Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ranbo das posted:

I think "birthday gifts" and "multiple gifts just because we haven't seen each other in a while" are basically different planets as far as gifting is concerned. And poo poo, these days I don't even really do birthday gifts to friends, birthdays are more go out and drink occasions.

I mean, it's def rare and yeah most people will just buy your drinks nowadays.

I'm simply saying if a male friend gave me a gift it wouldn't be weird for me, or if I saw some knicknack in a store that I knew my friend would absolutely love I'll prolly pick it up for them (again, rare though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

the macho poo poo makes sense. not only is it a good thing to do but if you actually want to be the platonic ideal of a PUA and just have lots of casual sex with supermodels you're going to have to look like chris hemsworth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i don't think macho has to do with your looks, it's more like 'suck it up don't be a little bitch boy everyone has it rough just internalize your feelings and problems pussyman. NO HOMO.'

\/\/\/ idk why you think the only options are be an emotionally abusive nice guy nerd or be a macho rear end in a top hat. you could just like, be your own self person.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

nobody is going to put up with a bunch of emotionally abusive poo poo from a doughy anime nerd. the same thing happens to hot girls being able to walk all over dudes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There should almost be a gym for these weird nerdlings so they can work out and put themselves together without the intermediate stage where they creep on women at the gym. That, and based on the annual New Year's Gym Thread here, people are loving savage to people first getting into fitness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't know, it just strikes me that dudes seem to have a lot of "friends" that are more like activity buddies. To me, a friend is someone who is so solidly on your team that no one is keeping score of whatever, your "stuff" is basically their stuff, their feelings are your feelings, everyone gives as they can and only takes their fair share.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I don't know, it just strikes me that dudes seem to have a lot of "friends" that are more like activity buddies.

I mean I guess. I've got friends who are pretty much activity buddies and I've got friends who I just chill with and shoot the poo poo too. I've got friends who are both.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

There should almost be a gym for these weird nerdlings so they can work out and put themselves together without the intermediate stage where they creep on women at the gym. That, and based on the annual New Year's Gym Thread here, people are loving savage to people first getting into fitness.

it definitely happens. if you're a doughy nerdass just stick to the machines and stay away from the EXTREME WORKOUT gyms and you'll be fine

reminder that we have a solid 10-15 people on here that have legit brokebrains about fat people and they can never shut the hell up about them. they aren't rational

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pick posted:

I don't know, it just strikes me that dudes seem to have a lot of "friends" that are more like activity buddies.

Intimacy between straight men? WHaaaat?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sometimes it's a little TOO intimate

like when your friend calls excitedly at 2am to tell you about the trans girl they just hooked up with. Like cool guy but this isn't information I need at this juncture lol.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pick posted:

I don't know, it just strikes me that dudes seem to have a lot of "friends" that are more like activity buddies. To me, a friend is someone who is so solidly on your team that no one is keeping score of whatever, your "stuff" is basically their stuff, their feelings are your feelings, everyone gives as they can and only takes their fair share.

its almost like men and women function on different emotional levels and handle relationships in their lives differently

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I used to hang out with 2 girls from a retail job (years ago) because I wanted to have sex with them. We go to a party or bar and they hang out with dudes, I'm not trying to be a creeper so I just try to be friends with them. But then if they see me chatting with a girl, they come and like blow up my spot/get the attention back on them? Both of them did that on different occasions, is it just because they are crazy bitches? I kinda knew they were from the start but you gotta put in your hours to cash in that sex token.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I mean I guess. I've got friends who are pretty much activity buddies and I've got friends who I just chill with and shoot the poo poo too. I've got friends who are both.

How many of your friends have a permanent key to your house and implicit permission to borrow your stuff without asking?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

all my friendships are centered around materialism

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Business Gorillas posted:

its almost like men and women function on different emotional levels and handle relationships in their lives differently

Yeah but it comes across that men expect their gf to do the heavy lifting for a ton of the emotional weight that their friends ought to be helping them with already

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

if u dont have stuff then we cant be friends sorry bro

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

How many of your friends have a permanent key to your house and implicit permission to borrow your stuff without asking?

Not counting the roommate friend? 2 (well I moved so not anymore but I did)

idk about the borrowing stuff without asking (what stuff?) but come in and smoke a bowl and have some food sure.

tbf I've known them since grade school (one since 1st grade)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Just my racist friend Kramer

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

:chloe:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pick posted:

You have an extremely high threshold for what counts as friendship

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Arian_Samurai posted:

Just my racist friend Kramer

a hearty guffah from me and i dont even watch seinfields

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
The whole gift giving thing is not that complicated. Are you receiving something that is thoughtful and nice on a rare basis? That is fine. But lots of regular normal gifts/relatively expensive gifts that a person directs at you and only you.. ? yeah, I refuse to believe that it never crosses your mind that there is something else going on there.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

That's like ultra best friend status and they are rare because people will gently caress you over.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Probably the third time I couldn't find something I would start thinking I was losing my mind.

