Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

Hey, it's just the afl that's bad. Nothing like that in the proud history of the NRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

hooman posted:

Scott Morrison attacks super funds not investing in coal for 'political reasons’

What actual investments in coal exist to get a return on investment at the moment?

Because from where I stand in the industry, I think "gently caress all and none" pretty well much covers it.

Unless of course ScottMo wants funds to piss their money away with the investment equivalent of magic beans to breed Unicorns. Which sort of sums up his performance to date quite nicely.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MiniSune posted:

What actual investments in coal exist to get a return on investment at the moment?

Because from where I stand in the industry, I think "gently caress all and none" pretty well much covers it.

Unless of course ScottMo wants funds to piss their money away with the investment equivalent of magic beans to breed Unicorns. Which sort of sums up his performance to date quite nicely.

It's really, really, transparently the second one.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

snoremac posted:

I wonder if Bolt privately rues being beholden to his audience. Like today after he showed uncharacteristic decency by recognizing the banana incident as racist:

You reap what you sow I guess.

Clearly she is not a racist, just deeply concerned about his safety at sea potassium deficiency.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

earlier today in Canberra:

Sick TISM gig

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

cheese-cube posted:

Sick TISM gig

TISM are great

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Actually TISM are poo poo.

E: vvv I was more thinking of this seminal classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szDOzLkqhm4 vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 22, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtRyUZYIvPM

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i was actually looking for that

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

cheese-cube posted:

Sick TISM gig

I genuinely think the smart and beautiful members of TISM would be proud of this crime, and adore it

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Four Corners was great in the confronting and surreal sense, in tonight's expose.

I've been working on a project documenting crimes against humanity in the Syrian revolution turned proxy war, for around 18 months.

I haven't seen a video spanning such a length of time of the children impacted by the Syrian war, so it really hit home the longevity of the symptoms from growing up in Aleppo/Syria as a whole..

The reactions of the children when they arrive at their new home in Germany was loving beautiful :(

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Aaand QandA has so far ruined the amazing work shown in 4 Corners.

Back to stats work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Research ‘must pass pub test’
Treasurer Scott Morrison has cautioned the Australian Research Council to consider the popularity of new research projects, amid pressure to impose a “pub test” on the agency’s decisions.
AT.THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU

looooooool

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

SynthOrange posted:

Treasurer Scott Morrison has cautioned the Australian Research Council to consider the popularity of new research projects, amid pressure to impose a “pub test” on the agency’s decisions.
AT.THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU

looooooool

Dictatorship of the publicantariat

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

iajanus posted:

Hey, it's just the afl that's bad. Nothing like that in the proud history of the NRL.

Bubbling.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SynthOrange posted:

AT.THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU

looooooool

By 2020, almost all forms of scientific, technological and cultural research in Australia has come to a complete halt.

On the upside our brewing capabilities are second to none, we lead the world in the field of footy tipping, and we're exporting new, top-quality Australian swear words at a rate we can all be proud of.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
loving glad I didn't decide to continue in Sociology.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm ok with this as long as Ethics Committee approval is also replaced with the pub test.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hahahaha it's unethical psychology time

ahhhh yeaaaah like idk i guess she'll be right

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oi Bazza whats this german drongo think he's on about, the curvature of space and time? Doesn't pass the pub test.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Oi Bazza whats this german drongo think he's on about, the curvature of space and time? Doesn't pass the pub test.

I wish he'd bend space and time and travel back to where he came from right sharpish.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
get me a mcsquared meal you fuckin kraut

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A helpful reminder of Michalea Cash's input by the Greens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PvctU6aHU0

So what the gently caress does "undermine" mean? Anything they want, apparently.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Solemn Sloth posted:

get me a mcsquared meal you fuckin kraut

This is way too clever, I'm not buying it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ewe2 posted:

So what the gently caress does "undermine" mean? Anything they want, apparently.

