Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe someone stumbled on a blog post about sparse files and are worried it applies to zip files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Super Slash posted:

I see stuff like this so much I'm not even surprised any more, people are just filthy animals.

Piss on the floor
TP all over the floor
Piss on the toilet seat
Piss left in the bowl
poo poo left in the bowl
Mountain of TP left in the bowl just waiting to be flooded when there's a bin less than a meter away

I'm tempted to constantly stick up bold angry messages calling people out on their disgusting habits, and at the same time stick up "Jeff Goldblum is watching you poop" posters.

edit: typo

At job-1, I wrote an SOP for how to pee in the urinals without pissing on the floor, including crude stick diagrams:

OVERVIEW: To relieve yourself using the provided urinals without making unnecessary messes.

IMPACT: Improper use of the urinals will make messes that will smell and discourage other users of the bathroom facilities.

SOP STEPS:
1) Unfasten lower garments
2) approach urinal. Line up so that your crotch is right under over the urinal lip, so any dribbles or drips will be caught
3) urinate
4) shake off any excess urine
5) refasten garmets
6) wash hands. Do not argue, just do it.

Escalation Paths:
Your mother can show you how to properly succeed in this task if you need help.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 23, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nitrogen posted:

At job-1, I wrote an SOP for how to pee in the urinals without pissing on the floor, including crude stick diagrams:

OVERVIEW: To relieve yourself using the provided urinals without making unnecessary messes.

IMPACT: Improper use of the urinals will make messes that will smell and discourage other users of the bathroom facilities.

SOP STEPS:
2) approach urinal. Line up so that your crotch is right under the urinal lip, so any dribbles or drips will be caught
3) urinate
5) refasten garmets

Escalation Paths:

Hah this is awesome. Should be posted in every bathroom.

Forgiveness is given to those that occasionally miss the toilet (if you say you never do, you're a loving liar, or you sit literally every time you pee), but clean up after themselves.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You wrote an SOP for pissing all over the wall underneath the urinal, though :v:

Edit: Unless it's for a handstand piss.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

You wrote an SOP for pissing all over the wall underneath the urinal, though :v:

I noticed that after typing my post and was going to edit to mention, but lazy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

Nitrogen loves piss on the floor.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
No, i'm just a dumbass summarizing instead of taking a picture of a printout :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nitrogen posted:

No, i'm just a dumbass summarizing instead of taking a picture of a printout :(

please fax me a picture of your printout and revert

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector_666 posted:

please fax me a picture of your printout and revert

I took a picture with my iphone, had it printed at Walgreen's. Now I've got it back and I need to scan it in so I can e-fax it to you.

The scanner doesn't work. The button red and the screen says PWROFF. Who's Roff and why did he put a password on the scanner?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks Ants posted:

It never mentions whipping your dick out or putting it back, so it's more for pissing your pants with the zipper open.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

instructions unclear, got dilz stuck in Dyson Airblade

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Ticket priority 0
Creator: Phantom Pisser
Assignee: IT

Subject: haha fuckos, I peed on the floor to spite you

Sent from my IPhone

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Somewhere out there, someone has logged an IT ticket about one of those things not working.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:getin:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ynglaur posted:

Somewhere out there, someone has logged an IT ticket about one of those things not working.

Airblade will not flush, THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So we all know that IT is also the research department. Hey no one can figure out what this is, you know how to google! Find this!

Sales can't figure out why a product UPC isn't working on Amazon, Amazon says another product is using this. The System just gives them UPCs they don't know where they come from. Okay so this has been going on for a few months, finally gets on my desk today, first I hear about it.

I look into UPCs, see there is a yearly fee and go ask about it, no one knows anything about them but we're listed so we must be paying! I say I'm going to call and figure this out, get an angry CFO running up to my desk
:argh:what if they don't know and want to back bill us!
I discover UPCs before 2002 were actually a 1 time fee and there was a massive lawsuit over them trying to switch it to annual for existing members too.

Amazon still wants a certificate to prove we own the block since the other seller apparently provided "proof" that they are entitled to use the number
Great okay so I call them, get everything squared away and get a nice certificate.

Thanks for making me waste an extra hour trying to figure out about this lawsuit when they were not GS1 but were UCC and its not very well documented. The only real references are sites that resell from their grandfathered in blocks. I now know more than I wanted to know about the history of the UPC code, I already knew the first thing sold was gum and the interesting bits.

