Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

monster on a stick posted:

Szarabajka was also the voice of Harbinger. And apparently the Nug Wranger in DA:O as well, I hated that sidequest :argh:

YOU LIVE BECAUSE WE ALLOW IT. YOU WILL DIE BECAUSE WE DEMAND IT. BUT AT LEAST YOU DON'T HAVE ANY poo poo ON YOUR HANDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Biggs though is not the same as our previous partners, all of whom also resisted Cole when they first met with the exception of Earle who saw opportunity, in that he was pretty much in the sunset of his career. His about face from telling Cole to piss off in the morning to stepping in to defend him by the evening is either a great example of the effect Cole has on people or some really bizarre writing. I'd like to think that Biggs was just another tired old man who's been jaded by years of life experience and started to resent the younger, more 'successful' people around him until Cole's little speech in the car where he told him he was going to get to the bottom of what was going on just to spite everyone who's laughing at him brought a spark back to Bigg's life.

I think has a bit less to do with Phelps and more with the kind of person Biggs is. Not many of his coworkers have a high opinion of him, probably because he's a bit too direct and confrontational during conversations. He doesn't really care about Phelps' infidelity, and once he airs his gripes about having a partner and about Phelps' early arrogance, he's got no real problem with him.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think it's more Biggs refuses to do anything less than 100%, and that includes having a partner, even if it's one he did not want. I think he defends Cole, not because he necessarily likes him (at first) but because Cole is Biggs partner, and Biggs don't take no poo poo even tangentially.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Suspenders are actually pretty comfortable, especially if you have a job trust nibbles lots of moving and bending. They do a far better job of holding my pants to my rear end than my belt ever did. If plumbers wore suspenders we wouldn't have plumbers crack.

e: and you don't wear them with a belt

Also Keith Szarabjaka is quite possibly one of my favorite voices, ever. Could listen to him read the phone book.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2016

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SpookyLizard posted:

trust nibbles

It took me a second to realize you probably meant 'that involves', but that's a funny phoneposting mishap. :mmmhmm:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah. Im leaving it as is. Made me giggle.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Also Keith Szarabjaka is quite possibly one of my favorite voices, ever. Could listen to him read the phone book.

Agreed. For me he is up there with Morgan Freeman, Stephen Fry, and Patrick Stewart.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
For wartime Herschel Biggs action check out The Misfit Brigade AKA Hell on Wheels. It's based on a Sven Hassel book but it's pretty good. Like a lesser Dirty Dozen. Also starring Bruce Davidson, David Patrick Kelly, David Carradine and Oliver Reed!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I reckon Biggs sounds a bit like Andy Richter and that's alright with me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Also Bobbin, some looks never go out of style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JaREjs96c4&t=112s

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's funny to see how they recycle some actors for the street cases. I noticed the crazy guy with a pot on his head was also the trainyard necrophile.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes:

- The Stout Scarab is an extremely rare car. According to wiki, only 9 were built. Which makes it peculiar that one is simply sitting around in a garage.
- They use various codes in these street crimes, the meaning of which is never explained. 415 is "disturbance", 459 is burglary and 211 would be a robbery.
- At 20:58, Phelps and Galloway have their pistols out while looking at Carruthers putting a body into the coroner's van. Are they expecting a reanimation?
- The pervert with the camera is Marlon Hopgood from "The Fallen Idol", but he and Earle has nothing to say to each other.
- The scene with Caldwell: possibly recycled from a cut Burglary or Bunco case? Maybe something where they were investigating a larger scheme about rigging the outcome of horse races?
- Phelps recognised Oswald Jacobs and William Shelton even though the former may not appear at all (depending on game version) and it is possible to miss the latter during "A Marriage made in Heaven".
- During some of the chase scenes, the famous Hollywood sign is visible, though since it's not 1949 yet it still reads Hollywoodland, the name of the housing development it was originally an advertisement for.
- In the first Arson case, Biggs claims he has never fired his gun in anger. This is of course completely wrong if you did a chase with him before that point, but that's "game mechanics contradicting plot" for you.
- The bit with chasing a guy because he is an alleged Red made me wonder: would the LAPD investigate someone solely for their political affiliation, or is that the sole purview of the FBI? The HUAC was mentioned at one point, and there was the bit with Grosvenor McCaffrey and Matthew Ryan apparently sympathising with leftist views. Once again, not having a case where our "heroes" investigate a leftist group for their supposed subversive activity seems like a missed opportunity to showcase how sordid the politics of the time were.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kopijeger posted:

Notes:
- The pervert with the camera is Marlon Hopgood from "The Fallen Idol", but he and Earle has nothing to say to each other.

