Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Migishu posted:

Hulk "Hulk Hogan" Hogan

I want his name to sound like an echo everytime it's mentioned

This. This is the best.

Hulk Hulk Hogan Hogan. And I hope everyone trails their voice off when they say it....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Grapplejack posted:

We're not going to use the Hulkster's canon nickname, Hollywood??? I'm disappointed in you thread.

Hollywood is good

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Just did the Tower mission with late game gear on commander. It doesn't scale at all. Poor Julian didn't last a single turn.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Just saw this, great to see an XCOM2 Commander's Guide, as the original XCOM 1 LP was very handy.

One question - in the OP, the Table of Contents points directly to the Youtube videos, but doesn't show the posts themselves (unless I missed it somehow, entirely possible). Can you add the actual LP posts as well, similar to how you did for the first one? It's really handy being able to check the actual LP posts containing your write-ups of skills and stuff without needing to hunt them down through the 44 pages and counting.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Grapplejack posted:

We're not going to use the Hulkster's canon nickname, Hollywood??? I'm disappointed in you thread.

Nah nah nah, we save that for the mid-LP heel turn.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I'm going to be the odd man out and vote for Hulk "Meat Shoes" Hogan. And also for Julian "Prodigal Son" Chen.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Migishu posted:

Hulk "Hulk Hogan" Hogan

I want his name to sound like an echo everytime it's mentioned

To make it extra stupid, switch the order of the nickname so that it's Hulk Hogan Hulk Hogan.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

GuavaMoment posted:

Jade hates both fun and that skill. :(

loving Unsubbed. I can't believe this bullshit.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

MagusofStars posted:

One question - in the OP, the Table of Contents points directly to the Youtube videos, but doesn't show the posts themselves (unless I missed it somehow, entirely possible). Can you add the actual LP posts as well, similar to how you did for the first one?

Done

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Turns out 'Runnin' Wild' is just too long for the character limit in the game :(

So call him 'Guns Wild' instead.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I've managed to get a colonel-level sniper for free on a game I've been playing for the past 2 weeks, and I've trained her to be a Pistoleer. I know Guava harps on about the Pistol Sniper, but I'm just not seeing the appeal outside of Fan Gun. She just seems to be a weird middle-ground between the Ranger and Sniper from the few missions I've fielded her on.

Is there a gimmick/teamcomp I'm missing?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Highwang posted:

So I've managed to get a colonel-level sniper for free on a game I've been playing for the past 2 weeks, and I've trained her to be a Pistoleer. I know Guava harps on about the Pistol Sniper, but I'm just not seeing the appeal outside of Fan Gun. She just seems to be a weird middle-ground between the Ranger and Sniper from the few missions I've fielded her on.

Specialty ammo applies to pistols, which means a pistol spec can really spread the love on stuff like viper rounds or do insane damage with bluescreen rounds.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Highwang posted:

Did you give her dragon rounds for the extra damage? Keep using her as a ranger, and have her take her shots first. Use faceoff or the free pistol shots to weaken enemies and set them on fire. Everyone else does cleanup. If faceoff is on cooldown, then use fan fire to kill the toughest enemy you're facing. Viper/bluescreen rounds also work if you don't have dragon.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Mostly ammo types. Lots of chunks of damage you can pass around to whoever needs it. IIRC the pistol shot skills don't end your turn, (though most do take an action point) allowing for some hilarity where you just see who has been set on fire. Or use BS rounds and just deny robotic enemies their right to HP. Can leave them at the back like a sniper though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Bluescreen + Fan Fire + Sectopod = :getin:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Kwyndig posted:

Specialty ammo applies to pistols, which means a pistol spec can really spread the love on stuff like viper rounds or do insane damage with bluescreen rounds.

GuavaMoment posted:

Did you give her dragon rounds for the extra damage? Keep using her as a ranger, and have her take her shots first. Use faceoff or the free pistol shots to weaken enemies and set them on fire. Everyone else does cleanup. If faceoff is on cooldown, then use fan fire to kill the toughest enemy you're facing. Viper/bluescreen rounds also work if you don't have dragon.

Ah. That explains it. I have like no ammo barring Talon Rounds because I started near Europe and got the armor bonus super quick so I just focused on that.

I'll have to get Y2K bullets at some point since I waste so much time trying to kill a sectopod.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Highwang posted:

I'll have to get Y2K bullets at some point since I waste so much time trying to kill a sectopod.

I completed my first game this weekend, and sectopods in my experience aren't bad if you have the tools to counter them and can afford to focus on it.

Acid bombs are a godsend against sectopods, one or two will strip the armor right off. If you've been upgrading your gremlins, combat protocol will do a lot of damage if you have that available. I built my sharpshooter primarily as a sniper, and found that even without bluescreen rounds he could do big chunks of damage once the armor is gone, as can a shotgun ranger.

