Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

This is a better version of those stabilized star trek videos, these people actually coordinate which way to sway and slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What people always forget is that it's not a lack of oxygen that gives you the "I need air" feeling, it's an excess of carbon dioxide.

So when you just displace the oxygen with another gas you don't get the sensation of suffocating and you think you're fine until you suddenly black out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/767989671783792640

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Javid posted:

The contractor I'm working for is very osha.

Not pictured: The left ladder is sitting on a partially demo'd deck which is currently being held up by a piece of firewood.

e:

The guard on that saw has long since been removed, of course.

This reminds me of a callout I went to (volunteer fire fighter, we also do medicals) where a guy was trimming tree branches with a circular saw, on a ladder, by the edge of an empty pool.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Is it included in OSHA if you "walk" the ladder? Like straddle it and then move it while you are on it by rocking back and forth. I do it all the time so I am not sure, it doesn't seem too bad.

That said, sometimes we rig up like a ladder like below
  /\
 /\/\

and use it like a bridge then put another ladder on top of it. This was in Arizona where nobody apparently gives a gently caress.

Also during monsoon season it would rain like crazy + lightning and you would be on top of this metal ladder wondering what the gently caress.

du -hast fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 23, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

du -hast posted:

Is it included in OSHA if you "walk" the ladder? Like straddle it and then move it while you are on it by rocking back and forth. I do it all the time so I am not sure, it doesn't seem too bad.

Yes it's usually covered under 'Oh god dont do that poo poo'

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

I'm watching Event Horizon and this spaceship is one giant flying OSHA hazard. Giant pits with no railings and the walls covered in spikes, slippery pools of liquid in working spaces, no safety overrides to prevent a crazy or malicious operator from opening the airlocks, insufficient spare carbon dioxide scrubbers, no PPE stations anywhere near the room containing the giant reactor that emits dangerous brain altering radiation.

Also the ship keeps sending workers to a hell dimension.

Why do you hate small business?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Those giant evil hell dimension ships are job creators. Makers and takers, people.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Where we're going, we don't need limbs to work.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
At least that one worker knew to do somersaults and scream a lot while all the blood came out of his eyes in space.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sagebrush posted:

I'm watching Event Horizon and this spaceship is one giant flying OSHA hazard. Giant pits with no railings and the walls covered in spikes, slippery pools of liquid in working spaces, no safety overrides to prevent a crazy or malicious operator from opening the airlocks, insufficient spare carbon dioxide scrubbers, no PPE stations anywhere near the room containing the giant reactor that emits dangerous brain altering radiation.

Also the ship keeps sending workers to a hell dimension.

In Alien, the Nostromo has a room that's apparently just devoted to being full of hanging chains and running water. When you activate the self-destruct sequence, all the regular lighting is replaced with strobes, while steam vents open up and blow freely. Space OSHA needs to get its act together.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Green Intern posted:

In Alien, the Nostromo has a room that's apparently just devoted to being full of hanging chains and running water. When you activate the self-destruct sequence, all the regular lighting is replaced with strobes, while steam vents open up and blow freely. Space OSHA needs to get its act together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Green Intern posted:

I can't find it now but I remember some industrial planner wrote a really neat article about The Abyss explaining that the issue at the end where under the yellow light from his suit Ed Harris couldn't tell the difference between the blue wire with white stripe and the black wire with yellow stripe should never have happened because planning wire colors is actually a pretty huge and basic part of industrial engineering/design and it should have been built with a solid wire and a striped wire instead of two similarly colored striped wires. Of course, that's in a perfect world where people are competent and companies don't cut corners.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scruff McGruff posted:

I can't find it now but I remember some industrial planner wrote a really neat article about The Abyss explaining that the issue at the end where under the yellow light from his suit Ed Harris couldn't tell the difference between the blue wire with white stripe and the black wire with yellow stripe should never have happened because planning wire colors is actually a pretty huge and basic part of industrial engineering/design and it should have been built with a solid wire and a striped wire instead of two similarly colored striped wires. Of course, that's in a perfect world where people are competent and companies don't cut corners.

In aviation all the wires are the same colour, but with labels on the ends.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Scruff McGruff posted:

IIRC that nuke was never designed to be used underwater, so nobody would have considered the effect of diving suit lights on it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wdarkk posted:

IIRC that nuke was never designed to be used underwater, so nobody would have considered the effect of diving suit lights on it.

That still wouldn't matter. You design things like those wires to look absolutely different no matter what, whether it was lit by a flashlight or someone lighting their own farts while encased in lime jello.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't the whole mission hastily thrown together in a crisis? Maybe they skimped on the usability testing.

If you asked Cameron, he'd blame it on the prop department, same as the Titanic floating door thing :ssh:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

At least that one worker knew to do somersaults and scream a lot while all the blood came out of his eyes in space.

Some people just love their jobs.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If you can't take the pressure, stay out of the vacuum.

