Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

cenotaph posted:

Yeah, Sid Sackson is really the only designer that was prolific in the way modern designers are.

Came in here to recommend Can't Stop, another Sackson from 1980. It's a fun little dice game - a bit like if Yahtzee had a lot more choices.

There's a free android app of it (and I assume there is one for iPhone too) that is only slightly buggy. I can't even stay mad at the app when it crashes because I always have to smile when my phone informs me "Unfortunately, Can't Stop has stopped."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Lorini posted:

So basically you are asking if you should buy the equivalent of a cell phone from the last century. The hobby moves on and the best games are generally the ones that were made within the last five years.

This is a really strange thing to say. Surely you wouldn't say the same thing about old books, movies, videogames, etc?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sailor Viy posted:

This is a really strange thing to say. Surely you wouldn't say the same thing about old books, movies, videogames, etc?

I wouldn't, but it doesn't really change that the majority of old board games are poo poo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbozig posted:

Came in here to recommend Can't Stop, another Sackson from 1980. It's a fun little dice game - a bit like if Yahtzee had a lot more choices.

There's a free android app of it (and I assume there is one for iPhone too) that is only slightly buggy. I can't even stay mad at the app when it crashes because I always have to smile when my phone informs me "Unfortunately, Can't Stop has stopped."

My time spent getting wasted and playing Can't Stop on BGA via Mumble was the best years of my depressed life, I recommend it with great psychogamer enthusiasm.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Sailor Viy posted:

What Mega 64 said. Also he was asking about last century, I said five years but it could be 10 as well...game design has developed a lot since the last century. I think books are not in this category. Movies are if you care about 3D and stuff like that. Look at all the mechanics that have either been discovered (deck building and worker placement) or developed (role selection, auctioning). I don't know that you can call game design 'tech' but in some ways it works that way.

Video games are barely playable from last century. I can't think of one video game from last century that I like more than even the mediocre video games that I play now, they are certainly tech.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

What Mega 64 said. Also he was asking about last century, I said five years but it could be 10 as well...game design has developed a lot since the last century. I think books are not in this category. Movies are if you care about 3D and stuff like that. Look at all the mechanics that have either been discovered (deck building and worker placement) or developed (role selection, auctioning). I don't know that you can call game design 'tech' but in some ways it works that way.

Video games are barely playable from last century. I can't think of one video game from last century that I like more than even the mediocre video games that I play now, they are certainly tech.

I half agree with you. Video games, like board games, needed a massive market push to drive new blood into developing them. For video games that was the market crash that led to individuals founding their own independent studios and for board games it was Catan that led to the same push.

But some things have been perfected and just can't be improved upon. I don't know what kind of taste you have but platformers were perfected with Super Mario World and pretty much nothing after improved on it. Likewise I have yet to play an area control that's as interesting as El Grande. Even among new-ish games Dominion is basically the only deck builder I can safely say would be called a "classic" 20 years from now despite every month seeing a new deck builder.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Sailor Viy posted:

I think you could make a reasonable argument that very early books, like 18th century novels and the like, were usually bad, and that this was because there wasn't yet the literary "technology" (critical theories, stylistic guides, and so on) to point writers in the right direction. The form of the novel hasn't changed much since the modernists at the turn of the 20th century, so good novels have been produced "forever" from our viewpoint.

You see the same trend in other genres, just compare SF written before and after the New Wave of the sixties. Movies have been through several stages of technological improvement and refinement in cinematography. The earliest films were little more than recorded stage plays (without dialogue, even).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OK a friend and I started seriously discussing this and here is a list of games that are favorites of Joe Huber, a board game connoisseur deluxe. Some are from last century. The only two I'd play today from that discussion are Bohnanza and 6 nimmt.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ASL ASL ASL

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lorini posted:

This is a bizarre post. You don't still see the value in Pacman, Tetris, Mario Brothers, or Breakout, all of which have had popular modern incarnations released within your seemingly arbitrary timeframe? Barely playable is such a weird way to put that, especially since early games are very pared down arcade games that are designed specifically to be immediately playable without any real textual information or pre-existing knowledge (that's like the entire point of an arcade game!).