"this is as thick as it gets" - truth in advertising

"let's say there's a burning car" - a level of self awareness never before seen in Liberal politicians.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You could almost see the gears working behind the eyes trying to find the talking point that would be the correct "gotcha" to stop the lines of questioning.

Unsuccessfully, of course. Which necessitated the repetition of previous points in a flailing attempt to gain any traction.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
What sort of fuckwit pronounces it negociate?

And why didn't he ask what she thought the liberals' role was in creating the confusion around the agreement? If she can't point to anything wrong with the agreement other than 60,000 volunteers who are apparently upset, then what has upset them?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 22, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cleretic posted:

By 2020, almost all forms of scientific, technological and cultural research in Australia has come to a complete halt.

On the upside our brewing capabilities are second to none, we lead the world in the field of footy tipping, and we're exporting new, top-quality Australian swear words at a rate we can all be proud of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVNlvzzSFA&t=183s

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A High-Density EEG Investigation into Steady State Binaural Beat Stimulation

Abstract
Binaural beats are an auditory phenomenon that has been suggested to alter physiological and cognitive proces....

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What sort of fuckwit pronounces it negociate?

And why didn't he ask what she thought the liberals' role was in creating the confusion around the agreement? If she can't point to anything wrong with the agreement other than 60,000 volunteers who are apparently upset, then what has upset them?

The undermining of the CFA's ability to

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Abstract
Binaural beats are an auditory phenomenon that has been suggested to alter physiological and cognitive proces....

someone get llama on the line, quick

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Abstract

They had to publish a correction because their initial publication spelled one of the authors' names incorrectly :laugh:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Scott Morrison attacks super funds not investing in whale-oil for 'political reasons’

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

Bubbling with enthusiasm for the NRL.

ewe2 posted:

:aaaaa: Pro tier train wreckage.

I've been re-watching the West Wing and during the season four presidential campaign they talked about how it was ridiculous to try and condense issues like foreign policy to ten words. I then reflected on our current election campaigns and our three words. You can make fun of the Americans for being stupid but I think we've got them soundly beat.

Speaking of dumb:

The Arsetralian. I c/ped so you wouldn't ever click it!

quote:

$6bn a year fails to help Aborigines, says CIS report

CIS researcher Sara Hudson: ‘It’s important to ask the communities involved what needs to be done, rather than just telling them what will happen’. (Dangerously accurate)

STEPHEN FITZPATRICK - Indigenous Affairs Editor Sydney (I would have hoped that the 'Indigenous Affairs Editor' would have realised that using 'Aboriginal' in the headline was offensive, as indeed is the tone of the headline. He probably did a skit in black face to get the gig).

Indigenous affairs spending worth $5.9 billion a year is not ­delivering results because few of the schemes being funded are properly evaluated, the assessment of what is needed is ­inadequate and some programs are poorly designed. A landmark survey, which for the first time takes account of non-government organisation spending as well as that of federal, territory and state governments in indigenous affairs programs, has found that less than 10 per cent of a total 1082 programs had ever been evaluated. Of these 88 evaluations, few used methods that could provide evidence of the program’s effectiveness, the Centre for Independent Studies found. It documents annual spending on indigenous-specific programs by the federal government of $3.28bn, state and territory governments of $2.35bn and the indigenous not-for-profit sector of $224 million. It is expected that this third figure will be massively increased once further research takes into account non-indigenous NGO spending in the indigenous sector. Factoring in not-for-profit institutions such as universities could add billions of dollars to the total.

The report describes the figure of 1082 programs as “just the tip of the iceberg”.

The CIS study, by researcher Sara Hudson, has found instances such as an East Arnhem Land community with no notable history of suicides being required to undergo a suicide-awareness training program. Not only was the community not consulted about the need for the program, some of its young men had ­already been flown to a suicide-awareness program in another community at significant expense two years earlier. In Western Australia, however, where there is desperate need for suicide prevention work, $107m earmarked for relevant programs in communities went unspent, the report finds. It documents massive duplication of services, with Roebourne in Western Australia having 67 local service providers and more than 400 state and federal funded programs for a population of 1150; Toomelah in NSW has more than 70 service providers for a population of only 300.

