Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

packetmantis posted:

My people won't stop putting on tons of clothing and then complaining that they're hot. :saddowns:

You can use the uniform menu to restrict what they can wear so they don't get heatstroke from their own stupidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dragongem posted:

Random question: With the talk of A15 and not having A14 saves compatible with the new version, does that mean that when it goes live my save game won't work anymore?

If that's true, any idea when it'll come out? It sounded like it could be imminent. I just got the game on Friday and I don't want my second good run to suddenly explode without a chance to end it.

Set the game to only update when you launch it, and then only launch it in offline mode. It's an early access game right now, so save-breaking updates will probably be common.

I would also say that Rimworld's updates really do tend to improve the game, so you'll probably end up having more fun starting over in the new version.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Randy has been a huge oval office to me the last few games. I won a game on Rough, so I tried going up to Challenge. It was going pretty well, despite him throwing a Siege at me in my first summer that shot one of my colonist's arms off. Then he threw another one at me in my first fall. Whatever, I've got a sniper rifle from the last one so I took care of it pretty handily. Then he raided me in the same season, but it was pretty piddly so I took care of it, fine. Then he spawned an infestation in the new bedroom that very winter, which downed everyone and my husky and grizzly bear. They all bled out, end of colony.

Cool, whatever, poo poo happens. Start a new game, good location, get stuff built up, got a freezer going, production online. Zzt! Randy decides to explode my battery, destroying everything except my barracks and freezer. Alright, fine, I'll just rebuild it, and the corn and healroot are coming in so everything's going well. Somebody's being chased by pirates? Go gently caress yourself. Oh hey, a wanderer joined immediately anyway, like a reward for not falling for Randy's trick. Except, whoops, it's fall now and time for a 7-person siege with sniper rifles, grenades, and SMGs! gently caress, I'll just do what I did the first time and wait for them to fall asleep to go attack them. Start shooting, down one, and then my colonists just refuse to hit the guy with the sniper rifle who's standing right there. One goes down as they're chased around by grenades, I send one of the other two to rescue them. The other one takes out the sniper and goes down. I send the second of the other two to pick up his rifle. He takes some shots, kills another raider. They're now assaulting my base. I make him rescue the other guy and run away, but he's being chased by a melee raider. I refit the prison into a medbay so the first colonist can put his injured down and run back out there. Too late, the guy went down. The raiders have decided to kidnap who they can and leave. He picks up the gun and fires at the guy running away with my colonist until the other two raiders down him. Everybody's dead, end of colony.

gently caress this, I'm done with Challenge, that's just retarded. Sieges in the first few seasons are loving stupid. What kind of raider band sends out a squad of guys with artillery support to shell the gently caress out of some collection of hovels in the middle of nowhere? We don't even have anything valuable. I'll go back down to Rough and turn on Permadeath. I spend 30 minutes rolling up good colonists, pick a spot and go. The map is poo poo and has nowhere good to set up defenses. I accidentally rolled my grower and my construction worker to the same pawn so he spends the first 3 days setting up defenses in the indefensible area I've chosen and nothing gets planted. Finally I get a barracks built. Guess what, a manhunter pack has arrived at your undefended base! It's a single boomalope. I recruit the person it attacks and kite them around while another pawn takes shots at it. It blows up and starts a huge fire my pawns can't deal with, which promptly burns down our barracks. gently caress it, this is a bust.

I'll just try out a new save on Rich Explorer since I haven't touched it before. Putting up turrets and starting with a charge rifle sounds nice. I roll a decent colonist and get started. It's a good map, I put up a wall, designate stockpiles and growing zones, set up a windmill and battery for later, and get a room finished. Zzt! Randy explodes my battery and windmill and starts a huge fire. With only one pawn she has no chance of putting it out, and I finally just disable firefighting so she can get some work done amidst the blaze. It burns a quarter of the map before it finally rains and puts a stop to it, but whatever, my colonist's house had a natural firebreak so it's unharmed. I'll just rebuild and carry on-- and my explorer gets the flu. Since she's still the only colonist (it's not even summer yet) she's hosed. End of colony.

gently caress you, Randy. Stop being a dick.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Azhais posted:

I don't know how steam reacts to such a thing

Works fine with Crusader Kings 2 and Kerbal Space Program, depends if Rimworld comes with it's own DRM, too. I know you have to register with Introversion or something to get DRM-free Prison Architect.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I haven't actually started playing this game yet but for when I do, random battery explosions and electrical shorts sound really loving stupid considering it's the 35th whatever century. How do I disable poo poo like that permanently?

