Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Under this new system it allows a Rank 65 dude to queue with a Rank 45 dude, using Season 1 as a reference. That's a pretty loving generous gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bolow posted:

Under this new system it allows a Rank 65 dude to queue with a Rank 45 dude, using Season 1 as a reference. That's a pretty loving generous gap.

Too generous. It should go back to 500. More restrictions imo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's pretty weird to bring up 1HL as an example of balance theater since that was something that a lot of competitive players actually did want to see and Blizzard was even resistant to it at first until they realized that they weren't going to convince anyone that six Tracer overtime spam was a feature.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let me help.

Jastiger posted:

Yeah pretty much confirmed, they just silenced my account again and I"ve been making it a strict point NOT to use the chat function. People get mad at turret placements or class selections and report based on that. How incredibly stupid.

Jastiger posted:

Wow the game kicked me for inactivity as i was setting up turrets at the attacking teams spawn. I guess you have to take damage or something or it'll kick you out. I was even shielding allies and stuff. What a stupid mechanic.

"I contributed nothing to the game for a minute, why would I get reported."
Also this is a man who once got probated/banned from League of Legends for constantly mentioning the Iowa State Cyclones. Like ten times in a game, across tens of games. He was also told to no longer post in League of Legends threads because he won't stop whining about how ridiculous Ignite and Flash were (key mechanics of the game). Seriously, you did some dumb poo poo related to a dumb game.

Zephyrine posted:

I would be surprised if the system was automated to the point where 6 reports in one game gets you silenced.
More likely the system tags accounts as "jerks" after numerous infractions and then those people will be silenced automatically.
Even then I expect a GM to have at least glanced at a few of the offending remarks and tagged someone as "notable rocker of boats"
I could be wrong.
I still doubt that a person who remains quiet and just plays the "wrong class" will have actions taken against him from the system as erroneous offensive remarks.

You don't weigh reports by multiple people higher than individual reports since that would make it easy to gang up on people (with people queuing together). But yeah, we don't know exactly how the system works. The people who got punished certainly don't know how it works and judging by this thread are oblivious about how their actions are perceived by others.

But hey you know what, I think I'll start playing nothing but offensive Torb from now on. I think I'm a pretty chill guy (humble too!), so I'll be the ultimate litmus test. Should I talk in chat or be quiet? You decide.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 22, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mierenneuker posted:

Let me help.

"I contributed nothing to the game for a minute, why would I get reported."
Also this is a man who once got probated/banned from League of Legends for constantly mentioning the Iowa State Cyclones. Like ten times in a game, across tens of games. He was also told to no longer post in League of Legends threads because he won't stop whining about how ridiculous Ignite and Flash were (key mechanics of the game). Seriously, you did some dumb poo poo related to a dumb game.

You don't weigh reports by multiple people higher than individual reports since that would make it easy to gang up on people (with people queuing together). But yeah, we don't know exactly how the system works. The people who got punished certainly don't know how it works and judging by this thread are oblivious about how their actions are perceived by others.

But hey you know what, I think I'll start playing nothing but offensive Torb from now on. I think I'm a pretty chill guy (humble too!), so I'll be the ultimate litmus test. Should I talk in chat or be quiet? You decide.

Nothing you said here sounds like a legit reason to report and/or punish, namaste :D

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 22, 2016

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I want to play with duck and cover and jastiger.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RBX posted:

I want to play with duck and cover and jastiger.

We have and we kicked rear end I'm p sure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

Nothing you said here sounds like a legit reason to report and/or punish, tia :D

I dunno, since you keep getting squelched it seems like the system's actually working pretty well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Quick Play is cancer.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Jastiger posted:

We have and we kicked rear end I'm p sure.

Yes we did, we should more often

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

I dunno, since you keep getting squelched it seems like the system's actually working pretty well.

Base on what I posted as transcripts do you think I should be silenced? Curious for real.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Base on what I posted as transcripts do you think I should be silenced? Curious for real.

Yes, because I can't fault any system that gets you to shut the gently caress up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I opened my final summer games lootbox and I guess I'm destined to never get the Swiss Mercy skin, oh well (I got South Korea D.Va today though so that's something)

rip summer games - you were kind of bad

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Based on you talking about getting kicked for being AFK in an active game which is pretty hard to do unless you're just deliberately loving around or have legitimately stepped away from the keyboard I'm inclined to believe that you probably aren't an innocent victim of circumstance, no. It's okay though because you'll still continue to shitpost here to your heart's content I'm sure.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I opened my final summer games lootbox and I guess I'm destined to never get the Swiss Mercy skin, oh well (I got South Korea D.Va today though so that's something)

rip summer games - you were kind of bad

I did manage to get American McCree and Swiss Mercy, which were the main two things I wanted, but contrary to the official statement Blizzard put out, I definitely didn't get a "sense of reward and accomplishment" out of it. Oh yes Blizz I'm very proud that some electronic dice rolled in my favour.

