Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Huh? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Nvidia's pascal shrink?
Nope. This is apparently a separate fab contract from the ones with TSMC (for Bristol Ridge) and Global Foundries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...oo#4039fa2050fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Nope. This is apparently a separate fab contract from the ones with TSMC (for Bristol Ridge) and Global Foundries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...oo#4039fa2050fb

I was wondering if that was what you were referring to. All that is really saying is that they have the option, due to the licensing agreement between samsung and glofo ensuring easy compatibility. Now, I'm sure they've run a few test lots through giheung and/or austin to make sure it can translate, but I really don't think there's anything more concrete.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Yeah, but skipping isn't doing so well for AMD in their case in the past. They skipped 20nm to wait for 14nm, which to go from 28nm to 14nm took 4 years. When Nvidia waited for 16nm(4 Years) they at least released performing 28nm cards. To skip 10nm to go to 7nm means they could be waiting for another 2-3 years before they have a working GPU on the new process.

Also, Nvidia maximized their 28nm process by basically increasing die size for each generation. AMD took ~2 years to go from a max die size of 352mm^2 on HD 7970 to 438mm^2 on the R9 290X

AMD != GloFlo though. AMD could get TSMC or Samsung to make 10nm cards. GloFlo might have its hands full with all of the Zen chips anyway

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ninkobei posted:

AMD != GloFlo though. AMD could get TSMC or Samsung to make 10nm cards. GloFlo might have its hands full with all of the Zen chips anyway

I know AMD |=GloFo, but AMD has a contract with GloFo to make so many chips each quarter or some other time frame. AMD is practically stuck with GloFo, which means they're poo poo out of luck because of GloFo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SlayVus posted:

I know AMD |=GloFo, but AMD has a contract with GloFo to make so many chips each quarter or some other time frame. AMD is practically stuck with GloFo, which means they're poo poo out of luck because of GloFo.

Maybe GloFlo can crank out the consoles and pachinko machines?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

SlayVus posted:

It doesn't. Just like in the previous generations if they need to they'll use TSMC.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Has TSMC ever been used by anyone to fab high-end x86 CPUs? AMD used to fab in-house before spinning off to Global Foundries. Intel has always done their own fabrication. IBM used to make Cyrix CPUs way back when.

Trabsmeta? Via?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Will an i5 4460 bottleneck a GTX 1060 at 1080p? I just got an RX470 but it's fan rattles like crazy under load and it doesn't wake up when after my machine goes to sleep, so it's going back. I might just spend the extra 50 bucks to bump up to the 1060 as long as I'll pull the full performance out of it, otherwise I'll just get a different model of 470.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The French Army! posted:

Will an i5 4460 bottleneck a GTX 1060 at 1080p? I just got an RX470 but it's fan rattles like crazy under load and it doesn't wake up when after my machine goes to sleep, so it's going back. I might just spend the extra 50 bucks to bump up to the 1060 as long as I'll pull the full performance out of it, otherwise I'll just get a different model of 470.

It will be fine, you can always gain more performance with a faster CPU all the way up to the fastest ones out there depending on the game but a 4460 ought to be plenty for a 1060 to show its stuff vs a 470.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Guru3d put up a review of the 3GB 1060. It compares it to an 8GB 480 and a 4GB 470 but not an 8GB 470, so you'll have to open their review of that card in another tab to see if AMD can close the gap with almost 3x as much memory.

Spoiler: They almost do. Enough to make the 8GB 470 an appealing apples-to-apples option to the 3GB 1060 if one wants to buy a Freesync monitor and not spend $1000+ on PC gaming graphics in a year. Despite all those additional RAM units, power/noise is comparable.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 23, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I would not buy a card with under 4 GB vram in 2016, and certainly not if it didn't offer significantly better performance.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, all I read from that is "300W from the slot now? Okay, let's make a 450W card."

CLC all the flagships!

SlayVus posted:

I thought AMD was trapped with GloFo until 2020 when the wafer agreement expires?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'll say it again, If flagships start shipping with CLCs, AMD should really partner with EK, sell variants of the EK Predator kits with quick-disconnects, and advertise at how easily you can add in a CPU block to do your entire system.

I say AMD, and not NVidia because NVidia seems like they would want to do it all themselves.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'll say it again, If flagships start shipping with CLCs, AMD should really partner with EK, sell variants of the EK Predator kits with quick-disconnects, and advertise at how easily you can add in a CPU block to do your entire system.

I say AMD, and not NVidia because NVidia seems like they would want to do it all themselves.

Coming Soon: nVidia Cold Fusion Coolers, powered by *actual* Cold Fusion! Power your house *and* play at 144Hz @ 4K at the same time! Yours for the price of a small state's GDP.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

FaustianQ posted:

I thought AMD was trapped with GloFo until 2020 when the wafer agreement expires?

The RX 4xx series is the first time Global Foundries has made AMD GPUs. Why would you think they were trapped?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Tanreall posted:

The RX 4xx series is the first time Global Foundries has made AMD GPUs. Why would you think they were trapped?

Not specifically GPU's, rather AMD has a wafer agreement requiring AMD buy X amount of wafer from GloFo, that's the "trapped".

