Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

super macho dude posted:

really cool gee-tar!
by Sampson on 5/8/2015 12:51:58 AM
I am so getting this! I'll look so cool on stage with my new guitar, and picture of the most beautiful man in the world on it! the guitar I have now has no strings, so this will be a nice change of pace for me! can't wait to rock out while I'm answering nature's call!, should get everything movin'!

:psyduck:

the origins of the drifter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Here's a hot take from the WO board

quote:

Rollins is a reckless wrestler. The flying knee he hit on Cena - at full force, literally pulling Cena's head to his knee flying through the air - how could anyone expect that to have gone well?

He ended Sting's career. When it happened EVERYONE went on and on about how it was somehow Sting's fault that this 55 year old man, who has had dozens of matches with workers who are supposedly less skilled than Rollins, got hurt when being WHIPPED into turnbuckles by a guy who was supposed to protect him. And not only once, but twice, after the first injury was apparent. let's not forget how he dropped Sting on his head and a monitor when they were on the announce table.

A month or so later he injures his own self and is out nearly a year due to his reckless working style. He can't even take care of himself.

And now he hurts Finn Balor in their first match, without Finn even being on the roster for a day to enjoy being champion.

Yet I have to hear from all these indy darling lovers about how great Seth Rollins is.

The truth is, Seth is the single most reckless worker of modern times. No one has hurt more big names (including himself) in a serious way, in such a short amount of time (about 14 months). Yet because he came from ROH and marks love him, he gets a pass.

Well, gently caress Seth Rollins. I don't think he should be working on top anymore. If he is,. a few years from now. he'll pretty much be the only wrestler left. Unless he somehow manages to hurt himself again, that is.

Go ahead and tell me about how you think I'm wrong, and none of this was Seth's fault. I'm sure nearly none of you will agree, but at this point, how can you not see it? Seth is a reckless worker. He DID NOT protect Cena, Sting or Balor on the moves that hurt them. At least Bret Hart, another guy who was injured forever by a wreckless worker, can see this and called him on it. Sting is such a classy guy he played it down, but the bottom line is, Seth either needs to clean up his work and stop overdoing these risky moves when guys trust him with their body, or he needs to be taken out of the top spot and sent to work with mid carders.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He's completely correct

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chris James 2 posted:

He's completely correct

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Man who does crossfit injures self and others isn't a huge stretch.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the only stupid opinion about seth rollins being too dangeous is that it probably feels good to be injured when he does harmful strikes and throws. That sounds very stupid because it is nearly impossible to feel good if trhat happened

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Seth Rollins: dumb as gently caress

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

At least Sting had the professionalism to go on a podcast and specifically not blame Seth Rollins.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm sure Seth gave Sting spinal stenosis, and it wasn't a pre-existing injury from 30 years of bumps

RIP Sting, just entering his prime

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seth actually rules.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm sure Seth gave Sting spinal stenosis, and it wasn't a pre-existing injury from 30 years of bumps

RIP Sting, just entering his prime

oh, I have no doubt about that. I'm still mad Jerry Lawler had the temerity to tell everyone who listened that Dolph's elbow drops caused his heart attack. Because it certainly wasn't the 3 whattaburgers and strawberry shake he used to wash down his crushing realization he's a fuckin lecherous tool.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

coconono posted:

oh, I have no doubt about that. I'm still mad Jerry Lawler had the temerity to tell everyone who listened that Dolph's elbow drops caused his heart attack. Because it certainly wasn't the 3 whattaburgers and strawberry shake he used to wash down his crushing realization he's a fuckin lecherous tool.

Uhh, maybe you don't realize that those were shoot elbow drops from Dolph

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Uhh, maybe you don't realize that those were shoot elbow drops from Dolph

Then Jerry should have protected himself. He sat ringside through all those Dolph matches and he just then realized Dolph wasn't powdering those elbows?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

coconono posted:

Then Jerry should have protected himself. He sat ringside through all those Dolph matches and he just then realized Dolph wasn't powdering those elbows?

I have it on good authority that Dolph could take Conor McGregor in a fight, what could Jerry do against that?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I have it on good authority that Dolph could take Conor McGregor in a fight, what could Jerry do against that?

Punch him very hard. Like the time he knocked Axl Rotten stupid(er)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when middlebrow sites write about wrestling dot png

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Alain Post posted:

when middlebrow sites write about wrestling dot png

Yeah but her reviews are pretty great so I don't care. It's not even as though she's overanalysing or anything so I'm not sure why people were complaining.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm waiting for the Mecca people to hear about the DELETE chant on Raw and start saying "SEE THAT'S PROOF EVERYONE WATCHES IMPACT" instead of just that one match.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah but her reviews are pretty great so I don't care. It's not even as though she's overanalysing or anything so I'm not sure why people were complaining.

it's not about overanalysis or anything like that, wrestling is a worked sport and trying to write about it as a "storytelling medium" in a way that sidelines the actual matches shows a lack of understanding of the medium itself

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Alain Post posted:

it's not about overanalysis or anything like that, wrestling is a worked sport and trying to write about it as a "storytelling medium" in a way that sidelines the actual matches shows a lack of understanding of the medium itself

to be fair, when's the last time the WWE really told a great story simply through a match instead of just going straight through the formula