I'm hoping this is the end of it, but we all know sales is going to gently caress it up and not tell me until December. It will finally end when I'm added as an authorized contact on our Amazon account and just deal with it myself. I have better things to do, like figure out why this one simple GPO keeps taking 3 minutes to process for some users but not all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No not research department, it's computer janitor. Same as a traditional janitor: you deal with the lovely messes no one else wants to clean up. Except it's all digital, so at least you don't have to mop up vomit and pee.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

did you know that bar codes actually work on the empty spaces not the black stripes???

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nitrogen posted:

SOP STEPS:
2) approach urinal. Line up so that your crotch is right under over the urinal lip, so any dribbles or drips will be caught
3) urinate
5) refasten garmets

Escalation Paths:

Ticket closed: SOP applicable to HomoSapiens™ model XY only, please do the needful.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sirotan posted:

Ticket closed: SOP applicable to HomoSapiens™ model XY only, please do the needful.

XY model Bathroom SOP containment room has an ACL deny for model XX, therefore this is none of your concern.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

pixaal posted:

:argh:what if they don't know and want to back bill us!
Did you reply with, "Don't steal stuff."?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

did you know that bar codes actually work on the empty spaces not the black stripes???

I did not. That is very interesting. Please, tell us more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I did not. That is very interesting. Please, tell us more.

QR codes are a useful technology as evidenced by this Tumblr

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

QR codes are a useful technology as evidenced by this Tumblr

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

I always click on that and I always laugh.

Over the years I've heard so many bad management plans to use QR codes. They're always worthless and never get implemented.

EDIT: No, you dumb idiot babies you are not going to manually rename 9 gigabytes of files. You are going to have to learn to use the renaming software I gave you. You cannot manually rename 7,000+ goddamn files by the end of the day.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

SOP STEPS:
3) urinate
5) refasten garmets

Escalation Paths:

Had to poop, but could not find applicable HOWTO. Tried to adapt this method with less than ideal results. Please advice.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Had to poop, but could not find applicable HOWTO. Tried to adapt this method with less than ideal results. Please advice.

also IT please do the needful to floor/urinal, I ate too much indian food last night and it shows.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Surely poop has a MAN page!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Surely poop has a MAN page!

If not, we need to start a wiki.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:v: : Hi Zamujasa, please renew the certificates on these websites: *.a, *.b, *.c
:coal: : sure

:coal: : wow this website's interface really sucks, but at least I got *.a and *.b done! on to the last one

(A few hours of frustrated server checking later)

:coal: : I'm not sure how we ended up with nine different servers under the "*.c" wildcard cert but I want to punch whoever set it up without any sort of central management for configuration or certificates, especially considering they're all the exact loving same

It's cool, I like logging into a bunch of different servers, figuring out where the snowflake configuration is on each one, and updating it. :toot:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zamujasa posted:

:v: : Hi Zamujasa, please renew the certificates on these websites: *.a, *.b, *.c
:coal: : sure

:coal: : wow this website's interface really sucks, but at least I got *.a and *.b done! on to the last one

(A few hours of frustrated server checking later)

:coal: : I'm not sure how we ended up with nine different servers under the "*.c" wildcard cert but I want to punch whoever set it up without any sort of central management for configuration or certificates, especially considering they're all the exact loving same

It's cool, I like logging into a bunch of different servers, figuring out where the snowflake configuration is on each one, and updating it. :toot:

This with domain names holy poo poo. Hi we have 70 domain names, several expire each month of the year, renew them for 1 year each oh and we're dropping these, let's talk next month about the next batch, oh and buy GimmickDomainName.net, it sounds better than .com! Hey we can pay partial years on all of these in bulk and get them to at least expire on the same month, can we do that? NO! Of course not!.

gently caress I hate monthly domain renewal turns into 12 hours of debating with marketing sales and the CEO who is hands on with all of these what ones to keep and drop and I have to sit in on the meetings. We only use like 8 of them, and 5 of them are redirects!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nitrogen posted:

SOP STEPS:
3) urinate
5) refasten garmets

Escalation Paths:

*Angry man arrives at IT desk with urine-soaked pants and untied shoes.* "These instructions suck"

Also need to repeat #6 like 10 times or put it in 72 point font or something. Hate this, goddammit, and at least one guy in my office does not wash his hands after pissing because of loving course, "I don't piss on my hands." No, you just touch your filthy dick and the urinal flush handle which has been touched by other unwashed hands.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 24, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Who'd ever have guessed that Eaglesoft has given me yet another one. We all know progress bars are often useless, but Patterson Technologies has managed to step it up a notch.