Same goes for crop blights, but with slightly less vitriol. One would imagine a thousand years of genetic engineering would produce crops that are virtually immune to random blight stuff.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can set up a custom scenario which is identical to the default scenario, but with those random events disabled.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ambaire posted:

I haven't actually started playing this game yet but for when I do, random battery explosions and electrical shorts sound really loving stupid considering it's the 35th whatever century. How do I disable poo poo like that permanently?

Same goes for crop blights, but with slightly less vitriol. One would imagine a thousand years of genetic engineering would produce crops that are virtually immune to random blight stuff.

Tbf your colonists are building from scrap they mined up, they aren't glitter tech batteries.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Squeegy posted:

gently caress you, Randy. Stop being a dick.

play how you like, but i would highly recommend setting up a custom scenario to disable any incidents you find outrageous or particularly vexing, as well as using any mods that strike your fancy.

the game is much better modded. lately, ive been on a medieval kick- no guns, no mechanoids, none of that. it's a lot of fun :) i even made a custom mod for myself, specifically for my medieval runs, where the bugs are tuned down to not be such bastards against melee/bows

but yeah, bzzt!, crop blights, there are a number of incidents that are just counter-intuitive and annoying. i enjoy the game much more without them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Added the excellent post about storytellers to the OP, also the only event i actually disable is colonist joins, because I can deal with everything except an endless flow of useless pricks turning up at the start.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Zzzts and blight suck but flat out disabling them is a mistake imo. They are in the game to stop you from getting complacent and just completely trivializing power generation or food supply. It's easy to make separate circuits to minimize the damages of Zzzts and mixing hunting in with crops, it just adds to more drama

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's the point of sun lamps? Is there ever a reason I would use them instead of hydroponics?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Squeegy posted:

What kind of raider band sends out a squad of guys with artillery support to shell the gently caress out of some collection of hovels in the middle of nowhere? We don't even have anything valuable.
:fsmug:

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Jesus, just had a strange bug occur. Playing with some mods so i guess it is something that has to do with them. My future colonists are disappearing right when they get downed. It started with a prisoner that disappeared right as she got immune to her infection. I thought she had escaped but no damage could be seen. Now i fended of a raid, and as soon as the enemies got downed they disappeared.
The mods i am using is:

M&Co. MMS - A sonar for detecting mineraldeposits in mountains
Hospitality - A lot more interactions with visitors
Double population - Tweaked storytellers
Psychology - More personality quirks
RT Fuse

I am playing on a large map. Anyone got any problems with these? I am not getting any conflict messages

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

What's the point of sun lamps? Is there ever a reason I would use them instead of hydroponics?

You have to research hydroponics, for one. They are also pretty tough to run if you don't have a very stable power grid. If the power goes off for five minutes with a sun lamp then it just keeps growing when the power comes back on. Power goes off with hydroponics and :rip: crops

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You have to research hydroponics, for one. They are also pretty tough to run if you don't have a very stable power grid. If the power goes off for five minutes with a sun lamp then it just keeps growing when the power comes back on. Power goes off with hydroponics and :rip: crops

Oh.

So why would I ever use hydroponics then. I assume sunlamps work indoors too??

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Zzzts and blight suck but flat out disabling them is a mistake imo. They are in the game to stop you from getting complacent and just completely trivializing power generation or food supply. It's easy to make separate circuits to minimize the damages of Zzzts and mixing hunting in with crops, it just adds to more drama

The power draining on Zzzts is fine, it's the explosions that are a little much. I once had one kill two colonists because they just bumblefucked into the exact spot that Randy decided to zap.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: double post

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Oh.