Poor program design had meant that the federal government’s Indigenous Home Ownership program’s success rate of approving only 75 loans in a year equated to one loan for each ­person employed to run the ­program. Further, most of these loans were delivered to people who could have qualified for a mainstream loan. “It’s important to ask the communities involved what needs to be done, rather than just telling them what will happen,” Ms Hudson said. “Then, one simple way of ­addressing (the evaluation) issue is that evaluations should be funded as a part of the programs, to be performed alongside the implementation of the programs. That way you build evidence as you go. Some programs do this, but far from enough. Without all of this we just can’t know how money should be spent.” The review notes that of 550,000 indigenous Australians in the 2011 census, 65 per cent were in employment and living lives similar to other Australians; 22 per cent were welfare-­dependent and living in urban and regional areas with other welfare dependent Australians; and just 13 per cent, or 70,000, were welfare-dependent and living on indigenous land where education and work opportunities were often limited.(Clearly an enormous problem we can no longer afford to...)

This third group needed the greatest focus and yet most indigenous affairs policy tended to treat the entire indigenous polity as a homogenous group, the ­review found.

“Funding must be allocated on the basis of need and not just of ­indigeneity,” it notes. The report follows the ­Coalition government’s drastic reordering of indigenous affairs funding two years ago, when about 150 separate programs were ­rationalised from a range of agencies into five streams delivered from the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, and $500m was cut from the indigenous affairs budget. That process was harshly criticised in a Senate committee report in March that found the government’s new arrangements, known as the Indigenous ­Advancement Strategy, did not take enough account of indigenous needs, tended to award short-term and ad-hoc contracts to the detriment of the communities the programs were supposed to assist, and had not adequately informed indigenous Australians how the new arrangements worked.

An Australian National Audit Office assessment of the IAS is due in December.

The CIS report makes clear that without proper assessment of outcomes, it is impossible to know which programs are vital or productive, and it questions whether the federal government will be able to meet its budgeted expenditure under the IAS of $4.9bn over four years, given that $3.85bn will have been spent in the first two years. It also notes that while NSW, with the highest Aboriginal population of any state or territory, had the highest number of grant recipients, the monetary value of these grants was lower than those allocated to Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia combined.

Dead or assimilated by the end of this generation. When results matter! I don't know where to start. The completely disingenuous dog whistle headline, the blaming of bureaucracy, the hand wringing about current performance when everything possible to gently caress things up has been done since the nineties. Abolishing ATSIC was when we as a nation declared war on the indigenous population and then called in the bully boys to help in the extermination.

Bully boys you say? Even for you that's hyperbole Cartoon! Oh yeah?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/independent-review-into-afp-reveals-widespread/7776148

quote:

Independent review into AFP reveals widespread sexual harassment and bullying Tuesday 23 August 2016 7:37AM (view full episode)

An independent inquiry into workplace culture in the Australian Federal Police has revealed widespread sexual harassment and bullying. The six-month review found 46 per cent of women and 20 per cent of men reported having been sexually harassed within the past five years. The instances of sexual harassment within the workplace were almost double the national average. The review also found 62 per cent of men and 66 per cent of women reported they had been bullied in the past five years. The study into diversity and inclusion was conducted by former sex discrimination commissioner Elizabeth Broderick. She made 24 recommendations, including the establishment of a 15-member gender-balanced Cultural Reform Board. AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.
*clutches pearls.* How could we have ever known? :siren:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I actually really enjoyed seeing someone flip through an EBA while being asked questions in the exact same manner I would in an open book test I hadn't studied for.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Dead or assimilated by the end of this generation. When results matter! I don't know where to start. The completely disingenuous dog whistle headline, the blaming of bureaucracy, the hand wringing about current performance when everything possible to gently caress things up has been done since the nineties. Abolishing ATSIC was when we as a nation declared war on the indigenous population and then called in the bully boys to help in the extermination.

