Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

hypnorotic posted:

gonna get a sweet Thooorin video out this

i guess at least one hour long

Can't wait, I bet it will have a reference to epicurus or umberto ecco or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

RealFoxy posted:

*Teams that are bought in the LCS and dropped to Challenger almost all disband because they're losing money at that point and there's no way of regaining money turning profit.

*Challenger series itself is a total joke where organizations or players will just send ringers in and sell the teams off for huge profits, Saint Vicious did it two or three times, Cloud9 just did it this season. There's very little talent in Challenger and such a huge gap between the top 3 challenger teams and the top 6 LCS teams that the bottom half of LCS is usually just a revolving door of players that aren't good enough to be in a Top 4 LCS team, but they're too good to be stuck in challenger for another season.

*Riot's been really militant against new investors and it's scaring people off. The way the handled Chris Badawi and Monte, according to many insiders, scared off a lot of big investors because of the fear that one wrong slip up or getting onto Riot's bad side just condemns them since Riot are the Juge, Jury, and Executor and get free reign to do as they wish.

Regi was asking for a more stable environment for both players and owners, and Marc didn't address any of those points except for how bad Riot were at patch timing.

Teams that get relegated should disband it's roster. That's generally speaking what happens in top league soccer, when a team gets relegated it sells all of it's valuable players that it has and tries to rebuild with an entirely new roster.

Teams that can't beat semi-retired pros or bottom flight competition don't really have any room to complain because they don't have a chance at success anyways. It's the same for teams that get relegated. To be a professional organization with training, coaching, sponsorship, funding, and to lose to a challenger squad is embarrassing. Riot could do something about sister teams in challenger competing to dismiss LCS teams of slots, but it's not clear to me that has the same downside, because they are actually organizations who are paying for high caliber challenger squads (which is what most people are complaining about in terms of no infrastructure for CS).

Riot has been really militant against owners who have done shady poo poo behind their back. I loved Renegades as a team but both Badawi and Monte hosed up really badly and own all the fault for that. If that's scares you off as an investor then I don't know what to say, I guess if you planned on going into owning a team with plans for a whole lot of gross misconduct explicitly against the legal rules of the contracts you signed then yeah you are probably going to have a bad time. Riot has had to deal with a bunch of teams not paying their players or having grossly unfair contracts and they eat the PR flak when some nightmare gaming house story comes out so they have to enact their authority on curbing offenses whenever they find them or else you end up with stuff like people sleeping under stairwells getting gangrene.

There are examples of new organizations having success in 2016 like Immortals and G2. Echo Fox, NRG, and Schalke 04 seemed to all have good intentions but not well constructed rosters. If you don't think you can build a competitive roster for the league you definitely should not buy a team, like I want to know whatever the guy who setup Phoenix1 was smoking before this split, yet somehow they maintained their slot.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

What exactly is the problem with his comments?

My major problem is the audacity of Merrill saying that Regi should pay his players more when Riot has also made a poo poo-ton off of the professional scene and still has joke prize pools that haven't changed since like season 2 to the point where boosting a challenger team to LCS has a higher payout than the team that wins Worlds. Mind you that they do this while squeezing out 3rd party tourneys outside of IEM as well. The stupidity of that poo poo is mindblowing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The fact that orgs can even have challenger teams and LCS teams is the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Kashuno posted:

The fact that orgs can even have challenger teams and LCS teams is the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen

Has precedent in actual football. Real Madrid A and B team.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
HEY ALL MARC HERE *sniffing noises*

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Firebert posted:

My major problem is the audacity of Merrill saying that Regi should pay his players more when Riot has also made a poo poo-ton off of the professional scene and still has joke prize pools that haven't changed since like season 2 to the point where boosting a challenger team to LCS has a higher payout than the team that wins Worlds. Mind you that they do this while squeezing out 3rd party tourneys outside of IEM as well. The stupidity of that poo poo is mindblowing.

Riot subsidizes the lovely teams with salaries in lieu of higher prize pools for the top teams. I guess they could do it differently, or increase both. I don't know.

Kashuno posted:

Like it's the same issue people are complaining about though. There's a finite number of eSports organizations that are successful and can afford the sunk costs of a challenger team failing. That's why pro-sister teams are repeatedly trying to do them over and over. Would you rather have Cloud 9 take the risk fielding a challenger team win or lose? Or would you rather have like back in the day when GGLA guy took out a $40k loan against his parents house and his team failed and he was just bankrupt. Like that's basically the alternate.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Has precedent in actual football. Real Madrid A and B team.

