Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"It's pronounced 'Mah-kwis', peasant. And it is not my name, but title bestowed upon my line by the Queen, and you WILL address me as the 'The Most Honourable The Marquez of I'll-Feed-You-Your-Own-Balls if you know that is good for you!"

Wait no. No, that'll really get the M'lady motors revving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

PallasAthene posted:

Bonus awkward pickup attempt story:

I sometimes carry a backpack with velcro tabs that still has an American flag and one of my nametapes from the Air Force on it. Let's pretend my last name is Marquez. (It's not, but that's close enough illustrate my point.)

Last night I was browsing at a used bookstore and out of nowhere some guy comes up to me and says "Well good evening to you, Seeeenyodeeta Maaaaaahd-kaaayyss." (Think of Giada saying "mozzarella" mid-sentence, but even worse.)

Before I could even get a word in, he said "I'll wager you're probably not used to guys even trying to pronounce your name correctly, but I really think that the beauty of an exotic name like that only shines through when it is said correctly. I speak Spanish fluently, so I always impress Latino parents by speaking to them in their own language...almost as much as I impress beautiful young ladies with how nimbly I can roll my tongue..." :grin:

This happened in Texas, where my name is not at all uncommon.

A class act.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Isn't white guys suddenly getting an Hispanic accent whenever they come across a Spanish word in the presences of a Latino a running joke?

"Hey Joe, I'm heading down to May Hick Oh for fireworks. Maybe drink some tay qweeeel ah. You want anything?"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if I'm speaking in Spanish I'll use the h sound for the 'x' but otherwise people who do that are annoying

idk how they're fitting a w into tequila either which pretty much sounds the same both ways

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 23, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I live in Texas and I see more people pronouncing names wrong seemingly on purpose, because they wouldn't be caught dead knowing the right pronunciation

More often with names other than Spanish, though

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

cheetah7071 posted:

Well first off you never ever use the word love to describe a male/male friendship

Completely untrue.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Isn't white guys suddenly getting an Hispanic accent whenever they come across a Spanish word in the presences of a Latino a running joke?

I try not to be cynical, but when someone tells me they're doing a lunch run to "THA-co Bell and ask if I want them to bring me a kEH-sah-deeejah and a Baghhha Blast," after they just asked the dude next to me if he wants a gordita or enchirito it seems like they either think I won't understand the English pronunciations or that I might take offense and ride around the place on a horse firing pistolas into the air. The inverse of this, which I find equally irritating is when my like 4th generation Hispanic friends who I know can pronounce words without an accent will suddenly throw Spanish inflections into regular English conversation to bump up their Latino cred.. Do you need to use the Spanish pronunciation of Los Angeles when you talk about the Dodgers game you just watched? Does my white blonde friend Angelica need to have the g-turned into h/j sound when you talk about her?

Mr. 47 posted:

Wow. And to think, the best pick-up line I could think of is, "Hey, how's it going. Are you into [whatever] books, too?" I seriously need to get gud at grrls.

If their book is something you're genuinely interested in and can talk about, then that's probably you're best option.

My brother went out with the same girl from middle school until the beginning of college, so he had no experience meeting random girls and talking them up. A few years later he and I were at Half Price Books and this kind of pixie looking granola chick was smiling at him and I told him he she was waiting for him to to go say hi. He walks up and says something like "Hey, whats up? So do you like [glances at the books in her hand] uh.....Wicca.....?" and I could see his face drop into wtf mode, but she said not really, but the books just looked kind of different and interesting and shifted her hand so that the cover of the top book is visible and the title was something like "Wiccan Sexual Magick" and you could almost hear the ka-ching in his head. I still give him poo poo about this every time we go to HPB.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PallasAthene posted:

I try not to be cynical, but when someone tells me they're doing a lunch run to "THA-co Bell and ask if I want them to bring me a kEH-sah-deeejah and a Baghhha Blast,"

but that's note even how those words are pronounced in Spanish lol so yeah they're being annoying idiots

does it make you mad if someone says 'baha blast' versus using the hard 'j' sound though?

like most of the streets around here are Spanish names so if you say 'Estrella de Mar' without the Y sound on the double L you just instantly sound like a tourist. La Jolla is 'la hoya' for example.

e: and g is just g so if they are pronouncing 'Angelica' as 'Anhelica' they're again just being retards

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 23, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

When we get a new temp

Me: hello *looks at paper* Miguel

Him: hello, you can call me Michael if you want

Dude, just tell me what YOU want to be called

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

PallasAthene posted:

Does my white blonde friend Angelica need to have the g-turned into h/j sound when you talk about her?

