Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Personally I don't regret getting it, but it doesn't seem to scratch the same itch POE/Diablo are able to scratch. I just started Act II so maybe it gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is there anything in particular you feel like it's lacking? I mean not to get all up in your grill about it, this poo poo is all subjective, but if you can pinpoint anything, maybe we can turn you in the right direction to have more fun with the game?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I made a first character a few days ago, Arcanist/Shaman. Really don't know why I chose Shaman, I almost never go in for physical attacks. Made a second character today Nightblade/Occultist. I'm going a lazy man right-click proc build but there's not much from Occultist that would really help me besides the damage buffs to Poison.

I keep finding these untouched medals in the wild, do they do anything?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Untouched meals* they restore your constitution.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

watho posted:

Untouched meals* they restore your constitution.

That's what I get for not actually reading anything I see on the map. :shobon:

In other news my Nightblade/Occultist is pretty fun but sometimes I run into a hidden boss who just spams AOE fields nonstop and it's like, how am I supposed to stay still long enough to kill him without dying in the AOE?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Is there anything in particular you feel like it's lacking? I mean not to get all up in your grill about it, this poo poo is all subjective, but if you can pinpoint anything, maybe we can turn you in the right direction to have more fun with the game?

I've only played to like end of A2 elite, I've made probably a dozen different characters since I have severe alt-itis. I also have been preferring D3 and PoE lately, so here are my random collection of thoughts. Combat feels like more of a slog in grim dawn, and I don't know if that's just because I'm way more used to the pacing of the others or something else entirely. Solo play is boring, and none of my friends have gotten into grim dawn at all. The community is tiny, insular and I feel the way multiplayer is implemented actively discourages people from playing with randoms.

Play style wise, even though it's a mostly static map, the maps I've found don't seem to be accurate or updated and so given the nature of secret areas etc, I feel like I'm missing out on loot/quests if I don't explore the bulk of an area. Even ignoring that combat feels more cumbersome, it takes me way longer to level or get through an area than it would in d3/Poe. I don't know quest rewards well enough yet to know what to beeline for and what to ignore, and again the info on the wiki and elsewhere is out of date or inaccurate. I tried asking about some mechanics stuff etc. in discord and never got a response, so I gave up on that.

The above combined with infrequent epic/legendary drops in solo play means it takes quite a bit of play time for a build to even start to get off the ground, and none of my characters feel remotely 'complete'. I'm still missing a ton of recipes, and the epics/legendaries I've found aren't particularly interesting in that they don't really open up any new builds per se. Due to the variety in damage types & scaling, most of the items I've found aren't even useful for the characters I have.

The numerous damage types etc combined with the poor interface of the devotion constellations makes build mechanics fairly obtuse at first glance. I won't argue that PoE isn't obtuse either for a new player, but I've played a ton and am way more familiar with its system/mechanics. Lastly, while I played a poo poo ton of TQ back in the day and I generally couldn't care less about story or theme in an arpg, the world just doesn't grab me the way TQ did.

All that aside, I've still gotten a decent amount of enjoyment out of it, it's not like I'm bitter or regret the purchase. I just don't expect to keep coming back to it in the way I do for each new league in PoE for example.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Dahbadu posted:

You should be happy to know that it is actually one of the most powerful constellations in the game. For reals. It's also an aura proc, which is nuts.

It's certainly increased my murdering prowess, but yeah, it wasn't clear initially that it was an aura. I like it, and it levels wicked fast.

Eddain posted:

I made a first character a few days ago, Arcanist/Shaman. Really don't know why I chose Shaman, I almost never go in for physical attacks. Made a second character today Nightblade/Occultist. I'm going a lazy man right-click proc build but there's not much from Occultist that would really help me besides the damage buffs to Poison.

I keep finding these untouched medals in the wild, do they do anything?

Arcanist/Shaman is a great combo, even if you don't hack through zombies/demons with a two-handed weapon. Wind devil and storm totem are great and synergize well with the elemental damage boosts from arcanist.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So Nightblade has a bunch of skills that proc on default melee attack. Are multiple skills allowed to proc on the same attack?

And does anyone have a more permanent solution to my constant freezing problems? My game constantly locks up and the screen just freezes, and the temporary solution I've found says to alt-tab out, alt-enter to minimize the screen, and then go back into the game which fixes it but then it just freezes again later. It seems like every time the game freezes my Nvidia drivers have crashed. Are there beta drivers that would fix this or am I just screwed?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eddain posted:

So Nightblade has a bunch of skills that proc on default melee attack. Are multiple skills allowed to proc on the same attack?