I believe the limit is stricter. For example Bayern B can rise to the third-level league at most, not sure if it's the same in Spain. Of course in LoL we only have two levels so basically we get the current policy.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Libertine posted:

What exactly is the problem with his comments?

These true statements have nothing to do with the problems he discussed in the video. Riot is flat out straw manning.

His main problems are
1) Timing of patches. Patches that drastically change the way pros play should not be dropped right before playoffs or worlds. The only thing that Riot changed is that they dropped the patch right before playoffs this year and not before worlds. For the players, it's just as bad.
2) The system should either be completely open or completely closed. Right now it's half open half closed and that's a problem for investors. Financially, the drastic difference in LCS vs challenger scene is absurd and needs to be addressed. He doesn't favor one way or another and feels either way would be an improvement.

All Riot did in that statement is said "Whoops we did something bad last year with the patch timing, so this year we're going to do something that's different but equally bad."

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

league of legends is wasted on this trash heap of a company

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i'm shocked that the barbarian king made a hasty reddit response

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/MarcelFeldkamp/status/767857788542476289

https://twitter.com/MarcelFeldkamp/status/767859430721482753

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think in soccer you can have a b team but they cant play the promotion tournament and their spot (the right to play in the promotion tournament) is given to the next ranked team. i dont know anything about soccer i read this in a reddit comment.

Nook posted:

league of legends is wasted on this trash heap of a company

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I don't like that when people argue on the internet they state complete conjecture that they have nothing but third-hand information about at best as absolute fact and that they do so in the most hysterical and hyperbolic manner. Basically what I'm saying is that all discussion on the internet should be forced to be in an Oxford debate format with referees.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Teams in real sport B-leagues still have an income from sponsors, ticket sales, beer and hotdogs to cover expenses. Where are challenger teams supposed to scrounge up the income to pay players at all? (A challenger league where teams host games and sell tickets might be an actual solution.)

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Riot could probably solve its prize pool problem by raising money by implementing something like DOTA 2's compendium or raise viewership by implementing something like DOTA 2's drop system...

but.... you know... :effort:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iSurrender posted:

Teams in real sport B-leagues still have an income from sponsors, ticket sales, beer and hotdogs to cover expenses. Where are challenger teams supposed to scrounge up the income to pay players at all? (A challenger league where teams host games and sell tickets might be an actual solution.)

Real sports also have TV deals (MLB) or a unified TV deal through the main organization that then splits equally throughout the rest of the league (NFL)

League/eSports has a long way to go in terms of growing up as a respectable thing. First thing would be a player union/representation

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
that is a loving pendragon level response holy gently caress lmao

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i swear to gently caress I just had this discussion in the main thread but literally all riot has to do is take like 25 or 50% of the money they get off of the Championship line of Skins and putting that into the prize pools.

also that response is almost the same level of response he gave when the whole SpectateFaker debacle was going on, Tryndamere needs to be one of the people Riot's PR department does not allow access to his own social media accounts lmao

e: sneaky on Tryndamere's response

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 23, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lmao if anyone compares this to the renegades thing with known piece of poo poo liar chris badawi versus team owners and riot both wanting more money to come from the other side but not wanting to be accountable for it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Asema posted:

Real sports also have TV deals (MLB) or a unified TV deal through the main organization that then splits equally throughout the rest of the league (NFL)

League/eSports has a long way to go in terms of growing up as a respectable thing. First thing would be a player union/representation

yeah, this is a more complicated issue than people assume. "just get revenue sharing!" well i mean, there's neither a salary cap nor a salary floor and if you start giving teams a pool of cash from sponsors with no accountability for where it goes, it doesn't solve anything other than teams that struggle with sponsors get some more guaranteed cash. and of course we see that some people involved in riot are concerned the revenue coming from lcs teams is already not being reinvested into the lcs team to a large enough degree to make them happy (and by the way, we have actually no idea where this money is going)

its not so easy as to just go "revenue sharing!" or "prize pools"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

more news came to light from that travis reginald interview, it was in the final five minutes. reginald tampered with g2, causing them to have ownership collusion with fnatic as well as causing hybrid to quit, on top of it coming out that he poisoned clgs coach

edit wait i guess all european teams arent the same, hybrid quit the other fnatic sister team origen, my bad

