Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If you are talking about single transferable voting or cumulative voting and the like, they have been called semi-proportional in specialized literature, precisely because of the issue I mentioned.

https://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Acrobat/Choosing%20Electoral%20Systems.pdf

http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/electoral-reform-and-voting-systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Antti posted:

How about you have a list of people, people vote for candidates on the list, the list is allocated seats based on their share and the seats are divided to the candidates who got the most votes on the list?

The list doesn't have to be parties. There can be independent lists. Or just go "welp" and use STV instead.

So people get multiple seats?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Discendo Vox posted:

So people get multiple seats?

No real reason to limit someone to one seat, is there?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

GlyphGryph posted:

No real reason to limit someone to one seat, is there?

Most people just have the one rear end.

:v:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Rygar201 posted:

Most people just have the one rear end.

:v:

Ironically, the Republicans have multiple!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i think some people having more votes in a congress could lead to some weird political dynamics, especially when those people help determine who it is that gets more votes. ie the congress decides that that guy who disagrees with <leader> on policy suddenly has his votes combined into the leaders seat next election.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ironically, the Republicans have multiple!

This checks out: they're asshats and two-faced

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I guess the any you'd do it is to allow someone to have multiple seats. So if there were 4 seats and one guy gets 50%~ of the vote, he gets two of the seats. I don't know that this would be a good idea at all, and in fact rather doubt it, but it is feasible as a concept.

We should just make it so every state only gets a few seats. That way every state is equal. We can start with 2 for the sake of simplicity.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Kalman posted:

"What's being desired" is the problem in the first place.

You know legislatures already use computer programs, right? No one is districting by hand these days. They're just using parameters you dislike.

Yes, I know, but there should be a disclosure/transparency requirement around how those work just as a districting commission's rules should be public knowledge to provide for oversight. I'm sure the computer's output is also tweaked by hand after the fact much of the time, too, which is where select individuals could introduce their own bias, which is why you'd need oversight.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

joepinetree posted:

If you are talking about single transferable voting or cumulative voting and the like, they have been called semi-proportional in specialized literature, precisely because of the issue I mentioned.

https://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Acrobat/Choosing%20Electoral%20Systems.pdf

http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/electoral-reform-and-voting-systems
I'll concede the standard poly-sci definition of "proportional representation" is a bit narrow in this sense -- implying that parties are the thing that should be proportionally represented and then reasoning backwards to see how voting lines up.

Cumulative and SNTV voting are reasonably "semi-proportional" by any definition, since in order to have a proportional outcome voters may need some information about where their relative strength lies. This is why Japanese political parties ask their supporters to vote for particular candidates depending on when the voter's birthday was. But proportional outcomes are at least possible, and it's clear how to move to better systems from them.

But why use something so imprecise as a party when voters might legitimately exist between several positions and can express preferences between them? That's exactly what ranked voting in STV does.

If voters in STV treat parties as one big slate (and don't intermix two parties together in their rankings), then STV behaves proportionally even by the narrow definition. It's only "semi" proportional when the voters themselves are!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Not a supreme court thing. But how serious are the new claims in the kesha case?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Little_wh0re posted:

Not a supreme court thing. But how serious are the new claims in the kesha case?

The "the judge's husband is a partner at Proskauer, and Sony is Proskauer's client, bit?"

If so, it depends. There's probably a sliding scale from "the judge's husband didn't even know Sony was a client" to "the judge's husband is in charge of the Sony relationship for Proskauer", with some intermediate positions like "the judge's husband was vaguely aware Sony was a client" and "the judge's husband has worked on some minimal Sony matters."

I haven't seen any reports giving details on where on the scale this is.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

The "the judge's husband is a partner at Proskauer, and Sony is Proskauer's client, bit?"

If so, it depends. There's probably a sliding scale from "the judge's husband didn't even know Sony was a client" to "the judge's husband is in charge of the Sony relationship for Proskauer", with some intermediate positions like "the judge's husband was vaguely aware Sony was a client" and "the judge's husband has worked on some minimal Sony matters."

I haven't seen any reports giving details on where on the scale this is.

