look and ridicule them .Some pictures of them wearing the full niqab with sunglasses would add to the fun

-

Better move: Ban the f'ing muslims from the country and if they don't leave immediately shoot them.

-

Over 50% of all Muslims in the world are the result of first-cousins reproducing together. They are mentally deficient and physically and genetically retarded.

-

Make them eat pork as their punishment or community service at a pig farm!

-

The burkinis should come with a pair of cement beach shoes that they should be REQUIRED to wear.
Any 'punishment' the police would inflict on them would only be met by the statement" My husband beats me better than than that all the time." followed by cynical laughter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nonsense posted:

Google TRUMP 18 WHEELER!

I've seen a lot of that. As well-trained rubes, they ignore the actual contents of the van, any distribution of said useless contents, the payment for said contents, the fact that it inhibits actual efforts, and that Trump couldn't be bothered to do an entire minute of work and took off as soon as the photos ended.

Kilroy posted:

It definitely has a purpose but it isn't so they can kick back and cackle like maniacs. (They do that anyway.)

It's gas-lighting on a massive scale. Furhman's been on the circuit for a long time, and Oliver North had his own loving talk show for a bit, so their viewers are already primed to treat them as serious people. It also helps that they perceive taking these people seriously as a way to piss off liberals, and thirty years of cultivating that hatred means you can get them to do just about anything if they think it will annoy the political left. A few of them might have some doubt about something as blatant as Oliver North criticizing the White House over negotiating with Iran, or Mark Furhman talking about race relations and effective policing, but social pressure and aforementioned hatred will quash that pretty quick. Plus, these people are in pretty deep at this point, and trust these media outlets about as much as, perhaps more then, they trust their own memories. Right wing media has been working these people over for three decades or more, and it really shows.

As for why, it's because money. Think of all the people out there now who trust nothing else but right-wing news media, and how much coin all those captive viewers can bring in. Other media outlets either have to give up on ever capturing that audience, or they have to start feeding the same hatreds and biases themselves, and become part of the RWM. Of course, the truly clueless try to do both, and that's how you wind up with CNN.

These people are primed to accept anything now, provided it comes from the right sources and uses the right language and code words. They'll believe anything - thus, Donald Trump.

This is what really depresses me about right wing media: they've convinced a generation that facts don't matter. The only things from proper superstars that have the appropriate amount of hatred for the Other may be accepted as "true". Trump is the candidate they've trained their viewers to latch onto. Worse, we have to pretend they have a point just to appease the ones who have been so deeply misled.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, at the end of yesterday's show Bolling says "great new article on Fox Nation about Hillary Clinton's health!" and Gutfeld snuck in "boy I hope it isn't full of conspiracies!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bolling is like the walking embodiment of Trump supporters and Fox News viewers. He just repeats every bit of nonsense and can't have an argument to defend it. I was watching Geraldo rip him to shreds on O'Reilly the other night and he just stayed silent for like 5 minutes and then mumbled something about "liberal media" (Geraldo!).

I give Ailes/FNC credit for picking just the perfect "voice of the audience" to center the Five around. The Five is absolute garbage but there's a brilliance in its obvious construction.

Bolling, the centered voice of the audience who will repeat RW talking points without question.
To his right the conservative "voice of reason" and to his left the liberal "voice of reason."
On the far right the loud, obnoxious, crude conservative who will trash the liberal with complete irreverance.
To the far left... the same exact thing, except as a hot lady. You know... so its "fair and balanced."

Something just broke with Trump because Bolling in the center has gotten really remarkably stupid and crazy, the two "voices of reason" are kind of saying a lot of the same things, and Gutfeld is just off the reservation and won't play ball.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

If you removed Gutfield from Fox and say dropped him at CNN? He'd probably be a Penn Jillette-style atheist/libertarian.

That's the vibe I get. But wing nut welfare pays better than that poo poo, and he can ride that gravy train until it goes down.

I seem to recall that Jon Stewart once did a segment on the Daily Show pointing out what a rolling shitshow The Five usually is. Guttfield and Perino laughed about it and kinda went "yeah, we kinda are. What's your point?" and Eric Bolling got really, legitimately mad about it. It shows you the kind of diversity of personalities they have over there. Guttfield is very much like Penn, I think, in that he's got some lovely beliefs, but he's not an rear end in a top hat about them like Bolling tends to be.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Before Trump became a thing, though Gutfeld was angling hard for the scold/bully role at Fox, trying to place himself somewhere between O'Reilly and Hannity.

His last three books:

-The Joy of Hate: Basically "get your jollies mentally arguing with liberals and building your own thingsthatdidn'thappen.txt!"
-How to be Right: Wingnut stroking in the best BillO manner, with a bit moe smug and a lot less codger.
-Not Cool: Pure hipster-millenial bashing and how they are the New Menace that will finally end America.

