Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We just has to move cubicles at my office, and the guy whose cubicle I got was a smoker and a lot of third hand smoke has been absorbed into the cloth cubicle walls here and it's irritating my sinuses. Is there a good way to get rid of this without using some kind of scent that is going to potentially bother my cubicle neighbors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

We just has to move cubicles at my office, and the guy whose cubicle I got was a smoker and a lot of third hand smoke has been absorbed into the cloth cubicle walls here and it's irritating my sinuses. Is there a good way to get rid of this without using some kind of scent that is going to potentially bother my cubicle neighbors?

Ask for a different cube or to have the walls replaced.

Or just go office space on it with a screwdriver.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

Ask for a different cube or to have the walls replaced.

Or just go office space on it with a screwdriver.

We're full up on cubes. They just literally moved 70 people because I'm sure some coordinator read that is an effective motivation tactic or some management bullshit. You can't just ask for a different cube.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sure you can. They might say no, but they can't prevent you from asking.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

We're full up on cubes. They just literally moved 70 people because I'm sure some coordinator read that is an effective motivation tactic or some management bullshit. You can't just ask for a different cube.

Also I'm going to assume you're not in the US, or most of the EU(?) because smoking indoors is pretty much forbidden. Also smoking outdoors.

Do you have OSHA (that's the US occupational safety and health admin thing) or some equivalent of it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, I know Iron Man has as much in common with real science as, uh, two wildly dissimilar things, but from a medical standpoint how many horrible problems would be caused by having a big ol' hunk of metal in the middle of the sternum? Like I'm no doctor but wouldn't a giant hole in your chest bones screw up the lungs and ribs?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

Also I'm going to assume you're not in the US, or most of the EU(?) because smoking indoors is pretty much forbidden. Also smoking outdoors.

Do you have OSHA (that's the US occupational safety and health admin thing) or some equivalent of it?

He didn't smoke indoors, no one does, he did in the designated outdoor area, but he still smells of smoke and so does his cubicle which is now my cubicle.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

YggiDee posted:

Okay, I know Iron Man has as much in common with real science as, uh, two wildly dissimilar things, but from a medical standpoint how many horrible problems would be caused by having a big ol' hunk of metal in the middle of the sternum? Like I'm no doctor but wouldn't a giant hole in your chest bones screw up the lungs and ribs?

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/nov/03-testing-for-shrapnel-sickness

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

YggiDee posted:

While we're at it: has he lost his mind? Can he see, or is he blind?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Interesting! I was mostly wondering about the cavity where the arc reactor would go, though. It's a few inches deep.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

While we're at it: has he lost his mind? Can he see, or is he blind?

He was turned to steel
In a great magnetic field

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

He didn't smoke indoors, no one does, he did in the designated outdoor area, but he still smells of smoke and so does his cubicle which is now my cubicle.

Okay, so you are in the US?

Is it possible to get with OSHA on this?

And if it's affecting your health it's affecting your job performance so maybe your employers can replace three lovely walls and make it so you're comfortable doing your job if you ask nice?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How the hell can "third hand" smoke even be a thing? Like, the particles of whatever make up smoke aren't going to jump off dude's jacket and onto a wall?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Why does everyone hate TV Tropes so much? I just discovered it a year ago and I love it. I've been talking to people about all these things forever, and used to make my own poorly organized databases of examples of these tropes. The articles on the site are also pretty well written. I've never seen anyone here explain WHY they hate it so much, but there is a lot of side admonishments toward the site.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

credburn posted:

Why does everyone hate TV Tropes so much? I just discovered it a year ago and I love it. I've been talking to people about all these things forever, and used to make my own poorly organized databases of examples of these tropes. The articles on the site are also pretty well written. I've never seen anyone here explain WHY they hate it so much, but there is a lot of side admonishments toward the site.

you should check out their forums

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

How the hell can "third hand" smoke even be a thing? Like, the particles of whatever make up smoke aren't going to jump off dude's jacket and onto a wall?

The jury is still out but the mayo clinic has some concerns: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/third-hand-smoke/faq-20057791

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

504 posted:

Is it the same one where his demo of the system results in a huge mess and a man with a peanut allergy getting drenched?

This is a scene from the Disney movie Meet the Robinsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUcflfO1I7Q

The movie came out in 2007, though, so I don't think that's what Jewel Repetition is looking for.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bongwizzard posted:

You know how you can smell smoke on the clothes and furniture of people who smoke? That means particles are coming off those items, because that's how smell works. Is it dangerous? I don't know. But it's certainly unpleasant to many people.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

It's definitely a thing. For example, I had to buy all new suitcases when I stopped smoking. Even after washing my clothes they still had some residual smoke smell in them, and when I packed them in a suitcase they eventually made the suitcase smell terrible even though I never smoked around it. After I stopped, any clothing I put in a suitcase would come out smelling like they belonged to a smoker.