"Past long-standing chair of Proskauer’s Health Care Department, Ed Kornreich is a recognized authority on the legal, regulatory and business issues related to health care services."

Gonna guess that this is going to be on the vague awareness side of things.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why do you even need regional representation in the House? The states have a significant amount of lawmaking power, so some regional interests are naturally decided on a regional level. And since each state has two Senators, regions already have a voice in federal lawmaking. Why do House seats need to represent regional interests as well, instead of representing a majority of all people in the USA, wherever they may live? Even the President is elected on a state-by-state basis! Would it really hurt to have one legislative body that actually represents the national majority?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You want the House, a body with 435 voting members, to have each member voted on by the entire country? How many elections do you think people can pay attention to?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mors Rattus posted:

You want the House, a body with 435 voting members, to have each member voted on by the entire country? How many elections do you think people can pay attention to?

It’s almost as though there are solutions to this that don’t involve four hundred and thirty‐five separate elections.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I no longer have any idea whether someone's being facetious or not in this electoral system discussion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Platystemon posted:

It’s almost as though there are solutions to this that don’t involve four hundred and thirty‐five separate elections.

Yeah, maybe one election, and the winner of that election can be represented by a single person.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

computer parts posted:

Yeah, maybe one election, and the winner of that election can be represented by a single person.

Ugh, you are deliberately overlooking the proportional representation part. Come on.

(I don't actually care any more, Heil Hitler.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Antti posted:

I no longer have any idea whether someone's being facetious or not in this electoral system discussion.

It is a mystery.

computer parts posted:

Let's just have the House be made up of the people that get the 10 largest portiosn of votes, and they each get exactly as many "seats" in the House as they received in the election. One election, ten winners, 130 million seats.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm honestly unclear on what problems decreasing regional representation is supposed to solve, other than "Republicans getting elected" and "funny district shapes."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm honestly unclear on what problems decreasing regional representation is supposed to solve, other than "Republicans getting elected" and "funny district shapes."

It obviously solves the problem of supreme court related discussion in supreme court threads.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

The perversion of democracy is a good one

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is democracy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What cases have already been presented at the Supreme Court and may be announced this fall? Or do they start from scratch every session?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also you should not use the word gerrymander so much because it's a pejorative which begs the question and it's completely vague.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Coming back to the Fourth Amendment, the Sixth Circuit today issued an opinion touching upon border searches. The concurrence summarized 4A jurisprudence regarding border searches, and exemplifies what I was saying about how border searches fall into their own category of analysis, completely inapplicable to searches of homes:

link to opinion posted:

“A search without a warrant is ‘per se unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment subject only to a few specifically established and well-delineated exceptions.’” United States v. Boumelhem, 339 F.3d 414, 420 (6th Cir. 2003) (quoting Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347, 357 (1967)). “The border search exception generally provides that routine searches of the persons and effects of [those who enter the country from another country] are not subject to any requirement of reasonable suspicion, probable cause, or warrant.” Id.

The primary purpose for this exception is to allow the government to invoke its “longstanding right . . . to protect itself by stopping and examining persons and property crossing into this country.” See United States v. Flores-Montano, 541 U.S. 149, 152 (2004). In Boumelhem, we recognized that this exception applies equally to those who are exiting the country. Boumelhem, 339 F.3d at 422 (concluding that “the United States’s interest in preventing the export of weapons to other countries also implicates the sovereign’s interest in protecting itself”). The application of the border search exception “must remain tethered to its primary purpose.” United States v. Humphries, 308 F. App’x 892, 896, n.1 (6th Cir. 2009).

