Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I wish it had controller support.

Steam controller is still on sale for the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mak0rz posted:

I'm sad that the would-be successor to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, one of the funnest multiplayer experiences I ever had, turned out to be so weak. I'm glad I didn't buy Quake Wars.

I mean, it's not Brink.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

CJacobs posted:

I need some advice on level design. Here is the current project I'm working on (run it in Doom 2), or at least, the first three levels. I'm having trouble nailing down a good difficulty ramp- I'm wondering if the difficulty hike at level 3 is too much, too fast. The player gets the gatling gun at the end of level 2 and then level 3 opens with a "hey dummy, use the gatling gun you just got" section... but I played it on UV (I do most of my testing on Hurt Me Plenty) and I get owned pretty consistently. What I wanna know is, should I put in a level between 2 and 3 that has maybe one big arena room before throwing them into a bunch in the third level?

edit: Also there's no music because I haven't decided what to put in yet, so turn down your music unless you really like the doom 2 main menu theme :v:
It didn't seem all too hard to me, the closest I came to death was in the second arena, and that's because rockets and pinkies don't always mix well.:downs: The were some things that bugged me a bit, but mainly because I'm OCD like that. These were mainly some zero height sectors where there probably should be void, and unpegged textures on the sides of the library staircase.

Do you generally play Doom on HMP? If so, cool, but realize that what you find difficult will probably be a bit of a breeze for the average Doom player. As I have found out from DUMP3, even having your preferred difficulty be UV doesn't necessarily put you anywhere near on par with a bunch of the folks in the community. I had designed my map so that it sort of wrecked my poo poo unless I was being very careful, and Terminus still got through it pretty easily on his stream.

Final note, is there a reason for your wad to be UDMF? I didn't see anything that would keep it from being vanilla-compatible. Not that I mind. I get weirded out by the simple interface everytime I poke around in a Doom format map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for checking it out. And yeah, that's what I was afraid of- I haven't been playing Doom for 20 years like some people have (I only picked it up for the first time like 2 months ago now!) so it's hard to judge my own skill vs the skill of the people who will be playing my campaigns. I'll go on a tweaking spree. And I'll probably make a pass through it adding more monsters etc on UV once it's all finished, just to make UV appropriately harder.

As of right now there's no reason for it to be UDMF so to speak- I mainly use it because I like the massively expanded toolset it gives you. I'm sure I'll come up with some silly thing to do that UDMF is best at though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

My friends once co-op played through the trilogy back in college. Whenever a map had a Warthog in it they would ride it to the end of the map. I mean the very end, like long after you were supposed to disembark to walk into a building full of small narrow corridors. I could be misremembering this but near the end of Halo 2 there's a building with a slope/staircase that spiraled down a huge rectangular blue shaft. At the bottom there's a small doorway they couldn't fit the jeep through. Rather than get out and walk through they backtracked all the way outside to get another hog so they can ram it at full speed through the door. It loving worked.

That was from Halo 1- Silent Cartographer, midway through the game. The vehicles were only supposed to be used outdoors but you could shove them all the way to the level objective, several stories underground.

Halo 2 and later added vehicle damage (all H1 vehicles were totally invincible and passed all damage on to their occupants) so this sort of fuckery got a lot harder.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

That was from Halo 1- Silent Cartographer, midway through the game. The vehicles were only supposed to be used outdoors but you could shove them all the way to the level objective, several stories underground.

Halo 2 and later added vehicle damage (all H1 vehicles were totally invincible and passed all damage on to their occupants) so this sort of fuckery got a lot harder.

Ah yeah, that's it. I remember them complaining about vehicle damage after starting second game now.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mak0rz posted:

I'm sad that the would-be successor to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, one of the funnest multiplayer experiences I ever had, turned out to be so weak. I'm glad I didn't buy Quake Wars.

