Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TheTrend posted:

I'd say nice meltdown but it was funnier when it was funny like 10 years ago. I first saw it used to comic effect in TRP many moons ago. I like the idea of cost or time maybe not both.

Nice "I care the least so I win" meltdown :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

loving 24 hours to transfer ships? :laffo:

loving grogs man. 😂
At that point like, why even have it as a feature? Like, if it's going to take so long what's the point of using it compared to just flying the drat thing yourself?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Nice "I care the least so I win" meltdown :grin:

Ok

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:salt: :yum:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Thronde posted:

Wait what's up with ceos?

Some idiots on the xbox are busy selling UA's there to break it and then going to the forums to salt mine those trying to run missions there.

Sothis is still up so you can fill up at the 1 station and 1 outpost there, so it doesn't really matter unless you are flying in a large ship in which case it's a problem as sothis alone can be hard to fill up on.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What are UAs and how do they break a thing?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

What are UAs and how do they break a thing?

Unknown Artifacts. Sell enough of them on the black market and the station essentially goes on lockdown and you need to sell Meta-alloys there to 'fix it'.

The problem is the number of meta alloys you need is far far larger than number of UAs. Expect weeks before Ceos is fixed.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

FileNotFound posted:

Some idiots on the xbox are busy selling UA's there to break it and then going to the forums to salt mine those trying to run missions there.

Sothis is still up so you can fill up at the 1 station and 1 outpost there, so it doesn't really matter unless you are flying in a large ship in which case it's a problem as sothis alone can be hard to fill up on.

Huh, it's the xbox users that are doing it? Well I guess if they're both hitting the same servers then one would affect the other.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol so they are like a lore friendly Lizard Squad.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Huh, it's the xbox users that are doing it? Well I guess if they're both hitting the same servers then one would affect the other.

They are, all ED clients share the same world but cannot play together. Xbox is essentially a private group rather than Open.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Wait, is Sothis actually UA bombed or is it just Ceos? 'Cause who gives a poo poo about Ceos, the New Jersey to Sothis's New York?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Wait, is Sothis actually UA bombed or is it just Ceos? 'Cause who gives a poo poo about Ceos, the New Jersey to Sothis's New York?

When I went there a couple of days ago they were both UA bombed and I was only able to get missions from Sothis Mining outpost.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

i made this for you all

thank you fart man

TheTrend posted:

I'd say nice meltdown but it was funnier when it was funny like 10 years ago. I first saw it used to comic effect in TRP many moons ago. I like the idea of cost or time maybe not both.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

i made this for you all

:stwoon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The frog's eyes tracking the Nice Meltdown :grin: really make that

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

When I went there a couple of days ago they were both UA bombed and I was only able to get missions from Sothis Mining outpost.

I was there Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning - and only Ceos was down.

Anyway there is this handy salt mine with current status: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/282198-My-SOTHIS-report-Updated-every-hour-%28or-not%29/page7

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Although I originally opposed the decision, I grew to appreciate how immersed I felt impotently watching my character fly about for minutes at a time after Bethesda took out the instant teleporting stiltstriders and mages guild guys in Morrowind and replaced them with the flying taxis from World of Warcraft.

Looking back, it's funny how I used to think that words like "mmo" and "single-player" had meaning. I was mistaken. It's clear to me now that all medieval running-around-with-swords games are identical.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Hey you! Yeah, you! Are you coming back after months of inactivity? Are you a complete newbie? Do you want to learn how to do engineer stuff? Then boy do I have the thing for you! I present "The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer" -- this will tell you what you need to know, what you need to do, and all that great stuff. Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

The guide is written with a clueless idiot in mind. It's based primarily on my own experiences in getting max rank with everyone. It is factually correct as of this time. I am constantly updating it, adding poo poo that I come across that might be useful Give it a read and let me know if it helps.

If someone wants to help me convert it into a forum post I'd be down for that too.

This is superhelpful! As much as I like it Elite does a poor job of explaining.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Hey you! Yeah, you! Are you coming back after months of inactivity? Are you a complete newbie? Do you want to learn how to do engineer stuff? Then boy do I have the thing for you! I present "The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer" -- this will tell you what you need to know, what you need to do, and all that great stuff. Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

The guide is written with a clueless idiot in mind. It's based primarily on my own experiences in getting max rank with everyone. It is factually correct as of this time. I am constantly updating it, adding poo poo that I come across that might be useful Give it a read and let me know if it helps.

If someone wants to help me convert it into a forum post I'd be down for that too.

