Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I hope my boy funn1k is on the level and not actually losing his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

He is literally having a public mental episode. Like to the point where even if he was doing it on purpose to "troll" or something it's gone overboard and into problem territory itself.

But why he is doing it on an English dota site I have no idea. Why not freak out on whatever the russian version of reddit is instead

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Nevermind apparently he is mostly doing it in russian anyway

quote:

For real tho, Funnik has posted over 500 posts in his [ProDota topic](http://prodota.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=209771) in the last 3 days (currently 258 pages and counting), most are unreadable for majority of native russian speakers. His avatar was for 2 days "BLAME SPICE" on par with his title. He is flaming hard LoH, Dendi, NS and other CIS personalities while looking like a drunk krokodile abuser.

Most people ask to ban him but admins won't as long as hype is on and people are interested in the matter thus making PD dat advertisement money.

It seems like his money from TI3 is gone or close to it and he just recently was scammed for a good chunk of money by someone he called Serjoza on his stream.

Inbefore people who didn't see any of his messages on PD board call me armchair psychologist.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Groovelord Neato posted:

riot runs every one of their tourneys and has the most popular game in the world and still has nobody on that list. how.

Riot => Communist
Valve => Capitalist

drunken officeparty posted:

He is literally having a public mental episode. Like to the point where even if he was doing it on purpose to "troll" or something it's gone overboard and into problem territory itself.

But why he is doing it on an English dota site I have no idea. Why not freak out on whatever the russian version of reddit is instead

If there's anything I've learned from the recent TI, it's that the Russian-speaking community is at least as large as the entire English-speaking community.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 22, 2016

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

riot runs every one of their tourneys and has the most popular game in the world and still has nobody on that list. how.

I know more people play their game than Dota, but is there really more money being made in it? I mean, we just saw TI bring in over $80 million. I'm sure that the other majors are much less, but those 4 tournaments together with all the associated hats have got to be over $100 million in revenue.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
You are grossly underestimating the kind of bank Riot makes off waifu skins.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

league is much more popular that dota for casual players but their viewership is pretty comparable on twitch. league peaks higher for their international but generally the viewership of major dota events and playoffs of league splits are really similar from western-speaking sources. the majority of league is played in china anyways, i get the distinct impression the player numbers of league have been dropping (in the west at least) based on the kind of seemingly panicked changes riot has been making.

i dont think they're dropping to the point that they're anywhere close to dota numbers but their community is largely against them and most some full time streamers are expecting the game to die in 3-5 years based on the current ladder population and general interest so who knows.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I never played TF2 until it was an old game, but I never quite got this either since the characters are basically just avatars for poo poo-spewing players.

I get it now, kind of, because Overwatch exists and I like it's characters a lot more (and it helps that they have names other than "Scout" and "The Heavy") but at the time I thought giving the disposable, always-switchable classes these backstories was kind of dumb.

god drat its like you find new ways to show just how loving stupid you are each time.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

also

drunken officeparty posted:

stop posting about yourself

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alex Garfield is apparently leaving EG/Alliance/Twitch/etc. Dunno what impact that will have on those teams since I imagine they are too valuable of a name across different games to just fold up or something.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Only repeat TI champion stepping down, rip

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Radical posted:

league is much more popular that dota for casual players but their viewership is pretty comparable on twitch. league peaks higher for their international but generally the viewership of major dota events and playoffs of league splits are really similar from western-speaking sources. the majority of league is played in china anyways, i get the distinct impression the player numbers of league have been dropping (in the west at least) based on the kind of seemingly panicked changes riot has been making.

i dont think they're dropping to the point that they're anywhere close to dota numbers but their community is largely against them and most some full time streamers are expecting the game to die in 3-5 years based on the current ladder population and general interest so who knows.
5 years from now is a long loving time, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dota 2 were declining by then as well; they can't keep coming up with new ways to take people's money to increase TI prize pools forever.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the TI prize pool will start dropping in a few years and then the forums will go extremely doom and gloom even if the game remains healthy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Incoherence posted:

5 years from now is a long loving time, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dota 2 were declining by then as well; they can't keep coming up with new ways to take people's money to increase TI prize pools forever.

Hats will live on forever

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kainser posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the TI prize pool will start dropping in a few years and then the forums will go extremely doom and gloom even if the game remains healthy.