Hi, I'm Esteeeeeeeeeenky Pedro

edit: hhhhhhola

Moridin920 posted:

La Jolla is 'la hoya' for example.

I call it L'Choyeh and pretend it's Hebrew

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

"Hey Joe, I'm heading down to May Hick Oh for fireworks. Maybe drink some tay qweeeel ah. You want anything?"

I wanted to respond to the PallasAthene's post with a clip from the movie club dread where a character tries to pick up by saying "what a beautiful name...penolope"(mispronounced as peena-lope) but when i googled 'what a beautiful name' the first suggestion was how to say "that is a beautiful name" in spanish.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Moridin920 posted:

does it make you mad if someone says 'baha blast' versus using the hard 'j' sound though?

also most of the streets around here are Spanish names so if you say 'Estrella de Mar' without the Y sound on the double L you just instantly sound like a tourist. La Jolla is 'la hoya' for example.

Baha Blast is how I say it. But when people go out of their way to say it with an accent, they almost always overdo it like crazy.

Unless I was talking to someone who only spoke Spanish, I would say "la hoya." If the whole conversation was in Spanish it would just flow into the sentence.

I guess it would be like if I was talking to a person whose family was German for example and went out of my way to say Boodvieser, it would feel pretty condescending. Especially if that wasn't even the right way to say it because I just guessed how it sounded based on however the German equivalent of Speedy Gonzalez talks.

Also, Speedy Gonzalez is one of my favorite literary characters.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Moridin920 posted:

but that's note even how those words are pronounced in Spanish lol so yeah they're being annoying idiots

like most of the streets around here are Spanish names so if you say 'Estrella de Mar' without the Y sound on the double L you just instantly sound like a tourist. La Jolla is 'la hoya' for example.

And it's always loving Spanish with these people. Even in Canada. One time while wasted at a family event my mother in law said that they like to go to Cuba and Mexico every year or so because she "speaks a bit of Spanish." The reality is that she struggles to pronounce even the simplest words and the closest thing she's come to learning it is a phrasebook that's kept in the kitchen that collects dust most of the time until her husband picks it up to quiz her on random words neither of them can pronounce.

We once showed them the Spanish course on Duolingo, because it's a stupid easy and proven way to learn the basics of a new language and we were hoping they would be really excited about it but they could not have been any less interested.

Nobody seems to be this way for French or any other language, except maybe nerdy weebs with Japanese.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 23, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PallasAthene posted:

Baha Blast is how I say it. But when people go out of their way to say it with an accent, they almost always overdo it like crazy.

Unless I was talking to someone who only spoke Spanish, I would say "la hoya." If the whole conversation was in Spanish it would just flow into the sentence.

I guess it would be like if I was talking to a person whose family was German for example and went out of my way to say Boodvieser, it would feel pretty condescending. Especially if that wasn't even the right way to say it because I just guessed how it sounded based on however the German equivalent of Speedy Gonzalez talks.

Also, Speedy Gonzalez is one of my favorite literary characters.

Well it sounds like they're less trying to use Spanish accents and more just trying to be purposefully offensive by exaggerating it into a stereotype?

And yeah that sounds annoying as hell lol

Speedy is dope.

Mak0rz posted:

And it's always loving Spanish with these people.

I was watching Cops and the officer literally said to the latino truck driver "tenny mucho mucho dinero in su trucky trailer?"

he prolly thought he was speaking fluently lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're not trying to be offensive, they just legit think that exaggerating accents is great comedy

we enlightened folks know that only Asian accents are funny

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: oops

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think they think it's cute to see people trying to speak English or something and view it as innocently giving people a hard time

Not everyone, obviously

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

radiatinglines posted:

they're not trying to be offensive, they just legit think that exaggerating accents is great comedy

we enlightened folks know that only Asian accents are funny

Very naaaice

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Back when I was working a job that required me to call out customers names I was always really worried about appearing ignorant by mispronouncing foreign or exotic names. So to make it seem like I was just retarded rather than bigoted I would purposely mispronounce all names including the common anglo ones, until I got in trouble for pronouncing colin as colon.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Speedy is dope.

Please, his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez is much better.

