Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When you've sorta maybe avenged your mother's death once, isn't it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bacontotem posted:

This is probably the actual answer.

Everyone else lies about not having a bankai to keep their bankai in reserve. He just spams his bankai and says it's his shikai, and everyone's like 'poo poo what type of hax is his bankai then'

Either that or it's totally loving useless, like soifon's.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Everyone else lies about not having a bankai to keep their bankai in reserve. He just spams his bankai and says it's his shikai, and everyone's like 'poo poo what type of hax is his bankai then'

Either that or it's totally loving useless, like soifon's.

Agh, man, even when I liked bleach I thought soifon had a loving stupid Bankai. Like, ha ha the fast stealthy ninja has a big dumb bazooka Bankai and she hates it a lot, I get it, but come on you spend all this time harping about how the Zanpakuto is literally just "a Persona but a Sword" why would her Bankai ever be something she hates so much :argh:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 23, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No wait I have it.

His shikai is convincing others what he wants is true.

His bankai is convincing himself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Agh, man, even when I liked bleach I thought soifon had a loving stupid Bankai. Like, ha ha the fast stealthy ninja has a big dumb bazooka Bankai and she hates it a lot, I get it, but come on you spend all this time harping about how the Zanpakuto is literally just "a Persona but a Sword" why would her Bankai ever be something she hates so much :argh:

everyone including soi fon thinks her bankai is dumb as hell. i will give kubo credit about how it wasn't the perfect counter for skull king, though.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ywhach was Aizen's Bankai.

Everything was orchestrated by Aizen to help mankind understand the importance of Courage and thus evolve into a higher realm.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tunicate posted:

No wait I have it.

His shikai is convincing others what he wants is true.

His bankai is convincing himself.

are you saying he's Ocelot

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Soifon: Two Hit Kill -> One Hit Kill
Byakuya: Tons of Small Blade -> Fucktons of Small Blades
Urahara: ????? -> Restructuring Everything
Unohana: Giant Healing Manta Ray -> ???????????
Yamamoto: Hellfire -> Literal Hellfire with Flaming Undead
Renji: Bone Sword Whip -> Bigger Bone Sword Whip -> Hand Blade + Tail + Shoulder
Ikkaku: Three Section Staff -> Breakable Double Axe
Rukia: Limited Freeze All -> Wide Range Freeze All
Kenpachi: Big Axe -> Broken Big Axe + Beast Mode
Tousen: Sound Wave + Rain of Swords -> Sensory Deprivation
Komamaru: Big Sword Arm -> Big Sword Giant
Ichigo: Getsuga Tenshou -> Super Speed -> Become One with Sword
Ichigo (Quincy Arc): Double Getsuga -> Broken poo poo -> Actually Original Shikai
Hitsugaya: Ice Sword -> Ice Dragon
Gin: Long Sword -> Longer Sword + Poison
Mayuri: Poison Baby Face Dagger -> Poison Giant Baby + Modifications
Rose: Sound Whip -> Sound Illusions
Shunsui: Make Games Real -> Make Story Real
Monk: Black Ink Depower -> Black Ink Rewrite
Kensei: Wind Knife -> Transformable Double Wind Fists
Chojiro: ?????? -> Summon Lightning

Most shikais generally are linked to their bankais, though a few are weird or just unexplained.

I suppose you could say that Urahara's shikai lets him restructure his spirit energy into various things, like shields or attacks or mist or whatever, and his bankai is just him applying the restructuring to literally everything.
Renji's true bankai sorta looks like his sword spirit, so I guess there's that.
Tousen's sword originally belonged to the chick he loved, so maybe that's why it has these weird powers. The sound wave he used to knock out Uryu can be considered sorta similar to his bankai? His Hollow form also uses sound powers. Wiki says his shikai uses vibrations for both of his abilities, though I'm not sure if "vibrations leave afterimages of swords in the air that are then used to rain down on opponent' is a reasonable thing to assume.
Unohana's bankai is never explained but it's name is so loving cool. It's called Minazuki (皆尽, All Things' End). How loving cool is that.
Nobody knows what Chojiro's shikai is cause Ichigo took him down in one blow.
Ichigo's is just weird.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ichigo's theme is 'easy to use'. No gimmicks, just W+left mouse.

Becoming one with your sword is something anyone can do, according to the first bleach movie anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, Ichigo is the Pyro.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Speaking of Soi Fon

Her Shikai was succesfully used twice in the Bleach.

Once against the Tiger arrancar.

But first, on the Bount filler arc.

Which is just hilarious.

