Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Aesis posted:

Dunkek trip report.

AA: poo poo
Mobility: almost identical to Shotgunhorst.
Gun dispersion: not too bad but don't snipe.
Penetration: feels slightly better than Shotgunhorst.
Gun angle: quite wide. You can run away and shoot back if you angle a bit.
Concealment: poo poo
Armor: average.
Fire resistance: poo poo gets set on fire non-stop.

Overall it's not a bad ship and I don't get why super testers gave negative reviews. Play it like battleship and cruiser hybrid and it'll work out fine.

It's a long ship with a bad aa fit by destroyer standards and mediocre to bad turning and bad torpedo protection. That alone is a disqualification if carrier players cotton on. It's also not that well protected, I've seen some horrifying salvoes land on well angled Dunkerques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

M.C. McMic posted:

Cool, thanks.

Not being first into a fight is something I've learned well from WoT. The slow pace of WoW makes this so much easier. When playing tanks, I'll often zoom into a position I like and get obliterated. I look at the mini-map and I'm all alone.

In WoW, even in a fast ship, there's much more opportunity to look at the mini-map and think, "I'm going to get caught out on my own if I keep doing what I'm doing." I feel like it's also quite a bit easier to predict enemy movements before and after they're spotted. Like on the Solomon Islands map... you know all the DDs are going to be running back and forth on either side of the straight dumping torps... likewise for any choke-points on other maps. That's what I do to start a map in a DD anyway... might as well roll the dice and see if you catch a couple idiots.

Just keep in mind that the true enemy has green color in this game. Never mind looking for what the enemy is doing look at all times that you don't get stabbed in the back by your team mates who turn away and flee the second they see an enemy ship.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Amusingly, WG itself seems to be aware Dunkerque not a very good ship, and are trying to encourage people to buy it - it's cheaper than the one tier lower Texas.

Another downside to the ship is it can see T8. Bottom tier battleships struggle even in the best case, and this clunker is both lightly armed (330 mm barely cuts it at T6) and armored, along with not actually having advertised speed advantage against the T8 BBs. And your visibility is too high to try and sneak around.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bought a Shotgunhorst, and despite not having played on the reg since May or so (and being meh as a result), it loving owns.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Insert name here posted:

My favourite is that allegedly the premium T7 Belfast has hydro, radar and smoke all in separate slots.

If this is the case you will never see another different cruiser in t7 or t8 ranked except for maybe an odd atago or two

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just bought the Dunker because I like bad tanks/ships that cost money.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Junkozeyne posted:

Just keep in mind that the true enemy has green color in this game. Never mind looking for what the enemy is doing look at all times that you don't get stabbed in the back by your team mates who turn away and flee the second they see an enemy ship.

Speaking of which, how long does one stay pink in this game after a TK?

Some idiot on my team went broadside in the middle of a straight I was defending in a destroyer. There were like 4 enemy ships within torp range in a narrow passage, and it was too good to pass up. So, I let one volley of torpedoes loose, and this idiot turned directly into them. I got flustered and, by the time I realized I should have just fired all six of my torpedoes, the opportunity was gone. Anyway, I sank him.

The funny thing was, the guy I sank didn't say a word, and the only thing that was said in chat was, "meh, he was dead anyway." At least the other pubbies recognized that he was an idiot. So, I give them credit for that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I think you need five games without a single point of team damage.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
When is winter in Russia, good comrade Udaloi make fire for brave soldiers of the motherland.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

This is how I understood the change as well, though thankfully it doesn't have to be consecutive - each game you cause "friendly" damage simply causes you to need an additional game. And yes, it does count lightly tapping(or being tapped by) another ship. So either play something that hides in the back, or be extremely cautious and aware of idiot teammates not paying attention to you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hammerstein posted:

When is winter in Russia, good comrade Udaloi make fire for brave soldiers of the motherland.

100k compensation? Did your team helpfully nail you with a torp?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
A quality player in a Mogami thought it would be a good idea to torp the BBs (which were out of range) while I was almost next to him.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So uhh, my first game with the König... Matchmaking hosed me hard. Fault Line. Eight tier sevens per team, and two T6 and T5 ships each. One T7 carrier on each team, though I did free-xp the hull and engine upgrades.

The result however, was pretty loving funny. Take a look at the result screenshots and guess what happened. And yes, someone did get a bit salty over it in chat. :haw:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hammerstein posted:

A quality player in a Mogami thought it would be a good idea to torp the BBs (which were out of range) while I was almost next to him.

He's helping you exploit the damage saturation mechanics.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

wdarkk posted:

I literally had my first and only team kill pink status removed in a battle where I killed someone.

Soooooooooo not sure.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

M.C. McMic posted:

The funny thing was, the guy I sank didn't say a word, and the only thing that was said in chat was, "meh, he was dead anyway." At least the other pubbies recognized that he was an idiot. So, I give them credit for that.

I've been hit with the urge to launch corps past someone who will surely be dead by the time they get there many times.