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
monte.txt

https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/767898666614951936

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

*searches for the tweets where monte talks about the player salary problems in LCK*

hmmMmmm

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

*searches for the tweets where monte talks about the player salary problems in LCK*

hmmMmmm

yes because casters need to be concerned with every single issue that they cannot have an impact on the outcome of, rather than being upset at getting dicked out of your team and then it comes out fan favorite lcs teams are doing the exact same poo poo yep SeemsGood 4Head

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

he's only talking poo poo about this because they're not his employer, and not because he's some righteous bad rear end crusader of justice.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
well it would be pretty retarded if you openly trashed your employer in public? can't really expect him to do that

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

second edit: actually this is not worth it

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 23, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

he's only talking poo poo about this because they're not his employer, and not because he's some righteous bad rear end crusader of justice.

thats actually not what I said or made him out to be at all, but nice try

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

edit: i forgot the last thing i said.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rabidsquid posted:

lmao if anyone compares this to the renegades thing with known piece of poo poo liar chris badawi versus team owners and riot both wanting more money to come from the other side but not wanting to be accountable for it
What did he lie about? Most of the things that Riot were claiming has turned out to be untrue or an exaggeration.

Also: If Riot were fair and balanced than both FNatic and G2 would be completely dismantled and the owners would be banned from team ownership for life but well you know. Most of the things that lead to Monte's ban from ownership was things other teams did all the time. When Doublelift went from CLG to TSM it was under an unwritten contract for a while which is no different than what happened with TDK/Renegades, the big teams in LCS will do that all the time with each other out of trust and fill in contracts later when they need to show the paperwork. Monte HAD the paperwork, but Riot just refused to look at it because he had the AUDACITY to get a lawyer involved to make sure everything was running smoothly (After already getting dicked over once by Riot)

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 23, 2016

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

apparently the co-owner of G2 has some financial relationship with Fnatic

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/4z4ogm/jens_hilger_coowner_of_g2_has_financial_ties_with/

any bets on how quickly does riot uses this to deflect from what regi brought up? I'm guessing it will be at 9:00 AM PST, give or take 15 minutes

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

apparently the co-owner of G2 has some financial relationship with Fnatic

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/4z4ogm/jens_hilger_coowner_of_g2_has_financial_ties_with/

any bets on how quickly does riot uses this to deflect from what regi brought up? I'm guessing it will be at 9:00 AM PST, give or take 15 minutes
Just interesting to see how they deal with the same situation that caused Badawi/Monte to lose their teams. Remember, Kikis went from G2 to FNatic so they're also "Breaching trade". If they decide anything less than what they did to Monte/Badawi they'll be seen as spineless and bias, and it really adds fuel to Monte's fire. If they punish G2/Fnatic as harshly (Making them sell the teams and assets immediately) it's going to ruin G2's spot in World's they worked hard for.

The likely scenario is they'll try and have an "On-going investigation" that won't wrap up until after World's and the punishment probably won't be as harsh because of a "First time offense" and there was "No ill intent in their actions"

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i'm listening to monte's vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFCS0WxJO4

holy poo poo it sounds like riot's casters get absolutely hosed, i really recommend listening to that bit at least

e. vvv 15m or so i think? vvv

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 23, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
When is that bit?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
People involved in the League community who are gigantic narcissistic shitbirds and who need to do one:
- Montecristo
- Thorin
- Tryndamere
- Phreak
- Thorin
- Everyone else involved in LoL esports not listed exactly 1 time so far on this list

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The caster conversation is around 13min

Someone from Reddit made quick transcripts of the video:

quote:

There is no way that Riot knows that LCS teams are funneling the money they earn through League sponsorships into other esports. He went and asked every team if Riot ever asked for revenue sheets. None of the teams said so.

There is indeed money in esports. Monte used an example with REN made 10X as much money from CSGO stickers than from summoner icons. Businesses don't go into esports believing that they will get nothing out of it.

Therefore, Riot almost certainly makes money from League tournaments. When the client pops up a window touting the latest LCS match, the people who watch the games will not be distracted from external advertisements and etc., only showing the latest skins that the pros are playing. Monte claims that Riot almost certainly has marketing data showing that the LCS dramatically increases the likelihood that players buy a skin after seeing a match. In his own words "it is highly profitable for them." While casting Worlds, Monte would have to create champion packs that would be sold in discounted bundles. There is no profit sharing. Riot gets everything.

