Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I can't wait for the legit Bretonnia faction unlocker. No tech tree is starting to feel like I need to bring more than one stack to have a good chance against Chaos who has wandered into my territory with Sarthoreal, Sigvald, Kholek and Archaeon. Because why the gently caress not.

Louie on his catbird, a Paladin on a Pegasus and 4 units of pegasus knights ping ponging charges between units is hilarious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus. I guess I must have slid somehow into the good dimension where everything is cool and rules. In the world that I come from, CA has been garbage at everything past Medieval 2 and Trump was running for president. gently caress am I glad to be here instead

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No idea who the hell Helman Ghorst is and another necromancer Lord is pretty boring, but the rest of that DLC rules. loving Volkmar the battle pope on his war wagon. :allears:

I'm curious how the new units will shake out though. Corpse Carts will probably buff nearby units, Mortis Engines might work like their tabletop counterparts and mess with magic and/or explode. Flagellants will give the Empire an unbreakable chaff unit. Hell, I'm even pumped about the generic Arch Lectors and Ghoul Kings. I'm just not sure what the Free Company and Knights of the Blazing Sun will do differently to existing units. Especially the knights since we already have Reiksguard.

I had been working on an Empire campaign and a Vampire Counts one on-and-off. I'm going to have to put them on hold until this DLC releases. And then restart.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
If Ghorst is any good that makes Kemmler even more obsolete than he already is, loving lol

Buying the instant this is up for pre-order, the beast must be fed

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Belated and unrelated to wicked new upcoming DLCs, here's the video/commentary on my matches with Sammvt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQ_lnCeeTU
Round 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR97chEtbhE

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dre2Dee2 posted:

If Ghorst is any good that makes Kemmler even more obsolete than he already is, loving lol

Buying the instant this is up for pre-order, the beast must be fed

The mod that adds Krell to Kemmler's starting units makes Kemmler sooo much better as a starting Lord

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I hope the Strigoi Ghoul King has a skill line that buffs the ghoul infantry into something that can be a reliable line infantry. It'd be nice to get some more use out of those poisonous cannibals. Also, I wonder if the ghoul king will get a regeneration skill like the horrors do. Can't wait to see regardless.

And as mentioned earlier, Kemmler is going to need some serious buffs or sidekick Krell if Ghorst gets the DLC treatment i.e. cooler and better skills than vanilla Lords/Heroes ala the Gorebull. Really just makes me wonder why they didn't give VC a Ghoul King LL like Ushoran for a pure melee lord. He has more lore than Ghorst anyway, no?

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 22, 2016

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I wonder if the Lore of Shadows is a possibility for this next patch?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I hope the Strigoi Ghoul King has a skill line that buffs the ghoul infantry into something that can be a reliable line infantry. It'd be nice to get some more use out of those poisonous cannibals. Also, I wonder if the ghoul king will get a regeneration skill like the horrors do. Can't wait to see regardless.

I think that the Ghoul King gets regen is a yes, because of two reasons: Its not that big of a step away from vampire lords who get The Hunger at level 2 and in that picture he IS mounted on a Terrorgheist and they have regen. The only question is if its something they get from level 1 or if they have to put skillpoints into it.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

And as mentioned earlier, Kemmler is going to need some serious buffs or sidekick Krell if Ghorst gets the DLC treatment i.e. cooler and better skills than vanilla Lords/Heroes ala the Gorebull. Really just makes me wonder why they didn't give VC a Ghoul King LL like Ushoran for a pure melee lord. He has more lore than Ghorst anyway, no?

I hope this happens but worst comes to worst there may be a way to mod the DLC buffs onto Kemmlers skilltree so he gets them too!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I think regeneration on the Ghoul King is a pretty safe bet. They had it standard in the tabletop, but had no access to armor.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I had totally forgot he was riding a Terrorgheist, I hope it's possible for the infantry version too.

