Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Boon posted:

People lose their security clearances for financial issues because the financial stress makes them vulnerable to be leveraged.

Yes, that is why his debt is a non-starter. Absent any debt, his tragic stupidity may not ever be a security issue. Some people are savants when it comes to their jobs but can't effectively manage a single aspect of their personal lives. Holding that much debt however, and being so dumb that he will almost certainly end up in that much debt later on, makes him a security risk since he's vulnerable to financial pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Considering the one and only Kickstarter I ever bought in to, the guy ran away with all the cash and gently caress-all could be done about it (KS refused to step in and a participant even went to the attorney general of the state the guy lived in and they declined to prosecute), I would say they are pretty GWM if you're the one collecting the dough. If it doesn't work out just defraud everyone!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Sirotan posted:

Considering the one and only Kickstarter I ever bought in to, the guy ran away with all the cash and gently caress-all could be done about it (KS refused to step in and a participant even went to the attorney general of the state the guy lived in and they declined to prosecute), I would say they are pretty GWM if you're the one collecting the dough. If it doesn't work out just defraud everyone!

Brb, coming up with a half baked idea.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Kickstarter is a marketing vehicle.

Also, glad your relative understands how manufacturing and shipping work because the naive gently caress themselves and their backers on that point all the time. LoL people just assuming you can just go to China and wave a magic wand to get items made at scale and on a boat on schedule.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

My cousin's husband just started a kickstarter for his company's 3rd product. (they work in baby products, the first two are sold at major retailers and are in the top 100 at Amazon) They live in a house with a car elevator that lifts a bunch of late model Audis. I'm assuming this is BWM cause if you're living this loving rich and need crowdfunding you're either doing something wrong and are hard up for capital or you just seriously don't give a gently caress about offloading risk via crowdfunding.

I doubt they need the crowdfunding, offloading risk via crowdfunding is GWM on the getting paid side of the equation. It's not like you're giving away equity in the company. It's basically like presales on video games. Now whether or not they have the money to be installing car elevators for their aging fleet of german luxury vehicles is a different question entirely. They might be living like lottery winners when their luck runs out. If they're buying everything cash at least they aren't leveraged but who am I kidding?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Car elevators are like $2,000... Unless you mean a subterranean thing that stores your car in the earth? Those are like $25k to $55k depending on just how ritzy you go.

Pretty BWM I guess, but old audi plus $25k is still less than a lot of people spend on their BWM Mobiles

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He said a bunch of late model Audis meaning multiple newer Audis. Not one old one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

He said a bunch of late model Audis meaning multiple newer Audis. Not one old one.

This thread Does Hyperbole in a big way, so I'm going to assume it's no more than 3.

My dad did this to his garage (picture not his) for $6k

And it meets his description. But I guess it could just as easily be a custom built car spire that he dropped $250 grand on and that's why he needs to Kickstart his business.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean why the hell wouldn't you build a giant subterranean bond villain lair if you were rich enough to do so :colbert:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
It's a car spire and it's all his stepdad's money.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
E: thread moved on, sorry.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I'd think that using Other Peoples (unsecured) Money to launch a product as opposed to your own is very GWM.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

sparkmaster posted:

I'd think that using Other Peoples (unsecured) Money to launch a product as opposed to your own is very GWM.

Beat me to it

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean why the hell wouldn't you build a giant subterranean bond villain lair if you were rich enough to do so :colbert:

I've often wondered why people don't actually do something with their fortunes. Some do, but some seem to lack any inspiration.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Devian666 posted:

I've often wondered why people don't actually do something with their fortunes. Some do, but some seem to lack any inspiration.

I mean a lot of them do but what they do with it is by boring things like mega-yachts and mansions with 30 more rooms than they'll ever actually use, not cool things like volcano lairs or, idk, party zeppelins?

