Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

All we can do is wait for the Great Nerf Patch. Should be in a weekish time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Yeah we did 3 matches in casual today and lost every single one. What are newbies tips for guns and character stuff?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Put ACOGs on everything that takes them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sure, if you want to be outed as a scrub.

vvv They should really just go back to the old style, total revert of the Pulse buff.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 21, 2016

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

The main issue is since his gadget now shows real time position he can jump out a window with his crosshair already on your face instead of having to aim at you like he did before which at least gave you a chance to fight back.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jehde posted:

vvv They should really just go back to the old style, total revert of the Pulse buff.

Pulse died on the way back to his home planet.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

Yeah we did 3 matches in casual today and lost every single one. What are newbies tips for guns and character stuff?
Uhh, while being a newbie myself a week into this game, here's what I've kinda learned about guns and guys so far I guess??:
Best newbie defenders in my opinion are Rook (just drops extra armor for everyone), Valkyrie maybe (throws sticky cameras around) though she might need some map learnin', and I guess Mute (stops electronics with his deployable gadgets, put them around reinforced walls to stop breaching). For assault maybe Sledge (hammers through non-reinforced walls and has grenades), Thermite (can blow up reinforced walls) and probably Fuze (deploys a gadget that shoots grenades thru walls, good for clearing out enemy gadgets and an occasional lucky kill or drawing enemy attention). All of those have guns I like a lot, assault dudes have good assault rifles and the defenders some nice shotties. Also newbies should probably use characters with an armor rating of 2 or more, at least to me the 1 armor ones feel way too fragile and I just die alot :shrug:

All I wrote can freely be corrected by someone cooler and better than me. That's just what I've kinda picked up on the basics.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smuh posted:

Uhh, while being a newbie myself a week into this game, here's what I've kinda learned about guns and guys so far I guess??:
Best newbie defenders in my opinion are Rook (just drops extra armor for everyone), Valkyrie maybe (throws sticky cameras around) though she might need some map learnin', and I guess Mute (stops electronics with his deployable gadgets, put them around reinforced walls to stop breaching). For assault maybe Sledge (hammers through non-reinforced walls and has grenades), Thermite (can blow up reinforced walls) and probably Fuze (deploys a gadget that shoots grenades thru walls, good for clearing out enemy gadgets and an occasional lucky kill or drawing enemy attention). All of those have guns I like a lot, assault dudes have good assault rifles and the defenders some nice shotties. Also newbies should probably use characters with an armor rating of 2 or more, at least to me the 1 armor ones feel way too fragile and I just die alot :shrug:

All I wrote can freely be corrected by someone cooler and better than me. That's just what I've kinda picked up on the basics.

Wrong. The best newbie operators are Castle and Blackbeard. Pick them always, don't let anyone make you pick anything else.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Oh yeah, my mistake. Tachanka is also the newbie pick to become pro quick right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While many operators are flavor of the month type of thing, you've got it it right, I'd say. Not going to write an essay with imminent major balance changes, so long story short for Operators 101 to add to your post is Bandit on defense and Thatcher on attack (from the affordable operators).

Thatcher's EMP grenades can disable electronics through walls, jammers and electricity including, which is why he's essential for fellow Termite's success. Bandit, on the flipside, can put electricity up to a reinforced wall roughly twice as quick as it takes for Termite to blow one up, hence if you keep a generator or two handy, when their Thatcher blows up your jammers, you can plug electricity to the wall being breached, destroying the charge and denying them entry. Bandit also has a fairly decent gun, just slam ACOG scope on it.

Playing Thatcher, keep in mind that if you throw an EMP grenade inside something, Jager's anti-grenade gadget will shoot EMP grenade down, so best throw it as outside as possible, just next to the wall. Playing Bandit, try to figure out which walls the enemy team will try to breach, and shoot them up a bit before reinforcing them - it will be much easier to hear Termite planting a charge, if you've done so.

Rook/Valkyrie/Mute/Bandit and Pulse/Caveira is a very solid combination on defense, as of now. Sure you can argue about snorting lines of dried Mountain Dew and picking Jager + Recruit, but c'mon.