Also, books absolutely have changed over time. Changes in technology have lead to things like graphic novels, the very format of the novel itself with cheaper printing presses and distribution leading to an increased consumption of reading for pleasure, and the publishing industry is currently being destroyed and reformed by digital books.

And 3D as a sweeping technology for movies? Uh... that remains to be seen, but I doubt it. Even stuff that came before certain epochs (sound, color, modern editing and direction) is still widely considered to be high points of the form: The Kid, Faust, Metropolis, etc. are all still viewed as highly influential and well made films, despite not having color or sound.

In terms of tabletop games, I think that game design has matured over the past 10 years or so, but there are still many worthwhile games from before that period (also I'm assuming you mean decade instead of century). Artificially limiting yourself to a narrow view of any form is going to mean that you lack literacy in understanding the new stuff that's being developed.

Dire Wombat posted:

I think you could make a reasonable argument that very early books, like 18th century novels and the like, were usually bad, and that this was because there wasn't yet the literary "technology" (critical theories, stylistic guides, and so on) to point writers in the right direction. The form of the novel hasn't changed much since the modernists at the turn of the 20th century, so good novels have been produced "forever" from our viewpoint.

You see the same trend in other genres, just compare SF written before and after the New Wave of the sixties. Movies have been through several stages of technological improvement and refinement in cinematography. The earliest films were little more than recorded stage plays (without dialogue, even).

This reads like you mainly read Warhammer novels and things with gruff looking people wielding swords on the front cover.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jimbozig posted:

On the weekend I had the misfortune to play a game called 'Roll for it'. You had six dice, rolled them once, and tried to get them to match to numbers on cards that were on the table. Probably one of the most tedious decisionless games I've played, and made me wish I was playing Can't Stop instead.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

This is a bizarre post. You don't still see the value in Pacman, Tetris, Mario Brothers, or Breakout, all of which have had popular modern incarnations released within your seemingly arbitrary timeframe? Barely playable is such a weird way to put that, especially since early games are very pared down arcade games that are designed specifically to be immediately playable without any real textual information or pre-existing knowledge (that's like the entire point of an arcade game!).

Also, books absolutely have changed over time. Changes in technology have lead to things like graphic novels, the very format of the novel itself with cheaper printing presses and distribution leading to an increased consumption of reading for pleasure, and the publishing industry is currently being destroyed and reformed by digital books.

And 3D as a sweeping technology for movies? Uh... that remains to be seen, but I doubt it. Even stuff that came before certain epochs (sound, color, modern editing and direction) is still widely considered to be high points of the form: The Kid, Faust, Metropolis, etc. are all still viewed as highly influential and well made films, despite not having color or sound.

In terms of tabletop games, I think that game design has matured over the past 10 years or so, but there are still many worthwhile games from before that period (also I'm assuming you mean decade instead of century). Artificially limiting yourself to a narrow view of any form is going to mean that you lack literacy in understanding the new stuff that's being developed.

He said CENTURY, read what he said. If he said DECADE I would have had a different response...there's decent enough games in the last decade.

Geez.

The time frame was not arbitrary, and no, I don't play those games anymore.

So let's restate the question. The person wanted to know of games that were made last century because he wanted to know of games that had risen to the top. NOT games that were good during the time they came out. Big difference!!! Certainly there were great games for their time, no question. But for most of those games, their time is not now.

Which is my point.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

OK a friend and I started seriously discussing this and here is a list of games that are favorites of Joe Huber, a board game connoisseur deluxe. Some are from last century. The only two I'd play today from that discussion are Bohnanza and 6 nimmt.

I don't know who Joe Huber is but the only interesting game in that list post-2000 that I would snap decision play is Galaxy Trucker so you know tastes and stuff.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lorini posted:

He said CENTURY, read what he said. If he said DECADE I would have had a different response...there's decent enough games in the last decade.

Geez.

The time frame was not arbitrary, and no, I don't play those games anymore.

So let's restate the question. The person wanted to know of games that were made last century because he wanted to know of games that had risen to the top. NOT games that were good during the time they came out. Big difference!!! Certainly there were great games for their time, no question. But for most of those games, their time is not now.