The closest thing I know of to an actual underground lair is this rich guy's fallout shelter meant to look like a house that seems like it would make a great twilight zone hell reality:

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3017052/futurist-forum/you-can-buy-this-underground-las-vegas-bomb-shelter-shaped-like-a-house-with-

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Devian666 posted:

I suspect they do all kinds of cool poo poo but don't tell the public about it. What good is a Bond Villain Lair if everyone knows where it is?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

Applicant argues that the Judge's analysis was flawed when he concluded Applicant forced his creditors through the bankruptcy process to accept far less than what they are owed. The Judge may properly consider that, even if the current Chapter 13 bankruptcy plan is successfully carried out, Applicant will have avoided paying the creditors much of his debt. Adverse decision affirmed.

Interesting. Negotiating down debt ends up being BWM as their security clearance is denied, presumably affecting their employability.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Switchback posted:

Interesting. Negotiating down debt ends up being BWM as their security clearance is denied, presumably affecting their employability.

What's even worse is that guy had a military pension too. So 1/2 his E-6 salary for life, and cheap health care.

Though I kinda feel a bit sorry for the guy. Sounds like his wife had a lot of medical issues, and debt from a previous marriage too.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-3745598/Pensioners-trapped-homes-shared-appreciation-mortgages.html

BWM: buying a house with an exotic mortgage, not planning ahead for the inevitable repayment when you sell.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-3745598/Pensioners-trapped-homes-shared-appreciation-mortgages.html

BWM: buying a house with an exotic mortgage, not planning ahead for the inevitable repayment when you sell.

Shared Appreciation Mortgages? That might be the most predatory mortgage product I've ever heard of.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jesus. How the hell was that ever legal?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Apparently it still is legal in the USA, at least. After seeing that article, I went and looked up more info about SAMs, and there's a (tamer) version of it for low to middle-income people in San Francisco County that still exists. Whatever percentage of your loan they provide for downpayment, they will claim that % of your appreciation plus initial principal.

http://sfmohcd.org/downpayment-assistance-loan-program-dalp

This is in addition to your real mortgage (this is a secondary). You owe interest and principal on your full-term mortgage, and when that's done, you owe a huge chunk at year 30 or whenever you sell.

quote:

The term of the DALP is 30 years. The DALP is a no interest, no monthly payment, deferred loan due upon sale, rent, or title transfer of the property. The principal balance amount plus a share of the appreciation should become due at the end of term or when the borrower sells, rents or transfers title on the property. The appreciation is calculated by subtracting the original sales price from the current sales price or the current appraised market value. The share of appreciation is computed as a ratio of the City loan amount to the purchase price, that is, if the loan amount equals 31% of the purchase price, the share appreciation is 31%. If the borrower receives the DALP loan in the amount of $375,000 with the purchase price of $1,200,000, the share appreciation would be 31%:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 22, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Shared Appreciation Mortgages? That might be the most predatory mortgage product I've ever heard of.
It did always strike me as a little weird that they weren't this way from the start - why should the lender not get a share of the property they invest in but the fixed interest rate? It is really predatory if it keeps appreciating when the mortgage is paid off, but if it just gives the bank the appreciation of whatever percentage of the equity they owned during each period of appreciation, it doesn't seem too crazy to me as an alternative to interest. I'm surprised mortgages weren't structured that way to begin with. You own 20% of your house, you get 20% of the appreciation doesn't seem ridiculously unfair or anything to me.

I'm sure it happens with family members relatively frequently. A parent chips in 50%, you co-own the house but one of you lives there. If you sell it, you give 50% of the value to the parent because it's part theirs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It did always strike me as a little weird that they weren't this way from the start - why should the lender not get a share of the property they invest in but the fixed interest rate? It is really predatory if it keeps appreciating when the mortgage is paid off, but if it just gives the bank the appreciation of whatever percentage of the equity they owned during each period of appreciation, it doesn't seem too crazy to me as an alternative to interest. I'm surprised mortgages weren't structured that way to begin with. You own 20% of your house, you get 20% of the appreciation doesn't seem ridiculously unfair or anything to me.

I'm sure it happens with family members relatively frequently. A parent chips in 50%, you co-own the house but one of you lives there. If you sell it, you give 50% of the value to the parent because it's part theirs.

