Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
They posted a new teaser on their social media of a letter written in what appears to be blood with some smudged and its in cursive so this is the best I could get.

To the Gravelord,

I hope the carrier bird was successful in delivering you this message. Under normal circumstances I would have communed with you via arcane means. The risk of interception (blurred) in this case. It seems the Witch Hunters continue (blurred) disrupt such spells. So to keep our plans covert I have put blood to paper (this is blurred but what it looks like).

As you predicted he has given chase. My brothers and I will lead him a merry dance around the Old World if we have to. While he is drawn towards my mischief your own plans will be unshackled (I think its unshackled). I hope this proves beyond doubt that I am your worthy servant and that the secret knowledge you promised to impart will at last be mine.

I dare not say too much more in case the Witch Hunters, using more mundane methods, intercept this letter and this missive finds its way into their hands. Yet I feel this last warning must be given - I hear whispers that another who bears your name is abroad once again. If such rumors do not prove false, then we must prepare. It will be the ring that has brought him back - therein lies the source of his powers.

Your obedient servant,

big red smudge

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
"Ring brought him back" pretty much has to be Vlad, no? I'm not terribly excited about that but at least there should be a bonus Lord for the FLC.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah that's definitely Vlad.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That said, it's probably a double tease, since Vlad is obvious, but the guy writing the letter is presumably the second Vamp LL we're getting. (It helps that one of the CA reps was all, "But who's writing the letter, eh? EH?"

The name is of course smudged out, but someone will probably figure it out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll be surprised if they drop a heavy-hitter like Vlad this early in the game's lifetime, though I suppose he's going to get in one way or the other anyway.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Could they be setting up Vlad as the bad guy of the Wood Elf stuff coming up as that was data mined as the next bigger paid DLCs? I know nothing about Fantasy lore.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Could they be setting up Vlad as the bad guy of the Wood Elf stuff coming up as that was data mined as the next bigger paid DLCs? I know nothing about Fantasy lore.

I don't think that meshes with the lore at all but they could always be making up their own stories.

From what I've read online, Vlad is basically Mannfred except even stronger and better at everything because he's the first von Carstein. So if he's like that in-game he'll probably be the most obnoxious legendary lord ever.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think that meshes with the lore at all but they could always be making up their own stories.

From what I've read online, Vlad is basically Mannfred except even stronger and better at everything because he's the first von Carstein. So if he's like that in-game he'll probably be the most obnoxious legendary lord ever.

I wouldn't say that, Vlad is more of an crazy melee powerhouse who can only use Lore of Vampires, vs Mannfred being the super-wizard Vampire riding a zombie dragon.

I've seen people suggest Zacharias, but he was pretty-much Mannfred before Mannfred decided to become the new bald Nerd-Vampire on a dragon, so nah.

Nesferata is popular, but nothing in the letter suggests it's her.

Maybe a Blood Dragon or Konrad for the unfilled melee Vampire Lord niche, but again seems unlikely given the letter.

There was some Necromancer riding a corpse cart named Ghorst in Sigmars Blood, (Who worked for Mannfred and had a bunch of "brothers") but that would be the lamest lord ever so man I hope not.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

SickZip posted:

(except vampires for some reason)

To help vampire AI check their unit quality and related tables. They recruit too many wolves and bats both from buildings and from raise dead even after you've let them recruit everything easily--the amount they recruit could be fine if they knew how to really use them but they don't. For fellbats it's actually better to raise their quality number and lower the quality number of the higher tier ones to get them to recruit more of the better thing since if you just lower the quality value of fellbats they'll herpderp and recruit even more of them--"these are such great value!"--while ignoring the better tier.

For when you're not playing them yourself it can also help to edit their raise dead tables so they get less of the basic units. You don't really need to give them much more of the better units (like 1-2 maybe, maybe introduce them earlier) but they definitely don't need to be able to recruit a full stack of skeletons and zombies at any given time because they'll totally do it, those units will die easily and then all of their better stuff will crumble much easier. AI does not know how to use its spells well enough and it also doesn't tailor its tech or generals to going zombie or skeleton heavy. Those units are also terrible in autoresolve, which is the majority of all fights the AI sees.

Also, if you're not playing on very hard or legendary check out the campaign variables table and edit anything involving buildings or construction to match the very hard values. Default the AI needs to be on very hard or higher in order to construct buildings normally since otherwise, to balance its additional funding/money from paying less upkeep, it has a construction cooldown timer. This is a good way to increase the difficulty/fun even if you're not ready to play on this difficulty levels entirely yet. Or, at least I think these values are still there/used--haven't checked in a while but that's definitely how it worked from shogun 2 to attila.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really want Neferata.

(we won't get Neferata)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, I just watched Sarthoreal cast a Searing Rain that reduced a Handgunner unit to 33% health (but only 14 men dead), but whenever I use Gelt's magic, his feels more like a brisk shower.