Be glad you didn't buy BRINK either, which was claimed to be the REAL successor to ET, in the "oh hey guys try to not remember we just came off doing Quake Wars ok" vein.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got brink at release on the 360 since we got a great goon group to play with on release, we even had one of Splash Damage's mappers (a goon aswell) in the group. We were all exited on release, a week later everyone traded his copy and we went back to play Black Ops.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

Do you generally play Doom on HMP? If so, cool, but realize that what you find difficult will probably be a bit of a breeze for the average Doom player. As I have found out from DUMP3, even having your preferred difficulty be UV doesn't necessarily put you anywhere near on par with a bunch of the folks in the community. I had designed my map so that it sort of wrecked my poo poo unless I was being very careful, and Terminus still got through it pretty easily on his stream.
I've noticed this myself. Kind of annoying, since I clearly appear to be below "average" as far as difficulty goes - I regularly get my poo poo wrecked on HMP in custom WADs like Ancient Aliens.

A friend of mine, Techokami, asked me what Doom WADs I would recommend for somebody who'd beaten Doom 2, and wanted more with a similar difficulty curve... but beyond the the Way id Did WADs, I didn't have a very good answer - most of the well-regarded map sets are more akin to Plutonia in difficulty, if not harder still.

Of course, then he revealed to me he hadn't played Plutonia. So I told him to play Plutonia. (I think he scaled back to TNT almost immediately, though. Admittedly, Plutonia's opening maps can be rather brutal.)

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

catlord posted:

Do you get more health as you go along in Deus Ex? I just blew up that boat and at some point I became able to withstand most small arms fire. I only really noticed it on the boat after I took out a small squad with the Dragon's Tooth as they kept firing at me, stuff that even a couple areas ago would have killed me. I didn't even have regeneration on.

By this point I won't say the game's really clicked for me, but I am definitely getting more enjoyment out of it than when I was slogging through the early levels.
You don't get more health but what might account for your experience is that at some point the basic enemies go from using pistols (which actually do damage) to assault rifles, which as mentioned previously are complete trash.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvuQEJWLqv4

I'm watching the E3 2001 DNF trailer again.

It still looks good.

:smith:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ETPC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvuQEJWLqv4

I'm watching the E3 2001 DNF trailer again.

It still looks good.

:smith:

I still love that "Hey pal! What're you gonna do, save the world all by yourself?" line.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm learning how to make outside areas! This is frightening and exciting new territory!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Godspeed, Jacobs.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

This is kind of interesting to see. Jacobs and I started making Doom maps about the same time, and have gone very different directions with it. He's spending (possibly) excessive amounts of time figuring out the aesthetic side of things, and I'm spending (definitely) excessive amounts of time figuring out the technical side of things. To wit, since I can't really show this off, I have an unfinished map with already almost a dozen scripts with around 150 lines of code (only slightly inflated by my obsessive formatting), a steadily growing MAPINFO file (also suffering from obsessive formatting), and a separate wad I'm using to figure out DECORATE so that I can shove my own custom weapons and enemies into the first one.
The MAPINFO file actually shrunk after I looked at the blatant (and ultimately pointless) Quake homage I had made as a difficulty select level, and realized it was pointless and didn't even remotely fit the feel of the megawad I'm building, even after I had gone through and completely overhauled the look and design of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Godspeed, Jacobs.

I have determined that the sky in the Doom engine is an arcane piece of magic uncovered in a tomb many eons ago. Other than that, it's going well!

LogicalFallacy posted:

This is kind of interesting to see. Jacobs and I started making Doom maps about the same time, and have gone very different directions with it. He's spending (possibly) excessive amounts of time figuring out the aesthetic side of things, and I'm spending (definitely) excessive amounts of time figuring out the technical side of things. To wit, since I can't really show this off, I have an unfinished map with already almost a dozen scripts with around 150 lines of code (only slightly inflated by my obsessive formatting), a steadily growing MAPINFO file (also suffering from obsessive formatting), and a separate wad I'm using to figure out DECORATE so that I can shove my own custom weapons and enemies into the first one.
The MAPINFO file actually shrunk after I looked at the blatant (and ultimately pointless) Quake homage I had made as a difficulty select level, and realized it was pointless and didn't even remotely fit the feel of the megawad I'm building, even after I had gone through and completely overhauled the look and design of it.