As an alternative to interest, maybe. But then the lender has an even greater risk of losing money if the property depreciates; investment means you get a percentage. 50% of 0 is still 0. Lenders are not going to take on that kind of risk when they have much less in the form of a standard mortgage; to allow them to retain equity in the case of appreciation while the owner takes the only loss for depreciation is worse than bundling junk mortgages as AAA securities.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

NancyPants posted:

As an alternative to interest, maybe. But then the lender has an even greater risk of losing money if the property depreciates; investment means you get a percentage. 50% of 0 is still 0. Lenders are not going to take on that kind of risk when they have much less in the form of a standard mortgage; to allow them to retain equity in the case of appreciation while the owner takes the only loss for depreciation is worse than bundling junk mortgages as AAA securities.
Landlords take that risk all the time though - they don't live in their home, they eat the risk of depreciation and keep the reward of appreciation. Their tenants don't necessarily have the same care that someone who felt ownership of the property would. It's not crazy to me that a financial institution might predict future property values in a location and bet on them in such a way. Usually it's not ever going to be worth nothing. (Okay if you finance a condo and the building collapses you're hosed... insurance.) They still are eating some risk in the fixed-rate case - if property becomes underwater and the owner declares bankruptcy, all they keep is the house which may well have depreciated/been gutted. They could make the property owner liable for insuring the property in some fashion.

I can't say I've thought this all the way through but it doesn't fail a smell test for me.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
For one thing taking a broad historical view of residential financing the interest rate on mortgages has been way higher than the long term appreciation in housing, so underwriting cash flowing conventional term mortgages with only default risk and no speculative risk written into the product has virtually always been a better proposition than some kind of joint appreciation investment.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
This is pretty meta-MLM:

http://onlinesalesproreview.com/online-sales-pro-compensation-plan/

More thank half the cost of the "product" is paying your upstream affiliate.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

This would probably black out a BWM bingo card. The thread title doesn't even begin to do justice to the miscarriage of a situation he is in, and it's called 'I (20M) am taking over my fathers failing business while also taking on my family's tremendous debt". Let that sink in. Not gonna copy/paste the whole thing because :wtc: but highlights of that common sense dumpster fire include:

-Crippling mental issues that preclude employment
--Wants take over dad's business anyways, currently works for free
-Dad's "business" is drop-shipping IPTV things in an already saturated market
--Except instead of dropshipping, dad buys inventory (plus office space and a website he's getting milked on)
---It's okay though because it's only like 100k worth of debt and is "a good investment" because they have webcams or some poo poo on them
----Except that 100k is for the business only and doesn't include the :siren: quarter mil of unsecured cash advances from credit cards largely taken out in the name of his wife that he wants to divorce so he can gently caress other women :siren:
-:sever: is not an option because ???!!! :frogsiren::smithicide::iiam:

This is some loving wonderhanger of the century level poo poo going on here holy gently caress that loving fucker is loving hosed. gently caress, man...just....gently caress :stonklol:

e.

quote:

My dad is a lot smarter then I've given him credit for

e2: gently caress, closed the tab down before I could recover it, let me see if I can find the cache

e3: welp, there you go :v:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 23, 2016

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I wish you had copied it here because it looks like what he originally wrote was deleted.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ohgodwhat posted:

I wish you had copied it here because it looks like what he originally wrote was deleted.

Google has a cache! :eng101:

http://archive.is/AH7WU

quote:

Throw away of course.

Hey, I'm not even sure if this is the right page but hey I'm so lost I just need some guidance. Firstly I'll start by saving I've got pretty bad mental illness issues, in fact I am in the process of applying for benefits because it's almost impossible for me to work due to anxiety, paranoia, etc. and on top of that I live in my families house(they currently live in a different state so I do my best to maintain the house). A little more than a year ago my father created one of those IPTV devices(if you don't know what they are they allow you to stream content from all over the world, here in the US they are in a legal grey area but completely sellable so hey that's a thing) and in developing such product he lost a majority of the finances he had prior. He was making $30k a month just selling them for a different company so he figured he could make bank doing his own thing considering they fired him because he basically made them all their money and clients in major states for their business and they didn't want him to be the only one with influence.

