Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Spent about an hour as well but was too early I think (only about midnight) because I only saw maybe half a dozen in that entire timespan. Managed to get a couple that I am 99% sure they're planes or satellites and definitely not meteors :)

Yep, one of each, still nice photos though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

BANME.sh posted:

Spent about an hour as well but was too early I think (only about midnight) because I only saw maybe half a dozen in that entire timespan. Managed to get a couple that I am 99% sure they're planes or satellites and definitely not meteors :)

Awesome scenery though! That first one is my favorite, good shots.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Jesus Christ, that view. :monocle:

BANME.sh posted:

Managed to get a couple that I am 99% sure they're planes or satellites and definitely not meteors :)
Same. Way too many times I'd scroll through my shots and see what I thought was something great, until I moved to the next frame ...and the next ... and kept seeing the same "meteor."

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Spent about an hour watching the show. Saw tons in directions I wasn't pointing the camera but managed to get a few. This was the brightest.

What's the bright one in the top right?

You got Andromeda in this shot too. Awesome.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

oldmandon posted:

What's the bright one in the top right?

That caught my eye too, looked at it closer and I'd say the majority is just aberration off what I think is the star Vega

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

oldmandon posted:

You got Andromeda in this shot too. Awesome.

I was wondering what that was. Thought maybe a planet. :krad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of settings were people using? I was a in a pretty dark area near Los Alamos and got jack poo poo. Is there a minimum ISO needed to catch meteors?

Because max aperture at iso 800 wasn't catching poo poo even though I was sure I was pointed at a number of very good meteors. Unfortunately my body is rather old and images turn into a swarm of noise when I go to 1600 or higher at night. Is there a trick I missed other than "buy a better camera you moron"?

How did people photograph meteors 5-10 years ago?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I was doing 20 seconds at f2.8 and 800 ISO. Super wide aperture is a must. I'm guessing in the film days people were using a combination of a super fast lens and high speed film. Film rated 800 or higher wasn't that uncommon back then.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I did 5s, f1.8, ISO 1600. What's your max aperture?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I was shooting at f/2.8, and went back and forth between 800 ISO at 30 seconds, or 1600 ISO at 15s, sometimes longer. Some of my better images were made at 800/30s but I wish I'd made them at 1600/15s: 30s is borderline too long, things start to get fuzzy due to movement. Noise-wise I can hardly tell a difference, but I didn't know that at the time.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
How about you guys post some of the pictures you shot?

I took this:
Palm Tree and Stars (Cocle, Panama) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

with a garbage camera that didn't really function past 800ISO. This shot was F1.8, 16s, ISO1600 and I didn't even have a tripod, just set my camera flat on the ground and pointed it straight up.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Kites! :tipshat:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

That's cool!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

This is rad!

This is 11 images stitched together, which gives it that pronounced fish-eye look -

16mm, patience, and finger crossing.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Friend of mine introduced me to the group of hippies and fire spinners she used to run with when she still lived in the area, this is alot of fun trying to figure out how to get the the right exposure for fire trails.

Albany Spin Jam by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Getting so many ideas I love from this thread. Thanks, y'all.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Really digging the colors in this one, great work.

This is really cool, I've tried to do the panorama stitching of milky way shots and it never really comes out as good as that.

Goddamn light pollution. This thing is sitting in the middle of a field but it's sorta close to a road full of ugly sodium vapor lights and off to the right is a baseball field with ridiculous stadium lighting. If there's ever a power outage I'm revisiting this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately to get rid of light pollution you probably got a long drive ahead of you.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

To fully escape light pollution, you gotta haul your butt to the spots that are 100% black.. like southeast utah.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately to get rid of light pollution you probably got a long drive ahead of you.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

To fully escape light pollution, you gotta haul your butt to the spots that are 100% black.. like southeast utah.

drat, that map is cool but depressing. Not the best but there's a few blue spots that aren't extremely far away, I might have to road trip over to those and see what I can find there.

For reference levels the tank photo was taken in an orange zone. I live in a brighter green zone and the milky way is just barely visible on very clear nights.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 25, 2016

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

I'm brand new to photography and especially night time photography, got my first hot pixels! These were taken taken near the Franz Joseph glacier where there are glow worms in the rainforest.
Is there anything I can do to reduce noise other than a nicer sensor?

DSC_0489 -3 by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

DSC_0571 - Copy -2 by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't see any hot pixels there.

Shoot at a lower ISO/longer exposure if you want it to be less noisy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's hard to make it look right but mucking around with the red channel on the curves can help a bit.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I tried to get something cool and starry out of the bridge I live by, but it's kind of hard when it's all kinds of lit up. It is a cool bridge though. The longest suspension bridge in the world when it was built.

Korsør - DSC04517 by Anders Folkmar Belling Kraneled, on Flickr

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Went to a nighttime photography talk at a camera store's opening, then later that night the power went out hanging out with friends, so I ended up trying out some long exposures. All I had for lighting was candles and a flashlight, and most of the shots were blurry or super underexposed (I really should have bumped the iso above 200, but in the dark the pictures looked bright enough on my camera screen).
Here's one that kinda came out alright, (though still tons of things to improve, and still dark after a basic pass of inexperienced editing).
(maybe a bit too blue? (original was a fair bit darker)

Also my dog.

Got me excited to go out try this out more though (hopefully before winter gets too cold).

Lhet fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 13, 2016

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

From the Guadalupe Mountains in west Texas.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

This is the view of Tokyo from Tokyo Tower. I couldn't deal with the glass pane reflecting a lot of light. :/

I was pretty stoked about being able to get the ferris wheel and rainbow bridge somewhat focused and some street head/brake lights blurred. I didn't have a tripod and could only set the camera down on a countertop.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Lincoln Memorial by Business Ferrets, on Flickr

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Drewski posted:

I didn't have a tripod and could only set the camera down on a countertop.

Ah nice, I was wondering how you got it looking sharp (on my phone it looks good). I tried shooting from the stupidly tall one in Dubai I can't remember the name of without and support, but just couldn't nail the sharpness if I wanted to get any trails in the lights.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

indoor pool by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

some goold ol' portra reciprocity

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
We went to Florida during the Perseids and while the weather didn't cooperate well enough to catch any meteors, I did get some nice night shots from the beach.

IMG_5369-Edit by Andrew Elrod, on Flickr

IMG_5394-Edit by Andrew Elrod, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 24, 2016

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

CommanderApaul posted:

We went to Florida during the Perseids and while the weather didn't cooperate well enough to catch any meteors, I did get some nice night shots from the beach.

Those are really neat!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, totally makes me wish I did more research and tried to get something here (Florida too). Good work!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nice

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The perseids are way harder than I had imagined. I read all those stories of "200 meteors an hour!" and figured I'd come home with zillions of streaks.

Nope. It's a loving chore and you better be ready to stay out all night.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I was out for 2 hours (until the sprinklers in the park came on at 3am lol) and didn't get a single one :negative:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

xzzy posted:

The perseids are way harder than I had imagined. I read all those stories of "200 meteors an hour!" and figured I'd come home with zillions of streaks.

Nope. It's a loving chore and you better be ready to stay out all night.

They're better in the morning than at night, and the moon this year made it really hard to catch anything. :(

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

DSCF8147

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Remembered I bought an intervalometer a couple years ago and never used it so I tried out some startrail overlays. Here's the one that worked:

11mm
55 exposures x 3min apiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!

I'd been meaning to take this for a while. Three 30-second exposures.