I say go for it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Did some of the crappier IJN BBs ever get improved? I'm about to move from the Kongo to the Fuso... returning after about 8 months absentia

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Small sample size but interesting results.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/4ytwxb/comparison_test_of_bb_vulnerability_to_he_and/

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

Did some of the crappier IJN BBs ever get improved? I'm about to move from the Kongo to the Fuso... returning after about 8 months absentia

Nothing wrong with the Fuso provided you instantly get the B hull for it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

M.C. McMic posted:

I just unlocked the Omaha. What's better about it compared to the Phoenix?

It's slightly tougher and has more guns facing forwards and backwards, so you have more firepower for chasing or running away, it has better HE shells, it turns better and it has much better AA. But it's slightly slower, has a greater detection range, and until you upgrade everything it has a shorter range. A range shorter then it's detection range.

Your best best is to screen battleships, and once they get into it dart forward to lay on the pain. Like the Phoenix your guns fire stupidly fast but you can get a lot of firepower onto a target without exposing your broadside, so you're actually more survivable, espicially if you keep varying your speed. Just don't be the only target because the armour is laughable.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Having played the Phoenix and Omaha recently I echo these sentiments. I play primarily BBs and in playing BBs the sight of a Phoenix or Omaha broadside to me is cause for excitement. They are citadel piggy banks for pretty much any battleship (and I assume cruisers too). Make sure you keep the amount of time you spend broadside to any ship close to nill because you *will* regret it.

Other than that let other people tank for you and lay on the HE pain. Your shells have a ridiculously high trajectory and I assume relatively low muzzle velocity so make sure to take that into account. Also you should probably forget about your torps unless you plan on committing suicide to lay a salvo of them on someone. I've made some pretty cool torpedo runs in those ships on unsuspecting battleships, but I've never made it out alive.

Tooting my own horn here a bit, but have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cApo_53hVtw

I kill both a Phoenix and Omaha in this video. The Phoenix was completely unaware of his surroundings (and to be fair, probably didn't think anyone could land such an accurate salvo on him at that range moving at full speed) and the Omaha died the moment torps forced him to turn broadside to me. So yeah - don't be broadside to things ever, it's just not worth the extra guns.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 22, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You know, you would think that mentioning the second part of that new mission (get 5 torpedo hits) CANNOT be accomplished in CVs would be an important thing to mention, but apparently not.

To reiterate, you can apparently only accomplish it with shipboard torpedoes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
König trip report so far: I can work with this. Not the most spectacular ship, but she delivers and delivers consistently.

The Good: She's tough as hell, turns well, has a good secondary battery and workable AA and the turret firing angles are great.

The Bad: Matchmaking is horrid for T5 now, the speed is meh (24 knots is what I personally consider barely tolerable), the turrets are still kinda slow and you an outrun your own aim with a steep turn.

The Peculiar: The guns. I love them and I hate them at the same times. The RoF is good and the shell trajectories and velocity are fine, too. But I cannot get a citadel pen with them to save my life, even against cruisers. On the other hand, they're very consistent when it comes to delivering regular penetrations once you know where to aim on the enemy ship and I've done 10k+ damage salvoes that way. As a result, fighting other BBs and even cruisers with the König is less about those big citadel hits and more about a steady war of attrittion where you leverage those normal pens and your armor to gradually wear down the other guy.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about with those 12-inchers:

The majority of that damage was done to two Scharnhorsts, the rest to two Myokos, a Budyonny and a few thousand to a Colorado.

Razzled posted:

Their stock hulls are all crap. But once upgraded, there's no truly weak ship in that line IMO. The Izumo is perhaps the weakest of the line and I've found her quite useable, still. They vary a lot in playstyle from ship to ship and require you to learn how to use them best each time, though.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 22, 2016

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Ice Fist posted:

Also you should probably forget about your torps unless you plan on committing suicide to lay a salvo of them on someone. I've made some pretty cool torpedo runs in those ships on unsuspecting battleships, but I've never made it out alive.

Yeah, with the Phoenix I think I actually connected with torps two or three times that I can recall before unlocking the Omaha. They came in handy when I was dueling another cruiser one on one (which rarely happens). He did not see that coming. The other time I got off a spread before a battleship killed me, and he flooded and died after the fact, which was cool. Torps on the American cruisers so far serve mostly as a "oh poo poo" defense or a final "gently caress you".

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

M.C. McMic posted:

Torps on the American cruisers so far serve mostly as a "oh poo poo" defense or a final "gently caress you".

They're also the only US cruisers to get torps, so beyond the Omaha it's not something anyone needs to worry about.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Uh excuse me but you're forgetting the glory that is the 4.5km torpedoes on the Atlanta

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Magni posted:

König trip report so far: I can work with this. Not the most spectacular ship, but she delivers and delivers consistently.

The Good: She's tough as hell, turns well, has a good secondary battery and workable AA and the turret firing angles are great.

The Bad: Matchmaking is horrid for T5 now, the speed is meh (24 knots is what I personally consider barely tolerable), the turrets are still kinda slow and you an outrun your own aim with a steep turn.