As the Supreme Court has recognized, “[b]order searches . . . have been considered to be ‘reasonable’ by the single fact that the person or item in question had entered into our country from the outside.” United States v. Ramsey, 431 U.S. 606, 619 (1977) (emphasis added). No. 15-2128 D.E. v. Doe, et al. Page 8 At least eight other circuits have also recognized this fact. United States v. Irving, 452 F.3d 110, 123 (2d Cir. 2006) (“[R]outine border searches of a person’s belongings are made reasonable by that person’s decision to enter this country.”); United States v. Cortez-Rocha, 394 F.3d 1115, 1118-119 (9th Cir. 2004) (“Border searches . . . have been considered to be reasonable by the single fact that the person or item in question had entered into our country from outside.”); United States v. Oriakhi, 57 F.3d 1290, 1295 (4th Cir. 1995) (same); United States v. Victoria-Peguero, 920 F.2d 77, 79 (1st Cir. 1990) (same); United States v. Jackson, 825 F.2d 853, 858 (5th Cir. 1987) (same); United States v. Mayer, 818 F.2d 725, 727 (10th Cir. 1987) (same); United States v. Glasser, 750 F.2d 1197, 1201 (3d Cir. 1984) (same); United States v. Garcia, 672 F.2d 1349, 1354 (11th Cir. 1982) (same).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

euphronius posted:

Also you should not use the word gerrymander so much because it's a pejorative which begs the question and it's completely vague.

Antti posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everyone agrees gerrymandering is bad. By definition it's bad.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Dead Reckoning posted:

What's the difference between cutting minority voting power with unequal old districts and drawing new districts with the same goal? The Supreme Court clearly ruled against the former, but they've waffled on the latter.

"One man one vote" is a reasonable concept. It seems only logical to reevaluate the electoral system when votes are objectively unequal. Why are the only people who get to decide the fate of Congress those who happen to live in the very rare swing seat?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowHawk posted:

"One man one vote" is a reasonable concept. It seems only logical to reevaluate the electoral system when votes are objectively unequal. Why are the only people who get to decide the fate of Congress those who happen to live in the very rare swing seat?

In terms of individual votes, your vote matters about equally no matter where you live. Even if it came down to a situation where your side had +1 vote over the other side, your individual vote still only matters as much as everyone else who voted the same way (i.e., incredibly minuscule).

"Swing Seats" are only valuable in that the probability of winning them is uncertain. In a case like 2016, supposedly safe seats are becoming swing seats, and vice versa. Does that mean the latter voters no longer matter?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
435 is a very stupid number over a decade after American Idol managed tallying the choice of millions more voters. Any solution to gerrymandering that doesn't include expanded the house can only exacerbate the situation. Put in enough reps and gerrymandering becomes a nonissue. Too expensive? 10x the reps won't need the same staff. They can do the copying and drafting and other work themselves.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Maybe the gerrymandering and representation problem posting could go in its own thread since it doesn't have much to do with the SCOTUS or American law generally?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

computer parts posted:

In terms of individual votes, your vote matters about equally no matter where you live. Even if it came down to a situation where your side had +1 vote over the other side, your individual vote still only matters as much as everyone else who voted the same way (i.e., incredibly minuscule).

"Swing Seats" are only valuable in that the probability of winning them is uncertain. In a case like 2016, supposedly safe seats are becoming swing seats, and vice versa. Does that mean the latter voters no longer matter?
This view is inconsistent with the idea that there exist unconstitutional forms of redistricting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowHawk posted:

This view is inconsistent with the idea that there exist unconstitutional forms of redistricting.

It's unconstitutional to district against (certain) groups of people, not Joe Minority specifically.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

computer parts posted:

It's unconstitutional to district against (certain) groups of people, not Joe Minority specifically.
But how could you district "against" according to that reasoning?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowHawk posted:

But how could you district "against" according to that reasoning?

For one example, dividing up a different cultural region into separate districts (like the area which a church services).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Please open another thread for revolutionary redistricting fantasies, if for no other reason than so the Supreme Court thread can be about the Supreme Court.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In fairness, it's going to be a month before anything happens at the Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DARPA posted:

435 is a very stupid number over a decade after American Idol managed tallying the choice of millions more voters. Any solution to gerrymandering that doesn't include expanded the house can only exacerbate the situation. Put in enough reps and gerrymandering becomes a nonissue. Too expensive? 10x the reps won't need the same staff. They can do the copying and drafting and other work themselves.

Congratulations, you've come up with lobbyist's wet dream - a bunch of people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing and have zero support staff so they'll happily listen to whatever a lobbyist proposes.