Ok mostly because that's what I call my dog when I take him out for his evening walk because I usually have to wake him up and it takes time five minutes to process the word "outside". And once we're outside he just kinda wanders aimlessly till it clicks that he needs to pee.

eunice
Aug 23, 2016

by Smythe
did google officially give up on the cadie and her singularity troll? :p

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

Back when I was working a job that required me to call out customers names I was always really worried about appearing ignorant by mispronouncing foreign or exotic names. So to make it seem like I was just retarded rather than bigoted I would purposely mispronounce all names including the common anglo ones, until I got in trouble for pronouncing colin as colon.

I'm sure you gave more of a poo poo then the people whose names you would have hosed up.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Redjakk posted:

he starts doing pushups and pumping free weights that were in the garage. Eventually he comes back in looking manic and talking about how he wasn't going to let BITCHES ruin his life and promptly passes out on the couch.

This dude unironically owns.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Whenever I have to read aloud something Spanish I always try to do a Spanish (i.e. Castilian) accent. Is that racist of me, since I live in the USA and most Spanish speakers here are not considered white whereas Spaniards are?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk but if it's the one with the lisp it's loving annoying as poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Apollodorus posted:

Whenever I have to read aloud something Spanish I always try to do a Spanish (i.e. Castilian) accent. Is that racist of me, since I live in the USA and most Spanish speakers here are not considered white whereas Spaniards are?

I don't know, are you white?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know, are you white?

In the extreme

Moridin920 posted:

idk but if it's the one with the lisp it's loving annoying as poo poo

Yeah it's the one with the lisp.

The two Spanish speakers I interact with the most are both Spaniards and about 90% of the Spanish literature I read is by Spaniards so I guess that's why? Or see above RE my theory that it's just racist of me.

e: I thought my wife was partly Hispanic and/or Asian until like 3 weeks after we started dating

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Apollodorus posted:

In the extreme

Then you're racist.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
but Castilians are white aren't they

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Chomp8645 posted:

Then you're racist.

aw, nuts

guess I'm not a "nice" guy after all

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe but in that case it's still cultural appropriation so still racist.

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

as the saying goes, africa starts at the pyrenees (and the alps)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
on the plus side not being a "nice" guy means I get laid, hell yes :getin:

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

is it just me or have shibari and anal gotten really popular with 20somethings lately

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

from the people who brought u "netflix and chill", here's "shibari and anal"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is that a new detective show or something

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

PallasAthene posted:

I try not to be cynical, but when someone tells me they're doing a lunch run to "THA-co Bell and ask if I want them to bring me a kEH-sah-deeejah and a Baghhha Blast," after they just asked the dude next to me if he wants a gordita or enchirito it seems like they either think I won't understand the English pronunciations or that I might take offense and ride around the place on a horse firing pistolas into the air. The inverse of this, which I find equally irritating is when my like 4th generation Hispanic friends who I know can pronounce words without an accent will suddenly throw Spanish inflections into regular English conversation to bump up their Latino cred.. Do you need to use the Spanish pronunciation of Los Angeles when you talk about the Dodgers game you just watched? Does my white blonde friend Angelica need to have the g-turned into h/j sound when you talk about her?

If their book is something you're genuinely interested in and can talk about, then that's probably you're best option.

My brother went out with the same girl from middle school until the beginning of college, so he had no experience meeting random girls and talking them up. A few years later he and I were at Half Price Books and this kind of pixie looking granola chick was smiling at him and I told him he she was waiting for him to to go say hi. He walks up and says something like "Hey, whats up? So do you like [glances at the books in her hand] uh.....Wicca.....?" and I could see his face drop into wtf mode, but she said not really, but the books just looked kind of different and interesting and shifted her hand so that the cover of the top book is visible and the title was something like "Wiccan Sexual Magick" and you could almost hear the ka-ching in his head. I still give him poo poo about this every time we go to HPB.

Wait, they pronounced "Taco" like a Castillian would say "Zaco"?

Seconding that the Castillian lisp is annoying as gently caress.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

is it just me or have shibari and anal gotten really popular with 20somethings lately

What the hell is shibari?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Mr. 47 posted:

What the hell is shibari?

Japanese rope bondage :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Benny Harvey posted:

Wait, they pronounced "Taco" like a Castillian would say "Zaco"?

Seconding that the Castillian lisp is annoying as gently caress.

I think it means they make the extra effort to pronounce the /t/ in taco WITHOUT the American English aspiration on it.

Unvoiced plosives are generally aspirated in English but not in Spanish.

• Locked thread