Do you get the feeling that there's a lot of turnover and the people responsible for spending the money didn't give a gently caress what it was spent on and no one is held responsible and the money is wasted? Almost like money is used to kill an issue until it so totally fucks things up that it becomes an issue in itself.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Do you get the feeling that there's a lot of turnover and the people responsible for spending the money didn't give a gently caress what it was spent on and no one is held responsible and the money is wasted? Almost like money is used to kill an issue until it so totally fucks things up that it becomes an issue in itself.
It works both ways. You spend the money to show you care and then you blame the victims when it fails to do any good. It is getting hard to conclude anything other than it is a deliberate strategy rather than misguided neglect. Now having said that there are a huge number of well informed and well intentioned people attempting to deliver good outcomes but they are screwed over every time in one way or another. The most recent incarnation is cyclic funding where nothing is agreed for more than twelve months. Many things aren't renewed regardless of outcomes and it all becomes one big churn that destroys both the clients and the professionals engaged to assist them. I could go on.

When equalised for socio-economic factors there is as high a prevalence of child sexual abuse in the general community and the intervention is........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuwPTxcu_Ug

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Speaking as someone who's done a lot of campaigning in Western Sydney, I present to you The Progressive Pub Test For Research:

quote:

"Hey, what do you reckon, I think they should just get a bunch of really good scientists to decide where our research money gets spent instead of letting bloody politicians do it"

"Farkin' oath"

Congratulations, you have just secured Western Sydney's support for the Australian Research Council

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 23, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-23/safe-schools-mp-lodges-petition-against-program-signed-by-17000/7777030
A petition against the Safe Schools program with more than 17,000 signatures from the Australian Chinese community has been tabled in the New South Wales Parliament.

The Liberal Member for Epping, Damien Tudehope, lodged the petition today and said there were significant concerns about the program in migrant communities in north-western Sydney and throughout the city.

Safe Schools is a federally funded anti-bullying program aimed at helping lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and/or intersex (LGBTI) school students and is administered by state and territory education departments.

The program was subject of a Federal Government review earlier this year after several conservative MPs aired concerns that the material was not age appropriate and more parental consent was needed.

The petition is calling on the program to be scrapped in NSW schools, saying it "promotes a particular ideology, including gender fluidity, that is contrary to our cultural and belief system".

Mr Tudehope said he represented one of the most multicultural electorates in Sydney.

"One thing that our migrant communities have in common is that they won't allow anyone interfering with their parental rights, and programs like Safe Schools represent an attack on the rights of all parents," Mr Tudehope said in a statement.

"Definitely there is a need to talk to kids about bullying, but it is clear that Safe Schools is not the answer.

The petition says the program "discriminates against children and parents from other cultures who have a view of sexual relationships involving male and female as normative".

Earlier this year, Federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham asked Emeritus Professor Bill Louden to conduct the review, after the Coalition MPs voiced concerns.

In March, the NSW Government described the subsequent Federal Government changes to Safe Schools as "sensible", despite concerns being raised elsewhere.

The ABC contacted several peak Chinese community groups, including the Australian Chinese Community Association and the Chinese Australian Forum, along with several Chinese businesses and community leaders in Sydney's north west.

The local organisations and community leaders confirmed the petition had been circulated, but declined to comment on it further.

Kenrick Cheah, the president of the Chinese Australian Forum, said he had not heard about the petition until today.

A spokesman for NSW Education Minister Adrian Piccoli said the Minister would not be commenting until the petition reached the floor of the Parliament.

He said every MP had the right to bring a petition to Parliament with over 10,000 signatures.

The petition has been tabled in Parliament and will be debated on September 22.

:lol:

Well you see actually safe schools isn't bad because homosexuality is an aberration, it's bad because it's racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

"Brian Cox? is his middle name 'sucks' hahahaha fuckin nerd *gulps XXXX*"

• Locked thread