I still haven't really dabbled in scripting outside of that time I made light switches that work. Someday I'll learn how to optimize my files so they're not huge! (well, huge for Doom map standards)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lork posted:

You don't get more health but what might account for your experience is that at some point the basic enemies go from using pistols (which actually do damage) to assault rifles, which as mentioned previously are complete trash.

Huh. Yeah, I guess you're right, it was about that time. I'd assumed that when people said the assault rifle was useless that they meant in your hands, not just in general. Weird.

CJacobs posted:

I have determined that the sky in the Doom engine is an arcane piece of magic uncovered in a tomb many eons ago. Other than that, it's going well!

In what way? Don't you just set the sky to F_SKY and any sides you want to be sky to no textures? That's what I've been doing. Unless you mean changing it, I think that's handled in MAPINFO or something like that, I haven't messed around with it.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

skasion posted:

Corridor 7 maybe? It's a boring rear end wolfenclone

http://youtu.be/3ICP-4c23CA

Nah, I remember it being better looking than that. Thanks though.

Since it was probably something from a demo disc I'll try to find a list of all the PC Gamer demos around that time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

catlord posted:

In what way? Don't you just set the sky to F_SKY and any sides you want to be sky to no textures? That's what I've been doing. Unless you mean changing it, I think that's handled in MAPINFO or something like that, I haven't messed around with it.

Oh, I don't mean getting it to work is the arcane magic, the arcane magic is that it does work given what the Doom engine is.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

There's also some arcane magic involved in changing it, especially with some of the more nonstandard things that can be done with it. I've poked at some wads that use six images as sides of a cube for the sky, and my brain sort of melts when I look at them. And then I'm using BSKY_3 from the Realm667 Blood texture pack, which is a 1024x400 image that I had to double and place side by side with itself to make look right.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Remember that guy who remade his Bioshock level in Doom?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/doom-autobiography?utm_source=mbtwitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0UXCzcNXns

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You can play this trailer in-engine here: JPHOUSE.WAD.

Seems like a strange experiment, and I'm not entirely sure how he's going to execute on it - my brain keeps jumping to walking simulators like Gone Home and the BUILD-powered Electric Highways, but that seems too simple - but given Arcadia Demade, WADBOT and WADSmoosh (to say nothing of his industry work) he's likely got the chops to accomplish something that's at the least a bit out of the ordinary.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I sketched out a map layout while extremely bored at work that I had a really complicated idea for, you could go through it and it would be picked clean of items, no monsters or anything would be around, you could find some weapons here and there but everything was dilapidated and in ruins, sometimes cutting off access to some (key) areas, then when you went towards the (fake) exit it would throw you back to the start, while moving floors and ceilings to recreate halls and platforms and teleport monsters and items into place and make it seem like you've jumped back in time, and the map begins proper.

e: I'm pretty sure I played a map that did something almost like this honestly, there were a few switches you had to manipulate to ensure a platform would be in the right position when you went back/forth thru time.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The Kins posted:

You can play this trailer in-engine here: JPHOUSE.WAD.

Seems like a strange experiment, and I'm not entirely sure how he's going to execute on it - my brain keeps jumping to walking simulators like Gone Home and the BUILD-powered Electric Highways, but that seems too simple - but given Arcadia Demade, WADBOT and WADSmoosh (to say nothing of his industry work) he's likely got the chops to accomplish something that's at the least a bit out of the ordinary.

JP is a huge proponent of walking sims/wander games/video game tourism and worked with the people that went on to make Gone Home and Firewatch, so that's probably a reasonable assumption.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Useful technical info about Doom skies:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Sky
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky_hack

And speaking of sky wizardry, take a look at this. Requires ZDoom, doesn't work in GZDoom, but really worth a try.

The way it's done is that nearly every surface is a sky transfer, using various dithered patterns as skies.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Internet Friend posted:

JP is a huge proponent of walking sims/wander games/video game tourism and worked with the people that went on to make Gone Home and Firewatch, so that's probably a reasonable assumption.
I'm aware, but considering the possibilities for ZDoom to change things up to the point where genres could shift and blend depending on certain parts of the story (and considering the subject matter), just going a flat-out wander-around-and-look-at-things thing feels like a missed opportunity. Sort of like creating a children's cartoon about photorealistic animals grazing in a field without talking or going on wild adventures.