Thing is, though, he's the only chase I believe when Earle won't fire on the car to shoot out the tires... So it's not like they forgot him entirely.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

Thing is, though, he's the only chase I believe when Earle won't fire on the car to shoot out the tires... So it's not like they forgot him entirely.

That, or they recast the actor like davidspackage pointed out.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Biggs claims he has never fired his gun in anger.

His gun is a tool for justice. Not used anger. Not used for revengeance.

Besides, he and Phelps the the only cops to not abuse that loophole.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I kind of like the Stout Scarab- it's got that 'cute-ugly' look the Bug has, only in greater quantities :3:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That, or they recast the actor like davidspackage pointed out.

Yeah, he's fallen on hard times if he's now just shoving his giant camera under skirts in the street instead of luring the ladies into his backroom hollywood rapeset. I think they mean for him to be a different character.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The whole perv chase seems like a wackily prescient precursor to a Benny Hill skit, just lacking the music.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This video is great for showing off just how goddamned pretty LA is in this game.

hoonigan_neil
Feb 25, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

This video is great for showing off just how goddamned pretty LA is in this game.

Caught for a relatively innocuous crime? Better turn it into attempted capital murder!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

ScandiHoonigan posted:

Caught for a relatively innocuous crime? Better turn it into attempted capital murder!

I think you're thinking of "petty," not "pretty," but your thing applies, too.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Now let's be fair here, if you were approached by somebody from the 1940's LAPD, wouldn't you want to run too?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What colour is my skin in this scenario?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What colour is my skin in this scenario?

Phelps and his .45 don't seem to discriminate, running from him is almost a guaranteed death sentence; I'm pretty sure his motto is 'Kill 'em All and Let God Sort it Out'. Even the people we don't shoot end up doing something that'll probably earn them a trip to the gas chamber (like the Communist who ran someone over for no reason).

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

Wanamingo posted:

Now let's be fair here, if you were approached by somebody from the 1940's LAPD, wouldn't you want to run too?

Phelps has a thing for women who are having nervous breakdowns. I think I'd be just fine.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Molly Millions posted:

Phelps has a thing for women who are having nervous breakdowns. I think I'd be just fine.

For a moment, I tried to tie this into something about the Olympic games. Then I remembered that this was the L.A. Noire thread and who the protagonist is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It IS weird how that massive clue about the construction wood gets ignored. I wonder if Cole was originally going to notice it, but they cut that interaction out? At the same time, drat, why didn't the construction company at least sand off the stamping from the planks they were just laying out for everyone to see? That's some audacity.

At this point in the game, I wracked my brain for a bit before I realized Leland Munroe was played by John Noble of Lord of the Rings and Fringe fame.

These videos make such great dinner time viewing for me. And I'm hugely enjoying the classic film segments.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes:

- Phelps mentioned the Japanese legend of the one thousand paper cranes:

wiki posted:

A thousand paper cranes are traditionally given as a wedding gift by the father, who is wishing a thousand years of happiness and prosperity upon the couple. They can also be given to a new baby for long life and good luck. Hanging them in one's home is thought to be a powerfully lucky and benevolent charm.

Several temples, including some in Tokyo and Hiroshima, have eternal flames for world peace. At these temples, school groups or individuals often donate senbazuru to add to the prayer for peace. The cranes are left exposed to the elements, slowly dissolving and becoming tattered as the wish is released. In this way they are related to the prayer flags of India and Tibet.

The Japanese space agency JAXA used folding 1000 cranes as one of the tests for its potential astronauts.
- Biggs claimed to have fought with the 2nd Marines at Belleau Wood. There was no such formation there; instead, the 4th Marine brigade, consisting of 5th and 6th Marine regiment and 6th Machine Gun batallion, was attached to the 2nd Infantry division.
- On an unrelated note "Herschel" is a Yiddish name mening "little stag" and Biggs is apparently of English origin. The combination seems unlikely and Biggs is apparently not supposed to be of Jewish ethnicity (otherwise it would probably have been mentioned and used against him already). Probably another research failure on part of the developers.
- Why didn't the Morellis go on the trip they had "won"?
- At Rancho Escondido, the houses seem far enough apart that it would be unlikely for a fire in one to spread to all of them, at least not before firefighters could get there. Which should make it extra suspicious that they all burnt down.
- Monroe's headquarters seems like it is intended to be ultra-modern in style. Could it be a reference to some real-life building?
- Why would Monroe's secretary keep the list of waybill distributors at hand? Why isn't it being handled by some low-level subordinate? Seems likely that the developers cut corners instead of adding another character/location to go to.
- Elsa's singing voice sounds nothing like her speaking voice.
- Having Chapman hijack the streetcar is a clear sign that the developers had no idea how to end the case in a sensible manner and resorted to a silly action sequence once again.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 22, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The actor who played Elsa actually sung three full songs that appear in the game, including the one in this case. It's not that much of a stretch for someone to sing a song and not have it be in their native accent.

