Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried a Rock deck with grim flayer and new Liliana? They seem like good additions in those colors. The answer is probably no, like usual, but maybe one day straight BG will be good enough. I really want to cast Phyrexian Obliterator one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Has anyone tried a Rock deck with grim flayer and new Liliana? They seem like good additions in those colors. The answer is probably no, like usual, but maybe one day straight BG will be good enough. I really want to cast Phyrexian Obliterator one day.

Would new lilly really be better than old lilly in a rock shell?

Obliterator seems like the only card you really get going GB over Jund, and you lose a lot of awesome cards like Kolahan's Command and a great man-land.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

Would new lilly really be better than old lilly in a rock shell?

Obliterator seems like the only card you really get going GB over Jund, and you lose a lot of awesome cards like Kolahan's Command and a great man-land.

Oh I know. There's always something to be said for having near perfect mana all the time like you'll get in a dedicated 2 color deck as well. I imagine you'd play both Lilianas but the new one and flayer work really well together. I really want to try the new Liliana more in modern, being able to recurr value creatures and having extra card advantage in black seems great.

Also curious if Distended Mindbender could get used in modern. Saccing a finks or something similar (mono black with geralfs messenger maybe) to get a 5/5 and double duress on turn 4 seems good, don't know if it's worth the effort in modern though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Geralf's Messenger is actually a good gB pickup too that you don't get in Jund.

I think the rock deck will exist when there's enough heavy B or heavy G cards that cutting the third color makes more sense.

I don't think Mindbender is very good because it's only powerful on curve, it sucks as a top deck and in this kind of rock deck you want a lot of ability to grind or earn extra cards.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

so does anyone in here watch Rich Shay stream, or the VSL? I'm putting together Landstill independently, but he's been doing well with a version that has New Emrakul in it. I'm curious if anyone has seen how those games play out, and if that card is better than a consecrated sphinx or any of the other big blue finishers. it seems really bad without having watched the games, and really hard to cast without an academy+requisite artifact count.

i guess with a standstill out and both players just kind of staring at each other you might build up to enough mana to cast the thing

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cast triggers are insane in vintage. Especially cast triggers that also take their next turn.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

oh that's right the mindslaver is an on-cast trigger. lol

how much trouble does he have casting the thing?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sigma-X posted:

Geralf's Messenger is actually a good gB pickup too that you don't get in Jund.

I think the rock deck will exist when there's enough heavy B or heavy G cards that cutting the third color makes more sense.

I don't think Mindbender is very good because it's only powerful on curve, it sucks as a top deck and in this kind of rock deck you want a lot of ability to grind or earn extra cards.

Living the dream of T3 Messenger, T4 attack for 3, sac for Mindbender sounds like the best thing ever so I want to make that happen now.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Living the dream of T3 Messenger, T4 attack for 3, sac for Mindbender sounds like the best thing ever so I want to make that happen now.

The dream is turn 3 new Liliana, turn 4 siege rhino, turn 5 swing 4, sac rhino to mindbender,- 2 Liliana get back rhino. I can dream.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

so does anyone in here watch Rich Shay stream, or the VSL? I'm putting together Landstill independently, but he's been doing well with a version that has New Emrakul in it. I'm curious if anyone has seen how those games play out, and if that card is better than a consecrated sphinx or any of the other big blue finishers. it seems really bad without having watched the games, and really hard to cast without an academy+requisite artifact count.

i guess with a standstill out and both players just kind of staring at each other you might build up to enough mana to cast the thing
I don't really have any real advice for you, but Spirits is the new hot deck. Build that. Man I can't wait for tomorrow.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The dream is turn 3 new Liliana, turn 4 siege rhino, turn 5 swing 4, sac rhino to mindbender,- 2 Liliana get back rhino. I can dream.

Actually it's t2 matter reshaper -> t3 mindbender

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ready to buy into legacy and am 100% torn between Infect and DnT.

Death and Taxes seems super fun, but I'm not certain on where its headed with CN2; it seems like it could really shift upon release, and DnT lands could skyrocket, too
Infect; I own all of Modern Infect so this is relatively easy to buy into. I like how Legacy Infect plays a LOT more than Modern in playtesting.

I'm very much about competitive decks, and I liked both of these in testing, and both have a similar buy-in with my inventory.

Help me goons.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Walked posted:

Ready to buy into legacy and am 100% torn between Infect and DnT.

Death and Taxes seems super fun, but I'm not certain on where its headed with CN2; it seems like it could really shift upon release, and DnT lands could skyrocket, too
Infect; I own all of Modern Infect so this is relatively easy to buy into. I like how Legacy Infect plays a LOT more than Modern in playtesting.

I'm very much about competitive decks, and I liked both of these in testing, and both have a similar buy-in with my inventory.

Help me goons.

Berserk just tanked to under 30 bucks.

Legacy infect.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't have a stock Legacy Infect list memorized but I feel like it has to be fairly similar to Modern Infect, so if you have the Modern version built the legwork to get the Legacy components isn't too crazy. Maybe just Trops, FoW, Berserk, Invigorate? Does Legacy Infect still run Blazing Shoal with Progenitus or is that too cute?

D&T does seem sweet though, that's a deck I want to build someday but that mana base :shepface:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Berserk just tanked to under 30 bucks.

Also this.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks guys; thats the way I was leaning. I tend to shy away from Modern Infect because its lacking in interaction compared to Jund; so while it's effective, it's not the most engaging. Legacy infect just about entirely fixes this.

