Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mega64 posted:

Did Steiner...

...OH BOY.

That loving love letter has only just begun its run of carnage and devastation.

I love LPs of games I played half a lifetime ago because I get to be reminded of plot threads I completely forgot about years ago. :allears:

Edit: One more update on the last page in case anyone missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It helps that the Love Letter Plot is weaved in amongst other things (Dr. Tot puzzling out the Madain Sari connection) and the overall effect it has is something akin to 'a slice of life.'

Also I love how no one questions how Baku got into the palace in the first place or what he was doing there. He's Baku, his ways are wily and mysterious. Gyahaha.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Hippaul's dad is the fish man: the real twist of Final Fantasy IX.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EponymousMrYar posted:

It helps that the Love Letter Plot is weaved in amongst other things (Dr. Tot puzzling out the Madain Sari connection) and the overall effect it has is something akin to 'a slice of life.'

Also I love how no one questions how Baku got into the palace in the first place or what he was doing there. He's Baku, his ways are wily and mysterious. Gyahaha.

If Eiko can get in, anybody can, really.

Alexandrian security is not great considering the only place they've really blocked off is a harbour nobody really even uses.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

That one scene and another, later on with Freya and Amarant convinced the entire internet of 2001 that they were meant to be shipped together. :(

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

This update's long enough now. Next time: Yes, you guessed it, even more dialogue! As I said, the start of Disc 3 is chatty.

I'll take the chattiness over the "gameplay" for the next part of the story. Ugh. :negative:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This whole section, especially the love letter bit, is just classic shakespearean comedy through and through, and I love it. The beginning of disc 3 really is set up like a play, and I think it's one of the best-done sections in a FF game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bufuman posted:

I'll take the chattiness over the "gameplay" for the next part of the story. Ugh. :negative:

Don't forget, you're here forever. :unsmigghh:

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.

Here's why I like to name Garnet "whiskey".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zidane is Lupin III and Steiner is Zenigata, which is a really roundabout way of explaining why they're both the best forever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Schwartzcough posted:

This whole section, especially the love letter bit, is just classic shakespearean comedy through and through, and I love it. The beginning of disc 3 really is set up like a play, and I think it's one of the best-done sections in a FF game.

Yeah, this plot has a real Love's Labours Lost vibe about it and really adds to the game's overall theatrical theme. The game opens with a play, Zidane/Dagger are a traditional romance, Kuja has many qualities of a Shakespearean villain, Vivi's entire life is tragedy, Zorn and Thorn exist, it runs throughout the story but this is one of the spots where it's most evident.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Next playthrough I should name Steiner Falstaff.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Tindeck seems to be down. Possibly dead for good, given what we've heard in this thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's down occasionally. I'll wait a bit and if it's still down after awhile I'll start replacing the links slowly. Doubt I'll have time for an update today anyway.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

The very definition of irony.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

That one scene and another, later on with Freya and Amarant convinced the entire internet of 2001 that they were meant to be shipped together. :(

It's not just that. I thought it was fairly interesting because I never noticed it before my last run of the game but I think Amarant talks more with Freya than anyone else in the party except maybe Zidane. They also hang out together at various points.

If Amarant can be said to have any connection to the party or rapport with any of the party members, it be with Freya.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

quote:

Gonna preface from now on to prevent possible confusion: I'm quoting from the Excalibur 2 Perfect Game Guide! This is how not to only beat the game at low level, but to also make a speedrun of it, and how to also not miss any missable items! It's elaborate as hell and maybe slightly insane!
Last time: Fossil Roo and Conde Petie. This time: the Black Mage village!

Maybe interesting note about the letters:
code:
 o Head right to find Mogryo; take the letter addressed to Mocchi.
 o Return to the entrance of the village and take a left. Open the ATE menu
   and watch "Different Language", then go left until Vivi runs the other way.
 o Now go to the inn, talk to Vivi and choose "Rest" to go to sleep.

o In the morning, head over to Mogryo to read the letter he received from
   Stiltzkin. He got it overnight, but will no longer have his letter for
   Mocchi in the morning (I guess Artemicion beat you to it when delivering
   Stiltzkin's letter!).
So, do Stiltzkin's letters actually affect anything but the ATE with Artemicion at the beginning of Disc 3? If no, this seems like a total waste of time, but it's "mandatory" for "total completion" anyway, apparently...