It's pure coincidence that now the movement took a sharp turn toward unsociable psychopathy rather than Old Boy group chuckles where he excels.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Trump's Supporters

Breitbart: Burkini Ban: Police Have Already Punished Ten Muslim Women For Islamic Swimwear
I haven't read such casual denigration of arabs on a french beach since I read Camus.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Trump's Supporters

Removing confederate flags from federal buildings: a horrible abuse of our freedom of speech, Obama hates freedom, etc

Banning burkinis: a good idea, gently caress muslims

saying that people who think banning burkinis is a good idea are stupid: you don't like my freedom of speech, you fascist

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Removing confederate flags from federal buildings: a horrible abuse of our freedom of speech, Obama hates freedom, etc

I thought the RWM knew which way the wind was blowing on this one and concern trolled the poo poo out of it along the lines of THE RACIST DEMOCRATS PUT UP THAT FLAG AND THE INCLUSIVE REPUBLICANS TOOK IT DOWN, VOTE FOR US, MINORIITES

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't kept up with Gutfeld lately and don't watch The Five, haven't read any of his books, but I actually liked Red Eye and thought it was funnier than The Daily Show. Not funnier than TDS at its best, but in the latter years it was.

It was on at something like 3 a.m. and seemed more libertarian influenced -- and yeah a lot of jokes deconstructing the format of T.V. panel shows. And he's a big fan of Mike Patton and Devin Townsend (weird musicians I both like). I could see his favorite movie being something like Crank 2: High Voltage. He'd have Gwar and The Melvins on the show. Just irreverent and kinda funky.

But the main thing is I didn't think he was ill-natured. But I might groan and roll my eyes if I saw him on one of these afternoon shows.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 21, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

STAC Goat posted:

Gutfeld is a smug rear end in a top hat who gets off on loving with people and is too privileged and caught in his own bubble to know that there's a difference between loving with a guy by calling him a silly nickname and loving with a minority group by laughing at their issues or whatever.

That said he's pretty much always had a level of charisma and honesty to him that makes him easily the most palatable of those types of right wing figures. Like, I could see hanging out with him being like hanging out with any other normal dude who happens to be kinda a loving idiot. I can see why he would be a fun guy to talk to because like already said I genuinely think he's just kinda a douchebag who likes loving with people rather than actually a hateful person, which at least helps you not want to punch him.

He's been having a good time lately just openly mocking his peers who so easily switched from people like Cruz or Rubio to Trump purely because of the R next to his name.

And yea, he seems to take a little bit of glee in the fact that it's so obvious in 2017 the Trump News Network is gonna be 'a thing' and all these sycophants sucking up to him on places like Fox are gonna be praising a dude trying to put them out of business.

nine-gear crow posted:

I seem to recall that Jon Stewart once did a segment on the Daily Show pointing out what a rolling shitshow The Five usually is. Guttfield and Perino laughed about it and kinda went "yeah, we kinda are. What's your point?" and Eric Bolling got really, legitimately mad about it. It shows you the kind of diversity of personalities they have over there. Guttfield is very much like Penn, I think, in that he's got some lovely beliefs, but he's not an rear end in a top hat about them like Bolling tends to be.

Yea this was one of the things that kinda made me come around on him. Like...he knows what he's doing. He knows he's making garbage for the reactionary idiots of the world because his smug 'I'm so smart, you're an idiot, buy my book you stupid idiot' style is back in vogue for 'telling it like it is'. You can argue the morality in the cosmic sense when it comes to 'ironically' pushing this crap or not but at least at the end of the day the guy who's calling his fans idiots to their faces because it makes him laugh that they still buy his books probably can have a drink and a conversation with normal people. I can't imagine guys like Bolling ever being 'off'.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I saw this yesterday:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/fox-news-anchor-just-stood-205017816.html

quote:

"Many of you write, wanting me to tell you GOOD things about the gop chances this year. I wish I could do that. But I WILL NOT LIE TO YOU." - Dana Perino

It's about FOX NEWS anchor Dana Perino refusing to tow the line about how the pools are fake, etc. but lost in the story, I felt, was the tacit admission that FOX is nothing more than a GOP cheerleading outfit. She says "I wish I could tell you otherwise or say otherwise (that the polls are wrong) but I can't and i won't lie to you." She's straight out telling us she's upset about the poll numbers and, without meaning to, exposing FOX's agenda.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

I haven't read such casual denigration of arabs on a french beach since I read Camus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdbLqOXmJ04

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

My Facebook feed has Crowder garbage popping up.

loving Zuckerburg. :mad:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I mean clearly. It's so obviously going to happen.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Laughing my rear end off at Republicans coming full circle on teleprompters and actually now promoting as a good thing. Unreal.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

BiggerBoat posted:

Laughing my rear end off at Republicans coming full circle on teleprompters and actually now promoting as a good thing. Unreal.

It's still not as good as the turnaround from "you can disagree with the man but please, respect the office" tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't laugh anymore. These people are black holes, void of any principles, honesty or empathy. Trump surrogates almost seem like zombies to me, literally. And they want to control the world. It's just loving depressing.