Everyone laughs at Komamura for showing up and get owned, but at least he showed up.

Soi Fon has waaaaay less screentime than Komamura, and a lot less victories.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Speaking of Soi Fon

Which is just hilarious.

Everyone laughs at Komamura for showing up and get owned, but at least he showed up.

Yeah but Soi Fon probably had hot gay hate fucks with Yoruichi, and that's more than most of us can say. :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lezard_valeth posted:

Speaking of Soi Fon

Which is just hilarious.

Soi Fon's Fights
- Lost to Yoruichi, who had the better Kido Fist skill
- Beat Tiger Arrancar with shikai
- Beat Barragan with Hachi's help (bankai failed to one-shot twice)
- Lost to Aizen (shikai failed to two-shot)
- Sword stolen by Robot Quincy
- Beat Robot Quincy (not using Quincy Power Up, revived soon after) in rematch
- Still alive

Komamura's Fights
- Unfinished fight against Kenpachi
- Curbstomped by Aizen
- Curbstomped Whale Arrancar with bankai
- Beat Tousen with Hisagi's help (bankai failed to one-shot)
- Lost to Aizen
- Sword stolen by Bambietta
- Curbstomped Bambietta (using Quincy Power Up, turned into a weak zombie after) in rematch
- Became a dog

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're actually incredibly similar, especially since both their bankais are meant to finish the opponent off in one blow.

Koma is more successful at that, albeit barely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought his bankai was mostly supposed to serve as a punching bag?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

JohnnyCocksville posted:

One piece sucks naruto blows and dbz is garbage long live bleach

bleach would have been better if ywach was beaten via a warp kamehameha from goku

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

i thought his bankai was mostly supposed to serve as a punching bag?

Koma's really interesting cause him taking damage via his bankai was a thing even before the You Can't Repair Bankais thing was a thing, and it makes you wonder why the two of them are so in tune with each other and what makes them so special.

It's sad that nothing came out of it and that all the bankai did was make him a bigger target.

It would have been nice if at least 4 reapers were immune to the bankai stealing powers, as opposed to only Ichigo (who wasn't using an actual bankai).

1. Yamamoto, due to his sheer strength (only YWACh could steal).
2. Komamura, due to his unusual bonds.
3. Mayuri, due to his habit of constantly modifying his bankai. Or, have the Quincy steal his bankai only to have it backfire, like it did with Syzael and Hand Quincy.
4. Kenpachi, due to his lack of a bankai until halfway through the arc.

Hell, also the Visoreds, who had Hollow Powers. They never had their bankais stolen but the Quincies never even tried. Visoreds never even used their masks either.

Shinji, Kensei, and Rose all got chumped.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hell, also the Visoreds, who had Hollow Powers. They never had their bankais stolen but the Quincies never even tried. Visoreds never even used their masks either.

I really think Kubo completely forgot they were Visored.

Like in the whole last arc they are not even mentioned by that name at all.

Mashiro didn't even get to participate in the "Last chance to show your power vs Thor" fight. Last we saw of her is that she became a Super Lieutenant. She is not even in the finale with Kensei and Hisagi!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vaizards having hollow powers but never using them against the guys who were supposedly weak to hollow powers was dumb as gently caress. it probably would have been better for all of their fights to happen off-panel.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The mask designs were really neat and made the wearer seem pretty imposing.

I dig masks.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I feel really bad for the Vizards, because at least Captains like Soi Fon and Komamura had their one episode per filler/30 seconds in movie to shine, whereas the Visored had no presence outside of Kubo's canon, in which they got to do nothing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Like even in the last filler, the big bad said "I cannot clone you, Kurosaki Ichigo, cause you are Hollow + Shinigami and you are oh so very special"

That would have been a perfect spot for the Visored to show up and do something

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The mask designs were really neat and made the wearer seem pretty imposing.

I dig masks.

The Vizards were genuinely cool characters and I liked the mask power up gimmick since it was a temporary boost that didn't last forever so it actually made Ichigo's fights a bit more interesting beyond "fire getsugas." Shame Kubo forgot about it entirely and the Vizards got relegated to existing to lose fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the vaizards didn't really have any role to play in the story. they showed up and all popped their masks at the same time during the fake karakura arc, but that was it. they didn't even have the decency to die after their cool spread page.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 23, 2016

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I liked the one who had a cool Kamen Rider looking mask. She was fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Good Listener posted:

I liked the one who had a cool Kamen Rider looking mask. She was fun.

Her achievements were failing to beat Wonderweiss and losing her mask despite holding the record for mask time because she didn't realize that wearing your mask and doing nothing took way less energy than wearing your mask and fighting.

