Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

nikosoft posted:

Thanks Goons, I had no idea that it was a Charge card rather than a Credit card - not that it matters, but it's good to know. And yeah, I've just been redeeming the points to pay off charges all these years, which doesn't seem to be a good value at all. I definitely need to switch. I know closing a card with 15 years of history on it isn't necessarily a good thing, but I have no reason to worry about my credit score in the near or far future, so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about it.

It'll stay on your report for ten years anyway; redeeming MR points for cash is terrible value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Never convert an Amex because it removes the ability to ever get the signup bonus of whatever product you converted it to.

That said, if you've had the product before, the above doesn't apply.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Chase is coming out with the Sapphire Reserve, $450 annual fee but with a $300 airline credit that supposedly covers airfare, as well as the usual $100 Global Entry credit and Priority Pass access. 100,000 UR bonus with $4000 spending in 3 months, and it earns 3x UR on travel and dining purchases.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-announces-the-sapphire-reserve-card

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

surrender posted:

Chase is coming out with the Sapphire Reserve, $450 annual fee but with a $300 airline credit that supposedly covers airfare, as well as the usual $100 Global Entry credit and Priority Pass access. 100,000 UR bonus with $4000 spending in 3 months, and it earns 3x UR on travel and dining purchases.

Nice, but I'm guessing it has the same limitations with too many card pulls in the last 2 years that other Chase cards do? I might try for it anyway, it's pretty much a no-brainer on that bonus.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Reports are no, you can still get approved if you're over 5/24.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

surrender posted:

Of course I just hit my 5/24 with the United Explorer Plus :saddowns:

Cacafuego posted:

Reports are no, you can still get approved if you're over 5/24.

Ruh roh, might try this later this year.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

surrender posted:

God dammit I just signed up for the chase sapphire preferred as my first and only travel rewards card

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

God dammit I just signed up for the chase sapphire preferred as my first and only travel rewards card

Meet the minimum spend, get the bonus, then apply for this one!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Cacafuego posted:

Meet the minimum spend, get the bonus, then apply for this one!

I wasn't looking to have multiple cards with yearly fees. Guess I could do this and then cancel the first

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Spikes32 posted:

Yeah, I signed up for the Preferred exactly 3 months ago and got my bonus already, so I'm going to apply for the Reserve and then transfer over the UR points before cancelling the Preferred. Thankfully, I pay for my own international travel and then get reimbursed, so meeting the net spend should be easy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spikes32 posted:

I wasn't looking to have multiple cards with yearly fees. Guess I could do this and then cancel the first

Or the other way around... that's my plan, to keep the CSP as a forever card. Then when global entry renewal comes back up get the Reserve sign-up bonus again.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

But is it as sexy as the CSP?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

What's the current best no-annual fee card with no foreign transaction fee? I'm taking a trip soon and just want to pick up something to avoid those fees. I don't travel much so getting something with an annual fee probably won't be worth it. I was looking at the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards because it's simple cashback and no annual fee.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Virtue posted:

But is it as sexy as the CSP?
When I used my CSP for 3 months to meet the min spend I was amazed at how many comments it got. Like, really? Its still just a CC.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ilkhan posted:

When I used my CSP for 3 months to meet the min spend I was amazed at how many comments it got. Like, really? Its still just a CC.

What is your spending like that you managed to hit the minimum spend with day to day usage? I want to get the CSP for the bonus, but I average about 600 bucks a month on the CC and don't want to try to manufacture spending by seeing how many times I can get a Visa gift card before Walmart bans my card. I guess I am just going to wait until I have a one-time large purchase, but there's nothing on the horizon for me.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Nice cc = rich = a cool dude

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is your spending like that you managed to hit the minimum spend with day to day usage? I want to get the CSP for the bonus, but I average about 600 bucks a month on the CC and don't want to try to manufacture spending by seeing how many times I can get a Visa gift card before Walmart bans my card. I guess I am just going to wait until I have a one-time large purchase, but there's nothing on the horizon for me.
I stuck an abnormally large purchase on it (dSLR).

If (*if*) you can pay rent on a CC its great for hitting min spends.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

If (*if*) you can pay rent on a CC its great for hitting min spends.
I wish I could pay rent with a card. My landlord uses an online system but it only accepts an ACH from a bank account.

Tuition on the other hand :getin:

Unfortunately they only allow summer classes to be paid with a card at my university since it's handled by the extension program. Normal sessions only accept an ACH from a bank account :(

Maybe this new Chase card's signup bonus will still be this good next summer :pray:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I guess I'm in the lucky boat with large work related expenses at predictable intervals that I get reimbursed for.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Virtue posted:

I guess I'm in the lucky boat with large work related expenses at predictable intervals that I get reimbursed for.

Jealous.

I used to work at a lobbying firm and they would either reimburse me for huge weekly expenses or let me use the company card. I didn't want to bother with being reimbursed, so I used the company card.