E: VVV Well, that's my goof. I remembered that Brucken played Elsa but was mistaken. My latter point stands. though.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 22, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

- On an unrelated note "Herschel" is a Yiddish name meaning "little stag" and Biggs is apparently of English origin. The combination seems unlikely and Biggs is apparently not supposed to be of Jewish ethnicity (otherwise it would probably have been mentioned and used against him already). Probably another research failure on part of the developers.
- Why didn't the Morellis go on the trip they had "won"?
- Elsa's singing voice sounds nothing like her speaking voice.

Herschel's dialog does have some Yiddish terms sprinkled in ("schtum"), so there's reason to believe that he may be Jewish or of mixed Jewish descent. That, or it's another example of the developers not knowing how names work.

I presume the Morellis had a family emergency that was even more sudden than the Sawyers', since their tickets are listed as "Collected" in the last case.

Regarding Elsa's voice, it would seem you're correct. According to the credits, Elsa's appearance and speaking voice are portrayed by Erika Heynatz, while her singing voice was provided by Claudia Brucken.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Herschel's dialog does have some Yiddish terms sprinkled in ("schtum"), so there's reason to believe that he may be Jewish or of mixed Jewish descent. That, or it's another example of the developers not knowing how names work.

That's another thing: that particular phrase seems to be more British than American. Also, the term "asswipe" didn't seem very 1940s or noir to me. Online dictionaries claims it first appears in print in the 1950s ("First print appearance in Saul Bellow’s The Adventures of Augie March (1953)"). Another linguistic anachronism like "schlong", it would seem.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The visit to Monroe's office was always a bit odd - it's also the only time in the game that Cole threatens to go and get a warrant, even though he probably knows that would be futile as no judge would grant one even if it wasn't to threaten one of the most powerful men in the city. The whole interview is also a bit odd, what did Cole think he would accomplish by barging into his office and accusing him of being the mastermind behind all of this? Even if Monroe did admit to anything it's not like they'd be able to do anything about it since there would've been no other witnesses and trying to arrest him there would've ended very, very, very badly.

I didn't find the plans about the freeway system to be really out of place though, they'd be great marketing material since you could claim that all the new houses would be near these new roads and they'd offer quick access to the whole of LA. Of course we'll find out later that there's a much bigger connection. I'm also pretty sure that Rancho Escondido was a mistake and that Ira has gone rouge by this point; in order for the Development Fund's scam to work they need the houses standing so they can claim against the value of the homes rather than the vacant lots. They just wanted him to burn down homes of people who won't sell and are threatening their time table.

This week's Noir Corner also touched on a very, uh, interesting period in American history. There's no shortage of information about anti-Communism and McCarthyism out there so I won't bother expanding on it here but it went much, much deeper than the Hollywood blacklists - if anyone here hasn't ready up about it just look up Joseph McCarthy and see how deep that rabbit hole goes. And for those of you who thought this was all a thing of the past, this year's election cycle now has people calling for HUAC to be brought back to keep us all safe. I'm honestly surprised it took this long to come up really.

And totally unrelated to anything else at hand there was a shot from a movie that looked oddly familiar to me while I listening about Hayden, and I realized it was the cenotaph to the right that I recognized. It's a war memorial that stands in front of what is now known as Old City Hall in Toronto. Though the area now looks nothing like the one in the shot.

Doesn't really have anything to do with Yugoslavia or the OSS. It's still there to this day, though it has a few more wars inscribed on it.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 23, 2016

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I had a grandfather named Herschel Baldwin with only English and Scottish roots. Of course, his brother was named Norvin, so maybe their parents were just a little odd.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

And totally unrelated to anything else at hand there was a shot from a movie that looked oddly familiar to me while I listening about Hayden, and I realized it was the cenotaph to the right that I recognized. It's a war memorial that stands in front of what is now known as Old City Hall in Toronto. Though the area now looks nothing like the one in the shot.

Doesn't really have anything to do with Yugoslavia or the OSS. It's still there to this day, though it has a few more wars inscribed on it.

Well, for probably obvious reasons, I couldn't find a picture of Sterling Hayden from when he was in Yugoslavia.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given how terribly that text is overlain on the wood piles I'm of the mind to say it was meant to be removed but deadlines happened and it was missed.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
If you swing by these locations before the Arson desk, are the homes still there, or are they already burned out husks?

edit: Howard Hughes, Nazis and a Comic Book Hero?
The ROCKETEER?!?!?!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 23, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Biggs gets around. He was also a cop in the second Nolan Batman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
It was quite a surprise to see John Noble in this game!

• Locked thread