Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

nerdman42 posted:

If someone could write a version of The Wire but with superheroes, I would be a happy man. I genuinely want to know how the stats game would work when you have magic and the eighteen superheroes in New York messing with your cases. Would gangs have plans in case the Punisher strolled down their block? Important questions.

I mean, the tone is wildly different, but you are kind of describing Top Ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fatherdog posted:

I mean, the tone is wildly different, but you are kind of describing Top Ten.

Top Ten was wonderful.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Idk that gun looks like 100% bullshit to me

*gasp*
"Bullshit! My one weakness!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So yesterday I was reading a collection of the 40's horror comic "Adventures into the Unknown" and the end of the story The Living Ghost is one of the goofiest things I've ever seen.

So the story is about a giant demon guy called the Living Ghost who appears ever 100 years to cause havoc and murder people

As you can see, he is very big.

Eventually he kidnaps a woman and square jawed hero saves her by throwing a stick at his head, making him mortal.

So the Living Ghost is captured and then this happens:

Yes, they put a giant monster man in the electric chair to execute him.

Oh no:

The end, no moral!

Unrelated panel:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

"In the end, his giant supernatural powers were too much for it" is my favorite literary moment of all time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just really love the idea that they caught this giant monster, who is supposed to be Satan's chief lieutenant, and the US Justice system tried him and sentenced him to be executed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

I just really love the idea that they caught this giant monster, who is supposed to be Satan's chief lieutenant, and the US Justice system tried him and sentenced him to be executed.

I would read a comic about his trial.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The collection that story appears in is part of the current Humble Bundle that ends today and it is in the $1 tier.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I want the comic about the public defender assigned to his case and how he tries to manage trial strategy with a giant ghost of evil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really like the facial expressions on the execution panels. He goes from "Man, being executed sucks" to "Ha ha, psych! EVIL FOREVER!"

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

:doink:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Yet no attempted murder charges on square jaw turning him mortal and rolling a huge loving rock onto him.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Chip Zdarsky is holding a surprise con with some special guests.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

John Dyne posted:

Yet no attempted murder charges on square jaw turning him mortal and rolling a huge loving rock onto him.

Seems like a pretty clear self-defense exception. "Some of these mutants have powers dozens of times more deadly than any handgun," etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This just raises so many questions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Chip Zdarsky is holding a surprise con with some special guests.

Nice to see Zdarscon expanding this year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It looked like a nice time last year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey guys, guess what time it is?
Time for more motherfucking Living Ghoooooooooost!

Watch me dive straight into the side of the pool!

Living Ghost wastes no time. Also, this happens

Yay, Tony's dead!

Booo!

Tony goes to visit the guy who gave him the magic stick (that didn't work well enough) last time and comes up with a stupid, stupid idea

Just so dumb

Don't worry though, the Professor has given him a remote control that can totally stop the Dark Phantom

Their team up is not off to a great start

FIGHT SCENE

Great, now you made him even bigger!

Tony, still a dumbass but wait

Hey man, I found your remote control

And everything has gone back to normal!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddammit Tony

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
normally i'd prefer individual panels instead of a shortened version of the entire comic, but that living ghost is pure dynamite.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Way to accomplish absolutely nothing, Tony.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Travis343 posted:

Way to accomplish absolutely nothing, Tony.

I wouldn't say nothing, unless the writer walks back the fact that the Living Ghost is now the size of a mountain.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I kind of want to read a series now where the main character constantly foils the attempts of the main villain by killing his enemies for him and constantly making him stronger.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's playing the long game and hoping the Living Ghost needs an understudy or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe it's a long term "oh, you want power, Living Ghost? Here's ALL OF IT!" strategy, making the LG stronger and stronger until he finally explodes or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hey man, I found your remote control

wait a second, that man has two right hands!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Faith by definition is unconfirmable.

Also, Galactus never happened.

foxnews.jpeg

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Captain Bravo posted:

I kind of want to read a series now where the main character constantly foils the attempts of the main villain by killing his enemies for him and constantly making him stronger.

I enjoy stories where the hero happens to walk by the portrait of someone who can help him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Dark Phantom needs to see whoever it is who does Living Ghost's hair because that look's not working out for him at all

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No matter how batshit insane you think comics are you can count on the Golden Age to beat it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I have no idea how to find the Living Ghost..... hey monster dude spare my life and I'll lead you right to the Living Ghost!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

loving whiplash from the pace. I love it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Serious Frolicking posted:

normally i'd prefer individual panels instead of a shortened version of the entire comic, but that living ghost is pure dynamite.

There's a reason they called it the golden age :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even suicidally depressed peter parker doesn't think much about pym's crib.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I want an ANTPYM license plate the next time I want to keep my privacy.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Should be "Pym Antnex". :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I too look for privacy by using custom plates and putting a giant label of my name on the building I'm relaxing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This is dumb but the font on newspaper Spider-Man comics is honestly painful to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Serious Frolicking posted:

wait a second, that man has two right hands!
So you're telling me he learns from the Living Ghost but is eventually stabbed to death by a Frenchman? I'll buy it.