So why would I ever use hydroponics then. I assume sunlamps work indoors too??

Hydroponics grow things way faster for the space, so if you can maintain the power then it works out way better than bare ground.

I should add that hydroponics need light as well, so you should be putting sun lamps in your growing room anyways. If you want to be pro them set up your growing room with hydroponics and fill the spots between the tables with a growing zone so you don't waste the extra light.

nmgoh2
Feb 1, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Did they make peg legs a researchable tech or something? Have a dude with no leg, but under bills there is no option to install a peg leg like there used to be.

You need to have wood on-hand to do this. If your colony has no wood in storage, you can't make peg-legs.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Added the excellent post about storytellers to the OP, also the only event i actually disable is colonist joins, because I can deal with everything except an endless flow of useless pricks turning up at the start.

Create a tiny 2x1 building at the edge of the map with a sleeping spot. Keep the door open. When you want to get rid of a colonist without mood penalties, set that sleeping spot to be a prisoner bed, and do the opposite for your actual prisoner beds. Then draft someone and arrest the useless colonist (make sure to drop his weapon first in case he fights back). He'll be taken to your little shack, break out immediately since the door is open, and walk off the map before he goes back under your control. Gone forever with no repercussions.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hydroponics grow things way faster for the space, so if you can maintain the power then it works out way better than bare ground.

I should add that hydroponics need light as well, so you should be putting sun lamps in your growing room anyways. If you want to be pro them set up your growing room with hydroponics and fill the spots between the tables with a growing zone so you don't waste the extra light.

Oh that explains things. I assumed hydroponics were pretty much self contained and didn't need light as well. Thanks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Oh that explains things. I assumed hydroponics were pretty much self contained and didn't need light as well. Thanks

It will, but very slowly. When you seed the plants they will be at something like 20% grow rate in the pitch dark. Put them under a sun lamp and it boosts it up to 150%

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BRB pooping posted:

Jesus, just had a strange bug occur. Playing with some mods so i guess it is something that has to do with them. My future colonists are disappearing right when they get downed. It started with a prisoner that disappeared right as she got immune to her infection. I thought she had escaped but no damage could be seen. Now i fended of a raid, and as soon as the enemies got downed they disappeared.
The mods i am using is:

M&Co. MMS - A sonar for detecting mineraldeposits in mountains
Hospitality - A lot more interactions with visitors
Double population - Tweaked storytellers
Psychology - More personality quirks
RT Fuse

I am playing on a large map. Anyone got any problems with these? I am not getting any conflict messages

This is a potential Psychology bug. Make sure you are updated to the latest version and turn on the dev console to see if it happens again. I have not had it happen with the latest version of Psychology though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How the hell do I use the passive cooler? It seems like even six of them in a room doesn't bring the temperature down noticeably.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How the hell do I use the passive cooler? It seems like even six of them in a room doesn't bring the temperature down noticeably.

As you setting the temperature on the units to be lower?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As you setting the temperature on the units to be lower?

The passive cooler doesn't have a setting like that. I assumed that was what the game meant by "passive."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That would be fine if they were spaced out appropriately. As it is the game throws them at you in your first year, constantly, when you're completely unprepared for them, not complacent at all. I'm sort of okay with Zzzt because I can just download RT Fuses, but blights are dumb. A lot of the random events are dumb in the first year, they just serve to gently caress over a fledgling colony for no good reason. The game seriously needs a storyteller with a grace period, where they only throw nice/moderately threatening things at you in the first year, let you get set up, and then toggle on the annoying events when you're capable of handling them.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Squeegy posted:

This is a potential Psychology bug. Make sure you are updated to the latest version and turn on the dev console to see if it happens again. I have not had it happen with the latest version of Psychology though.

Ah sweet, gonna do so

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Squeegy posted:

Just build a perimeter wall. Stonecutting is a pain (would be more viable if it didn't require research, how hard is it to chip stone?) but it's actually faster than mining.

Now that scenario editing is built in, I just add Start With Research: Stonecutting to the normal crashland start.

