Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Tunicate posted:

Alternatively, they should have been mostly weakling shinigami with like one captain-class, instead of all being massive power-creep heavy hitters.

The ones that were formerly Captain had really broken abilities to boot.

Shinji could reverse directions
Rose could create sound based illusions
Kensei could break all your bones with one punch

Of course, in practice, 2 of those powers don't work that well when you explain them to your opponent, and the other power doesn't work all that well against people made up of ghost bones that can regenerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shinji had a cool shikai. It never did anything but I liked the idea of it a bunch.

What's everyone's favorite shikai or Hollow power or Quincy power anyways? By the end they got really repetitive and lovely but the earlier powers were pretty cool.

I'm partial to Byakuya's. It's just neat and I like the concept of a billion tiny blades cutting you up, and I'm a sucker for scenes where Byakuya attacks and nothing seems to happen and then suddenly a dude falls with like a million cuts.

It helps that all of Byakuya's abilities are natural extensions and applications of his ability, and that his bankai is just his shikai but bigger.

Barragan is good too. Literally killed by his own power cause nothing else could really hurt him too much.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What's everyone's favorite shikai or Hollow power or Quincy power anyways? By the end they got really repetitive and lovely but the earlier powers were pretty cool.

I'm partial to Byakuya's. It's just neat and I like the concept of a billion tiny blades cutting you up, and I'm a sucker for scenes where Byakuya attacks and nothing seems to happen and then suddenly a dude falls with like a million cuts.

It helps that all of Byakuya's abilities are natural extensions and applications of his ability, and that his bankai is just his shikai but bigger.

Barragan is good too. Literally killed by his own power cause nothing else could really hurt him too much.

Obviously Butterflizen is my spirit animal.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Monk and Shunsui's final attacks had some of the coolest presentations for Bleach but ultimately both their attacks did nothing more than to help Kubo fill pages. Which is a shame.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gin's sniper sword, Hisagi's hand helicopter scythes, and Soi Fon's two hit kill are probably my favorites.

I don't even remember what most of the quincies did, or the arrancar aside from pistol shrimp guy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked shunsui's shikai, that was cool

don't remember a lot of them tho and none of the hollow/quincy powers were that interesting really

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Shunsui's is still my favorite, both in terms of design and the idea behind the power. His bankai was cool too, shame it got no-selled because we had to have another character win with a perfect counter ability pulled out of their rear end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite how byakuya's bankai was supposed to be tiny blades that merely looked like petals, every time he used it it was effectively just sharp flower petals.

i was always partial to ikkaku's bankai. it started out looking cool and then looked even cooler as the fight went on. uh, too bad about the "bankais can't be repaired" thing, though.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I liked the vizard girl who's power was reading hentai.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Gin's sniper sword, Hisagi's hand helicopter scythes, and Soi Fon's two hit kill are probably my favorites.

I don't even remember what most of the quincies did, or the arrancar aside from pistol shrimp guy.

Balance Things
Explode Everything
Heat Finger
Iron Body
Jail Non-Qunicies
Love Slave
Make Miracles Come True
Overkill and Gain Experience Points
Power = Strength
Ask Questions
Roar Loudly
Call Thunder
UNDERBELLY
Become Yourself or Become Yourself
Zombie Creation

And then I gave up cause I didn't want to explain what Compulsory and Death Dealing did.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

Shunsui's is still my favorite, both in terms of design and the idea behind the power. His bankai was cool too, shame it got no-selled because we had to have another character win with a perfect counter ability pulled out of their rear end.

Yeah, it was one of the few times where I think Kubo drawing out a thing was cool, cause you get to see everyone react to him releasing it, and everyone's like, woah, this is dangerous.

And then it kills no one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kinda like yamamoto's bankai

looked cool, hyped up forever, does absolutely nothing of value

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

despite how byakuya's bankai was supposed to be tiny blades that merely looked like petals, every time he used it it was effectively just sharp flower petals.

i was always partial to ikkaku's bankai. it started out looking cool and then looked even cooler as the fight went on. uh, too bad about the "bankais can't be repaired" thing, though.

Wait, they're not supposed to be sharp flower petals?

gently caress. I never realized.

Ikkaku's bankai looks really cool, especially since Ikkaku's shirtless when he does it and it all looks so goddamn awesome. Visually, I agree that it's great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I dropped Bleach long before more quincies started showing up but before I called it quits I remember thinking Shunsui's ability to force people to play by his rules was cool.