Anyway during this time he would save his money in weird places, he started getting greedier and a little crazy but hey, whatever, that's not what we're here about. We got a house a few years before he was fired and I'm 100% sure he could've paid off the house and renovated it completely before he got fired but that's just me. So unfortunately the house is not in a good shape by any means, in fact parts of the house weren't even up to code when we bought it and the inspector said nothing, which leaves us with a house that has only about a 1/4 of its mortgage paid off in 5 years and if we wanted to sell it we'd have to put in at least $50k for renovations. (Thankfully, however, the value in the area jumped up after we bought it) This is where the debt starts.

The house currently has ~$170k left to pay off and my dad decides he wants to make his own IPTV device. He presents the number to us(my mom, older brother, and I) and it seems pretty doable at first. Unfortunately we didn't take part in my dads business so in trying to develop the product he spent half of what he had in his "savings", almost $40k. That is because he was foolish enough to believe every Jake and Jill with an email address(he's almost fell for several Nigerian Prince scams, and that's recently). The rest of his money went to actually developing and paying part of his first shipment. So here we are, $5k in debt to our manufacturer. At this time my mother had finally finished off pay her student loans so her credit was near perfect. My father convinced her to take out a business loan for him so her could order more stock. He fudged the numbers so it looked like our return would be triple what she put in. So she did. That was a ~$70k loan. On top of that my mother had recently gotten approved for two credit cards with ~50k credit in total. She had used a little but since she had worked full time she could pay most of everything she bought and had all her finances mapped out for YEARS. My father unfortunately also had the ability to use these cards and took out tons of cash advances and basically filled up every card. My father at this point determined he needed a website to be more marketable(congratulations, he graduated business 101 -_-) so he goes to some random guy that one of his retailers knows (also it should be noted my dad TALKS like he just spews garbage from his mouth pretending to be a big shot so people ALWAYS take advantage of him) and the guy says to give him $750 to start and our GoDaddy login information(big nope but hey) and my dad does. Also at this time a friend and I were developing a site for my dad for the same price and a reasonable maintenance fee for my friend. They guy tries getting my dad to give him $8k for a lovely website that I could've made with my eyes closed, plus he only showed the home page it wasn't even done at this point. My dad refuses and the guy steals our domains because my father is and idiot and gave him our login info. It took about a month to get the domain back and I ended finding someone who made a good website for cheap(my friend didn't want to work with my dad because my dad had not paid him for any of the work we had done). Prior to this my dad is the kind of guy the loves to show off, as I mentioned earlier, so he throws lavish parties at his ridiculously expensive rental, my brother and mom moved there with him so that my younger brother could finish his schooling in a better state, my older brother could start a Marijuana farm in hopes of getting added income, and so my mother could help monitor and limit the amount of spending my father did. When my mother moved she was able to get a job at the same company, but now works part time instead of full time so she can help manage the business better.

So here we are 3 months after that whole fiasco, on top of the prior debt my dad decided it would be a good idea to get two new cars(the first one was because my car but destroyed in a hit and run on the highway and they wanted to get me something, can't say I'm truly mad about this but I knew it wasn't the right this to do at the time) my dad has gotten even more stock, and of a more expensive device(it's only slightly more expensive but it also comes with a web camera built in so its pretty cool and I think it was a good investment). We are currently ~$80k in debt to our manufacturer, my mom has ~$260k built up in debt. My parents obviously have a lot of issues with each other, stemming from even WAY before this business started and they do everything they can to hurt, annoy, and bother one another. This isn't helped by the fact that he's continually trying to get married to other women(he's Pakistani, it's kind of apart of the culture but still loving ridiculous) and pushing for a divorce. My mother doesn't want this because then it will leave everything on her head because unfortunately she's put her name on a good portion of the documents and once he divorces my mother he knows he only has so long to live so he doesn't really have to worry about the poo poo he's done(he's got lots of medical issues, refuses to stop his cigarette habit, and does not listen to a word his doctor says).