Which is my point.

Oh, fair enough. I didn't track back far enough in the quote chain to get the full argument. That's still a bizarrely ahistorical view of movies, books, and digital games, but I guess that's more a matter of opinion than anything.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There's great work in every age of media, but things progress. You can appreciate Chaplin's films but that doesn't mean "Guy riding a horse silent film" is worthy of your time (except novelty or research).

Games (and videogames) I think are even moreso, as technology and business were huge limiting factors. Old games were designed to eat your quarters above all else. Lots of 8-bit games used punishing difficulty to hide their tiny amounts of content. You don't see books that pad their length by forcing you to reread the same paragraph 20 times.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crackbone posted:

There's great work in every age of media, but things progress. You can appreciate Chaplin's films but that doesn't mean "Guy riding a horse silent film" is worthy of your time (except novelty or research).

Games (and videogames) I think are even moreso, as technology and business were huge limiting factors. Old games were designed to eat your quarters above all else. Lots of 8-bit games used punishing difficulty to hide their tiny amounts of content. You don't see books that pad their length by forcing you to reread the same paragraph 20 times.

I mean, not *exactly*, but there sure are books that feel that way! <insert boring long book here>

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

silvergoose posted:

I mean, not *exactly*, but there sure are books that feel that way! <insert boring long book here>

I enjoy The Dresden Files, but Jim Butcher has definitely made me read a few of the same paragraphs 20 times.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

sector_corrector posted:

This reads like you mainly read Warhammer novels and things with gruff looking people wielding swords on the front cover.

Uhh no, dude. I'm trying to say that Ursula Leguin and Iain Banks are better than Howard and Lovecraft, at least at a technical level. There's a big difference between the most well-liked writers now and a hundred years ago, at least in genre fiction. There are more examples I could use, like just compare children's books now and then. Harry Potter isn't very good by grown-up standards, but it's goddamn Proust compared to the old boarding-school stories that inspired it. Literary fiction has been mature for a lot longer, like at least 250 years, but before then few people took novels seriously, because they were mostly p bad.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dire Wombat posted:

Uhh no, dude. I'm trying to say that Ursula Leguin and Iain Banks are better than Howard and Lovecraft, at least at a technical level. There's a big difference between the most well-liked writers now and a hundred years ago, at least in genre fiction. There are more examples I could use, like just compare children's books now and then. Harry Potter isn't very good by grown-up standards, but it's goddamn Proust compared to the old boarding-school stories that inspired it. Literary fiction has been mature for a lot longer, like at least 250 years, but before then few people took novels seriously, because they were mostly p bad.

I was going to type up a reply to this, but it made my head hurt. I'll just say: you're not even wrong.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I was going to type up a reply to this, but it made my head hurt. I'll just say: you're not even wrong.

I should say that there are good old books. I'm not trying to diss Don Quixote here. I know the novel developed out of an established tradition of English drama and poetry that was really good, since those forms had been carried down intact from the Greeks and Romans who developed them. I still reckon that the craft of writing has evolved with the times, and that it's possible for writers to build on older work and improve their skills over the centuries.

I'd post something about board games here, but I've been stuck in a new city without a group for a while. I'm hoping to stop derailing the thread by next week :v:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dire Wombat posted:

I should say that there are good old books. I'm not trying to diss Don Quixote here. I know the novel developed out of an established tradition of English drama and poetry that was really good, since those forms had been carried down intact from the Greeks and Romans who developed them. I still reckon that the craft of writing has evolved with the times, and that it's possible for writers to build on older work and improve their skills over the centuries.

I'd post something about board games here, but I've been stuck in a new city without a group for a while. I'm hoping to stop derailing the thread by next week :v:

This is a different position than "books were bad in the past because people didn't know how to write as well as they do now." Also, it's funny that you mentioned Proust, because In Search of Lost Time is far more technically excellent and stylistically complicated than, like, any book you'll grab at random if you close your eyes and thrust blindly in the "literary fiction" department of Borders.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

This is a different position than "books were bad in the past because people didn't know how to write as well as they do now." Also, it's funny that you mentioned Proust, because In Search of Lost Time is far more technically excellent and stylistically complicated than, like, any book you'll grab at random if you close your eyes and thrust blindly in the "literary fiction" department of Borders.