I never used bluescreen rounds, I didn't like how limited they were versus other ammo types. In retrospect this was something of a mistake - sectopods become fairly common (1 or 2 per map) after a certain point in the game, MECs and turrets will be around in most missions, and the not-calcinite is vulnerable once you've made it angry. Not sure if the not-outsider is vulnerable or not, but even if it isn't, that's still a bunch of common late-game enemies that you can bluescreen.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
e: Meant to post this in the main XCOM 2 thread

Zoran fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 23, 2016

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Hulk Gawker Hogan

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm going to be the odd man out and vote for Hulk "Meat Shoes" Hogan.

I second this.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Man, I still think RunninWild should be good enough for anybody!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I never thought of using Fan Fire to apply status effects. I was always about having a sniper on an elevated platform as a 'if the team can see it, I can shoot and pull it' thing. Which synergizes well with Rangers, since you can have your invisible spotter way out to spot, say, Sectopods at the Factory.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Lightning Reflexes > Fan Fire > Faceoff/Regular Pistol shot

That's six potential shots against a single target, plus one against everything else if you're using Faceoff. As stated before, a gunslinger will just absolutely melt Sectopods and other mechanical enemies if you have bluescreen rounds equipped. Stripping at least some of the armor may be necessary, though, depending on your weapon tier.

Feels really satisfying, too.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Huh, I never thought of using Fan Fire to apply status effects. I was always about having a sniper on an elevated platform as a 'if the team can see it, I can shoot and pull it' thing. Which synergizes well with Rangers, since you can have your invisible spotter way out to spot, say, Sectopods at the Factory.

After finishing up the game with this gunslinger, I didn't find myself relying on status ammo but rather using the pistol attacks in the right sequence. Ammo makes them a specialized killer, but in general its better to know when to chain the free shot into regular shot into Fan or Faceoff based on the circumstances. Hell, I barely survived one of the final missions because of a really well placed Faceoff chain.

Gotta give her credit for being a great backup plan at least.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Green Intern posted:

Lightning Reflexes Lighting Hands > Fan Fire > Faceoff/Regular Pistol shot

One of those skills didn't involve shooting your gun.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Jade Star posted:

One of those skills didn't involve shooting your gun.

Gotta get the secret skill from the AWC.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Can't deny that Faceoff can work wonders when things are set up brilliantly though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=birji_-4r7w

Be warned, that spoils some of the future armour choices, but I don't think there's any new aliens in that.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm going to be the odd man out and vote for Hulk "Meat Shoes" Hogan.

gently caress, that's good. Seconding Meat Shoes.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

GoneRampant posted:

Can't deny that Faceoff can work wonders when things are set up brilliantly though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=birji_-4r7w

Be warned, that spoils some of the future armour choices, but I don't think there's any new aliens in that.

That's pretty great. Also there's a certain enemy in there we haven't seen yet but I'm willing to bet we'll see one next update.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation True Roman Testicle

Another quick retaliation mission here with out anything particularly new to discuss. One thing worth mentioning though is something Guava points out early in the mission; knowing your enemies and what you can expect to see during the rest of the mission. This relates back to my Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome, and Guava is right to point out that the Muton was going to be the toughest thing in the mission and warranted a more liberal use of items than I ended up using. In my reasoning the muton was part of a 2 alien pod, so it was slightly under strength to begin with and it was the very first thing I saw. I expected there to be a more serious threat later in the mission, but nothing that bad ever turned up. Julian comes home with an unused rocket, and a little bit of sadness for not exploding some kind of ADVENT.

A second thing worth talking about is that thing Guava constantly hates about Bulwark. The muton takes cover using Julian this mission and turns the Bulwark bonus against us. Oh no! Guava seems to hate this more than anything and feels like it is a serious problem. However as I point out and demonstrate in the video this can be used to X-Com's advantage. Mutons are tough aliens to deal with early on, they have a natural 10 defense and hiding in high cover gives them 40 more, making them a a real pain in the rear end to pull out of high cover. But if you can trick a muton into using a SPARK for high cover and then pull that cover away from him you leave the muton vulnerable in the open and exposed for free flank shots from your entire team. Any possible downside Guava can bitch at me about Bulwark giving the enemies cover is worth nothing because when they do that you simply move the SPARK anywhere you desire and it leaves an enemy completely and utterly vulnerable to being murdered by your entire squad. I would much rather have a muton hide behind a SPARK so i can pull the rug out from under its feet than have it take real cover behind a tree or wall. Moving a SPARK to remove cover from a muton is so much easier than having to use skills or explosives to remove a muton from cover. So, let them take cover behind Julian I say. It's the last dumb decision they will get the chance of making..

Lastly, if it wasn't fairly obvious I had a lot of editing happen in that video for multiple reasons. The lobster memorial video was made after the mission video and spliced in somewhat crudely, and guava crashed somewhere during the Big Sky transmission. Oh well, at least it wasn't JAIDS.