My brothers and I only recently started working on the business(my little brother and I work for no salary, but my older brother is my dads first born so he gets a slice of the pie and refuses to do anything without that slice) around the time he started getting the newer devices and it has been hell. My dad has zero organization, we basically run the business out of a garage but he's decided get two offices for $1k/mo is a smart idea right now. The lease for the offices end in December, thankfully, and I've taken on a leadership role trying to guide my father in the right direction. My aunt is also invested in the business she has a 75% stake so my dad could put the business debt on her head and not his, and I have been trying to convince them to sign over most of the business to my brothers and I so we can actually try to make it work. (Because literally anything would be better than my dad in charge) My dad calls me a lot and likes to complain about how he's a victim and stuff and I just tell him he's an idiot that's ruined our lives every single time, but in the most respectful way possible because hey, I need this to work out. Yesterday he called me saying he was done and was just going to give us the business, I suspect this is because he wasn't able to convince my aunt to get a $100k loan for his business. However we had an official meeting a few days ago where we discussed the state of the business and such and my father gave us an X amount of stock that we had, he also said he was planning to sell most, if not all of it. I talked with my mom today and she's telling me he went to sell some and has to money with him but isn't depositing it in the company account, I suspect because he wants to run off with it when he signs it over to us but I've made sure that the contract prepares for that.

So to sum things up(TL;DR): My family is ~$310k in debt (business and personal), my dad is abandoning the business and leaving it to us, I think he's trying to snatch and grab everything he can, I have limitations to my ability to work, and I'm completely lost. Most of the debt is on my mothers head because my dad fudged some numbers to make us believe this was a good investment.

If there's any help or advice or anything you guys could give, I'm at my wits end and I'll take anything really.

Edit 1: A lot of the responses are saying I shouldn't get involved but that's really not an option. On top of that the business can be pretty profitable if my dad did take so much for his personal expenses(i.e. Gambling, buying other women jewelry, etc. he's a pig.) I think with him out of the picture or at least less involved it could do pretty well.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 23, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I don't break this saying out much, but sweet sassy molassy.

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.
Oh man the dad knows he is still going to be responsible for that debt. That is unless he sells the business along with all of its debt to his unsuspecting kids and soon to be ex wife.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ah, r/wallstreetbets :allears:

YOLO. Used a 9k balance transfer offer to buy 1,750 shares of AMD. Was this smart? posted:

Hello all. Recently got approved for a credit card with a 9.5k balance and a 21 month 0% interest balance transfer offer. Sent $9,000 balance transfer to my own bank account rather than another credit card, paid $287 in balance transfer fees. Then used said balance transfer to buy 1,750 shares of amd @ 7.45 for $13,037.50 (used some margin) leaving myself with $68.75 left in my life savings account, but 21 months to pay off the balance transfer interest free. Was this plan foolproof? Can I lose? Stay tuned what will happen next. Please comment on whether this was a good idea or not ty in advance.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/G8Ov6tZ.png

edit: Futher proof cause somebody called BS: http://i.imgur.com/kpXCUmw.png

Later on, when asked about the rest of his finances, the OP says:

quote:

Steadily paying my others cc's off, woulda been able to pay a little bit more but I lost my last paycheck playing blackjack. Theyre only 25% apr tho

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a joke right? That has to be a joke.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Even if he was going to profit off the shares...Somehow...Won't that be eaten up by transaction fees or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NancyPants posted:

Even if he was going to profit off the shares...Somehow...Won't that be eaten up by transaction fees or something?

Depends on how much he profits, perhaps obviously.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
All the good news based upon previous speculation for AMD has pretty much already come to light. If you wanted to run up CC debt to make a speculative play for them, should have done it 6 months ago when the stock was at $2.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

The fun part is the kid thinks his dad 'created' this device instead of just buying it from some cheapo Chinese electronics outlet.

And on top of this, the device his dad 'invented' is in a 'legal grey area'.

Please, please take over your dad's illegal middleman enterprise that is over 300k dollars in debt. It's such a great idea considering you have paranoia and anxiety issues.

Kids these days can't even run drugs anymore, jesus christ.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

that idiot posted:

Nice i'll try to get it paid off, my boy got me in a real soft high stakes poker game thats running tonight

Master-class in trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NancyPants posted:

and short term cap gains

• Locked thread