I've never been a fan of Soi Fon's bee sting thing. I feel like an assassin could've come up with a way better power than that. I also laughed when her ultimate weapon turned out to be a nuke.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I dropped Bleach long before more quincies started showing up but before I called it quits I remember thinking Shunsui's ability to force people to play by his rules was cool.

I've never been a fan of Soi Fon's bee sting thing. I feel like an assassin could've come up with a way better power than that. I also laughed when her ultimate weapon turned out to be a nuke.

I get that it's a Two-Hit Kill -> One-Hit Kill thing but yeah everyone was making fun of it.

Doesn't really help that Soi Fon's other move is punching really loudly with visible energy powers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

yea shunsui's shikai was kinda like a nen ability in that it had a hard set of rules (per game at least) and it was dangerous for both sides

I really liked the idea of the game he played with stark, even if stark himself was lame as hell. the way it worked with dealing more damage depending on how much of your clothes/their clothes were of the color you call out and how the only way to deal maximum damage was to take a big risk

also soi fon's ability was lame since it only works on people weaker than her. what's the point?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I dropped bleach like right when ywatch killed the soul king, not because I didn't like the series, but because I lost my internet connection. Then I just read the last 3 chapters and figured that's probably good enough.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kubo really hates backgrounds, doesn't he. Really reminds me of that bit in Gekkan Shojou Nozaki where Nozaki's talking about all the tricks he pulled to not have to draw any backgrounds. Granted, it works sometimes, as in the case of Shunsui or the Monk's bankais.

But most of the time, eh.

I'm surprised that Kubo had YWACH plant future traps cause that seems outlandish for a man who hates drawing even the floor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wait, they're not supposed to be sharp flower petals?

gently caress. I never realized.

Ikkaku's bankai looks really cool, especially since Ikkaku's shirtless when he does it and it all looks so goddamn awesome. Visually, I agree that it's great.

nah, they are supposed to be countless blades, too small to be seen. they look like flower petals because they refract the light. that doesn't really make sense, but it sure sounds cool.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bad Seafood posted:

Soi Fon's sword was kind of a fail all around. Her shikai was death in two blows, except not really because things survived it all the time. Meanwhile her bankai was supposed to be death in one blow (via nuke) except even when it was finally revealed that didn't work either, and even after two shots the fat vizard mage guy had to step in and get the kill.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
hosed up world when a Two-Hit Kill is more successful than a One-Hit Kill.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea shunsui's shikai was kinda like a nen ability in that it had a hard set of rules (per game at least) and it was dangerous for both sides

I really liked the idea of the game he played with stark, even if stark himself was lame as hell. the way it worked with dealing more damage depending on how much of your clothes/their clothes were of the color you call out and how the only way to deal maximum damage was to take a big risk
Yeah, that's basically why I liked it. Probably just the Jojo/Hunter fan in me, but powers that have rules are way more interesting to me than just the ability to control fire or whatever, so the ability to just make up rules on the spot that everybody (including the user) has to follow or die was pretty sweet.

In before the obligatory "Of course the mod likes the guy whose power is making other people follow his rules."

Manatee Cannon posted:

also soi fon's ability was lame since it only works on people weaker than her. what's the point?
I think a good protip for any superpowered assassins out there would be to have a move that kills people in one hit as opposed to requiring two - in the exact same spot, no less. It's hilariously impractical for someone who's supposed to be a quick and silent killer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in theory the ability to ensure that a ghost dies 100% sounds really useful. they can normally survive just about anything, you know? but unfortunately, soi fon wasn't allowed to kill anyone because that would thin out the enormous cast of characters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Isn't the joke that it's a stinger missile?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is probably an incomprehensible japanese pun that doesn't translate well

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, that's basically why I liked it. Probably just the Jojo/Hunter fan in me, but powers that have rules are way more interesting to me than just "I control fire" or what have you, so the ability to just make up rules on the spot that everybody (including the user) has to follow or die was pretty sweet.

In before the obligatory "Of course the mod likes the guy whose power is making other people follow his rules."
I think a good protip for any superpowered assassins out there would be to have a move that kills people in one hit as opposed to requiring two - in the exact same spot, no less. It's hilariously impractical for someone who's supposed to be a quick and silent killer.