As Fuse primarily player (:v:) I have to say that shield on him is worthless, AK takes some time to learn to shoot decently well. Also, the grenade gadget is not equally useful on all maps. For my playstyle, it's roughly this:

Nice: Kafe Dostoyevsky, Kanal, Plane, Hereford Base
Questionable: Bank, Chalet, House, Clubhouse, Consulate, Favela
Meh: Yacht, Border, Oregon

Either way, on offense it always is very good to have Termite and Thatcher, no matter the map. On Plane map Glaz is very good. Ash is very solid offensive pick too, so can be Sledge (though to a lesser extent). You can grab IQ if their team has a Pulse running rampant.

Oh, and no matter the side, all DLC operators are very strong. Nonetheless, however, there's not really a substitute for advantages of Termite+Thatcher on offense and Rook+Valkyrie+Mute/Bandit on defense.

tl;dr Every operator can give you fun, even as operators as weak as Tachanka. If you can't figure out what to have fun with, take Termite/Thatcher or Rook/Valkyrie/Mute/Bandit.

Squeegy posted:

Wrong. The best newbie operators are Castle and Blackbeard. Pick them always, don't let anyone make you pick anything else.
In case you still want to pick a Castle but someone has already taken it, or you happen to be an attacker this round, you can always just put a foot in your mouth. :v: Don't get me wrong, take him if it's your thing, but his advantages are rather situational.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 22, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
When you play Thatcher you'll need to get pretty good at making sure your grenades don't fall off whatever you want EMP'd; on some maps it's best to zipline up and aim for the window sill so that it just stays there and doesn't fall off. Favelas especially.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smuh posted:

Oh yeah, my mistake. Tachanka is also the newbie pick to become pro quick right?

Yes, but you have to make sure to put him in the open where you can see multiple entrances and swivel rapidly between them.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Squeegy posted:

Yes, but you have to make sure to put him in the open where you can see multiple entrances and swivel rapidly between them.
Just like his unlock video! Where he spins around an empty room and then poses coolly. Man, Tachanka is such a badass.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smuh posted:

Just like his unlock video! Where he spins around an empty room and then poses coolly. Man, Tachanka is such a badass.

All of the operators' intro videos are pretty accurate depictions of how they should be used. For instance, make sure to blast music while you play Blitz, flash people, and immediately drop your shield to shoot at them.

What about operators that don't have intro videos, like Buck, I hear you ask? Well, it's the same answer. Don't.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

So as Sledge I'm supposed to hit a single wall like 5 times while getting bored? Got it!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smuh posted:

So as Sledge I'm supposed to hit a single wall like 5 times while getting bored? Got it!

Aye, you may have to find a long wall to make sure you can hit it all 5, but your team will thank you for the time you spend searching.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

And IQ is supposed to see a bomb but walk into it anyway.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So uh. Why is there so much team killing in casual? Does it get better once I hit ranked? Will matches be more even after a few ranked matches?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

And IQ is supposed to see a bomb but walk into it anyway.

How do i make my cluster charges work backwards in real time while playing as Fuze? I can shoot them out in to the hostage room but then nothing happens.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

smuh posted:

Walk up to the wall and aim at your toes, that will make full size hole in one hit.

Moochewmoo posted:

So uh. Why is there so much team killing in casual? Does it get better once I hit ranked? Will matches be more even after a few ranked matches?
There's plenty of team killing in ranked as well, especially if you meddle with the next up and coming professional Siege play who is totally not making a dumb hole in the wall that is going to kill you all 20 seconds later.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 22, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Got one of my buddys into this last night, won 5 out of 7 games. He thinks he did awful the entire time because he's not killing anyone but he's doing a real good job of distracting shields while I go stab them in the back.