But is it... fun?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

al-azad posted:

But is it... fun?

Friend: it's a hoot and a holler.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Through the Desert (98) is well regarded but I haven't actually played it.

It's biggest sin really is the fact it that it is ugly as poo poo, and that the two other Knizia game in that "series" happen to be really good ones (Tigris & Euphrates, Samurai). You can't but pale in comparison a bit.

I've always rather enjoyed Uwe's Bohnanza when I've had that out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

homullus posted:

Chapel is still pretty great!

I've been stopping playing the campaigns for Dominion Online to the point where when I'm half-asleep going to bed I forget that buys, cards, and actions are not things that apply to real-world purchases, and I can confirm that just pitching a hand of estates and copper to a chapel is basically the Dominion equivalent of crack. I start getting the shakes when I go too many junk-heavy kingdoms without good trashing (or without any trashing, which is true suffering).

There's a couple of stinkers in the base set (Bureaucrat, Spy, Thief, and Adventurer come to mind), but man if the design elegance isn't a quality in and of itself compared to some of the later, wordier cards that go into niche engines.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kiranamos posted:

Just send an email to Bezier Games and they'll send you replacement tokens. Board game customer service is generally really good in this department.

Done, thanks!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jimbozig posted:

the best implementation of can't stop will always be the brettspielwelt one, just because of the sound effects

aaaaaaaaaaa

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Got my copy of Coup with the Brazilian art, and let me say:

The art is loving gorgeous

However,

gently caress Indie Boards and Cards. I have the Kickstarter edition of Coup with all the different art, and the mobile edition of the game, as well as G54 all neatly housed in one box and it's real pretty and great. And then they print up the gorgeous Brazilian art and would you look at that the cards are a different loving size from the other two versions of the game they've already put out, so they're too big to fit in the same box with all my other copies. Alright, well I mean whatever, I have to carry one more box to game night then, right? Well that'd be fine if the box it comes in wasn't big enough to hold at least 8 copies of the loving game. I think this is the absolute maximum air:game ratio I've ever seen in a board game box. Except there's no board so I guess it's just this big for the rules? loving stupid. Gorgeous, but loving stupid.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sockser posted:

gently caress Indie Boards and Cards.

Yeah

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Don't worry, I'm sure Indie Boards and Cards will soon release a new version of Coup using the Brazilian art and the old card size.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You roll up to gamesnight with 6 different editions of Coup?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dire Wombat posted:

You absolutely need to stop talking about books mate. And, contrary to what you might've learned from cereal packets, everything wasn't invented in England.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ras Het posted:

everything wasn't invented in England.

Most of the things worth inventing were invented in England, or England Jr. I mean, I guess the Jacquard Loom is cool, but its no spinning mule

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pre-2000 games I'll happily play: Fury of Dracula, Warrior Knights, Britannia, Advanced Civilization, Star Fleet Battles, Kings & Things, Lords of Creation, Space Hulk. I seem to recall that Fief: France 1429 is based on a design from 1981 as well, though I'd have to look it up to see what the differences are.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Mr. Squishy posted:

You roll up to gamesnight with 6 different editions of Coup?

Well how else are you supposed to count coup when you win?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I didn't see what the question was, but this is the answer

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Rutibex posted:

Most of the things worth inventing were invented in England, or England Jr. I mean, I guess the Jacquard Loom is cool, but its no spinning mule

That's a phrase I had hoped to hear only once this summer...

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I'm not sure what this thread's consensus on one of the Anticipated Games of the Year is, but when you just play the game with no expectations, Scythe is a really fun interesting game that I would happily keep replaying.

Yey to no expectations!

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Andarel posted:

That's a phrase I had hoped to hear only once this summer...

I'm torn between curiosity and dread about the inevitable wall of text coming that will calmly explain to me how anything important was invented in England and the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

COOL CORN posted:

I didn't see what the question was, but this is the answer

ASL is usually the question.