Tardcore posted:

Did the Vampires get this in tabletop? Someone on reddit said Vlad had access to it. What can we expect from the Lore of Shadows?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am stoked for this Lord Pack and am shelving Empire and VC until it happens. :allears:

which basically means I grind the rest of the way through Chaos and take the occasional beastman palate cleanser

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZoninSilver posted:

Belated and unrelated to wicked new upcoming DLCs, here's the video/commentary on my matches with Sammvt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQ_lnCeeTU
Round 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR97chEtbhE

Good games! And goddamn, that first one was easily the closest fight I've seen in Total Warhammer.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Recommendations for the first dozen or so turns on VH Chaos?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

No Vlad :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Good games! And goddamn, that first one was easily the closest fight I've seen in Total Warhammer.
I had a game come down to a gorebull vs like 20 slayers.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Are you sad because you're not seeing him? I think he may be back ~~Later~~

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

At this point I'm pretty sure this game has been so successful for them that they're almost guaranteed to keep pumping out DLC until our eyes bleed... which means Vlad will almost certainly happen at some point.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Gonkish posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure this game has been so successful for them that they're almost guaranteed to keep pumping out DLC until our eyes bleed... which means Vlad will almost certainly happen at some point.

I am ok with my eyes bleeding, so far this has been the most invested I have been in a total war game since medieval 2. the lord packs including new units is AWESOME.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah this is pretty much my GotY, and I havent even played it that much comparatively. I just kinda slotted it in there :(

What all could Greenskins get I wonder? Only things really missing are the Squig- and Squiig-themed units. Then ofc Snotlings and the Pump Wagon.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Wait, did the FLC vamp get revealed? I assumed the bit in the letter referring to another "bearing [Mannfred's] name" and saying that the ring brought him back and "is the source of his power" was teasing Vlad as the FLC, with the sender, Ghorst, being the Lord Pack guy for Vamps.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

stopgap1 posted:

I am ok with my eyes bleeding, so far this has been the most invested I have been in a total war game since medieval 2. the lord packs including new units is AWESOME.

Oh yeah, definitely. This game has it's share of (relatively minor) problems, like the AI's love of agent spam, but despite those little things it's still the best TW game they've ever put out, imo. Definitely happy with it and the DLCs released so far, and this new one looks fantastic as gently caress (and I'm not just saying that because VCs and Empire are my favorite factions). The variety in playstyles and unit rosters is amazing, and really something only a fantasy setting could have provided. It makes perfect sense for them to keep supporting the game, too, since apparently it's the most successful title they've ever released?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I do hope they add something for the Dawi, otherwise we are always going to be garbage tier.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Ghoul Kings? Spooky ghost Necromancer Lord?? All the other stuff too??

VC campaign is already great TW fun as it is, this is great news. Especially if you just roll with Manny's 'claim' on the Empire and end up having to brutally pacify rebellions until they're all too undead to care. Until Chaos shows up and by then it's just all about making sure Archaon knows who's the top dog of the southerners.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Planning on making this my after work come down. Should I go whole hog and grab the beastman DLC?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ChickenWyngz posted:

Planning on making this my after work come down. Should I go whole hog and grab the beastman DLC?

Only if you intend to play as them from the get go, they will be in the game anyway, all the DLC does is let you play as the guys. It is a pretty cool DLC and a very fun faction, but I wouldn't be in a rush to get them unless they are the first faction you want to tackle the campaign with.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Tardcore posted:

Before the leaked video got taken down, I guess the FLC was confirmed on the same facebook page as a new LL and 5 maps, so probably not.

Honestly I was expecting Lore of Shadows to get introduced with one of the Vamps, so now I'm not sure what next months DLC is going to be...I assume the FLC Orc LL will get released alongside the Dwarf/Greenskin DLC so man I dunno. I don't think it'll be Woof Elves quite yet.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

ZearothK posted:

Only if you intend to play as them from the get go, they will be in the game anyway, all the DLC does is let you play as the guys. It is a pretty cool DLC and a very fun faction, but I wouldn't be in a rush to get them unless they are the first faction you want to tackle the campaign with.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Incidentally the Beastmen had my favorite campaign.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Beastmen are worth it for plenty of reasons, but this is the one right at the top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ChickenWyngz posted:

Personally I wish I hadn't bought Chaos and had instead bought the Beastman DLC twice. Like with different Lord units or something.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
First Chaos campaign on VH - wiped on turn 30-something when I got ganged up on by a couple Skaeling armies after I'd just wiped another one in a pyrrhic victory, only had the one horde. Woops.