Or something.

But she was hella fun yeah.

Mishiro? Mashiro?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mashiro would have been awesome if she wasn't merely one of the massive crowd of immortal good guys. she got sent up against the only arrancar who was important to that scene. think about it. the espada already had opponents, as did tousen. gin had another purpose in the story. she obviously wasn't gonna beat aizen. so, exactly what was mashiro or any of the non-hachi vaizards going to accomplish there? every other person present wanted to beat aizen but was incapable of doing so, so what was even the point of sending more in?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, i guess tousen was legitimately loyal to aizen. what a dumbass.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

oh right, i guess tousen was legitimately loyal to aizen. what a dumbass.

God that "AIZEN'S WAY IS THE WAY OF LEAST BLOODSHED" turned out to be such a dumb loving thing. I'm sure Kubo intended Aizen to actually have something interesting planned at the time he had Tousen say that, but of course that never materialized and Tousen just stuck out like a tumor, claiming moral high ground for standing with the guy who never showed any interest in any ideal at all beyond "...man I'm awesome. :smug:"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've said this before but the Tousen reveal was great and I wish there had been like, one chapter before his traitor status was revealed.

Like, Unohana hears about Aizen's shikai and immediately realizes that Tousen is a traitor, but I dunno if the reader would have come to a conclusion this quickly. Maybe give them a weak so that it dawns on them?

But either way the setup was neat.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Elfgames posted:

remember when the soul king was interested in ichigo for some reason.

I have no memory of this. I have no memory of the Soul King doing anything other than sitting suspended in his crystal.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think the whole Kenpachi bankai so strong he couldn't use a fraction of it without him loving himself up was right before he got the news that he had to wrap it up. It was obvious that he was planning of having him go full tilt eventually but WRAP IT UP

It was practically guaranteed that we were going to have another lineup of fights. I swear it was going to be Squad 0 vs the popular cast. Not showing off their bankais, having Ywach gain the ability to raise the dead, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

God that "AIZEN'S WAY IS THE WAY OF LEAST BLOODSHED" turned out to be such a dumb loving thing. I'm sure Kubo intended Aizen to actually have something interesting planned at the time he had Tousen say that, but of course that never materialized and Tousen just stuck out like a tumor, claiming moral high ground for standing with the guy who never showed any interest in any ideal at all beyond "...man I'm awesome. :smug:"

well, to be fair kubo didn't have the identity of the traitor planned from the start, and he did at least realize that if everything was because of illusions the blind guy would have to be in on it. so hey, a moment of competence for plotting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well I mean what were the results of Aizen's actions

* A lot of powerful hollows and some unjust bureaucrats died.
* Momo was stabbed a few times but got better.

Really he just made soul society stronger.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Mashiro's last scene was her claiming to be Super Lieutenant. She did not take part on the Quincy War, and did not appear for the finale. So guess Iba cooked both her AND Komamura.

Then as Zepia pointed out, Matsumoto's last scene (pre finale) was a foot stepping out of the healing pod while Hitsugaya made his way to fight Thor.
Soi Fon and Omaeda were recovering from their fight with BG-9
Hisagi was defeated offscreen against Flamingo guy
Momo got punched into the ground by Thor and I had to double check the last chapter to confirm that she was still alive.
Yumichika and Ikkakku were cheerleading Kenpachi in his fight with Thor
Hachi, Afro and the 2 Visored girls were jobbing to Thor

I do wonder if Shounen had gone with Kubo's pacing if he really would have had all of this characters keep charging headfirst against Thor in turns to showcase their new power ups.

That he had to create such a training dummy character in the first place, when he had 26 villains at the start of the arc really speaks volumes of how little ahead he planned everything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is why there should have been an arc focused entirely on the vaizard and ichigo's human friends before the aizen stuff picked back up and the arrancar showed up. shinji's intro was at least a lot better than fullbringer boss'

the vaizard had no time to do anything and they just ended up being useless (except for hachi). ichigo doesn't even use his mask anymore and it doesn't seem like he'd actually have needed it considering people he's beaten without it were holding their own against the arrancar anyway. what was the point of it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There were too many vizard.

Alternatively, they should have been mostly weakling shinigami with like one captain-class, instead of all being massive power-creep heavy hitters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only group that didn't have way too many people were ichigo's human friend group from before ss

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shinji had a cool shikai. It never did anything but I liked the idea of it a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If Bleach had a fourth as many characters as it actually did, the series would have had much better pacing.

• Locked thread