Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Automatic Slim posted:

The taxpayers would love giving corporations their own lane on the highways.

We could just use eminent domain to get them their own right of ways. I'm sure there are a lot of walking trails that could be repurposed to be dedicated lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Automatic Slim posted:

The taxpayers would love giving corporations their own lane on the highways.

He's talking about trains.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Which that joke works for taxpayers paid out the rear end to enrich railroad tycoons

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

He's talking about trains.

:thejoke:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I do not have the cultural baggage necessary to understand your sarcasm :negative:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Harik posted:

Human pilots come in real handy when your tail rotor shatters, severing all hydraulic control lines and you still manage to keep 2/3 of your passengers alive by flying with differential-throttle between your surviving two engines. Inventing your own improvised control system in the air because the impossible just happened isn't something computers are well known for being good at.

NASA developed an automated self-repairing flight control system and propulsion controlled aircraft system in response to this specific incident.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/about/Organizations/Technology/Facts/TF-2004-06-DFRC.html

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Harik posted:

I thought the workload was more due to the pilots being required to secondguess the automated system (which is capable of landing on it's own?) I actually don't know. Non-awful weather landing shouldn't be a difficult problem to solve for cargo planes - and completely automated air cargo would take a lot of the human element out of the picture.

Human pilots come in real handy when your tail rotor shatters, severing all hydraulic control lines and you still manage to keep 2/3 of your passengers alive by flying with differential-throttle between your surviving two engines. Inventing your own improvised control system in the air because the impossible just happened isn't something computers are well known for being good at.

Don't tesla chargers already do this? I recall Elon making a joke about not standing between your car and your charger.

http://youtu.be/ffnyUrd9wmg

Edit: my wife and I love that plane crash series. They're true crime mysteries that always get solved with fascinating scientific detail.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 20, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

hmmm maybe we could even give these drone trucks their own right of way lane so they could go faster and avoid traffic and random obstacles, and then maybe link a lot of drone trucks so you have 50 of them at once so you just need one truck for fuel for efficiency that fuels them all to avoid fuel logistics, and then each carrying cargo containers that you could use an automated crane to lift off once they arrive at a depot, and put onto smaller human trucks for last stop delivery... what a world that could be... wonder what they might call such a crazy automated drone truck caravan like that

So what you're saying is...automated trains.

You know who likes trains? Communists.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hey now, so do objectivists! Everyone likes trains.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

Certainly not an issue for driverless trucks, I'm sure.

In fact, for smaller commuter jets they don't actually bother with an autopilot that can handle cat IIIa/b landings. Instead its cheaper to divert if its below cat II minimums (200ft). The larger and newer regional jets that are equipped for cat III operations do not actually have an autoland that can do it, instead the pilots have a HUD and they must manually fly based on the HUD markings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So what you're saying is...automated trains.

You know who likes trains? Communists.

As a communist in name only, i can confirm. Trains are the poo poo.

Also, sometime you should ask the automated truck people why we doing have fully automated unattended trains everywhere.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh they have put a lot of work into dropping the needed crew of trains to two persons

if positive train control goes well they can probably do full drone modes in signaled sections that aren't too remote

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Octatonic posted:

Hey now, so do objectivists! Everyone likes trains.

Personal trains for everyone

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, sometime you should ask the automated truck people why we doing have fully automated unattended trains everywhere.

Because BUILD MORE FREEWAYS!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

lancemantis posted:

tbh they have put a lot of work into dropping the needed crew of trains to two persons

if positive train control goes well they can probably do full drone modes in signaled sections that aren't too remote

Half the point of trains (and the OTR trucking industry that replaced them for small goods) is that they go through the remote parts of this sprawling country to deliver goods to scattered outposts of civilization.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Liquid Communism posted:

Half the point of trains (and the OTR trucking industry that replaced them for small goods) is that they go through the remote parts of this sprawling country to deliver goods to scattered outposts of civilization.