The Peculiar: The guns. I love them and I hate them at the same times. The RoF is good and the shell trajectories and velocity are fine, too. But I cannot get a citadel pen with them to save my life, even against cruisers. On the other hand, they're very consistent when it comes to delivering regular penetrations once you know where to aim on the enemy ship and I've done 10k+ damage salvoes that way. As a result, fighting other BBs and even cruisers with the König is less about those big citadel hits and more about a steady war of attrittion where you leverage those normal pens and your armor to gradually wear down the other guy.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about with those 12-inchers:

The majority of that damage was done to two Scharnhorsts, the rest to two Myokos, a Budyonny and a few thousand to a Colorado.

Their stock hulls are all crap. But once upgraded, there's no truly weak ship in that line IMO. The Izumo is perhaps the weakest of the line and I've found her quite useable, still. They vary a lot in playstyle from ship to ship and require you to learn how to use them best each time, though.

Cool cool, I guess I'm just still scarred from the Myogi

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ice Fist posted:

They're also the only US cruisers to get torps, so beyond the Omaha it's not something anyone needs to worry about.

The Atlanta and the Flint also have torps

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
I've been playing this since last year, it didn't cross my mind to look here for a thread, whoops.

I play as Jaxom82, I'm currently doing the German bb line. Just trying to upgrade the Bayerns second hull so I can take more punishment. I really didn't care for the Konig, compared to the New York or Kongo, I felt that its lack of range left it in a disadvantage.

As for Razzled asking about the Fuso, I thoroughly enjoyed the gently caress out of that ship. 16k sweet spot with devastating citadel penning for its tier. Usually took that out for the ranked battles since I didn't like the Nag.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Razzled posted:

Cool cool, I guess I'm just still scarred from the Myogi

To be fair, the Myogi is so shockingly bad that it is a lot of PTSD to get over.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

Having played the Phoenix and Omaha recently I echo these sentiments. I play primarily BBs and in playing BBs the sight of a Phoenix or Omaha broadside to me is cause for excitement. They are citadel piggy banks for pretty much any battleship (and I assume cruisers too). Make sure you keep the amount of time you spend broadside to any ship close to nill because you *will* regret it.

Other than that let other people tank for you and lay on the HE pain. Your shells have a ridiculously high trajectory and I assume relatively low muzzle velocity so make sure to take that into account. Also you should probably forget about your torps unless you plan on committing suicide to lay a salvo of them on someone. I've made some pretty cool torpedo runs in those ships on unsuspecting battleships, but I've never made it out alive.

Tooting my own horn here a bit, but have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cApo_53hVtw

I kill both a Phoenix and Omaha in this video. The Phoenix was completely unaware of his surroundings (and to be fair, probably didn't think anyone could land such an accurate salvo on him at that range moving at full speed) and the Omaha died the moment torps forced him to turn broadside to me. So yeah - don't be broadside to things ever, it's just not worth the extra guns.

Hey you have a Dropbox notification. You should look into that. :v:

Insert name here posted:

Uh excuse me but you're forgetting the glory that is the 4.5km torpedoes on the Atlanta

Flint has 9.2km torps. :shepface:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I had a friendly destroyer cruise alongside my torpedoes, get past them, then proceed to bank hard left to try and squirt out his own salvo. Problem being he turned directly into all of my torpedoes. It was awe inspiring how oblivious he was.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

El Disco posted:

Hey you have a Dropbox notification. You should look into that. :v:

lol I am not good with videos

Edit: Also, sorry I wasn't taking into account premiums when I said the Phoenix and Omaha are the only ones with torps. I was talking about the cruisers in the tree.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

To be fair, the Myogi is so shockingly bad that it is a lot of PTSD to get over.

The worst part of the Myogi is how every few games my shots actually decide to hit and I get a couple citadels. It makes me feel like maybe it's not such a huge piece of poo poo, and then it goes back to being terrible again.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The worst part of the Myogi is how every few games my shots actually decide to hit and I get a couple citadels. It makes me feel like maybe it's not such a huge piece of poo poo, and then it goes back to being terrible again.

It's terrifying how shockingly similar our experience is

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

That is exactly how I always feel driving that ship as well, I thought it was because I was just lovely at it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Insert name here posted:

WITNESS ME!!!!!

Knowing WG it wouldn't shock me if sooner or later the 9.2km torps from the Flint weren't added to the Atlanta as "gold ammo" while the Flint got to use them for "free."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 23, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Given that most gold consumables of that nature are also credit-capable I wouldn't be opposed to loading better torps for high numbers of creds. Call me an enabler I guess.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TheDemon posted:

Given that most gold consumables of that nature are also credit-capable I wouldn't be opposed to loading better torps for high numbers of creds. Call me an enabler I guess.

I'd also prefer 'premium torpedoes' to premium main gun rounds. At least then you'd have to wonder if those torps an Atlanta just fired really have the distance or not to hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

100k damage and two caps in the Nassau, team still loses. Thank you pubs.