But what do I know? I just make funny action mods. Speaking of, I updated my MetaDoom project.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Ever since I first played Wolf ET like 13+ years ago I wanted to relive the glory days. I played Quake Wars, I played Brink, I played a ton of Dirty Bomb. None of them came close. The only solution I found was to reinstall ET. To my delight I found out the community is still very active, there are dozens of servers, many of them are usually full. It hasn't been replicated since and the community still sticks around because of it.

In fact just because I was writing up this post I booted the game up and went to my favorite server. It has 30 people playing on it right now. It's 1PM on a Monday. It's frustrating when you first start the game because almost all of the servers run bots to inflate the player count, and there are some "full" servers populated only with bots. Once you go through and figure out which servers are "real" though you never have a problem finding a full game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, it's not Brink.

I bought Quake Wars and Brink :(

I still feel sour about it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Casimir Radon posted:

The remakes I find myself most interested in are great premises with poor execution.

So:
Redneck Rampage
Messiah
Others...

Messiah :smith:

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Internet Friend posted:

I wouldn't discount him even if you aren't a fan of that stuff - I worked with him for a little while and found him to be a fascinating guy with a TON of great skills and ideas. I'm firmly convinced that if anyone can make something as bizarre as this work, it'll be him.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Segmentation Fault posted:

I still love that "Hey pal! What're you gonna do, save the world all by yourself?" line.

Definitely one of the best trailers ever. They did use that line in the finished game at least, there are some nods to the trailer. Too bad Gus didn't make it into the game, good ol' Gus. Maybe Gus will be in the next one.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
There should be some sub-rosa 07b demo servers going up tonight if you're into it. Fingers crossed.
http://www.crypticsea.com/subrosa/

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Godspeed, Jacobs.

Seeing how quickly CJacobs learned the ropes was what inspired me to start mapping as well. Tools like GZDoom Builder make it so easy. Since my DUMP3 submission I've been working on a little project that will have a dozen or so levels when finished. I want to learn how to make a really good WAD using only stock textures and no custom scripting before trying any advanced stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

All you new goons to Doom mapping really need to make maybe a 3 or 6 map miniwad :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NAG posted:

Seeing how quickly CJacobs learned the ropes was what inspired me to start mapping as well. Tools like GZDoom Builder make it so easy. Since my DUMP3 submission I've been working on a little project that will have a dozen or so levels when finished. I want to learn how to make a really good WAD using only stock textures and no custom scripting before trying any advanced stuff.

I like your usage of floor textures to make pools of blood. Good attention to detail!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All you new goons to Doom mapping really need to make maybe a 3 or 6 map miniwad :colbert:

I'm workin' on it!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Meanwhile, I'm attempting an Episode 1-esque map, constantly comparing its design and texturing to the official IWAD (E1M7 especially) to see what Romero did when making it.

...and I'm attempting to make it for WOOO 3. There's... a reason for that, I promise.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Man i really need to try making another Doom level. Always end up making a few rooms, texturing and adding detail, then having no idea how to expand it :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Still working slowly on my attempt at a QWTF map.
Somewhat stuck on what room themes and shapes to use next.

Brushwork looks silly when viewed from the outside.

(The floating half-cylinder on the right is a template used to carve a ceiling.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://puu.sh/qKCaM/cdbbf5d890.webm

I'm making my wad have a running gag where the player occasionally encounters this platform with the BFG on it and for one reason or another it always zooms away before they can grab it and releases a gaggle of monsters :laugh:

edit: Eventually I'll let them catch up to it though, I'm not that mean :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CJacobs posted:

I'm workin' on it!

Nice! To be specific, I mean that all three of you should combine to make like... 2 levels each or something. Maybe 3 levels, so you get a full 9. But if you're also making your own, that's awesome too, and I'll definitely be playing it if you release it!