If the dude was taking several smoke breaks a day for years I'm sure the cubicle smells awful.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
What happens to the hair that gets cut off at a barber shop? Does it just go in the trash, or is there a special organic waste bag just for that?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

kedo posted:

It's definitely a thing. For example, I had to buy all new suitcases when I stopped smoking. Even after washing my clothes they still had some residual smoke smell in them, and when I packed them in a suitcase they eventually made the suitcase smell terrible even though I never smoked around it. After I stopped, any clothing I put in a suitcase would come out smelling like they belonged to a smoker.

If the dude was taking several smoke breaks a day for years I'm sure the cubicle smells awful.

Yeah. Only for about two years though. I'm not worried about any kind of injury or health condition from it, and I don't want to put the guy on blast, he's very nice and it's his right to smoke during designated breaks in the designated area. Just wondering if there's a good way to scrub the smell out without myself making an environment other people will find unpleasant. One time at an old job I brought a febreeze thingy in to keep at my desk and discovered this actually really bothered some people who were sensitive to it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

credburn posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569947

edit: oh I guess that's archived

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

dokmo posted:

What happens to the hair that gets cut off at a barber shop? Does it just go in the trash, or is there a special organic waste bag just for that?

On a somewhat related note that I have been meaning to ask, what are some good places to donate hair? I have read of organizations selling the hair or other shady poo poo but I just want to bless a bald baby with my beautiful locks eventually.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sleppy posted:

On a somewhat related note that I have been meaning to ask, what are some good places to donate hair? I have read of organizations selling the hair or other shady poo poo but I just want to bless a bald baby with my beautiful locks eventually.

I assume you're talking about Locks of Love who everyone shits on. Here's a slopes article that explains why most of the donated hair doesn't go directly to patients or that they charge:

quote:

In the March 2015 Facebook post quoted above, the author claimed that Locks of Love only used a third of donated hair to craft wigs and sold the remaining two thirds to commercial hairpiece makers. Locks of Love themselves say that as much as 80% of donated hair isn't used to make hairpieces directly, but according to that organization and the wigmaker with whom they work, most donated hair cannot be used because it does not meet the necessary criteria for making hairpieces.

The interview quoted above (which took place in 2007) made mention of the sale of hair to keep the charity running. However, such an admission is not necessarily suspect. As explained earlier, the charity functions in part to convert a resource nearly all can provide (hair) into a usable product for children in need. If that need is aided by selling some donated hair to fund manufacturing costs and the charity's organizational needs, the charity's primary goal (acquiring and providing hairpieces to children) is still being served.

Locks of Love's web site addresses the matter of wig costs to recipients, noting that hairpieces are provided free to families who lack the means to purchase them. For others, the hairpieces are available on a sliding scale of prices depending upon their ability to pay

So yes, they do sell some of the hair to either fund operations or because the families aren't that in need. They also accept nearly all kinds of hair, and sell or toss the pieces that aren't good enough for wigs.Charity navigator also gives them a 4/4.

However, if you would like you explore other hair donation options, you can check out Panteen Beautiful Lengths and Wigs for Kids which have both been highly regarded.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been reading a lot about how various foodstuffs are made lately and I keep running across people describing themselves as homesteaders like this lady. From context they sound like small-scale/subsistence farmers. Who are these people and when did "homesteading" become a term?

The only context I'm familiar with homesteading in is where you go out and claim as much land as you can farm and the government eventually comes along and agrees that yes, that's your land e.g. during the 1800s in america. I'm pretty sure that's not what's being described here but what do I know; maybe there are hundreds of people wandering the empty places of America and building log cabins wherever they please.

sleppy posted:

Most places that cut hair will handle it for you. I've heard good things from friends who donate to Locks of Love but I've always let the hair dresser who cut my hair handle it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LLSix posted:

I've been reading a lot about how various foodstuffs are made lately and I keep running across people describing themselves as homesteaders like this lady. From context they sound like small-scale/subsistence farmers. Who are these people and when did "homesteading" become a term?

The only context I'm familiar with homesteading in is where you go out and claim as much land as you can farm and the government eventually comes along and agrees that yes, that's your land e.g. during the 1800s in america. I'm pretty sure that's not what's being described here but what do I know; maybe there are hundreds of people wandering the empty places of America and building log cabins wherever they please.

They're just people invoking the idea of those people from the 1800s to describe their modern lifestyle. "Choosing to be a modern smallhold farmer" just doesn't roll off the tongue the same way. I guess they realized calling themselves "pioneers" would sound stupider.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

LLSix posted:

Five Acres & Independence was published in 1973 and became quite popular with non-farm folks trying to subsist off a small parcel of land. Now that this ideals fit into 21st century trends of eco-green-permaculture-organics, there's even more people trying to have less third party inputs into their lives, or just live more simply (not that it's a simple task to homestead 100%).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been watching Downton Abbey recently, and saw a double chain on Lord Grantham's waistcoat. I know a single chain would go to a pocket watch; what would the other side be for?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

hooah posted:

I've been watching Downton Abbey recently, and saw a double chain on Lord Grantham's waistcoat. I know a single chain would go to a pocket watch; what would the other side be for?