At least Light magic's bolt and vortex spells kick some serious rear end; my Light Wizard can get a hundred kills with some luck on enemy grouping. That bolt spell does not discriminate either; in the same battle, a cast missed a giant I was targeting and the bolts went through the same unlucky Handgunners, teamkilling another 20 poor bastards :v:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SickZip posted:

I've been playing around with modding and I've decided that the AI's inability to stay a challenge is mainly due to the building system being way too complicated for it.
this is a good post and i'll be trying most of the things in it

Decus posted:

To help vampire AI check their unit quality and related tables.

For when you're not playing them yourself it can also help to edit their raise dead tables so they get less of the basic units.

where does unit quality live? cdir_military_generator_unit_qualities? how about raise dead?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I know there's a bunch of tips and links to videos in the OP, but could I get some more general tips for just playing the Grand Campaign? I've sunk about 30 hours into this game and I'm still just getting rocked on Easy mode.

How do I defend against multiple armies in the first 10~ turns? As Dwarfs I keep getting poo poo on by Grimgor or some random warchief if I move even a few spaces away from my initial cities. Someone comes and sacks the poo poo out of my Eastern provinces and I can't even catch them, and when I move away my main settlement gets raided.

Dwarfs also benefit hugely from raiding the Greenskins. Get two regions under your control (The Silver Road is an obvious one, the second one would probably be Iron Rock-Karak Dron-Karak Drazh), get the economy in order and hire another Lord for home defense, then send your main dude off to raid and sack Greenskins settlements before they get too far along in confederating. By about turn ~15-20, Iron Rock et. al. should be relatively undefended and the main orc stacks off warring between themselves. Don't hit an individual faction too hard--raid and sack all their settlements and then hit someone else, because if independent orc/goblin factions get hosed up too much, they'll just confederate into the Greenskins.

Don't bother occupying yet, you don't want to get overextended and force yourself onto the defensive. Build up a massive warchest while you build up that second stack at home for defense, and then work on a third stack to throw into raiding. If you really focus on the southern region, you can keep the Greenskins and all the orc/goblin factions totally off balance until you have overwhelming military superiority by virtue of just murdering their entire economies.

By this point you should have a hundred or two hundred thousand in the bank, and three or four stacks out raiding and murdering orcs as your main source of income. Your income may be borderline or in the red, but this is easily sustainable as long as you never slow down. Throw that money into upgrading your home cities and working up the tech trees. You will need an engineer's guild in one province capital, making that your specialty unit region, so make the other one focus on pure unit production.

At this point, you're ready to sweep the south in one big wave, just sieging down and then occupying one after another. If you targeted your raiding right, there should still be plenty of orcs and goblins that haven't confederated yet because the Greenskins were too weak, and therefore easily able to be gobbled up one at a time. At that point you're ready to confederate the other Dwarfs and take on the VCs.

My main mistakes on my first Dwarf campaign was not hitting the Greenskins hard enough from the start, and confederating Dwarfs before I had established dominance, which overextended my territory and made the southern war against the Greenskins bog down into trench warfare-pace, since they had plenty of time to confederate everyone. It took so long that I wasn't even done before Chaos had nuked the empire and made it all the way down to me. RIP

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How do I defend against flanking cavalry as Dwarfs? Should I just leave a few units on the sides to soak up damage, or do I actually want to chase them off? Things like the Chaos Marauders I just have no idea what to do other than just set some wolves or whatever on them.

I find Miners to be very useful here, although outside of Empire cavalry you don't see a lot of armored cavalry in the course of the Grand Campaign as Dwarfs, so armor-piercing isn't ideal, but they are cheap rear end units so whatever. Flanking cavalry will always be an annoyance (as it should be, as the main weakness of the Dwarfs is having their flanks turned), so I usually focus them down with a couple units of Quarrelers while Miners tie them up as best they can and screen for the Quarrelers. Quarrelers just all around own though, so even if cavalry manages to get a charge on them, just hit 'F' to make them switch to melee and they will beat the gently caress out of them without giving much of a poo poo. Great weapon Quarrelers literally give no fucks about cavalry whatsoever.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 22, 2016

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
DLC video on Greek Facebook page.

Ghost and Volkmar

Arch Lector and Strigoi Ghoul King

Mortis Engine (!!!!), Knights of the Blazing Sun, Corpse Cart, Free Company, and Flaggelants
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1184481238280867&id=135465356515799&_rdr

September 1st though...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

SickZip posted:

Ghost and Volkmar

Mortis Engine (!!!!), Knights of the Blazing Sun, Corpse Cart, Free Company, and Flaggelants
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1184481238280867&id=135465356515799&_rdr

September 1st though...

Holy crap, the Arch Baldie and Battle Pope Volkmar. Take my money, CA.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I don't think another necromancer LL is especially exciting but the rest looks great.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SickZip posted:

Ghost and Volkmar

September 1st though...