No, they're Weapon Pool Skills (WPS)

That should be what you need to look up how they work. Short answer is every default attack rolls a %chance number 1-100, and your wps skills fill in points on the %line

It gets weirder if you have over 100% wps chance but that's the basics

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
22 hours in on my first character, a demolitionist/occultist. This game is fun :) I have like 15 devotion points so they're finally starting to make a cool impact. I want to reroll other characters but I am determined to beat the game with the guy I started with. If only I could find the piece of silk that the blacksmith needs to make my gunslinger relic, then I'll be in business.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Fun Times! posted:

22 hours in on my first character, a demolitionist/occultist. This game is fun :) I have like 15 devotion points so they're finally starting to make a cool impact. I want to reroll other characters but I am determined to beat the game with the guy I started with. If only I could find the piece of silk that the blacksmith needs to make my gunslinger relic, then I'll be in business.

Don't think you can find those. You should just be able to craft em

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah silk swatch is a crafted item. You need a resilient plating (also a crafted item) and some other stuff to make it.

Crafted components are on the rightmost tab in the blacksmith menu.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm playing a ranged demolitionist, and for my second class I specced into Soldier and I'm thinking I gimped myself. Any ideas? I'm level 28 and don't really want to start over with another demo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

I'm playing a ranged demolitionist, and for my second class I specced into Soldier and I'm thinking I gimped myself. Any ideas? I'm level 28 and don't really want to start over with another demo.

I did the same thing, and kept going out of pure stubbornness, I've put like 6 points into actual soldier skills.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

Doesn't Soldier have a decent set of ranged 2hand skills?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Eddain posted:

Doesn't Soldier have a decent set of ranged 2hand skills?

Other than the passives like Markovian's Advantage, Menhir's Will, Veterancy, etc I'm really not seeing it.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Commandos are dope. No matter what you're doing, Fighting Spirit, Military Conditioning and a few points into Menhir's Will are good investments. If you're using Fire Strike then grab the two weapon pool skills up top of Soldier for a 50% chance to do bonus poo poo. If you want to be a tank pick up a shield and another 10-20 points in soldier will make you way harder to kill.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Royal Scrub posted:

Commandos are dope. No matter what you're doing, Fighting Spirit, Military Conditioning and a few points into Menhir's Will are good investments. If you're using Fire Strike then grab the two weapon pool skills up top of Soldier for a 50% chance to do bonus poo poo. If you want to be a tank pick up a shield and another 10-20 points in soldier will make you way harder to kill.

1h ranged + shield is probably the single weakest setup in the game right now, I wouldn't do this

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly most classes + soldier work if you just think of solider as adding defense and not much more than that.

2h ranged commando doesn't benefit from it as much because Menhir's Will requires a shield or a melee weapon but it's still good.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I would think Cadence would be a great choice too if you want to focus on physical instead of fire. Deadly Momentum is amazing.

A searing striker is probably better off as demo/occult or demo/arcanist

cl_gibcount 9999 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 20, 2016

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
I went 1h/shield with my commando and its amazing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

karrethuun posted:

I went 1h/shield with my commando and its amazing.

What's your build?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

1h ranged + shield is probably the single weakest* setup in the game right now, I wouldn't do this

*In dps

In survivability, you're pretty much in easy mode.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The White Dragon posted:

Diablo 3 for all it's faults is polished as gently caress and incredibly easy to jump into multiplayer as well, which is a plus since I like sociality.

POE has such crazy synergy with different skills/builds/uniques that I'm finding fun new builds faster than I can level them, and the overall level of polish is still really good. Plus, while it's not D3 levels of ease of Multiplayer, having a goonguild built in is really nice.

Grim dawn isn't bad, but the enemies are fairly boring and seem to act fairly similarly (early on at least, could change once I get further in act II), the stat spreads on gear tends to be confusing, and for the most part nothing screams excitement at me.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Rokstar posted:

Honestly most classes + soldier work if you just think of solider as adding defense and not much more than that.

2h ranged commando doesn't benefit from it as much because Menhir's Will requires a shield or a melee weapon but it's still good.

I must've missed the "requires a shield or melee weapon" bit in Menhir's Will's description because I'm rocking a level 30 The Eye rifle atm and all the 1h ranged weapons seem to do way less damage.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

What's your build?