:homebrew:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

Thanks guys; thats the way I was leaning. I tend to shy away from Modern Infect because its lacking in interaction compared to Jund; so while it's effective, it's not the most engaging. Legacy infect just about entirely fixes this.

Definitely infect because blue lands and forces are the most important cards to own.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

L0cke17 posted:

Definitely infect because blue lands and forces are the most important cards to own.

Yeah but the only cards in Legacy infect that are played in anything else are Forces and Trops...

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but the only cards in Legacy infect that are played in anything else are Forces and Trops...

Dazes and cantrips too. It's got way more crossover with other decks than D&t which only has wasteland, stoneforge, and containment priest.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

L0cke17 posted:

Dazes and cantrips too. It's got way more crossover with other decks than D&t which only has wasteland, stoneforge, and containment priest.

Yeah but Dazes and Brainstorms are like a quarter each. I'm talking cards you actually have to spend money on.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Those were also just about the only cards I was lacking that cost any significant cash.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but Dazes and Brainstorms are like a quarter each. I'm talking cards you actually have to spend money on.

Those are the only vcards that cost anything though. So it's okay.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Death's Shadow went from hot the first few events I played it to ice cold. This of course means I'm going to be reactionary and audible to Dredge at the last minute for Indy.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Snacksmaniac posted:

Death's Shadow went from hot the first few events I played it to ice cold. This of course means I'm going to be reactionary and audible to Dredge at the last minute for Indy.

I'm expecting GP Indy to be a huge breakout weekend for Dredge which is why I'm packing my Jund sideboard with all the hate I can.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've been messing with a dumb (modern) BUG Elves list that's heavy on 4 drops and uses Eldritch Evolution instead of CoCo because I'm sick of casting CoCo. Master Biomancer feels like a card that ought to be playable somewhere in modern; of course it's very weak to Path, but it survives bolt, and in an elf shell it's not hard to get it out of dismember range.

I also finished legacy and modern infect yesterday, I guess I'm a green player at heart, drat it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm expecting GP Indy to be a huge breakout weekend for Dredge which is why I'm packing my Jund sideboard with all the hate I can.

That means you will play against dredge zero times.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

That's okay thou, plenty of modern decks use their graveyards.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mcmagic posted:

Time to gear up for the Jund mirror

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Death Bot posted:

Time to gear up for the Jund mirror

lol this is the other thing I'm worried about

e:

Basically sideboarding for:

Jund Mirror
Grindy control (Nahiri/UWx/Grixis)
Dredge
Suicide Zoo
Affinity

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

lol this is the other thing I'm worried about

e:

Basically sideboarding for:

Jund Mirror
Grindy control (Nahiri/UWx/Grixis)
Dredge
Suicide Zoo
Affinity

If you ask me, Abzan is better positioned right now than Jund is.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

I think there's something to be said for Bolt over Path. But I agree if Suicide Zoo starts to fade from the meta.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If I can track down the Gorges and some commons, the audible is complete. :twisted:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think there's something to be said for Bolt over Path. But I agree if Suicide Zoo starts to fade from the meta.

Path is roughly 10 billion times better vs Suicide Zoo than Bolt is.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Don't play Infect. It's not very good and I don't think I've ever played an interesting game with it. Death and Taxes is a lot of fun and by the looks of things it's probably going to get a lot better.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Don't listen to this guy re: infect. Berserk is cool and my friend!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Walked posted:

WHOA NOW you can't go using words like "interaction!" Who knows what that even means?!

It's not like legacy infect is much more interactive, it just has Force and Daze to protect its guys instead of Apostle's Blessing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've played against legacy infect a lot and I think it will be fun to pilot. I'm fine playing the much more goldfishy modern deck, too; if I wanted to interact with my opponent I wouldn't be playing modern.

Your warnings came too late, anyway -- my $700 package from TCG is already on the way :-P

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Oh I know. There's always something to be said for having near perfect mana all the time like you'll get in a dedicated 2 color deck as well. I imagine you'd play both Lilianas but the new one and flayer work really well together. I really want to try the new Liliana more in modern, being able to recurr value creatures and having extra card advantage in black seems great.

Also curious if Distended Mindbender could get used in modern. Saccing a finks or something similar (mono black with geralfs messenger maybe) to get a 5/5 and double duress on turn 4 seems good, don't know if it's worth the effort in modern though.

It saw play in a company deck sideboard on camera at the syracuse open. Absolutely destroyed the tron player he was facing.

https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/83380672?t=8h13m55s

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

speaking of interaction, what's everyone's feeling on the way-too-many-cards Elfball Lands lists floating around? From some minor testing and one event, I think it's probably overall* not as good as either 60-card NO elves or Chaos Elves, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to pilot, and you have so many silver bullets that you at least feel like you have a chance at coming back from board states that would just be scoop in the normal elves decks. I'll probably keep messing with this for the foreseeable future. It's also more consistent than you'd expect an 85 card pile to be, because of the sort of unreasonable number of tutors you have access to (in an Enchantress match I got Ruric Thar out in all 3 games, generally by turn 3).

I think I'm going to throw an Animar into this list, as long as I'm trying to play Commander with a legacy deck may as well be all in.

*meta-dependent

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Path is roughly 10 billion times better vs Suicide Zoo than Bolt is.

I meant in general I like Bolt as a removal spell more and in the Suicide Zoo matchup Jund has access to burn spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

You just hate Jund