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ParanoidInc posted:

to be fair, when's the last time the WWE really told a great story simply through a match instead of just going straight through the formula

I want to say it happened more recently than the Dolph/Del Rio world title double turn but I'm probably being generous with that assumption

That was a great story though

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

There are like a hundred people doing the match by match breakdown. I think it's good to have a broader overview of what an episode is doing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Alain Post posted:

They still cover the match, just not blow by blow, and WWE is increasingly using the show surrounding matches to tell their story rather than the matches themselves. Given the amount of time WWE give to non-matches then it's fair to review it as a TV show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DrVenkman posted:

They still cover the match, just not blow by blow, and WWE is increasingly using the show surrounding matches to tell their story rather than the matches themselves. Given the amount of time WWE give to non-matches then it's fair to review it as a TV show.

Yeah but this is kind of buying into WWE's hosed-up view of wrestling, one which honestly isn't that far removed from Vince Russo poo poo (I mean, WWE doesn't really abuse worked shoots, but still)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There should be a Godwin's Law but for Vince Russo

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

St Evan Echoes posted:

There should be a Godwin's Law but for Vince Russo

Godwinn's law.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

Yeah but this is kind of buying into WWE's hosed-up view of wrestling, one which honestly isn't that far removed from Vince Russo poo poo (I mean, WWE doesn't really abuse worked shoots, but still)

No more than, say, Lucha Underground's is. At heart wrestling uses a combination of matches and angles to tell stories and draw in audiences. WWE's problem is not and has never been that it has story segments. It's a problem when the writing for those segments is bad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE's unique(in terms of pro wrestling) that they really eschew the competitive aspect of the artform for the storytelling. Match results only matter in the grand narrative. Very rarely does an act in the match actually matter. That's also where the criticism that WWE's writing is terrible comes from.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coconono posted:

WWE's unique(in terms of pro wrestling) that they really eschew the competitive aspect of the artform for the storytelling. Match results only matter in the grand narrative. Very rarely does an act in the match actually matter. That's also where the criticism that WWE's writing is terrible comes from.

They are also unique in that the grand narrative also doesn't matter.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The_Rob posted:

They are also unique in that the grand narrative also doesn't matter.

not as long as TNA or ROH still exist

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Right, essentially WWE in their dedication to be 'Sports Entertainment' have created a TV show with characters and storylines that also happen to include fighting. It's not cheating to review them in accordance with how they're trying to present themselves (Which makes it all the more frustrating when they do get it right, like Smackdown recently).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Right, essentially WWE in their dedication to be 'Sports Entertainment' have created a TV show with characters and storylines that also happen to include fighting. It's not cheating to review them in accordance with how they're trying to present themselves (Which makes it all the more frustrating when they do get it right, like Smackdown recently).

Which is why I feel like there's a decent amount of people like me who don't watch any of the story or promo segments (unless I hear they're awesome) and just search out specific matches cause they seem like they have their own totally seperate storylines. Or just watch the awesome match promos they put together. You can watch all the Zayn-Owens matches and get basically the entire background from them without a single backstage segment or whatever

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
peter kaasa seems like a super chill dude. wonder if he's going to have to scrub this if he wants a chance at better bookings/more dg tours.

https://twitter.com/roundhousekiss/status/769297440201646080

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

peter kaasa seems like a super chill dude. wonder if he's going to have to scrub this if he wants a chance at better bookings/more dg tours.

https://twitter.com/roundhousekiss/status/769297440201646080

I'm hoping he just gets hosed.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
What an idiot, doesn't he know intergender matches are cool and good now? Someone link him some Lucha Underground

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can kinda see how a transwoman might have an advantage over cis women in an MMA fight if we're talking purely physical attributes, but the domestic violence comparison pretty much obscures anything he's trying to say there. Too bad, Kaasa's crazy good in the ring. I wonder what he thinks of Yosuke Santa Maria since they're both in DG.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Marquis de Pyro posted:

What an idiot, doesn't he know intergender matches are cool and good now? Someone link him some Lucha Underground

The match wasn't intergender tho

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

I can kinda see how a transwoman might have an advantage over cis women in an MMA fight if we're talking purely physical attributes, but the domestic violence comparison pretty much obscures anything he's trying to say there. Too bad, Kaasa's crazy good in the ring. I wonder what he thinks of Yosuke Santa Maria since they're both in DG.

I know the Olympic standard is transwomen can compete as women so long as they've been on hormones for a certain amount of time- after a while their muscle production slows and they don't have any advantage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know the Olympic standard is transwomen can compete as women so long as they've been on hormones for a certain amount of time- after a while their muscle production slows and they don't have any advantage.

Yeah, at that stage the only advantage Fox has is MAYBE reach, and that's just part of the MMA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well that's entirely reasonable then. Fact is if it's early in transition they WOULD have an advantage, but I'm sure there's a cutoff point of some sort. Honest, non-trolling question: would time of transition matter? In my admittedly limited exposure, transwomen who transition later in life tend to have a...bumpier transition (which makes sense, the body is more malleable the younger it is, see also skin bouncing back after big weight loss, women losing baby weight, whatever). Does that factor in here?