Are you sure about that? Your typical farm is exporting a lot more goods (by volume) than it is importing, so as far as money given to the railroad goes, most of the profit is made on getting grain, cattle, and whatnot to market, not on getting a sewing machine to Mrs. Farmer.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of important to note that a self driving car's """"""""autopilot"""""""" should not be referred to in the same sense as a aircraft's autopilot. Only one of the two is tightly regulated by the FAA. The other is regulated by guys who beta test their control systems on drivers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

It's kind of important to note that a self driving car's """"""""autopilot"""""""" should not be referred to in the same sense as a aircraft's autopilot. Only one of the two is tightly regulated by the FAA. The other is regulated by guys who beta test their control systems on drivers.

The other major thing of course is that aircraft autopilots do not handle collision prevention between vehicles; instead something called a traffic collision avoidance system yells at the pilot to do something. (ie; climb, descend)

Systems like the Tesla "autopilot" are actually trying to do something much more complicated than aviation autopilots.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The other major thing of course is that aircraft autopilots do not handle collision prevention between vehicles; instead something called a traffic collision avoidance system yells at the pilot to do something. (ie; climb, descend)

Systems like the Tesla "autopilot" are actually trying to do something much more complicated than aviation autopilots.
TCAS does have an automatic mode that kicks in if the pilot doesn't do anything, though.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gail Wynand posted:

TCAS does have an automatic mode that kicks in if the pilot doesn't do anything, though.

This is important. I think it was after that incident with that Swiss traffic control guy, it's been standard to let TCAS have priority.

With that said, having transponders on all vehicles is desirable over LIDAR, but ultimately implausible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

I'm only seeing that on the A380. It certainly is not mandated whereas TCAS is.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Only one of the two is tightly regulated by the FAA. The other is regulated by guys who beta test their control systems on drivers.

Not just on drivers, but on the public at large. Self driving features, including autopilot, need to be regulated and should require type approval by NHTSA.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Tesla just needs a slap for aggressively marketing driver assist features that have existed for safety reasons since at minimum the early 2000s as a self drive system

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

blowfish posted:

, which was, is, and forever will be superior to HTTP :smuggo:
The Gopher retrospective posted a few pages ago was pretty funny, because the guys basically lost the race due to outdated standards and having the audacity to ask for $$$ pretty please to help them develop more features.

They also repeated the idea "lol we wanted something easy enough that English majors could use it!" twice in their look back, so gently caress them with a firehose.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

lancemantis posted:

Tesla just needs a slap for aggressively marketing driver assist features that have existed for safety reasons since at minimum the early 2000s as a self drive system

I was a passenger in a new VW Golf the other day and boy were the adaptive cruise control, rear view camera and proximity sensors everywhere around the car nice. Well, at least to someone driving a cheap car made in 2001.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

I was a passenger in a new VW Golf the other day and boy were the adaptive cruise control, rear view camera and proximity sensors everywhere around the car nice. Well, at least to someone driving a cheap car made in 2001.

Did VW try to tell the owner that these features meant the car had 'autopilot'?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gail Wynand posted:

So does Tesla, however. Sometimes it just doesn't work perfectly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lancemantis posted:

Did VW try to tell the owner that these features meant the car had 'autopilot'?

http://fortune.com/2016/07/30/mercedes-pulls-self-driving-car-ad/

Note that neither of those groups have filed complaints against Tesla, to my knowledge.

E: this one was in print: http://jalopnik.com/possible-mercedes-self-driven-advertisement-doesnt-feat-1783761678

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Platonicsolid posted:

Because BUILD MORE FREEWAYS!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FilthyImp posted:

The Gopher retrospective posted a few pages ago was pretty funny, because the guys basically lost the race due to outdated standards and having the audacity to ask for $$$ pretty please to help them develop more features.

They also repeated the idea "lol we wanted something easy enough that English majors could use it!" twice in their look back, so gently caress them with a firehose.

