Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you got in on the $30 PSTV file sale bundles, the $10 sale price on both Persona games is absolutely the cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You could also keep going back to 2 and 1 if you fancied. I don't know if I'd recommend that, but you could!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

axleblaze posted:

How much worse Junpei comes across if your playing the female protagonist. It's pretty great.

Oh, the other difference with P3P that I didn't see mentioned is it pretty much has no anime cutscenes.

Yeah that's the main reason why I view p3p more as an excellent second playthrough rather than the definitive version.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
The no anime cutscenes doesn't bother me as much as the no moving characters at all. If they just had the polygonal blocky characters moving their stubby arms and stuff I would have enjoyed it a lot more than just talking heads describing scenes played out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/27/playstation-plus-free-games-for-august-2016/

Play$tation posted:

Update: Starting on September 22, 2016, prices for PlayStation Plus memberships will change to $59.99 USD/ $69.99 CAD for twelve months and $24.99 USD/$29.99 CAD for three months. The monthly plan will change to $11.99 CAD in Canada, and remain $9.99 USD in the U.S. If you are a current member, the new prices will take effect if your membership renews on or after this date.
PlayStation Plus strives to enrich your PlayStation experience through a world-class service built for our fans. This marks the first time that PS Plus membership prices will increase in the U.S. and Canada since the launch of the service in 2010. The new pricing reflects the current market conditions while enabling us to continue providing exceptional value to our members. As a member, you will continue to enjoy the benefits and features that enable shared experiences, such as online multiplayer, free games, and exclusive discounts. You will also continue to get exclusive benefits such as online game save storage and discounts across the PlayStation digital services.
If you do not wish to continue your subscription, please be sure to cancel it by turning off auto-renewal in your account settings before September 22, 2016.
We thank all of you, our PlayStation Plus members, for your ongoing support.

E: Even though the article date shows July, they just tweeted out "An important update"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SelenicMartian posted:

When I looked at PSTV and how much extra gear I needed to buy for it just to use it, I realized a Vita+MemCard+games bundle was only slightly more expensive and didn't suffer from an extra limited library.

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Limited-DualShock-PS-3-4/dp/B00R0OF518

Vita TV with, Lego Movie game, DS3, and 8GB card is less than $70.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

finally they will have enough money to give us knack.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

WARNING: female protagonist is not canon

She's the most canon.

If I didn't have a Makoto av I'd get a FeMC av.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

poo poo, I should really look out for those $35-40 PSPlus subs now and bank them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

JazzFlight posted:

poo poo, I should really look out for those $35-40 PSPlus subs now and bank them.

Pretty much yup

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
So this is a weird question, but with the new PSN rates it's more topical than before. Is there any way to change my region/credit card country on my PSN account? I set it up in Canada and just moved to the US, and having to keep a card open just for PSN seems insane. Sony has said the only option is to create a new PSN account, which means I lose access to all my previous purchases.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

So this is a weird question, but with the new PSN rates it's more topical than before. Is there any way to change my region/credit card country on my PSN account? I set it up in Canada and just moved to the US, and having to keep a card open just for PSN seems insane. Sony has said the only option is to create a new PSN account, which means I lose access to all my previous purchases.

do you need to keep a card on file? can't you pay via giftcard to keep your account going

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I posted in the videogame deals thread on coupons. Hopefully we still can find another person with $40 psn cards, I think I'll bank an extra year or two.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Unfortunately, not at this time. You can, however buy Canadian PSN wallet codes from here: http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/sony-playstation-network-cards/ and I believe, but am not 100% sure, that US PS+ membership cards will work for Canadian accounts (but wallet-amount codes will definitely not), which may be less hassle overall than maintaining a Canadian credit card.

Also if you ever get desperate, although this is somewhat expensive, if you get a VISA or Mastercard "gift card" you can set it with whatever billing address you want.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Both the PS3 and PS4 handle having multiple PSN accounts just fine, from multiple regions. The only thing you're gonna lose is your 'free' Plus games if you had any, when that expires. I don't think you have to lose anything else, I can even run stuff from foreign PSN accounts while 'using' my main account since it's set as primary console for each of those accounts.

Of course if you have a Vita/PSTV you're screwed for those but Sony doesn't give a poo poo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CrashCat posted:

Both the PS3 and PS4 handle having multiple PSN accounts just fine, from multiple regions. The only thing you're gonna lose is your 'free' Plus games if you had any, when that expires. I don't think you have to lose anything else, I can even run stuff from foreign PSN accounts while 'using' my main account since it's set as primary console for each of those accounts.

Of course if you have a Vita/PSTV you're screwed for those but Sony doesn't give a poo poo

there are still some problems with this. i was living in canada for awhile and bought a bunch of retail games while there, and discovered that dlc is sorta region specific? i don't know if it's for every game but when i bought fallout 3 dlc when i moved back to the us i discovered it didnt actually work with my disc version i got in canada. i guess it wouldnt be a problem moving forward but its a weird thing i never knew about before.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

there are still some problems with this. i was living in canada for awhile and bought a bunch of retail games while there, and discovered that dlc is sorta region specific? i don't know if it's for every game but when i bought fallout 3 dlc when i moved back to the us i discovered it didnt actually work with my disc version i got in canada. i guess it wouldnt be a problem moving forward but its a weird thing i never knew about before.