I haven't played for a bit and I think they've made some changes, but generally I went mostly for passives in the soldier tree with 50 points to grab menhir's bulwark. In demo also 50 points, maxed brimstone, max blackwater cocktail. Points into thermite mines but not maxed, points in the various passives, and I believe i maxed out blast shield. For devotions I stick eldritch fire on firestrike, fissure on thermite, and meteor onto blackwater. You can spec heavy into offense devotions given shield + soldier passives. I haven't played it in crucible yet but ive soloed a few ultimate nemesis with it so far.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've got my Saboteur up to Fort Ikon. Level 43 and useful drops are getting harder to find.
Going down the 'traps and devices' route is interesting - I've already had to fully respec once; starting with Flame Strike until I had enough levels to grab half a dozen points in Grenados. I've also just respecced Devotion points, to work towards the +Piercing damage constellations. There's still some awful stuff on that side of the map, though.
Not sure how viable this build will be long-term, since going for Blade Spirit will gimp how much I can pump the Canister Bomb/Grenado/Mortar enhancers. I figure max Improved Casing for the extra AOE, get the other enhancers halfway and hope I get enough +skills gear to make them useful.

Any thoughts?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

kingturnip posted:

I've got my Saboteur up to Fort Ikon. Level 43 and useful drops are getting harder to find.
Going down the 'traps and devices' route is interesting - I've already had to fully respec once; starting with Flame Strike until I had enough levels to grab half a dozen points in Grenados. I've also just respecced Devotion points, to work towards the +Piercing damage constellations. There's still some awful stuff on that side of the map, though.
Not sure how viable this build will be long-term, since going for Blade Spirit will gimp how much I can pump the Canister Bomb/Grenado/Mortar enhancers. I figure max Improved Casing for the extra AOE, get the other enhancers halfway and hope I get enough +skills gear to make them useful.

Any thoughts?

https://grimcalc.com/ <----Bookmark that. Don't spread yourself too thin. If you're going the piercing damage route, stick with Canister Bombs. They are great. If you're intent on Blade Spirit, that would work well with Veil of Shadow and Night's Chill. Add Flame Touched and Temper and the Fire Strike skill line and you're set offensively. Any other points can go into passives/healing.

On another note, I have 728 hours logged, but none with any type of summoner character. I've always wanted to try to build around Summon Familiar, but the last time I tried, Mend Flesh didn't really work too well if at all, and the same goes with Storm Spirit. Has Crate improved the function of that pet at all?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
The pet buff skills are a tiny bit better... Mend flesh is still completely pointless how ever.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Stokes posted:

https://grimcalc.com/ <----Bookmark that. Don't spread yourself too thin. If you're going the piercing damage route, stick with Canister Bombs. They are great. If you're intent on Blade Spirit, that would work well with Veil of Shadow and Night's Chill. Add Flame Touched and Temper and the Fire Strike skill line and you're set offensively. Any other points can go into passives/healing.

On another note, I have 728 hours logged, but none with any type of summoner character. I've always wanted to try to build around Summon Familiar, but the last time I tried, Mend Flesh didn't really work too well if at all, and the same goes with Storm Spirit. Has Crate improved the function of that pet at all?

Google lazy Pokemon master build. Once you start stacking pet dmg it tears poo poo up.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Hey guys, picked this up when it was on sale and am just starting act 2 on veteran difficulty. I'm running an occultist/soldier, and while he feels powerful, he also feels incredibly.... well, boring to play. I looked at some build guides online and followed their advice of stacking points on solael's witchfire, sigil of consumption, and cadence. The sigil is very strong, but dull as poo poo (throw magic circle on ground, wait for things to walk through it and fall over) and otherwise i'm really just using cadence which as far as i can tell is just an extra pop on every 3rd default melee attack.

How can I respec this character to be more "active" to play? I like explosions and gore and having a taskbar full of varied abilities, and it seems like the advice of most build guides is to stack one active skill and a bunch of passives. I'm not concerned at all about him being elite-viable, I just want to be more involved in combat than sigil - click click click - sigil.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

rj54x posted:

Hey guys, picked this up when it was on sale and am just starting act 2 on veteran difficulty. I'm running an occultist/soldier, and while he feels powerful, he also feels incredibly.... well, boring to play. I looked at some build guides online and followed their advice of stacking points on solael's witchfire, sigil of consumption, and cadence. The sigil is very strong, but dull as poo poo (throw magic circle on ground, wait for things to walk through it and fall over) and otherwise i'm really just using cadence which as far as i can tell is just an extra pop on every 3rd default melee attack.