There's a bunch of shopping (including more Cotton Robe trickery), then the return to Conde Petie, and the sweetest thing so far:
code:
 o After the ceremony, you may choose to let Quina and Vivi get married. It
   only takes an extra 15 seconds so I'd do it :)
:)

Mountain Path:
code:
 o After meeting Eiko, head further along the path until you spot a group of
   Oglops; catch one and return to Conde Petie.
 o Go to the young boy behind the grocery shop, tell him your favorite dish
   (he likes Seasoned Oglops) and give him the Oglop for the Oglop Card.
I think we never saw this. There must be another way to get an Oglop Card, surely? Does this affect treasure hunter rank? Or is it like above: pointless in any way except the "of course you do ALL the missable sidequests!!!" way, even the ones with no tangible, obtainable-only-through-them reward?

A different tactic for Hilgigars:
code:
     .===================.                                           ____
  .--| BATTLE: HILGIGARS |------------------------------------------(9 AP)--.
  |  '==================='                                           ŻŻŻŻ   |
  |                                                                         |
  | • Ideally, you would want Eiko to attack Zidane, Vivi cast Fira, and    |
  |   Zidane finish the battle with 7,777 from Lucky Seven - all in 1 round.|
  | • Vivi and Eiko will both deal a guaranteed 18 damage to Zidane with    |
  |   regular attacks, setting him up for Lucky Seven.                      |
  | • Hilgigars can counter with Curaga if his HP gets low, so try not to   |
  |   cast Lucky Seven before you've lowered his HP below 7,777 with a Fira |
  |   or regular attack from Zidane.                                        |
  | • Garnet can cast Float on the party if she gets a chance.              |
   >-----------------------------------------------------------------------<
I wonder if this takes less resets than OFS' single (?) one...probably not.

The COOKING sidequest is optional. Maybe because it only changes dialogue and doesn't make the arbitrary "letters delivered" number go up?

code:
  |   fountain area. Getting the best dinner only changes some dialogue,    |
  |   but if you want to get it, then do the following:                     |
  |      a) Pour enough water for 11 people                                 |
  |      b) Don't add the seasoned Oglop                                    |
  |      c) Help the moogle with the fishing rod                            |
  | * The ATE "Eiko's Kitchen 2" will trigger after you leave the Eidolon   |
  |   Wall. Watch it and let Quina help Eiko.                               |
  | * The target times do not include this, so add 1:30 if you do it.       |
  |                                                         _________       |
  '--------------------------------------------------------/ + 1:30 /-------'
                                                           ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Once in a while I like to include the entire box like this to remind everyone how meticulously the entire thing is formatted.

We now face the biggest conundrum so far:
code:
  | * This is an optional side-quest. The colored stones and the Moonstone  |
  |   are all unique items, so it's a matter of taste.                      |
  | * By keeping the stones you can keep 4 unique key items, but leave the  |
  |   side-quest incomplete. Exchanging them gives you only 1 unique item,  |
  |   but also a full set of Moonstone - and completes the side-quest.      |
  | * The decision is yours, but the target times assume you do exchange    |
  |   the items, so subtract 1:00 from the times if you decide to skip this.|
I mean whoa this is like Caesar contemplating the crossing of the Rubicon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can get an Oglop card from the last fight of the Card Tournament, so no, it's not in any way permanently missable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can get an Oglop card from the last fight of the Card Tournament, so no, it's not in any way permanently missable.

Two other opponents have oglops in their decks and you can fight both of them infinitely.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't blame that perfect walkthrough guy for wanting to play Tetra Master as little as possible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I collected all of the cards on my last playthrough and I had to play that stupid game so much.

Never. Again. Ever. :argh:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I've noticed a small trend for this game and FF8:

It's so easy to spot the players who do play CCGs, and who don't. Nothing bad about it, just kind of amusing. :)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not just that. I thought it was fairly interesting because I never noticed it before my last run of the game but I think Amarant talks more with Freya than anyone else in the party except maybe Zidane. They also hang out together at various points.

If Amarant can be said to have any connection to the party or rapport with any of the party members, it be with Freya.

It probably doesn't help that (from what I remember) Freya and Amarant are basically vestigial to the plot from here on out. Amarant gets, like, one more scene where he learns about ~teamwork~ and Freya's entire character arc was finished with "oh no my home is gone, on no my boyfriend has amnesia" and neither of them do anything of note ever again. All the other party members either have their own romance bs to deal with, or are too young, or are Quina, so the shippers latched on.