Valve can just lie about it and put some (more) of their own money in.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Kainser posted:

I can't wait for the "we're sc2 now boys" meme

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Fatal1ty made ~250k playing competitive Painkiller, since when is there money in loving Painkiller

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

handsome only face posted:

Fatal1ty made ~250k playing competitive Painkiller, since when is there money in loving Painkiller

Painkiller had a competitive presence for a little bit because it filled the void where a new good Quake or UT game should've been

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah valve could just run some calculations on the expected compendium income/day and artificially inflate the value for a few years so no one notices and then after TI10 deadmaus runs out on stage and the credits roll and then the dota2 servers go offline forever

tbh i think the online competitive videogame landscape 5-10 years from now is gonna look pretty interesting (or maybe esports will be entirely hearthstone-likes at that point)

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

I'm pretty sure Painkiller is the prototypical example of a developer subsidizing its own esports scene. It didn't take off.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

oh i was playing painkiller on the weekend that game fuckin owns

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Painkiller is the perfect example of a company trying to make a game an esport without any player base by throwing money at it. CPL put up a $1mill year long world tour, at the time this was announced someone took a screenshot of the server browser which showed a grand total of 12 players. Some big fps names played for the prizes and lack of q3 but there was no support and it died as soon as the money went away.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Equilibrium posted:

I hope my boy funn1k is on the level and not actually losing his mind.

Sure looks that way judging from his twitter.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
How are the pro scenes for Smite and hots? I know Smite has like a million dollar tournament but I never hear any hype for it nor are there ever any big spikes on Twitch.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
He claims to have pounced from CIS so maybe he is joining some tier 3 west european team. Kaipi.Funn1k

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is csgo bigger than dota? Obvii not bigger than league and obvii has less money but I mean viewership wise.

Dota League and CS are really the only noteworthy esports imo. Maybe Smash. 2/3 aint bad gabe.They have and will stand the test of time unlike something like Overwatch which is going to poof out within a year or two.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Original_Z posted:

How are the pro scenes for Smite and hots? I know Smite has like a million dollar tournament but I never hear any hype for it nor are there ever any big spikes on Twitch.

Viewer number wise they're both dead af

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Viewer number wise they're both dead af

Blizzard couldn't build a scene for HotS eh?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Radical posted:

tbh i think the online competitive videogame landscape 5-10 years from now is gonna look pretty interesting (or maybe esports will be entirely hearthstone-likes at that point)

there aren't gonna be any actual good competitive games (outside of some fighting games). professional/competitive games is all just marketing now. sc2 would've never gained a scene if it wasn't a sequel to the best comp game ever. hearthstone and overwatch and wow arena wouldn't have any tournaments if blizzard wasn't just spending money on them.

i dunno if we're ever gonna have something like brood war or dota again where the game just built up an audience and by happy accidents and some design ended up being really well suited for high level play.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

even by blizzard's standards the game is terribly designed.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Hope everyone is ready for people playing pitlord poorly tomorrow in their pubs!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They should surprise us by adding pitlord to captains mode right away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's gonna be one last kick in the nuts and he's gonna be on test for a week for no reason.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They kinda forced it and it was just too early for that game honestly. There wasn't really that much of a community for it and I feel like blizzard shot it in the foot.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

every blizzard game has a "comp scene" before the game even comes out of closed beta because everyone is expecting the next league of legends but blizzard has never really been able to hit it big in esports without korean support

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

blizzard hasn't made anything good since the second wow expansion came out like 10 years ago

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Radical posted:

every blizzard game has a "comp scene" before the game even comes out of closed beta because everyone is expecting the next league of legends but blizzard has never really been able to hit it big in esports without korean support

well korea loves overwatch rn

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah if overwatch gets picked up by OGN or whatever league in korea its probably gonna do well in the long run

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, Overwatch has grown more popular than LoL in Korean PC bangs so it may very well end up being the next thing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think it's way different with overwatch because that feels way more organic than HOTS a game that literally started as BLIZZARD DOTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical posted:

yeah if overwatch gets picked up by OGN or whatever league in korea its probably gonna do well in the long run

I thought OGN picked it up already? I remember watching some stream from Korea by OGN on Twitch for Ovewatch a week or two before the release.

• Locked thread