We had to temporarily archive some older xray images while we sorted out a disk space issue. I'm restoring the archived files to the live system now that it's got a few TB more space available and this is a how the progress bar has looked over the last few hours:

It's looped through full and back around at least a half dozen times. However they're using the progress bar is overflowing. Also though it claims it's at 100% it's nowhere close to done. The number after the tilde in the filename is the image number, sequential since the system started. This restore was around 285k images, and some of those sequence numbers belong to ones that were deleted and thus aren't in the restore.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pixaal posted:

Certificate talk

Hey, at least you track when they expire. Back when $CTO worked at my place, we didn't.

Friday, 4 PM, sometime in 2012

:coal: : Hey, uh, this thing isn't checking in any more.
:downs: : I'll look at it!
:downs: : several minutes of sad attempts at debugging derp herp
:downs: : Oh. The server's clock was off by a day or so, and the certificate expires tomorrow. So when it tried to check in, it was getting an invalid certificate error.
:downs: : I'll renew the certificate and I'll set the server's clock a few more days ahead so we get more advanced warning next time!
:coal: : You... aren't just going to put it on the calendar? :stonklol:

When I had to renew the certs today, the vendor's webpage helpfully crapped out a "OPPS! Server error!" warning (yes, typo included) and I lost all the form data I put into it :toot:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We merged with another company and it has been a real bastard of a headache. It seems that so far the approach is basically "our infrastructure, their policies". They have a formal NOC in place. We had what was basically a loose collective of on call operations analysts. This means we now have a NOC. This is great. The problem is that this NOC, I guess they're used to calling the shots on their end or something, I don't know. I say this because I am getting emails from them about what permissions we will grant them. And for the life of me I just can't seem to get them to understand that the NOC can not decide their own permissions level.

I get emails which are like "Hi Stripe, we'll need access to this, this, this and this" - to which I have to reply "Hi, access 1 has been granted, access 2 and 4 won't be happening, and I'll ask my director about #3" - to which they'll just escalate on their side about 2 and 4, not understanding that once again, you do not have the authority to dictate your own permissions. I feel like I'm going in circles with these people and probably the simplest thing would have been to just been like "gently caress it, here's domain admins, I'm going on break" like 2 weeks ago, but here I am.

It's possible that they're used to being the main point of contact and fixing poo poo themselves instead of just passing stuff off to other teams with a ticket stating "guy called, says poo poo is broken and please advise". Try talking to them and getting an idea of what they were used to doing before the merger.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Zamujasa posted:

:downs: : I'll renew the certificate and I'll set the server's clock a few more days ahead so we get more advanced warning next time!

:allears: beautiful. Just wonderful problem solving there. I mean, what's the server need an accurate clock for anyway, logs are loving useless and certificates certainly don't rely on system time for verification. And the 'advanced warning' they'll get is that the service will stop checking in on a different day instead of the day before cert expiration.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hey new guy who thinks he's too good to do t1 support and asked me why we don't just change our entire windows based company over to Linux.

loving shower, you smelly poo poo. We literally have one downstairs. Christ, i didn't think people like you actually existed

-----

On a funnier note, i've been keeping in contact with some of the guys from the last company i worked at. Turns out they've had to fire most of their new hires because none of them can get through the day without looking at porn on work computers.

Unless they changed what the officers look like, all those PC screens face the middle of the room, its an open office. Why would they think that was a good idea :stare:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Good News: HR is going to have "the talk" with AS/400 guy. You're not fired, but you're not going to work here much longer, so start looking for a job. We will give you time off to go to interviews etc.

Bad News: They want to do it before we're 100% off the IBM. Ugh.

Aaaand he turned in his resignation in today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And now he's in the position of power because if there's no one else to run the as/400, management will be in a panic and he'll be naming his price to contract for a while.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Aaaand he turned in his resignation in today.

How could this story possibly have any other ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off: CloudFormation and Powershell and scripting

I'm working on a proof of concept involving SQL Server 2016 on AWS EC2, so last night I decided to upgrade an existing SQL 2012 server to 2016 by flattening the instance and building a new one:

- script to shut down SQL server services
- AWS CLI to shutdown and terminate instance without terminating EBS volumes
- Cloudformation script to launch new Windows Server 2012r2 box, configure it, re-add existing EBS volumes, launch powershell script to online volumes in the OS, rename instance and add it to existing AD domain, install datadog agent
- log onto the box
- run unattended installation script to install SQL 2016
- launch SSMS to attach databases
- import scheduled tasks from backup

Total elapsed time the server registered as unhealthy in SQL Server load balancer pool: 47 minutes.

Sometimes poo poo just works, folks.