He also now has more operators than me with like 5 hours played, while i have 31 hours or so. He paid the same price for the game as I did for the starter edition.

gently caress my life

E: Also the best operator for newbies is clearly Kapkan. Put down your reinforcements/door traps. When someone walks into one type "TACTICOOL" in all chat. Bathe in the praise you will get from both teams when you go 1/5/0

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 22, 2016

Twazuk
Oct 3, 2010
Well here's a glitch I've never seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPTelJNkrg

Also, played against some guys on Chalet who just straight up shot Thermites charges off the snowmobile garage door from inside. We were unable to do it back though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can someone link the discord? last time it got brought up someone just said it was in the pgs thread that i couldn't find, so...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone in my group read that the balance patch has been quietly shifted back an unknown amount of time. Was there a big big that appeared or something?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

can someone link the discord? last time it got brought up someone just said it was in the pgs thread that i couldn't find, so...

Join #pcgaming on synirc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone in my group read that the balance patch has been quietly shifted back an unknown amount of time. Was there a big big that appeared or something?
No much is known, I think, their community managers don't communicate well, or often, except for the guy that shitposts on Siege subreddit. Maybe they finally played with ~1/3 nerf to point blank automatic shotgun damage and that broke all the new defense operators. Maybe they can't do something on technical level, Ubisoft games are known for being steaming piles of poo poo. Maybe Pulse nerf to 9 metres, together with quickscoping fix, is not working. Maybe they are rethinking how C4 works, especially given the apparently recent discussion to give C4 to attackers and frag grenades to defenders, or to disallow players to throw C4. Maybe they are lumping automatic shotgun and Pulse nerf together with revamp of two vanilla operators, and something has gone wrong there.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Twazuk posted:

Also, played against some guys on Chalet who just straight up shot Thermites charges off the snowmobile garage door from inside. We were unable to do it back though.

Yeah, that's the new thing apparently. People use it all the time on the trap door on Oregon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, that's the new thing apparently. People use it all the time on the trap door on Oregon.
I haven't been able to replicate it on a vertical surface (e.g. wall, door), insofar, but you can shoot off Thermite charges from any reinforced floor/ceiling trapdoor with any firearm. Single shot is enough to destroy it.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
dat scale

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is that American flag the wrong way?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
That was explained a few pages back.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

kalstrams posted:

Is that American flag the wrong way?

the military does it that way because the stars must always lead forward

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Razzled posted:

the military does it that way because the stars must always lead forward
I see. Cheers!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Last night was a pile of steaming poo poo for me. If I even made it through a game without it booting us back to the main menu (hard fix your game!) it was going up against one guy in every game who'd carry his entire team off his back. Felt like before battleeye.

Goddamn i hate/love this game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

Goddamn i hate/love this game.
This is so frighteningly accurate. Reminds me a lot of the time when I frequently played Planetside 2, easily the "best" coded FPS game in history. Some of the bugs were outright amazing - like the the time a patch did break gravity, and bullet drop was working the other way around.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The operator bios, so irrelevant that not even Ubisoft's QA reads them. :v:

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Three days later, still no response from support. Thanks Ubi! 48 hours my rear end!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

kalstrams posted:

This is so frighteningly accurate. Reminds me a lot of the time when I frequently played Planetside 2, easily the "best" coded FPS game in history. Some of the bugs were outright amazing - like the the time a patch did break gravity, and bullet drop was working the other way around.

Honestly, i think if they nerf shotguns a little bit (a lot of my deaths last night were due to people "sniping" with auto shotties at silly ranges) and if I get a little better i'll have a whole lot more fun. I can't compete with the twitchy fucks that play this right now.

Last night I smashed a hole in a window and got instantly headshotted. The dude heard the board break (understandable), turned around 180 and headshotted me before i could aim in (less fun). It's ridiculous. Go play ranked, guy!

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 23, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm mostly annoyed with mountains of technical problems, and some of the current design decisions. As far as playing in itself goes, I dislike that some operators have to be taken obligatory, and some are nearly useless, regardless of the situation. Also, something should be done about automatic shotguns indeed, and C4. The peeking meta takes word "Siege" to a whole new level of mockery either, but I doubt anything meaningful can be done in that regard.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The peeking meta would be helped if alternately you could see out and in on daytime maps. As a defender being forced to play the interior because you literally can't see out windows is utter hell half the time.

• Locked thread