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
TSMC makes AMD's low end APUs as well. I don't see AMD's future being tied to Global Foundries ability to skip 10nm.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
HBM2 isn't going to become standard fare anytime soon: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-to-offer-gddr6-at-4-16gbps-bandwidth-launches-2018.html

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Am I missing something, or is the Corsair Hydro GFX GTX 1080 quite good value (for a 1080) at USD$750? I suspect part of it is that other 1080s are still overpriced, whereas Corsair is obliged to follow their own RRP. As I understand it, this card is identical to the MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk, which is currently USD$980 on Amazon.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yes that is quite a good value indeed. The potential problem here is understanding what it is a CLC will do for you. If even lowish temps at a constant noise level is a good enough reason to justify owning it, then its a great value. Just don't expect monster OC for Pascal is all I'm getting at.

However what you can expect is something like oh its running at 50...at 50...at 50... No matter what you throw at it
But the most fun is setting a dead even fan flat fan curve you,can barely hear and still never touch 70's

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Smirk posted:

Am I missing something, or is the Corsair Hydro GFX GTX 1080 quite good value (for a 1080) at USD$750? I suspect part of it is that other 1080s are still overpriced, whereas Corsair is obliged to follow their own RRP. As I understand it, this card is identical to the MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk, which is currently USD$980 on Amazon.

If you want a good idea of how it will perform here's Jay's review of the EVGA 1080 Hybrid card, though the EVGA one is using the custom board of the EVGA FTW 1080 and a quieter fan both cards should be pretty similar.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I see your GDDR6 and raise you HMB3:
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/53535/hbm3-teased-allow-64gb-vram-graphics-cards/index.html

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just a memo to anyone choosing 1070 / 1080 cards, the palit game rock cooler is really excellently quiet. It's quieter then the evga coolers loaded, having used both, and stays at 0rpm for longer.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

wipeout posted:

Just a memo to anyone choosing 1070 / 1080 cards, the palit game rock cooler is really excellently quiet. It's quieter then the evga coolers loaded, having used both, and stays at 0rpm for longer.

And Palit is pretty much the cheapest of all AIBs, shame they're not on the NA market.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
I'm avoiding the Palit and Zotac offerings because a quick google search seemed to indicate their warranty service was dogshit. My reasoning was that all the AIB manufacturers have similar component costs, so low prices must be from aggressively reducing RMA and customer service costs. Now I'm just waiting on the lower-tier EVGA SKUs to become available to get one of those, otherwise I'll go for MSI or someone else with nice policies (serial number based warranty, don't mind you removing the cooler to change it out or re-apply thermal paste).

That said, it's hard to ignore the Zotac/Palit prices because the premium brand prices are all varying levels of eye-watering.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

a bit off topic but:

will 7nm be the last fab in the line of increasingly smaller chips?

this is about the border where quantum mechanics start messing with ur poo poo right?

after that can we still expect GPU's to get a lot better in comparable timeframes?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mikojan posted:

a bit off topic but:

this is about the border where quantum mechanics start messing with ur poo poo right?

after that can we still expect GPU's to get a lot better in comparable timeframes?

For silicon, probably.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
1050 to come as 2gb or 4gb by mid October apparently.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Why the hell didn't they name the 1060 3GB card the 1050 or at least name it the 1050Ti? :psyduck:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because it'd sell less

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

spasticColon posted:

Why the hell didn't they name the 1060 3GB card the 1050 or at least name it the 1050Ti? :psyduck:

JHH heard they lost the 970 3.5GB lawsuit, and decided that he wasn't going to let lawyers decide how Nvidia markets their products?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I would not buy a card with under 4 GB vram in 2016, and certainly not if it didn't offer significantly better performance.

Yeah, it doesn't sound appealing at all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

spasticColon posted:

Maybe because they want to oversell it to someone who has that amount of cash, but doesn't want to buy an AMD card (which is a lot of people), and wants to say they have a 1060.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Mikojan posted:

a bit off topic but:

Chips can also become bigger in size to accommodate more transistors.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I love cats posted:

While I ofcourse agree with this, it does mean the TDP hits a hard limit, and that all following chips based on 7nm will have increased power consumption and heat generation every new generation.

I mean, we could make chips bigger right now too, that doesn't mean it's actually progress in a meaningful sense?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I love cats posted:

Yields are gonna tank when they do.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Kazinsal posted:

I feel like until we manage to get off of silicon that's the way that the tech will continue to improve, making it more reliable and allowing larger chips to work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

That's why AMD is trying to just glue a lot of small dies together with transposers... I'm interested to see how that actually goes. If it could be done cheap it'd be a revolution.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4y0a6j/rx_470_overclockundervolt_discussion/d6kcoqh?context=3

quote:

As a heads up to everyone with the 4gb version [of the RX470]. Going above 1750mhz on the memory will result in memory timing change. The result of the timing change (less aggressive) is actually a decrease in performance. Your best bet is capping your memory oc's at 1750mhz to retain the best timing.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Certainly not the most intuitive thing ever but not a new thing, I believe this has been seen on other cards over the years. Overclocking can sometimes lead to some very odd results!