BATTLE POPE, WITH HIS SICK-rear end STATUE-CHARIOT

PROBABLY A WARRIOR-PRIEST GENERAL, HALLELUJAH

KNIGHTS OF THE BLAZING SUN, THE FIRST OF THE UNIQUE EMPIRE KNIGHT ORDERS

FREE COMPANY MILITIA, BUT THEY ALSO HAVE PISTOLS LIKE BADASS SWASHBUCKLERS

FLAGELLANTS, NAKED MEN CLOTHED IN FAITH AND INSANITY

YES

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is a recurring thing for me, but I am going to keep replaying the Greenskin campaign until I break it over my knee. It's just too bad that it's a 50/50 chance that the Dwarfs will confederate on turn four and then send three full stacks against Iron Rock before surging into your land. Currently I wiped out the southeast dwarfs, and now there are swarms of dwarfs pushing into my land. Grimgor and his waaagh are the only forces I can afford, and the bastards will not commit to field battles.

Throw away Death Pass and confederate with Crooked Moon once Karak Azul takes a couple of their settlements. Karak Eight Peaks is a better home base and starts with whatever building gives you Big 'Uns. Get an army of those going plus a waaagh!! and you've won the early game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
every dlc for this game is so good. they're gonna get me to spend like $300 before the year is over aren't they.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

SickZip posted:

Ghost and Volkmar

September 1st though...

:stare:

Guess I know when I'm starting an Empire campaign

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
€7.50 aint a bad price for that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SickZip posted:

Ghost and Volkmar

September 1st though...

On the one hand this all looks very cool. On the other hand it means I'm not buying this game until the full DLC cycle is up and I can just buy it all in one go. Hope they'll release the missing Beastmen units in a pack like this...

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

This game is super cool.

Did they ever fix the spellcasting on huge unit sizes being super weak? I'm playing as beastmen and I have this cool green explosion spell but I can hammer a unit with it and nobody dies.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SickZip posted:

Ghost and Volkmar

September 1st though...

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

what the heck???

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It got pulled.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Schnabel posted:

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

what the heck???

I saved the video since I figured it was a mistake. I'll post it when I get off work if no one beats me to it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mukip posted:

It got pulled.

Presumably because they didn't want to leak it early.

I would guess since the cat is already out of the bag we'll see a blog post later today.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

drat, missed out on it! Hopefully they post it again today.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
drat, that looks like better value than the beastmen pack. Definitely didn't think we would get the Mortis Engine in this game since it looks about as hard to make as the jabberslythe, hope they do it justice.

e; I mean, look at this:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kainser posted:

drat, that looks like better value than the beastmen pack. Definitely didn't think we would get the Mortis Engine in this game since it looks about as hard to make as the jabberslythe, hope they do it justice.

e; I mean, look at this:

It looked really loving cool in the video.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Mine was so blurry that I couldn't really make out the corpse cart or mortis engine but if the mortis engine looks anything like the model I can't wait to build armies around it. Didn't expect they would add this many new units to each faction.

Found a new link:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.facebook.com/TotalWarGreece/videos/1184481238280867/

http://imgur.com/a/al2nU

I wonder if Ghorst will be able to use a corpse cart as his version of a mount? If he's just another necromancer who can only be on foot like Kemmler I don't see the point of adding him.

https://heads-or-tails.obsidianportal.com/characters/helman-ghorst

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 22, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

:shepspends:

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Is this all freemium content coming out?

Because :vince:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NT Plus posted:

Is this all freemium content coming out?

Because :vince:

Hate to break it to you but...

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

In that case, they can have my cheddar.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Looks good as gently caress.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That looks way better than what I was expecting from the Lord pack. Except for the not featuring Dwarfs part.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Looks bad rear end but I'm even more pumped for the inevitable Dwarves and Greenskins additions that I'm guessing will show up around November if they keep roughly to their current pace.

Goddamn, I'm not sure I'll ever stop playing this game with all the new poo poo they're churning out.

2 Legendary Lords
2 new Lord types
5 new units
18 Regiments of Renown

Goddamn good for 10bux or whatever it works out to be in real money.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

fnordcircle posted:

Goddamn, I'm not sure I'll ever stop playing this game with all the new poo poo they're churning out.

I'm in the same boat. I'd tried playing No Man's Sky for a bit and I honestly get more done in this game for the time I invest into it than that one. Honestly, I'm 100% okay with this game being all that I play for the coming months. Could do so much worse. :hydrogen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ZearothK posted:

That looks way better than what I was expecting from the Lord pack. Except for the not featuring Dwarfs part.
It's definitely more than what's on their site:

quote:

Themed on a specific rivalry or conflict from the Warhammer Lore, Lord Packs contain brand new Legendary Lords and supporting units and characters for existing playable races. They typically include:
• 2 new playable Legendary Lords with their own narrative quest chains, campaign bonuses and quest items.
• 2 new Lords to serve as generals.
• A new unique Unit.
• New elite Units of Renown*.
And we're getting 5 new units.

• Locked thread