I should note, though, that I last played this when it was new, and I may have forgotten something substantial in the interim.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

YggiDee posted:

I may have forgotten something substantial in the interim.

You haven't

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I collected all of the cards on my last playthrough and I had to play that stupid game so much.

Never. Again. Ever. :argh:

A 100% collection is 1 copy of each card, each with unique arrows.

Your reward is that the card screen freezes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

It probably doesn't help that (from what I remember) Freya and Amarant are basically vestigial to the plot from here on out. Amarant gets, like, one more scene where he learns about ~teamwork~ and Freya's entire character arc was finished with "oh no my home is gone, on no my boyfriend has amnesia" and neither of them do anything of note ever again. All the other party members either have their own romance bs to deal with, or are too young, or are Quina, so the shippers latched on.

I should note, though, that I last played this when it was new, and I may have forgotten something substantial in the interim.

You haven't. But maybe it's just the fact I recently started using him in battle for the first time but I've come to like Amarant .Best Character Ever he is not but he's not terrible in my opinion and I like his and Freya's scenes. They are probably the oldest people there apart from Steiner and Quina and Quina doesn't count. Seems natural they'd gravitate to each other.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Don't forget maxing the type of every card to an A attack type!

Does it actually freeze? Thought getting the 1700 just had a graphical glitch on the card menu.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So Dagger is basically the new dog the king and queen got to replace the country's dog that died without telling them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

You haven't. But maybe it's just the fact I recently started using him in battle for the first time but I've come to like Amarant .Best Character Ever he is not but he's not terrible in my opinion and I like his and Freya's scenes. They are probably the oldest people there apart from Steiner and Quina and Quina doesn't count. Seems natural they'd gravitate to each other.

Freya being the fourth oldest character in a cast of eight is not a huge thing given that she's 'only' 21. It'd be funnier to watch her try to interact with Eiko.

Actually, Freya doesn't really talk to anyone bar Zidane and Amarant (with brief moments with Vivi and Beatrix).

I do like the Freya-Amarant interactions, they're something I'm not sure many games do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So Dagger is basically the new dog the king and queen got to replace the country's dog that died without telling them.

Pretty much, except the new dog had a longer tail so they chopped it short and hoped no one would notice.

You'd think the public would make a bigger deal about the princess having a gaping wound on her forehead but I guess it never came up.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mega64 posted:

Pretty much, except the new dog had a longer tail so they chopped it short and hoped no one would notice.

You'd think the public would make a bigger deal about the princess having a gaping wound on her forehead but I guess it never came up.

She was six. Kids fall and hit their heads on things all the time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Freya being the fourth oldest character in a cast of eight is not a huge thing given that she's 'only' 21. It'd be funnier to watch her try to interact with Eiko.

Actually, Freya doesn't really talk to anyone bar Zidane and Amarant (with brief moments with Vivi and Beatrix).

I do like the Freya-Amarant interactions, they're something I'm not sure many games do.

I always think Freya is older than she is... drat JRPGs.

It doesn't help that half the party ranges from young to super young so everyone else seems older by comparison. There's a bit more consistency in the other games I think. Well, in the other PS FF's, anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Whoever made Tetra Master hates life.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Serifina posted:

She was six. Kids fall and hit their heads on things all the time.

"Princess Garnet was sick, but Dr. Tot has performed a trepanning and she's all better now!"

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Did they not fix this for any of the ports?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

In the new ports you get a pop up that says "What the gently caress is wrong with you?"

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So you're not the King of Jumprope OR the Athlete Queen? Boo-urns!

(No really, been loving this LP)

Bufuman posted:

Speaking of Quina, I was wondering, does the special ATE you get for having less than 100 gil when you get hir back later count towards the Get All ATEs achievement?

Yes, yes it does. Good luck, Achievement Hunters!

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Good thing Garnet's forehead healed over the horn spot and the horn didn't keep growing. Be a bit of an awkward day when child Garnet asks why she's got a big bony forehead disk/growth.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Zagglezig posted:

Good thing Garnet's forehead healed over the horn spot and the horn didn't keep growing. Be a bit of an awkward day when child Garnet asks why she's got a big bony forehead disk/growth.

Garnet is yet another Big Boss clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Steiner, I'm already a Summoner."

• Locked thread