No, wait. Hmm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sigourney Weaver clearly says "well gently caress that!" here but for some reason they redubbed it "screw that." I wish there was a version of the movie somewhere with the original line, cause it's much better that way.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Sagebrush posted:

Sigourney Weaver clearly says "well gently caress that!" here but for some reason they redubbed it "screw that." I wish there was a version of the movie somewhere with the original line, cause it's much better that way.

They edited the hell out of the movie to get a better rating. All of Tony Shalhoub's weed references got removed too. Dude's character was stoned the entire time but it barely comes up, you just seem him squint-eyed and eating bags of doritos in every scene.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Scruff McGruff posted:

Speaking of wire colors, I'm red/green color blind. Green, brown, red, orange all look the same depending on shade and context. Also, blue and purple look the same. I swear that no devices take red/green color blindness into consideration. When your server has an indicator light that says green=good, amber=notification, red=failure, I can't tell the difference at all. It wouldn't be hard to engineer the equipment to take into account the 1 in 10 people that are the same as me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You know, had I signed such an agreement I'd probably have expected them to be tied down or something

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Neurion posted:

Cross-posting from the Lego thread, my coworker and I had a little fun during a lull in business.

wish the logo man faces could be in the thread title

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mostlygray posted:

Speaking of wire colors, I'm red/green color blind. Green, brown, red, orange all look the same depending on shade and context. Also, blue and purple look the same. I swear that no devices take red/green color blindness into consideration. When your server has an indicator light that says green=good, amber=notification, red=failure, I can't tell the difference at all. It wouldn't be hard to engineer the equipment to take into account the 1 in 10 people that are the same as me.

I wonder if those glasses that shift filter colors to allow colorblind people to see the colors they haven't experienced before would have positive workplace ramifications for you.

http://enchroma.com/

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I found a picture. :nws::nws:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mostlygray posted:

We use a software development tool called Jenkins at work. Normally its web panel shows a blue 'light' (just a ball icon) for success, and a red one for failure.

There is a plugin for Jenkins that changes the blue icon into a green one because apparently some spergs hate blue.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Carbon dioxide posted:

We use a software development tool called Jenkins at work. Normally its web panel shows a blue 'light' (just a ball icon) for success, and a red one for failure.

There is a plugin for Jenkins that changes the blue icon into a green one because apparently some spergs hate blue.

Anyone remember when the PS2 first came out? And how loving futuristically advanced it was because it had a BLUE LED omg, then a few years later every loving thing had a blue LED. There was a button sequence or something that turned the PS2's blue LED into a green one too, if you wanted to.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

mostlygray posted:

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Sorry colour blind people, you're just going to have to get caught in machinery and die, conventions are important.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Burning_Monk posted:

They edited the hell out of the movie to get a better rating. All of Tony Shalhoub's weed references got removed too. Dude's character was stoned the entire time but it barely comes up, you just seem him squint-eyed and eating bags of doritos in every scene.
I like the new version of a burning Monk.

Then again Monk would never eat Doritos because of the cheese dust getting everywhere.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

treasure bear posted:

Sorry colour blind people, you're just going to have to get caught in machinery and die, conventions saving pennies on LED manufacturing and software color blind modes are important.
Edited to be closer to reality (unlike the genetically inferior's perception of color)

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Carbon dioxide posted:

In one of the classes I took in Uni we had a team assignment and I had used red and green highlighted text to signal problems and one of my teammates reported a bug with the highlighting. Took us a good few minutes to remember he was red/green colorblind. We switched red to black with white text.

Reported that as a feature.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Someone who can see please tell me what this says. I'm on the border of colorblind or not and this one is a fail fo me

Edit: Nevermind stared at it for another min.

Hey gently caress you buddy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUA5y9J_89o

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rude.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Wasabi the J posted:

I wonder if those glasses that shift filter colors to allow colorblind people to see the colors they haven't experienced before would have positive workplace ramifications for you.

http://enchroma.com/

I checked out the color blind test and every now and then there was just grey on grey with no number but at the end it said I"m not color blind. Were those false positives tossed in there to see if you're honest about not being able to see poo poo and might just be guessing? Or is there a magical color out there I just can't see and all I perceive is grey but they are withholding that information from me for some nefarious purpose. I feel like my enemies are writing secret notes in octarine or whatever and laughing at me now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krinkle posted:

I checked out the color blind test and every now and then there was just grey on grey with no number but at the end it said I"m not color blind. Were those false positives tossed in there to see if you're honest about not being able to see poo poo and might just be guessing? Or is there a magical color out there I just can't see and all I perceive is grey but they are withholding that information from me for some nefarious purpose. I feel like my enemies are writing secret notes in octarine or whatever and laughing at me now.

I've never seen a false positive on a colorblind test but I've only done it a couple of times on the internet because I'm not colorblind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Do I mean false negative then?
Ugh, I can't get a screen shot of it because my shortcut key for puu.sh makes me guess the number 4. Now I'm colorblind, officially, for bad guessing of the number 4 too many times. Thanks a lot.