All the event needed was some means-- any means at all-- of intentionally working towards a particular item. Then again, that would alleviate the pressure to buy loot boxes, which from a bean-counting perspective was the whole point.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I didn't get the Murican flag or Murican McCree. I feel so un-Murican.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Bolow posted:

Yes, because I can't fault any system that gets you to shut the gently caress up

[agree]

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I was going for the olympic Torbjorn skin and got the red Zarya one, blegh I already had the white one.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Will you get a leaver penalty for leaving games during setup in quickplay? People tend to take a very long time to pick their characters (also what's up with this) and sometimes you don't get to find out your team wants two snipers or no tanks or whatever until setup.

I know you can be considered backfill if you get placed in during setup (which I am eternally grateful for) so I'm guessing yes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bolow posted:

master/grand master is still 10 ranks tho

when does master start? is that the equivalent of a 70 in the current system or what?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Proposition Joe posted:

Will you get a leaver penalty for leaving games during setup in quickplay? People tend to take a very long time to pick their characters (also what's up with this) and sometimes you don't get to find out your team wants two snipers or no tanks or whatever until setup.

I know you can be considered backfill if you get placed in during setup (which I am eternally grateful for) so I'm guessing yes.

I think for QP, you won't get a penalty until people can control their characters. If you backfill, and people are controlling their characters, then I believe you will if you leave.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Bolow posted:

In the old system I would have said that twenty ranks difference like that was way too much, but the new system is allegedly spreading people out more so I will wait to see if 1000 ranks is as much a difference as 20.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

when does master start? is that the equivalent of a 70 in the current system or what?

Master starts at 3500, and if you transposed it directly to a 1-100 scale, that would be 70.

However, Kaplan said they're spreading the curve out so that people land in a wider range of tiers, so theoretically a 3500 might be closer to a 60.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Master starts at 3500, which gives it quite a bit of leeway. There likely won't be a ton of Grand Master dudes that are above 4200

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Master starts at 3500, and if you transposed it directly to a 1-100 scale, that would be 70.

However, Kaplan said they're spreading the curve out so that people land in a wider range of tiers, so theoretically a 3500 might be closer to a 60.

that'd be interesting if true

wonder what the rewards will be for next season? top 500 will probably be the same, but how will they tier out the comp currency and will the skill degradation for not playing factor in for the high tiers?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

It's pretty weird to bring up 1HL as an example of balance theater since that was something that a lot of competitive players actually did want to see and Blizzard was even resistant to it at first until they realized that they weren't going to convince anyone that six Tracer overtime spam was a feature.

One hero limits protect against balance incompetency (which is definitely necessary with Blizzard behind the wheel) . My problem with limits is that they help to make the game less interesting. I would be in favor of a two of a kind hero limit.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
1 hero limit is a good thing and keeps comp from being lovely like QP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they could try what pro tf2 does and have different limits for different heroes (like you can have 2 reapers but 1 mercy or w/e) but I don't think blizzard would be down for that

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The game has too many heroes

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please God just put 1 hero per team in QP. So bored of the gimmicks.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

flashman posted:

No it doesn't.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The world could always use more heroes

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Enjoy playing a large and diverse roster one terrible balance patch at a time. September is hanzo headshot bonanza

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

flashman posted:

Enjoy playing a large and diverse roster one terrible balance patch at a time. September is hanzo headshot bonanza

I will. The cast of the game is one of its biggest drawing points, compressing it down would kill it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of having a shitload of characters but I'm strictly QP casual scum.

EDIT: Wow that was an awful typo

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 23, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bolow posted:

Wow toxic. Reported.

One hero per team is a necessity for comp. Leave it off qp so you can learn and have fun comps. I could see them adding a mode, maybe scrimmage or exhibition mode, where they have the same rules as competative, but without the ranking. This way you can have "serious" games without the skill barriers to groups and stuff.

But leave qp as the "futz around and learn" mode.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I don't have faith in their ability to balance these characters without extended periods of bullshit balance. At least with maybe 12 choices theyd have a chance.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

flashman posted:

I don't have faith in their ability to balance these characters without extended periods of bullshit balance. At least with maybe 12 choices theyd have a chance.

You seem to be the only one in the thread who wants fewer characters so maybe consider your ideas are poo poo and wrong.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Remove: soldier 76, hanzo, widow maker, mei, symmetra, bastion . What do you really lose

Edit. Also remove Lucio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

flashman posted:

I agree, this game would be better if there was only one hero and he had a gun and it was called Call of Duty because we're afraid of something interesting like variety or diversity.