SPARK skills, Cavalier rank
Intimidate Vs Wrecking Ball

Honestly I don't get too excited about either of these skills. Intimidate gives a chance to panic an enemy that shoots at your SPARK, which sounds good but has some catches. First off you're getting shot at. Stop that, stop letting ADVENT live long enough to shoot back at you. Second it's 1 attempt to intimidate a turn. And last, while I don't know the exact formula, Intimidate has never had a stellar success rate with me, maybe around 25-50%. So it's of limited use and likelihood to work, but when it does work it panics an enemy and removes them from the fight for two turns. That's great. So it's a big effect that won't ever happen often enough to rely on it. And I think by now I've made my position known that I prefer things I can rely on happening 100,% or near 100% of the time.
Wrecking Ball also has the potential to be super cool. It's another Overdrive modifying ability that lets the SPARK just plow through cover while it moves. This can be super nice, busting through walls Kool-Aid man style to expose ADVENT positions to flanking shots. You also have to be careful not to trample over cover your own team is in the process of using. With a little care and waypoint managing it could prove really useful, but it is only active when Overdrive is active, limiting its use.

Overall I can't give you a clear winner. Intimidate may be the easier choice because it's passive and will work and do things with out a player having to keep it in mind and make even more micro management decisions while fighting. Both can have a big impact on a fight, but the opportunities or chances for them to really do the most they can do are pretty sparse.

Winner.... Intimidate? Maybe? gently caress it, go experiment on your own, I'm getting a Root Beer.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 25, 2016

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
The picture links to mission 2 for some reason

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

cokerpilot posted:

The picture links to mission 2 for some reason

Fixed. I am totally not super lazy and just quoting that post over and over to change the urls....

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jade Star posted:

Operation True Roman Testicle

Another quick retaliation mission here with out anything particularly new to discuss. One thing worth mentioning though is something Guava points out early in the mission; knowing your enemies and what you can expect to see during the rest of the mission. This relates back to my Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome, and Guava is right to point out that the Muton was going to be the toughest thing in the mission and warranted a more liberal use of items than I ended up using. In my reasoning the muton was part of a 2 alien pod, so it was slightly under strength to begin with and it was the very first thing I saw. I expected there to be a more serious threat later in the mission, but nothing that bad ever turned up. Julian comes home with an unused rocket, and a little bit of sadness for not exploding some kind of ADVENT.

What is it about XCOM 2 that makes this effect so much more noticeable than in XCOM EU/EW? I recall numerous points where you would freely use consumables early and often to deny as many shots as you could- it took several episodes before we saw so much as enemy weapons fire.

quote:

Intimidate gives a chance to panic an enemy that shoots at your SPARK, which sounds good but has some catches.

Has this panic ever resulted in a shot towards XCOM forces? I've never seen it happen, unlike how XCOM units panic and fire at nearby ADVENT units. I'm glad if enemies don't take more shots, of course, but I hardly want to gamble on that being the case.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Zomborgon posted:

What is it about XCOM 2 that makes this effect so much more noticeable than in XCOM EU/EW? I recall numerous points where you would freely use consumables early and often to deny as many shots as you could- it took several episodes before we saw so much as enemy weapons fire.

I've not played XCOM 2 but watching these videos the pods do seem a bit more varied compared to XCOM 1 especially at this level of the game, so the added diversity means you might need your tools for later on.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Has this panic ever resulted in a shot towards XCOM forces? I've never seen it happen, unlike how XCOM units panic and fire at nearby ADVENT units. I'm glad if enemies don't take more shots, of course, but I hardly want to gamble on that being the case.

Far as I know Enemies Panic will never give a Result that is inherently negative toward you, so they will either cower or take a shot at other Enemies. Intimidate can also activate on more than Shots, Offensive Actions that Target the Spark work, Mark Target from Advent Captains for example.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh i forgot to mention I'm going on vacation on Friday and will be gone for almost two weeks. So don't expect updates until after Sept. 8ish

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I feel like I have to call bullshit on Guava saying Intimidate has a high proc chance, cause I never ONCE saw that loving thing work in my save file and Julian was getting shot a lot.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 25, 2016

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I was playing a mission today, and I could have sworn that intimidate can trigger more than once a turn, though it's still not the most effective.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Highwang posted:

I feel like I have to call bullshit on Guava saying Intimidate has a high proc chance, cause I never ONCE saw that loving thing work (E: IN MY SAVE) and Julian was getting shot a lot.

I assume this was your Julian, not the LP, given that he hasn't got it yet. Still I would also shoot at Julian a lot, were I on the scene.

e: ah, ok.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
"Oh yeah, I wanted to feed this kill to Squaddie-"

And that's when Hulk invoked the creative control clause in his contract.

• Locked thread