Not really the exact same spot, I think? As long as the second stab connects with the first.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

soi fon has the sword equivalent of chiaotzu detonating himself on nappa's back

"my power is to kill you (unless you're stronger than me, in which case my power is to lose the fight)"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

soi fon has the sword equivalent of chiaotzu detonating himself on nappa's back

"my power is to kill you (unless you're stronger than me, in which case my power is to lose the fight)"

Tbf apparently that's the way all powers in Bleach work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not really the exact same spot, I think? As long as the second stab connects with the first.

Huh. That's a little better, though not by much.

I still think she'd have been better served by an ability that maybe required a bit of setup but was basically a one-hit kill if it connected. In my own mind at least, an assassin isn't somebody who holds out for prolonged fights. You wanna get in there and get out ASAP, quick and clean. Dancing around your opponent, putting on a show, is for professional wrestlers.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 23, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's more obvious and lame for soi fon tho because of the way her shikai works

"I have to hit you twice in the same spot. if you're better than me tho, I can't do that and I've given up all the range of my sword for some lame little half gauntlet. and if you're stronger than me, it doesn't matter what I do because I can't hurt you in the first place"

she can only use it if she was gonna win the fight if she didn't use it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Huh. That's a little better, though not by much.

I still think she'd have been better served by an ability that maybe required a bit of setup but was basically a one-hit kill if it connected. In my own mind at least, an assassin isn't somebody who holds out for prolonged fights. You wanna get in there and get out ASAP, quick and clean. Dancing around your opponent, putting on a show, is for professional wrestlers.

I mean, in the hands of a good author, it could have worked as a mindgame attack.

If you're hit once, then you have to be careful not to be hit by the same attack again.

So in a way, it's like a One-Hit Kill with preparation, the preparation being a hit.

It's just logical.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

See, in a vacuum, that explanation makes a lot more sense - stab a dude in the chest, now he's gotta be wary of you attacking from the front, so he puts up his guard, except now his back is his vulnerable, and there's a finite limit to how many hits he can "Tank" before everything becomes a target - but I still feel like if you're an assassin who's actually good at their job, the actual part of your attack that involves a physical confrontation with your opponent should be over extremely quickly.

It's not an ability suited to her character or profession, though I agree a better writer might've made it work for the above reasons.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's two blows to the same spot because that way you can milk drama out of it.

Drama is pretty much everything to Kubo, don't think about it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're an assassin one stab should be enough to kill a dude anyways.

Unless it's a diagonal stab.

I don't think those exist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

See, in a vacuum, that explanation makes a lot more sense - stab a dude in the chest, now he's gotta be wary of you attacking from the front, so he puts up his guard, except now his back is his vulnerable, and there's a finite limit to how many hits he can "Tank" before everything becomes a target - but I still feel like if you're an assassin who's actually good at their job, the actual part of your attack that involves a physical confrontation with your opponent should be over extremely quickly.

It's not an ability suited to her character or profession, though I agree a better writer might've made it work for the above reasons.

It kinda reminds me of Hisoka's thing with his gum, though obviously Hisoka has way more methods of applying his bungee gum.

Also because HxH combat is way more strategic than diagonal slash -> null damage -> recover damage -> final attack.

Also hosed up that only the bad guys have regeneration, Ichigo's hollow form aside.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean, in the hands of a good author, it could have worked as a mindgame attack.

If you're hit once, then you have to be careful not to be hit by the same attack again.

That's kind of how her fight with Yoruichi was until Yoruichi showed why she's still her boss.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's more obvious and lame for soi fon tho because of the way her shikai works

"I have to hit you twice in the same spot. if you're better than me tho, I can't do that and I've given up all the range of my sword for some lame little half gauntlet. and if you're stronger than me, it doesn't matter what I do because I can't hurt you in the first place"

she can only use it if she was gonna win the fight if she didn't use it

I mean i think they have to be like magnitudes stronger than her, but 1hit kill powers almost never work in anime on something that isn't trash

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Soi Fon's bee sting would've been better suited to Kenpachi, honestly.

I know his whole deal is RAW STRENGTH but deliberately playing around with your opponent seems more his style.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

That's kind of how her fight with Yoruichi was until Yoruichi showed why she's still her boss.

Oh yeah, Yoruichi actually has like 3 marks on her by the time she decides to end the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
during their fight, soi fon's ability gave yoruichi lots of visually striking tattoos with just enough danger to make her a believable threat. but then after that fight soi fon was still hanging around, completely pointless. she wasn't developed in any way, but kubo still had to explain why her dumb power that was only ever meant to provide a cool visual accompanied by a dramatic speech in one scene couldn't just solve everything.

• Locked thread