That is super weird. Region discrepancies are definitely a thing but are extremely rare for Playstation games between the US and Canada for the data on the discs. Maybe Fallout 3 does an English/Spanish and English/French thing, but usually since Blu-rays are pretty spacious those 3 languages are on-disc.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Late to the thread, but I'm gonna be another of that guy that recommends P3:FES over P3P, at least for a first-time player and assuming both options are available, The added content to P3P is great, but mechanically it is very much felt like playing a DS rpg over a console one. Between the removal of running around and cutscenes and the downscaled resolution, the game lost some of what drew me in to it originally.

There's nothing really WRONG with P3P and it's by all accounts still a great game, it's just highlights how superficial (but still present) the difference is between couch and portable games.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did this guy ever win whatever tweet awards exist?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

JazzFlight posted:

I have a feeling we won't see any of them pop up from now until the price bump. :ohdear:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah, that is the one other wrinkle, if you wanted to go back and get DLC for the old games you got on the old account you would have to buy those on the old account. That even sometimes applies for same region disc vs digital because poo poo is hosed. Even then, once you've bought the DLC on the old account and downloaded it I think the console should let you play it with no problem.

Really the only games you're going to 'lose' are the free Plus games, and the ones you paid for with Plus discounts are still owned by you so even those will be available after Plus runs out on the old account. So overall making a new account just makes sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That's honestly pretty fair. Still $40 cheaper than loving Amazon Prime :v:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

precision posted:

That's honestly pretty fair. Still $40 cheaper than loving Amazon Prime :v:

Prime is a much better deal than PS+, totally different services anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like I get a lot more out of PS+ but then I like free garbage indie games way more than most people.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I just bought a year of PS+ for $38 from eBay a week or two ago after not having Plus for two months. The past year really underwhelmed me for games and the only reason I bought this was to gain access to my old games from years back, and to be able to access cloud saves again too. If they wanna start charging more for the service, I think they really need to step up their game overall.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

precision posted:

I feel like I get a lot more out of PS+ but then I like free garbage indie games way more than most people.
For what it's worth they generally are much better games than the $1-3 bundle trash I pick up for PC, though you could probably get a lot more bad games for the same amount of money.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I feel oddly prescient buying two years of Plus from the last sale. More like lazy though.

I still have an unjaded view of indie games so I still look at the Plus monthly games reveal like Christmas.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
PS+ felt like a terrible deal at $50 CAD a year, $70 CAD is absurd.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BGrifter posted:

PS+ felt like a terrible deal at $50 CAD a year, $70 CAD is absurd.

your money is worthless and the japanese have come to eat you alive.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
honestly, five dollars a month (US) doesn't seem that unreasonable for online play and 2-6 free* games, but that doesn't mean people can't be mad about prices going up. at least unlike Netflix, Sony never promised the price wouldn't increase. plus there's usually at least one good game a month.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What this price hike reminded me of is how awful the three-month plan is. $100 a year? Holy hell.

It just feels like PS+ has gone from giving us older but good AAA titles to darling indie titles to now just garbage bin/greenlight quality indies. Stuff you'd get thrown into your humble bundle purchase to justify the $15 minimum for the AAA game on offer.

Like, Furi is pretty cool but going through my PS+ library the last PS+ title I thought was really good was Rocket League.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't mind the price hike because I think of PS+ as a Rocket League annual fee more than anything else

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

honestly, five dollars a month (US) doesn't seem that unreasonable for online play and 2-6 free* games, but that doesn't mean people can't be mad about prices going up. at least unlike Netflix, Sony never promised the price wouldn't increase. plus there's usually at least one good game a month.

even if you don't like the games in a month, there's usually enough in a year that you'd like and make it worth the 12 month cost.

this year already theres been like 4 or 5 twenty dollar games worth owning just on ps4 and not counting the AAA stuff on ps3

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't mind the price hike because I think of PS+ as a Rocket League annual fee more than anything else

I don't mind because I don't think I ever paid full price for it in the first place.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

even if you don't like the games in a month, there's usually enough in a year that you'd like and make it worth the 12 month cost.

this year already theres been like 4 or 5 twenty dollar games worth owning just on ps4 and not counting the AAA stuff on ps3

According to people on reddit there has never been a good PS+ free game. And if there is, of course they don't like those kind of games.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Well of course there hasn't, I don't see Knack in my download list. :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like just this month we got Tricky Towers on launch day and Yakuza 5 so it's weird to bring up "I can't remember the last time PS+ has given out anything good". Like, I bring this up a lot, but for the life of me I can't figure out what they could reasonably give away that would make people happy at this point. Have there been weak months? Yes. Nothing good since rocket league? What standard are you even using?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
PS3 freebies just seem to count for less and less because it's last generation and there is no easy backwards compatibility. You still have to keep a working PS3 around to benefit from it. So really the people who benefit the most are the ones who were always on the "Playstation nation" or whatever side all along.

Also there's a lot of couch coop PS+ games for PS4 which are just a lot less universally accessible than a single player game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not a PS4 owner but I have a PS3 and a Vita and the last time I remember PS+ being worth it was with God of War Ascension some months back. I paid for last month accidentally through automatic resub and it wasn't worth it. They need to pull their thumbs out for non-PS4 owners at this point, no real reason to not give higher quality titles out instead of crappy indies.

• Locked thread