Azhais posted:

I don't know how steam reacts to such a thing

Steam doesn't, in general, give a poo poo; it's down to the individual game. I suspect that Rimworld will be fine with it, but haven't actually tested this.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The worst/most counterintuitive part of blights, for me, is that they wipe out everything. So there's no point in diversifying your crops to make them more resistant to disease, might as well just go for the most productive monoculture because any disease that attacks them is going to be some kind of alien turbofucker that wipes out all edible species of plants

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It won't work without Steam running at least. No idea if it's a separate folder and you run it with steam open.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ToxicFrog posted:

Now that scenario editing is built in, I just add Start With Research: Stonecutting to the normal crashland start.

Steam doesn't, in general, give a poo poo; it's down to the individual game. I suspect that Rimworld will be fine with it, but haven't actually tested this.

The worst/most counterintuitive part of blights, for me, is that they wipe out everything. So there's no point in diversifying your crops to make them more resistant to disease, might as well just go for the most productive monoculture because any disease that attacks them is going to be some kind of alien turbofucker that wipes out all edible species of plants
It's still worth it to diversify because each crop has different mature times. Corn is the most efficient in the long run but that long growth time makes it more vulnerable to a Blight. If you grow a diverse group of plants you're getting at least some harvests in before a Blight wipes everything out. Same goes for biomes with short growing seasons.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Last time I played Randy decided to go straight up terminator and would only send raids full of loving mechanoids. Having three centipedes and two scythers, tricky but manageable. Down the scythers, three more centipedes show up. gently caress.

This is the same raid that got one of my two remaining starter colonists shot in the head - she took a 40% brain injury and didn't die instantly due to wearing a kevlar helmet, but for some reason being shot in the brain caused her to Manifest Spooky New Abilities meaning the brain injury itself didn't actually have any effect on consciousness, but instead made her a deaf-mute with a 40% bonus to manipulation. Since she had two bionic arms, she's now got something like 190% manipulation efficiency. Shame she's only the cook!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It takes it to 15C, that's it. You can't freeze or even refrigerate with them

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Think I'm about done with my current colony. I made a pseudo-medieval castle. Only my starter scientist was allowed to use modern equipment. Chainmail, crossbows, and swords for everyone else. Mechanoids/bugs are pretty rough playing that way, but it tears apart humans and manhunter packs. I spent a lot of time making my base pretty so I wanted to show it off.

Ended up giving up on the moat since completing it would take about a thousand years.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Watching a guy on twitch doing hippie only run (nudist/pacifist traits on colonists only, no weapons, no hunting, no turrets and no traps allowed). Basically he only grows and smokes weed and uses tamed animals to defend against raids. Seems like there are many interesting challenges you can do when the regular game gets too easy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rad Russian posted:

Watching a guy on twitch doing hippie only run (nudist/pacifist traits on colonists only, no weapons, no hunting, no turrets and no traps allowed). Basically he only grows and smokes weed and uses tamed animals to defend against raids. Seems like there are many interesting challenges you can do when the regular game gets too easy.

Sounds fun. Link?

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
just got this game and i cant find any info on this - what materials do i need for organ harvesting ? when i try to harvest organs from prisoners i just get the message - materials are needed for the operations. But the game doesn't specify which. Ive got medical supplies and sufficient medicine level to be used on prisoners (herbal medcine). what else?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gesadt posted:

just got this game and i cant find any info on this - what materials do i need for organ harvesting ? when i try to harvest organs from prisoners i just get the message - materials are needed for the operations. But the game doesn't specify which. Ive got medical supplies and sufficient medicine level to be used on prisoners (herbal medcine). what else?

I think you might need to set the prisoner to have a higher health care (default is no medicine, crank it up to herbal or whatever you have on hand). I thought it had a different message though. It's the only thing I can think of :saddowns:

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Danaru posted:

I think you might need to set the prisoner to have a higher health care (default is no medicine, crank it up to herbal or whatever you have on hand). I thought it had a different message though. It's the only thing I can think of :saddowns:

yea thats exactly what i did. but no dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does the quality of workbenches and beds make any difference to the speed at which the colonist using them rests at/works at?

What about the material used to make it?