So many lost potential points...

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003

Zikan posted:

What's the current best no-annual fee card with no foreign transaction fee? I'm taking a trip soon and just want to pick up something to avoid those fees. I don't travel much so getting something with an annual fee probably won't be worth it. I was looking at the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards because it's simple cashback and no annual fee.

Quicksilver is my go-to for travel. Discover IT is also an option but depending on where you go it might not be as widely accepted.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just redeemed $250 in credit card rewards for purchases I made outside the budget. Nice to bank up some extra buying power for use on frivolous things (in this case gifts for a friend going overseas for a few years).

All money I got with zero interest paid via responsible credit card use!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Does transferring a balance from one card to my new chase sapphire preferred count towards the 4k I need to put on the card in three months?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

Does transferring a balance from one card to my new chase sapphire preferred count towards the 4k I need to put on the card in three months?

No

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do people feel about the Delta Gold Skymiles American Express Card? I currently live in Atlanta so I fly Delta 90% of the time. Just the fact that you get priority boarding seems kind of awesome.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Megasabin posted:

How do people feel about the Delta Gold Skymiles American Express Card? I currently live in Atlanta so I fly Delta 90% of the time. Just the fact that you get priority boarding seems kind of awesome.

The bonus on that is 30,000 Skymiles right now, but it jumps up to 50,000 every so often, so I'd wait for that

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

The bonus on that is 30,000 Skymiles right now, but it jumps up to 50,000 every so often, so I'd wait for that

I was targeted for 60k miles and $50 delta credit for $1k spend and got it. I don't know what priority i get for having the card, but my work gives me zone 1, so that just means you board the plane with the other 10 people in zones 1, 2 and 3 after the entire plane boards in the sky priority 'zone'. Delta has too many freq flyers, at least in ATL.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Got approved for the Sapphire Reserve :getin: 24K credit limit, even though I already have 16K with my Sapphire Preferred.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

surrender posted:

Got approved for the Sapphire Reserve :getin: 24K credit limit, even though I already have 16K with my Sapphire Preferred.

Aren't the only application links available at this point without the sign up bonus?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Seems like the sapphire reserve obsoletes the preferred. I think I'll grab a reserve and drop my preferred down to a normal sapphire next time I can line up enough purchases.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Desuwa posted:

Seems like the sapphire reserve obsoletes the preferred.
Depends on how much you spend on your Sapphire cards now, I guess. I don't think I'd run enough through it to justify the increased annual fee, but the next time I have a large purchase coming up I'll probably churn one for the signup bonus and transfer the UR points.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

In theory if you use the entire $300 travel credit the annual fee is only $150, which is kind of reasonable. Also, since it looks like the travel credit is based on calendar year, you would end up getting $600 worth of credit before that fee comes due.

*edit*
The annual fee is not waived, so it's not quite as cushy as I was hoping. :(

Bentai fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 22, 2016

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Man, decision is pending for the CSR. Here's hoping they overlook the fact that I think I'm right at 5/24.

I do agree with the fact the Sapphire Reserve seems to obsolete the Preferred. 3x dining makes up for the off-times for the Freedom in terms of UR accumulation. I'm wondering whether the Sapphire Reserve can do the UnitedX workaround for Amazon GCs like the Amex cards can.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The signup bonus on the CSR is fantastic. I'm right at 5/24 so I'll probably just hope it stays the same until November, I think they may reduce the bonus before then though.

Some people seem to be having luck getting around 5/24 by going into a branch and seeing if they are preapproved.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bentai posted:

In theory if you use the entire $300 travel credit the annual fee is only $150, which is kind of reasonable. Also, since it looks like the travel credit is based on calendar year, you would end up getting $600 worth of credit before that fee comes due.
Is the first year waived?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Is the first year waived?
Nope.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Word is the CSR is a heavier, more clangy metal like the Ritz Carlton card and not like the CSP, for people who care about such things.

oh god it's me, i care about this stupid detail

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

gregday posted:

Word is the CSR is a heavier, more clangy metal like the Ritz Carlton card and not like the CSP, for people who care about such things.

oh god it's me, i care about this stupid detail

I don't spend nearly enough to warrant this AF over the CSP but I'm a big baby and will end up getting one anyway.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Just got approved for a USAA Classic American Express.

I do grocery shopping at Winco, and they do not accept credit cards. I will probably put gas on it, pay my internet bill, the occasional amazon/internet purchase. I'm hoping to put regular expenses on it to build credit. I really wish there was a way to get my food expenses on it - that's a solid part of my budget that is just going to be coming from a debit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So his point on two year's worth of travel without paying the AF doesn't work. :(
Guess I wish I had more travel expenses coming up to take advantage of it. My CSP hits a year in April. Lots of time, but not *too* much travel planned. 150k points would be nice though....