Have they redesigned the restricted areas of +++ bases, or is that more to do with the security level? The ones I used to frequent back in my base blasting days wouldn't even let you drive within 500m of the building before getting into a restricted area, never mind getting close enough to actually interact with anything in the base.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

I was there Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning - and only Ceos was down.

Anyway there is this handy salt mine with current status: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/282198-My-SOTHIS-report-Updated-every-hour-%28or-not%29/page7

Ah alright! I think I confused myself by seeing the under construction sparks on the outside and figured Sothis/Robigo were both down without checking after I landed at Ceos first.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DreadLlama posted:

Although I originally opposed the decision, I grew to appreciate how immersed I felt impotently watching my character fly about for minutes at a time after Bethesda took out the instant teleporting stiltstriders and mages guild guys in Morrowind and replaced them with the flying taxis from World of Warcraft.

Looking back, it's funny how I used to think that words like "mmo" and "single-player" had meaning. I was mistaken. It's clear to me now that all medieval running-around-with-swords games are identical.

It's pretty bullshit that we even have to fly between stations at all

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

Have they redesigned the restricted areas of +++ bases, or is that more to do with the security level? The ones I used to frequent back in my base blasting days wouldn't even let you drive within 500m of the building before getting into a restricted area, never mind getting close enough to actually interact with anything in the base.

I'm not sure. All I know is the sites listed in my doc (that I stole from the brown sea but acknowledged and linked!) all follow the same layout and rules. Just like it shows in the terrible videos I recorded.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
How does one try their hand at exploring? I haven't done it at all yet but I've got enough credits saved up to outfit something for it. Do I just pick a direction and start flying? Do I need to bring anything other than a ship with good jump range, a scanner, and a fuel scoop?

What's the deal?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
For a large ship like the corvette, is it better to get dirty or clean engine upgrades? I'm not too sure about the relation of optimal modifier vs optimal mass.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

How does one try their hand at exploring? I haven't done it at all yet but I've got enough credits saved up to outfit something for it. Do I just pick a direction and start flying? Do I need to bring anything other than a ship with good jump range, a scanner, and a fuel scoop?

What's the deal?

That's basically it. A ship with a good jump range, fuel scoop, advanced discovery scanner, detailed surface scanner. If you want to muck about on planets a bay with an SRV or two. Automated repair modules don't weigh anything so one of those would be nice.

As for where to go, try going up or down a few hundred light-years from the bubble, then pick a direction and head out there. That way you should be a bit off the beaten path find more previously undiscovered systems.

Asp Explorer or Diamondback Explorer should do you good if you can afford em.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

gently caress, fit my Asp for max cargo and flew out to Robigo. Can't take any missions because I need to be cordial and there's no way to raise rep because I'm not cordial. Sothis and Ceos got UA bombed too so you can't do anything there till it updates that they're fixed. gently caress.

I was at Sothis yesterday and it worked fine but CEO was nonfunctional Robigo was working I believe.

EDIT: I just checked now and I can run missions at Sothis.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Did a Sothis run this afternoon, can confirm it's fine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kramjacks posted:

If you want to muck about on planets a bay with an SRV or two.

Is there anything to actually find/do on planets in the middle of no where or is it just a screenshot opportunity?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Insert name here posted:

For a large ship like the corvette, is it better to get dirty or clean engine upgrades? I'm not too sure about the relation of optimal modifier vs optimal mass.

Absolutely dirty drives. The impact of the reduced optimal mass is minimal. See this image that was posted earlier. With A-rated thrusters you lose maybe 3-4% when at 150% of your optimal mass. You won't even notice the effect of losing 5-15% optimal mass, and there's no realistic way to fit a Corvette to get under optimal for more gains anyway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

Unknown Artifacts. Sell enough of them on the black market and the station essentially goes on lockdown and you need to sell Meta-alloys there to 'fix it'.

The problem is the number of meta alloys you need is far far larger than number of UAs. Expect weeks before Ceos is fixed.

It's also far easier to get and transport meta-alloys than unknown artifacts. The reason UA bombed stations take so long to fix is because grinders are far more motivated than the brown sea, who only care about Sothis/Ceos as money dispensers and won't actually go out of their way to fix it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chomp8645 posted:

Is there anything to actually find/do on planets in the middle of no where or is it just a screenshot opportunity?

Materials, the odd bit of data, and a bunch of unquantifiable “exploration XP” that goes into your rank in ways, that are supposedly vaguely related to how far you drive and distant you are from the starting system.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

It's also far easier to get and transport meta-alloys than unknown artifacts. The reason UA bombed stations take so long to fix is because grinders are far more motivated than the brown sea, who only care about Sothis/Ceos as money dispensers and won't actually go out of their way to fix it.

