Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

david carmichael posted:

Actually you will find that the guy who knocked out Robbie Lawler and beat up Carlos condit is Nick diaz

This is pretty compelling evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Carlos is cool.

Coolos

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think a big thing that manyak was trying to articulate is that the best don't often compete against each other in mma. The average number of fights for a top 10 guy is less than three, and the amount of time any guy is in the top 10 is usually only a handful of years, and for most people it's like 2 max. So a lot of highly ranked fighters never actually beat any other highly ranked fighters.

So even if you are currently ranked, for instance, number 4 in your division and have fought 23 times in the ufc, it's entirely possible that you have only fought three other guys in the top 15 and one of those guys doesn't actually fight in your weight class anymore, and another one of those guys beat you badly. But here you are, number 4 in the world based on the official rankings.

Whereas in cycling I know there are a lot of different racing courts (clay, grass, turf, hard), and cyclists compete against one another in bike cycling tournaments dozens of times a year so a total ordering of overall performances can be created based on these repeated head to head matchups, which evens out over all different cycling courts even if one style of cycling is more well suited to a certain type of cycling court.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Anyways when it comes to rankings in mma I agree mostly with fatherdogs former ranking criteria which are:
- only fights in a weight class impact a ranking at that weight class
-entire career at that weight class is considered, but last 2 years are weighted much more heavily

I guess he doesn't use those anymore

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Can we get back to talking about how Jon Jones does so much coke that he needs boner pills to help him cheat on his wife?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Anyways when it comes to rankings in mma I agree mostly with fatherdogs former ranking criteria which are:
- only fights in a weight class impact a ranking at that weight class
-entire career at that weight class is considered, but last 2 years are weighted much more heavily

I guess he doesn't use those anymore

I use those if somebody asks me "How do you rank the fighters in X division", but when people ask "Is this guy top 15" they usually mean "in the official rankings" rather than "In your personal rankings that you make in your head and can remember on command"

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michael Bisping isn't a top 15 fighter, discuss

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think Nate jumped from like 9th to 4th in the UFC Official Lightweight Rankings based on beating a featherweight at middleweight.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I think Nate ranked up so UFC can justify his pay. Think about it, who's going to pay a 15-ranked fighter millions of dollars?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

iLikeMidgets posted:

I think Nate ranked up so UFC can justify his pay. Think about it, who's going to pay a 15-ranked fighter millions of dollars?

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Guys if he's ranked number 8 for the rematch like he was after beating Johnson The Fans won't suffer us paying him millions

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

iLikeMidgets posted:

But the UFC doesn't determine the rankings, so the responsibility for that bit of stupidity lies soley with MMA journalism.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Remember when any of the lovely cans who were scheduled to fight Fedor would jump five spots in the rankings? That was good.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

freud mayweather posted:

But the UFC doesn't determine the rankings, so the responsibility for that bit of stupidity lies soley with MMA journalism.

Sorry. I don't watch fights or pay attention to anything. Carry on.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If you go to the Official Ufc Rankings Page [tm] they have the list of panelists who vote on them, in a drop-down -

http://www.ufc.com/rankings?id=

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Trast posted:

a quick finish against Nick Diaz

Here's your problem right here

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

NippleFloss posted:

I think Nate jumped from like 9th to 4th in the UFC Official Lightweight Rankings based on beating a featherweight at middleweight.

He jumped from unranked to 16th, to 9th or 8th, and then to 7th or lower. all after the Johnson fight and before the McGregor fight. I forget the exact rankings but it was funny

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Wasnt he like 8th and then he mysteriously became unranked after he told ufc to gently caress and suck because he wasnt fighting for 16/16 or whatever.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

sorry, i'm sure this has been asked before but what's the deal with nick diaz? his suspension was lifted, right? is the nsac just waiting for him to pay the giant fine before they let him return?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

sorry, i'm sure this has been asked before but what's the deal with nick diaz? his suspension was lifted, right? is the nsac just waiting for him to pay the giant fine before they let him return?

technically yes (he's still under suspension until the fine is paid) and yes

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

Wasnt he like 8th and then he mysteriously became unranked after he told ufc to gently caress and suck because he wasnt fighting for 16/16 or whatever.

Yep

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

david carmichael posted:

Actually you will find that the guy who knocked out Robbie Lawler and beat up Carlos condit is Nick diaz

Touche.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I was out of town. I assume everyone's reactions were cool and measured :)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Sphinxster posted:

I was out of town. I assume everyone's reactions were cool and measured :)

I think it was cathartic and honestly not that bad.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Novum posted:

I think it was cathartic and honestly not that bad.

I was sincerely hoping for a majority draw after the first two scores were read.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Sphinxster posted:

I was sincerely hoping for a majority draw after the first two scores were read.

Same here, but at least now the sport as we know it can move forward.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michael Bisping isn't a top 15 fighter, discuss

he's the champion and the champions don't get a ranking number, they are the champion

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

USADA is investigating Nate's vape pen Hahahaha

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

sportsgenius86 posted:

gently caress that.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

handsome only face posted:

he's the champion

for a few more days

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

that's hosed

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

They might not though. So Woodleys last fight to earn the title shot was a split decision over Kelvin Gastelum that easily couldve gone the other way, and as I said the judges are at times insanely bad and unqualified. Since he lost Gastelum had to take more fights and ended up losing to Magny, a fight which Woodley easily couldve lost too if he had to take it. Instead, Woodley waited and got the title shot (a pretty arbitrary decision by the UFC since other guys were getting good wins during his year off) and won whereas Gastelum is middle of the pack. So thats an example where two guys of roughly equal skill have drastically different career paths depending on the whims of bad judges and UFC matchmaking instead of merit

theres 2 more pages after this, but I agree with it like it happened moments ago

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Are we arguing that Gastelum and Woodley are fighters of roughly equal skill based on their close fight while also saying that styles make fights and sometimes a worse fighter will beat a better fighter every time just based on how they match up against each other?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah, Gastelum is a much better fighter than Woodley

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Also, Kelvin was hosed either way promotionally because he missed weight by 9 pounds in that fight.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 23, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Theres a secret true better fighter and theres no way to know who it is, even if fighters fight each other multiple times in 5 round fights. The only way to know for sure is to compare who they each fought 9 years ago in japan or on an Indian reservation or something.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Except if the official UFC rankings say they're ranked #1. In that case, A is A.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9-4yVm9dM&t=21s

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
What I am saying is that Woodley seems to bring sadness to Goons so by that logic he'll knock out Nick in the first minute if they ever fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

If he continues to knock people put in the first, I don't think we would continue to dislike him.

• Locked thread