Decided not to reload. I was sort of spinning my wheels in Norsca anyway, maybe I'll try a different approach.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Dartonus posted:

Wait, did the FLC vamp get revealed? I assumed the bit in the letter referring to another "bearing [Mannfred's] name" and saying that the ring brought him back and "is the source of his power" was teasing Vlad as the FLC, with the sender, Ghorst, being the Lord Pack guy for Vamps.

Well since Empire got a new LL and then a new Hero (Or whatever the Sigmar++ dude is), and VC got Ghorst and new Wight King thing, I assume that Vlad won't be in this one.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Got this game a week or so ago and I just finished my first game as the Dwarves around turn 200.
A really good chunk of that was me trying to hunt down the remnants of a goblin rebellion to clear out a grudge. I eventually realized that there were no goblins but rather a bugged grudge. I was thankfully able to force a rebellion in the same province by raiding my own stuff and this cleared it out.

My thoughts on the game thus far:

I've played every game since Shogun 1 and this is the first time I've actually finished a campaign. Even through the bugged grudge I loved it that much.

CA absolutely nailed the feel of playing Dwarves. Some of the choices that pop up are incredibly flavorful. My favorite was either the one about ignoring a very difficult to clear out grudge (both options are to continue the grudge) or the one where some human faction wants your gunpowder technology and the second option is "gently caress you, this is my intellectual property." Every step of the campaign felt incredibly dwarfy.

Grudges are a really fun mechanic for the most part. I've seen mention that it can get obnoxious with agent spam, which is true but it gives you a good reason to purge some factions I'd otherwise ignore. I found them really helpful for making some quick cash in the early/mid game.

The Chaos invasion was pretty entertaining for me. It culminated with me baiting two full Chaos stacks with Archeon/the Tzeench demon into attacking a super elite stack who was using the underway. Ironbreakers/Hammerers did some good work in close and my cannons absolutely shredded everything else. :getin:

I'm debating what to play next. I want to either crank up the difficulty and start with the Slayer King with Dwarves or give Orks a shot. I don't have any of the DLC yet- just not a fan of horde factions but I'll grab the hopeful Wood Elves DLC in a heartbeat.

E: Oh yeah- I tried so hard to make Slayers work since they're relatively fast and can run stuff down but they always felt pretty underwhelming. I love their concept so hopefully we see some buffs.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 23, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With the Lords DLC themed like this, I'm guessing the Dwarf pack will be them versus Greenskins. Thorek Ironbrow (Dwarf battle-pope with the ANVIL OF DOOM) with Daemon Slayer heroes, Grimm Burloksson (Dwarf engineer lord) plus Bolt Throwers and maybe Rangers (vanguard stealthy Great Weapon Quarrellers), Skarsnik (Night Goblin lord with a pet Squig) and a slew of Squig units, and Gorbad Ironclaw (Orc Boar Boss that was Grimgor before Grimgor) are all likely candidates.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Well since Empire got a new LL and then a new Hero (Or whatever the Sigmar++ dude is), and VC got Ghorst and new Wight King thing, I assume that Vlad won't be in this one.

There's another free Legendary Lord in addition to the paid DLC that hasn't been revealed yet, so Vlad is still a possibility.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slayers do terribly against infantry but really well against monsters and cavalry. They're pretty vulnerable to archer fire though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I honestly find Slayers pretty good now outside of auto-resolve. They have no staying power but they're fast and do crazy damage, my starting unit of Slayers with Ungrim would always end up with like 100+ kills after most fights. The HP/AP buff they got last patch does make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008
I'm having a lot of fun with the Beastmen. I really like how the horde mechanic takes a lot of the economy planning out of the game and lets you really just raise heck.

That said, are Gors even really worth it? You run negative income a lot, and I'm trying to save every penny.

I'm also not sure how raiding works under the hood. Is it advisable to get a third horde that consists only of a lord going just to get raid income? Does the number of units in the army affect raid income at all?

• Locked thread