Right I meant in terms of quantity rather than actual effort. Ceos being down isn't really that much of an inconvenience unless you were already running a cutter and needed both Ceos and Sothis stations to fully load up your 700T cargo bay - and if you have a cutter do you really care if Ceos is down? Nah make someone else fix it.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

What is with people trying to police how others play a video game? :allears:

Umm excuse me but I see you might be having fun but you're not playing the same way as me? You're going to have to cut that out asap and play the way I play. It's the only way to have fun dont you know?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

timn posted:

Absolutely dirty drives. The impact of the reduced optimal mass is minimal. See this image that was posted earlier. With A-rated thrusters you lose maybe 3-4% when at 150% of your optimal mass. You won't even notice the effect of losing 5-15% optimal mass, and there's no realistic way to fit a Corvette to get under optimal for more gains anyway.

Alright cool. I don't actually know anything about engines other than "bigger engine = better" so the engineer upgrades threw me for a loop.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Dear Nerds,

We at Frontier have heard your grave concerns involving the lack of realism in instantly transferring your starships between systems lightyears apart, and we absolutely agree. Our initial plans for a revamp, tentatively titled "A Wizard Did It" were also scrapped for various reasons when Bill looked up genre crossing over on TV Tropes and wouldn't shut up about it. But we've persevered, and are happy to announce our new, realistic system: Space Craigslist.

Using Space Craigslist, your pilot will sell their distant ship via FTL communication for a slight reduction in list value, then buy a different but identically outfitted ship in their current system at normal price. The fact that the difference between these two prices is exactly the same as the transfer fee was in our old system is purely a coincidence. We hope you'll all come to love Space Craigslist as much as we do!

Fly safe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

illectro posted:

Flying through the core in my 39ly range Asp and I'm reduced to one letting one jump at a time, this is painful. Help a bit if I set the load slider to pretend I have 100% cargo and lower jump range, but the game just grinds when I try to plot more than 100ly ahead.

That was pretty rough... even worse coming back because it was hard to tell when I could plot 1k lightyears again.

Jealous that you had a station to repair at near the core.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

timn posted:

Did I miss something with this "hideously expensive" talk? The one screenshot I saw was something like 600k to move a Beluga almost 200ly. 600k to take a ship that will probably cost up to a billion to A-fit and teleport it most of the way across the bubble. And all of the other examples on there were far less expensive IIRC.

It's highly unlikely you'll be earning millions of easy credits with passenger missions, although that raises the question of why anyone will be flying a space whale in the first place.

But once you get into a Diamondback Explorer or above, travel times all over the bubble are piddling. Ship transport seems mainly like a feature for :mitt: with forty ships they can't be arsed to find, but it's still kind of silly that they're bothering with a money sink that only the ultra-rich will bother with.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's highly unlikely you'll be earning millions of easy credits with passenger missions, although that raises the question of why anyone will be flying a space whale in the first place.

But once you get into a Diamondback Explorer or above, travel times all over the bubble are piddling. Ship transport seems mainly like a feature for :mitt: with forty ships they can't be arsed to find, but it's still kind of silly that they're bothering with a money sink that only the ultra-rich will bother with.

Immersion i guess.

Basically, at any point of the game, every ptch level, theres one kind of play that rewards insane credits and makes everything else pale in comparison.
Back then it was hazard site farming, then it was rubigo, now it looks like boom time delivery.
You can now either do the best play in terms of money/timeframe, or do stuff you like and get less cash.
If what you like happens to be the fotm cashmachine, you won.

Hunting and killing a space-preacher for 1.5millions looks good on paper, but in the same time i could do 3 BTD runs with 1.2millions each.
But i dont feel like trucking all the time, and im not in a killing mood all the time either, so maybe passenger missions will fill a niche for people who dont like either and want to take a break from the most efficient moneymakers and just play driver for a bit. I likely wont, but remember theres Forklift Simulator 2015 out there somewhere...

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm all in on space truckin' and don't object to the idea in theory, but it seems to be literally the same as cargo missions. VIPs can tell you that they're altering the deal and you need to go six systems away to watch the pirates shoot at your space bus. Cargo mission givers can decide you're landing at a station too far away to be worth your trouble. In both cases the correct response is to test the functionality of the airlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FronzelNeekburm posted:

although that raises the question of why anyone will be flying a space whale in the first place.
Because they're stylin?

Seriously though, the Orca is actually a bunch of fun to fly, it's just hugely impractical for actually doing anything.

• Locked thread