How can I respec this character to be more "active" to play? I like explosions and gore and having a taskbar full of varied abilities, and it seems like the advice of most build guides is to stack one active skill and a bunch of passives. I'm not concerned at all about him being elite-viable, I just want to be more involved in combat than sigil - click click click - sigil.

Have you added any completed components to you gear? A ton of them provide extra skills to use on your hotbar without wasting any skill points.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Deki posted:

Diablo 3 for all it's faults is polished as gently caress and incredibly easy to jump into multiplayer as well, which is a plus since I like sociality.

POE has such crazy synergy with different skills/builds/uniques that I'm finding fun new builds faster than I can level them, and the overall level of polish is still really good. Plus, while it's not D3 levels of ease of Multiplayer, having a goonguild built in is really nice.

Grim dawn isn't bad, but the enemies are fairly boring and seem to act fairly similarly (early on at least, could change once I get further in act II), the stat spreads on gear tends to be confusing, and for the most part nothing screams excitement at me.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really feel the way you've felt about GD, but I appreciate your opinion.

I agree that the enemies in Act I start off pretty boring (hello zombies :( ), but by the time you reach the Warden's Laboratory near the end of Act 1 you have a decent variety. I honestly felt that the enemy variety was better in GD than PoE for the most part, especially earlier versions of PoE. About two years ago I've played PoE to about level 85 or so, to give you some context.

You may be able to get a goon group going in Discord, or at least use it to have some interaction with other goons. Feel free to ask in the thread if anyone would like to partner up with you and run through the game. I found a group of goons that way, and we play a couple of nights a week (we used to play more).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Crucible is growing on me the more I play. I just really enjoy arena type modes, I guess. :shrug:

Also, what's the best way/place to farm the Seal of Bindings? I'm at the point crafting wise where I'm going to need lots and lots of them and I kind of sold of all of them during my veteran playthrough because I thought they were just quest items.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

watho posted:

Crucible is growing on me the more I play. I just really enjoy arena type modes, I guess. :shrug:

Also, what's the best way/place to farm the Seal of Bindings? I'm at the point crafting wise where I'm going to need lots and lots of them and I kind of sold of all of them during my veteran playthrough because I thought they were just quest items.

You mean the Bindings of Bysmiel component or whatever it's called? Unfortunately it (like all other rare components) are just rare enemy drops and there's no specific place/enemy that is more likely to yield them, IIRC.

I've honestly started keeping a set of materials in GD Stash and just duping them when I run out. It's literally cheating but whatever.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

rj54x posted:

Here's something you can try: http://grimcalc.com/build/4CaAnwp

Probably use a Mark of Dreeg as a weapon component. Your hotkey bar will be filled up. If you can get a hold of a Mistborn relic, use that instead of Cadence as your auto-attack. Once you get some gear that gives you +1 to skills, you can spread some points around more.

You want to prioritize damage types in order of most important first: vitality, acid, fire/chaos damage.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Curse of Frailty is incredibly offensive when paired with a Devotion such as Wendigo's Mark. If you have skill points to spare, also increase Vulnerability.

Bloody Pox is also amazing to proc Devotions. Stick Aether Fire on it and have a good time.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dahbadu posted:

Curse of Frailty is incredibly offensive when paired with a Devotion such as Wendigo's Mark. If you have skill points to spare, also increase Vulnerability.

Bloody Pox is also amazing to proc Devotions. Stick Aether Fire on it and have a good time.

Back before the nerf to Rend, sticking Rend on Bloody Pox was goddamn amazing.

It's still pretty good, but it used to be stupid.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Here's something you can try: http://grimcalc.com/build/4CaAnwp

Probably use a Mark of Dreeg as a weapon component. Your hotkey bar will be filled up. If you can get a hold of a Mistborn relic, use that instead of Cadence as your auto-attack. Once you get some gear that gives you +1 to skills, you can spread some points around more.

You want to prioritize damage types in order of most important first: vitality, acid, fire/chaos damage.

Cool, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

watho posted:

blood grove is full of cultists that will drop the chthonic seals, any place with human chthonic enemies will do but I think blood grove has the largest concentration of them