Pen or pencil? There used to be quite a few ringtop models you could attach to a chain.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

hooah posted:

A charm, locket or key.

corinthian
Jun 3, 2007

what would george morris do?

dokmo posted:

At my hair salon we just sweep it up and put it in the trash! Immediately after the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, we saved it in separate bags because it was useful to cleanup efforts. But otherwise it's just trash.

Eta: About hair donation, we use mostly Pantene Beautiful Lengths and Children With Hair Loss, but each place has really persnickety rules about what they can accept - 6", 8", 10", grey hair or not, dyed hair or not, etc.

corinthian fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 21, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

greatn posted:

Yeah. Only for about two years though. I'm not worried about any kind of injury or health condition from it, and I don't want to put the guy on blast, he's very nice and it's his right to smoke during designated breaks in the designated area. Just wondering if there's a good way to scrub the smell out without myself making an environment other people will find unpleasant. One time at an old job I brought a febreeze thingy in to keep at my desk and discovered this actually really bothered some people who were sensitive to it.
Tell whomever is in charge of the great cube swap of 2016 that yours smells like cigarette smoke and you'd like them to change it. That should be your first step. The scrubbing and washing is basically worthless. Save that for Plan B.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why do I get crazy tripping acid dreams if I eat a lot of cheese for dinner?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It's possible it messes with your digestive system, making you more prone to waking up suddenly at night. Being woken up suddenly increases the odds you'll remember dreams. There's also the power of suggestion to think about- if you eat a bunch of cheese, that might make you subconsciously think of crazy dreams and then your subconscious obliges you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My friend would get horrible Lovecraftian nightmares if she ate ice cream within a few hours before bed. Clearly the answer is someone lacing cow feed with psychedelics.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have this sort of light in my kitchen, and it went out a few days ago. I bought a new globe for it, and it turned on fine, but now every now and then it just doesn't turn on. Do these things need replacement starters the way normal fluorescent lights do? I assume if it does it's the thing in the middle of the fixture; can I replace that or do I need an electrician?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm looking for a concise explanation of what the different measurements of radiation are, and to what degree they are harmful or not.

Rads, grays, sieverts, geiger counts and so on.

Every time radioactivity comes up in the news, different measurements and numbers are thrown about willy nilly and it's hard to tell what any of it means. Or they'll say something like"exposure comparable to the long mile island disaster" as if the layman knows exactly what that means :confused:

A graphic would be helpful for explaining to friends and relatives.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

I have this sort of light in my kitchen, and it went out a few days ago. I bought a new globe for it, and it turned on fine, but now every now and then it just doesn't turn on. Do these things need replacement starters the way normal fluorescent lights do? I assume if it does it's the thing in the middle of the fixture; can I replace that or do I need an electrician?

I don't know what it is, but it looks like if you need to replace it, it's pretty straightforward wiring and there's even a plug for one end. Just ensure the power's off.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My mom was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and possibly dementia as well. Apparently, while on vacation with my dad, she fell down in the hotel lobby just walking. Her primary care doctor wants her to get an MRI to check if she had some mini-strokes at some point.

What the gently caress do I do to prepare for this in terms of medical costs/care (eg what if she needs an in-house nurse in a few years?) and emotionally/mentally preparing myself for the worst to come? Seeing my grandmother post-stroke as a high schooler was fairly traumatic, but I'm older/more mature and a stronger human being now, so I've offered my dad multiple times to personally help out and step up because.... loving God drat it, she's my mother and she needs my help.

loving poo poo, I'm starting to cry thinking about this. :( I can't help it. Are there any resources here on SA to learn more about the nature of Alzheimer's like Google Doctor or even just other goons with immediate family suffering from. Alzheimer's to console with?

Also, with my grandpa on my dad's side developing severe Alzheimer's before he died and my mom clearly showing signs of it in her mid-60s, it's probably very likely genetically I might inherit the genetic conditions for developing it later in life as well. Is there anything a can do now as a late-20s guy to ward off or prevent Alzheimer's in myself for the future (eg diet? Exercise? Staying mentally fit through challenging reading? I haven't a clue...)?

I appreciate and any advice on this. At least I'm finally for-real getting my poo poo together with going back to school for a purpose and training for a specific 'big kid' adult white collar career so I actually have the mental and financial fortitude to help out and pitch in with my family versus the train wreck that I was in my early 20s.

(Also, gently caress you God, you sadistic motherfucking piece of poo poo. You can take your genetic fuckery like with Alzheimer's and cancer and go shove it right up your rear end. gently caress you as well for giving my mom breast cancer at one point, too. Gotta throw that in there too.)

E: Sorry this ended up being not so short. Better here for real advice versus wasting time with the sarcastic assholes over in E/N. I refuse to waste my god drat time or emotional resources on unimportant bullshit with this issue.

E2: I mainly need help with the emotional preparation part. Even with Googling it, there's nothing on a logical level that can really prepare me for 'losing' a very loved one and really just need to hear this stuff from somebody who can empathize and has survived the poo poo I'm likely to endure for the sake of helping my mom. Please help. :(

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I would disconnect the little ballast and take it with you to a Home Depot/Lowes to make sure you get the right one. It's and easy DYI replacement, just make sure you get all the same specs.