To be fair, english majors are bad at computer :hurr:

a good quote

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Atlanta's "Solution" is to build more toll lanes.

gently caress you Atlanta. gently caress you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

variable lane pricing works, it's just unpopular

we can't possibly build more lanes to meet road demand, the better thing to do is disincentivize driving

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

variable lane pricing works, it's just unpopular

we can't possibly build more lanes to meet road demand, the better thing to do is disincentivize driving

Really the best option would be to add a bunch of good mass transit that gets you around faster than driving. I'd love to take a train to work every day.

But that's communism and this is America.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really the best option would be to add a bunch of good mass transit that gets you around faster than driving. I'd love to take a train to work every day.

But that's communism and this is America.

automotive prefence is baked into american cities for a variety of reasons, from federal law and funding mechanisms to state control of regional transportation planning to local jurisdictional fragmentation and varying levels of local control of land use and transportation policy

like "just build trains" is a totally good plan but, how do you actually accomplish that in america in any feasible way? nobody's figured that out yet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

automotive prefence is baked into american cities for a variety of reasons, from federal law and funding mechanisms to state control of regional transportation planning to local jurisdictional fragmentation and varying levels of local control of land use and transportation policy

like "just build trains" is a totally good plan but, how do you actually accomplish that in america in any feasible way? nobody's figured that out yet

mandatory vaccinations to make sure enough people get autism to support more trains

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

That really isn't true; it started (that and actually good, functional tram and bus systems) but they were private. Car companies then bought them, ruined them, and claimed that mass transit just couldn't be done. Functional mass transit also pretty much requires government funding and central, governmental organization and we all know how Americans feel about that kind of thing.

America is also a very harshly divided nation; there are hordes of white people who are rabidly opposed to using any mass transit because they'd have to share it with those people and gently caress no. Mah tax dollahs ain't gonna fund something that doesn't even benefit me because I won't use it (let's just ignore that a functional mass transit system reduces traffic congestion for those who do refuse to use it).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That really isn't true; it started (that and actually good, functional tram and bus systems) but they were private. Car companies then bought them, ruined them, and claimed that mass transit just couldn't be done. Functional mass transit also pretty much requires government funding and central, governmental organization and we all know how Americans feel about that kind of thing.

America is also a very harshly divided nation; there are hordes of white people who are rabidly opposed to using any mass transit because they'd have to share it with those people and gently caress no. Mah tax dollahs ain't gonna fund something that doesn't even benefit me because I won't use it (let's just ignore that a functional mass transit system reduces traffic congestion for those who do refuse to use it).

no no no

first off, automotive preference is absolutely baked into american urban planning. for example, ITE recommended parking requirements are insanely unscientific and largely fudged as to be basically useless - shoup is a good read on this topic

second there is no truth to the streetcar conspiracy. national city lines did purchase some streetcars and eliminate them but this is against the context of falling streetcar ridership, wider use of cars, and in many cases local caps on streetcar fares that crippled the systems - more streetcar lines died without NCL's involvement than with

racism is absolutely a reason why voters reject funding mass transit but mass transit can happen anyway, without public referendum for securing funds to build the things - the bigger problem is that as a nation we've painted ourselves into a corner for preferencing the automotive mode over all others (try to ride a bike on roads even) and this is a massive structural disadvantage to making mass transit efficiently work in many parts of the us, especially ones which were built since 1950 which is like half the country

i'd absolutely love to see better mass transit across america, but you can't just say "americans are racist" like that explains the hugely flawed urban framework which has been the predominant style for the last 75+ years

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

XK posted:

NASA developed an automated self-repairing flight control system and propulsion controlled aircraft system in response to this specific incident.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/about/Organizations/Technology/Facts/TF-2004-06-DFRC.html

I hadn't heard that before, but that's a great idea. They have both the thrust-vectoring and instant "these systems have failed, here's what you can still do" readouts.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

China figured it out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CommieGIR posted:

They're doing the same crap here in Orlando....rebuild the main highway (I-4) but also add toll lanes. Every other highway in this town is a toll road. It's hell.