Tencent would have stopped the esports realm if it lost them millions of dollars for no reasons. It was always an option that Riot could sell the broadcasting rights to a third party for a lot of money from sponsors because "the game is huge."

It's Riot's imperative, not the teams, to increase player salaries via sponsorships and etc. Why not the teams? Because teams are already paying their players a reasonable amount of money. Nobody is paid the Riot Minimum, not that Monte knows of. If teams don't spend money, they are threatened by relegation constantly. Relegation ensures high competition for good players. If Riot is concerned about pay, they should raise the stipend, as it hasn't been since 2013. The game is much bigger now than it is then. Riot made 1.6 dollars last year.

Riot is the "hosed up tyrant Santa Claus" who determines who goes on the naughty or nice list. Regi is part of the nice list arbitrarily.

Salaries for players doubled or tripled since the entrance of venture capitalists. Regi is certainly paying his players top dollar. Monte claims that teams are actually willing to pay their players at a loss to build a brand, placing more market power into the hands of players over their owners. The logic behind this is that teams are willing to lose a little bit of money now to make an incomparable amout later on. Monte "broke his budget" paying for his players on REN.

(He goes on a sidebar) Casters. Riot was offering rates that were roughly 40 to 70 percent of the "industry rate," that which is seen in Halo, Dota 2, etc. Monte asked Riot to pay him the industry standard rate. Riot said no. That's fine. It's their prerogative. CSGO casters make twice as much as Riot casters. Monte posits that all casters should be freelance casters, basically having all of the rights that Monte has now (streaming, casting for leagues not associated with Riot, getting sponsorships, etc.) Monte made more money than any Riot caster casting alone. Riot casters have a flat salary, regardless of how much work they do. MSI and worlds is extra work. In fact, at IEM tournament, casters are basically loaned out for free by Riot. Everyone else is paid directly by ESL. Jatt, Kobe, and Deficio can't make VODs or build their own brands because of Riot. Casting is inherently a talent job, not a salary job that pays relatively little. Dota 2 casters made as much in 3 weeks at TI as Riot casters in six months.

Teams are very player-oriented. Teams are not making millions of dollars of the LCS because player salaries are at the highest they've been.

The patch fundamentally changed the game. Every player that he has spoken to has hated the patch.
Laneswapping is a skill. Some teams actually signed players that were good at laneswaps. Rosters are locked. They are screwed.

We don't know that Doublelift and Biofrost can actually compete against the best in the world. Riot doesn't know jackshit about what skill is. Riot wants League of Legends to look like solo queue, which bolsters it as a marketing tool. They don't want viewers to be confused. They want to cram League into the most efficient marketing tool to sell skins.

The fact that teams are forced to cater to sponsorships takes away from practice and leisure time, making player lives worse. Riot could step up and take more of the burden by sponsoring a mouse, a headset, or a computer, but they refuse to.

Monte makes the majority of his money from other esports projects. He has perspective on other esports and claims that Riot is very much out of touch with its own scene and other esports scenes.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
any other talking point aside that caster poo poo is some real fucky poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

any other talking point aside that caster poo poo is some real fucky poo poo.
Just general riot hypocrisy. ex: Riot made 1.6 billion last year from League but still claims they run LCS at a loss. Like I'm sure on a technicality the e-sports division is run at a loss because the company doesn't have sponsors hardly ever and they only shill their own game but it's not like the company actively loses money, and the trade-off for seeing pro players using new skins probably offsets the "loss" they make.

I honesty don't think Riot stands to lose anything putting sponsors into the LCS because they already spend close to 20 minutes between games in a series filling dead air with pointless round table discussions and just straight dead-air while they play music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Just general riot hypocrisy. ex: Riot made 1.6 billion last year from League but still claims they run LCS at a loss. Like I'm sure on a technicality the e-sports division is run at a loss because the company doesn't have sponsors hardly ever and they only shill their own game but it's not like the company actively loses money, and the trade-off for seeing pro players using new skins probably offsets the "loss" they make.
I don't understand why this is a point of debate or contention? The concept of a loss leader has existed for decades. The LCS almost certainly fits that definition. I think Monte is attacking a strawman here - I doubt anyone has ever positioned the LCS cost/benefit as anything other than a loss leader, even Riot. In that Reddit post I don't see anything from Merril that could be interpreted to be so, either.

• Locked thread