Uh Pick, only the people that live in the house get keys??

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Eh at one point I was at my friend's house so much in late HS early college that his mom just gave me the spare key.

:shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

That's like ultra best friend status and they are rare because people will gently caress you over.

Not that rare though...?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pick posted:

Yeah but it comes across that men expect their gf to do the heavy lifting for a ton of the emotional weight that their friends ought to be helping them with already

haha yeah this definitely isn't a two way street

Moridin920 posted:

it sounds like Pick has a very certain definition of what a friend is and if you don't meet her unique definition you guys actually aren't friends

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pick posted:

One of the benefits of having an intimate relationship with someone is that you can get things from them emotionally that you can't get from your friends. Otherwise there'd be no difference between being someone's friend and being someone's girl/boyfriend other than the periodic genital stimulation component.

Pick posted:

None of them. They can ask if they can come over and I'll usually say yes because we're friends. They can ask if they can borrow something and I'll usually say yes because we're friends. This is normal.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pick's Friend: Hey Pick, did you steal my TV?
Pick: Woah hey, I thought we were friends here. Jeeze!

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i have a specific tiered frienship status chart
its like

friends: gives u hj
best friends: gives u hj + butt stuff
ultra best friends: just butt stuff

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's good to know that people who over analyze and idealize relationships also do the same to friendships.

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Not that rare though...?

All that stuff sounds like something an overly trustful, probably codependent, person with no sense of personal boundaries and privacy would think is good and cool, but then again I'm from a culture where people tend to keep even their closest friends at an arm's length

e: Also CULTISH

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

it sounds like Pick has a very certain definition of what a friend is and if you don't meet her unique definition you guys actually aren't friends

I wouldn't say like, "so-and-so isn't my friend because she's never asked me to horsesit" but there's certainly an acquaintance/friend divide in life. I don't know, I generally haven't really had any problems when I trusted the people I care about and know well?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

One of the benefits of having an intimate relationship with someone is that you can get things from them emotionally that you can't get from your friends. Otherwise there'd be no difference between being someone's friend and being someone's girl/boyfriend other than the periodic genital stimulation component.

this is actually a think and its called a fuckbuddy. literally the only thing dividing a fuckbuddy and a boyfriend/girlfriend is emotional support, sort of like the only thing dividing a boyfriend/girlfriend and a friend is sexhaving

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

None of them. They can ask if they can come over and I'll usually say yes because we're friends. They can ask if they can borrow something and I'll usually say yes because we're friends. This is normal.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

it definitely happens. if you're a doughy nerdass just stick to the machines and stay away from the EXTREME WORKOUT gyms and you'll be fine

reminder that we have a solid 10-15 people on here that have legit brokebrains about fat people and they can never shut the hell up about them. they aren't rational

Man I'm naturally thin, a vegetarian, and last year got laid out for a couple of months by severe illness that caused me to waste away into a skeleton. First time i went back to a gym I was struggling to lift one of the weakass cardio weights and some dudes gave me poo poo. I responded by saying "what is this, highschool?" and carrying on seemingly unfazed, but inside I was hurting. It was one of those rare times that I wish that I, being a man, wasn't incapable of having genuine friendships, which might otherwise have provided me with emotional support, if only both the need for such a thing and the ability to provide it were not biologically and socially impossible for people of my gender.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
DOes anyone want to be friends or girlfriend, provide genital stimulation, or emotional support?? PM me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I just live in a weirdly nice community or something but do adults really just make fun of other adults who they don't know whatsoever in real life like that? Like to the point that going to a new gym is uncomfortable?

Sounds like a good way to get your rear end beat one day to me lol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

People talking poo poo at the gym shouldn't cause you to break down man. You did the right thing by just doing your thing, but you might've blown in up in your head.

e: Most gyms have "regulars" from the bodybuilding crowd. They're all dipshits and you should ignore them, but they're there all day every day and will make comments to get you off a weight or machine they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

Man I'm naturally thin, a vegetarian, and last year got laid out for a couple of months by severe illness that caused me to waste away into a skeleton. First time i went back to a gym I was struggling to lift one of the weakass cardio weights and some dudes gave me poo poo. I responded by saying "what is this, highschool?" and carrying on seemingly unfazed, but inside I was hurting. It was one of those rare times that I wish that I, being a man, wasn't incapable of having genuine friendships, which might otherwise have provided me with emotional support, if only both the need for such a thing and the ability to provide it were not biologically and socially impossible for people of my gender.

you don't need emotional support for this, you just need to say "gently caress you buddy i was in the hospital for months, i hope you feel good about yourself" and ruin that dude's life for the next couple days

edit: that other dude is right a single off the cuff remarks didn't cause the issue, its your zero self esteem and massive sadbrains. go get help

• Locked thread