Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I mean, you can do a lot with "House of Bards". And the most interesting fate magic system, imo, is "White Picket Witches", even if the approaches are "primetime soap opera."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So over in the "Recommend a system" thread the other day, the point was brought up that there really hasn't been a generic Fate-based traditional-style fantasy game at all, apart from Fate Freeport and Legends of Anglerre (which is based off two-iterations-old Fate).

And since I really don't want to focus on work this afternoon, I've kind of been thinking: what would make for a good Fate Core/FAE powered fantasy game? I mean, I know trad fantasy is the easiest genre to implement, but what would be some interesting Fate subsystem hooks to put on there?
Magic is going to be the trickiest thing to sort out I think. There are a lot of different ways to do it, and in trad fantasy you probably want it to be a bit more involved than just another skill. But its tricky to make it useful and interesting without making it overly complicated. Particularly if you want to emulate spells.

One option might be to mix a skill and stunts, and let people swap out their Spells stunts periodically. You could give non-magic folks styles or techniques that work in a similar but not identical way to keep magic types from getting out of hand.

Another good hook for trad fantasy is to have some kind of shared set of aspects and other features for the party as a whole. Whether they're a guild or a company or whatever, having some kind of charter that has a mechanical effect would be an interesting thing to play with and quite thematic.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The real issue with magic is how you want to handle it thematically. Like I wouldn't want to port a straight up Vancian or spell point system into Fate. There are ways to do it, but I play Fate to get away from that kind of bookkeeping.

That said, even though the math is a little off Dresden is still a good place to start for building a spell based magic system, for anything else I'd check the Toolkit and then mine Fate Worlds for ideas/mechanics you can appropriate/modify.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't know; I think that for a low number of spells, you could perfectly well get away with modelling one spell = one stunt and having Vancian casting. You'd have to make sure the character doesn't get more than maybe 4 or 5 spells total at any one time, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I suppose magic would be the big tripping point. I find myself wondering if it'd be possible to do a Vancian-ish style system using Atomic Robo's gadget-building system? Maybe something where you "build" a school of magic as a mega-stunt, although that'd be more school-based than Vancian.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
I haven't tried it in play, but the magic system from Aether Sea seems like it might work well if expanded a little.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Personally in a fantasy Fate-based game I'd like to have an interesting system in place for interesting magic items. There's a lot of ways this could go but I'd be interested to see something that goes beyond "when you have this holy sword you have the aspect 'Real good at killing the undead'"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I kind of like magic as somewhere between a permission-based system and Atomic Robo-style Weird Skills. Essentially, come up with some basic rules about casting spells. In the fiction, I mean. The three main bullet points of of spellcasting in the campaign I'm working on are: Magic always has a physical or spiritual cost, magic is always very temporary (a "long" duration spell might be a few hours), magic is bound to causal time and can neither change the past nor predict the future.

So, you can let players have Weird Skills that are individual schools of magic, which give them permission to attack, defend, overcome, etc in unusual ways, but your Compels on their spellcasting-related aspect and any weaknesses or flaws in their associated Mega-Stunts (if you're using those) will reflect the laws of magic. So, maybe a frost mage has to succeed at a cost if he wants to reinforce a collapsing mine shaft with ice, and that cost is a moderate consequence wherein his right hand is frozen solid by magical feedback, and now he has to try not to accidentally shatter his hand until he can work out how to thaw it out.

You can pry a lot of pretty good magic stuff out of Atomic Robo if you reskin all the science mechanics, because AR Science is comic book science, which is basically magic. There's rules for partially fractalized equipment that's basically a Mega-Stunt its own Aspects, and rules for hastily assembling similar, but usually jankier, devices out in the field. You could use that for items, but you could also use it for more complicated improvised spells or rituals.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Hello, beginner here who's applying to a Persona-themed FATE Accelerated game over in the Game Room. I currently have a Stunt: "Invulnerable" Deity that 1/session shifts -2 when I'm hit with an attack. Again, I'm new and not used to creating Stunts, so my questions are 1. if that's a balanced/fair trade or if it's too weak/powerful and 2. if there's anything more interesting that can be done with the concept, since flat modifiers aren't terribly fun.

If context matters, then it has to do with Baldr, Norse god who myth-wise was completely invulnerable to harm save for mistletoe.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheFireMagi posted:

Hello, beginner here who's applying to a Persona-themed FATE Accelerated game over in the Game Room. I currently have a Stunt: "Invulnerable" Deity that 1/session shifts -2 when I'm hit with an attack. Again, I'm new and not used to creating Stunts, so my questions are 1. if that's a balanced/fair trade or if it's too weak/powerful and 2. if there's anything more interesting that can be done with the concept, since flat modifiers aren't terribly fun.

If context matters, then it has to do with Baldr, Norse god who myth-wise was completely invulnerable to harm save for mistletoe.

In Atomic Robo, which is about kinda pulpy superheroes, you can have up to Armor Rating 2, which does what you described, as a stunt with no additional cost except for the caveat that it's a physical piece of equipment. If you want it to be an intrinsic property, it has to be part of a thing called a Mega-Stunt.

I would say, it's probably pretty balanced to have Armor 2 against a defined category of attack as a standalone stunt. So, like, Armor 2 against Magic, Armor 2 against Metal, Armor 2 against Bludgeoning, that sort of thing. Or Armor 1 against everything, which means that he basically ignores glancing blows. It's also good to narratively decide what that looks like. Is it literal defense that just lets your character face-tank attacks, or is he like teleporting short distances like a DBZ character? You can put the same thing on mental-type attacks, too, if you want to make a character that's Fearless.

However, it's not my campaign, and looking at the Fate Accelerated Rules, it looks like the normal two types of stunts are +2 ratings and once per session rules, and characters under standard rules are slightly weaker than Fate Core characters. I think, cautiously, if your're going to be limited to using it once per session, you're better off making it a regular +2 to Defend With Forceful (or Quick if it's speed-based defense) Stunt, with a name/description that describes what type of defending it is, and give yourself/your persona an "Invincible Deity"-looking Aspect that you can invoke the usual way with a Fate Point for another +2 when you want it to really count.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

deadly_pudding posted:

In Atomic Robo, which is about kinda pulpy superheroes, you can have up to Armor Rating 2, which does what you described, as a stunt with no additional cost except for the caveat that it's a physical piece of equipment. If you want it to be an intrinsic property, it has to be part of a thing called a Mega-Stunt.

I would say, it's probably pretty balanced to have Armor 2 against a defined category of attack as a standalone stunt. So, like, Armor 2 against Magic, Armor 2 against Metal, Armor 2 against Bludgeoning, that sort of thing. Or Armor 1 against everything, which means that he basically ignores glancing blows. It's also good to narratively decide what that looks like. Is it literal defense that just lets your character face-tank attacks, or is he like teleporting short distances like a DBZ character? You can put the same thing on mental-type attacks, too, if you want to make a character that's Fearless.

However, it's not my campaign, and looking at the Fate Accelerated Rules, it looks like the normal two types of stunts are +2 ratings and once per session rules, and characters under standard rules are slightly weaker than Fate Core characters. I think, cautiously, if your're going to be limited to using it once per session, you're better off making it a regular +2 to Defend With Forceful (or Quick if it's speed-based defense) Stunt, with a name/description that describes what type of defending it is, and give yourself/your persona an "Invincible Deity"-looking Aspect that you can invoke the usual way with a Fate Point for another +2 when you want it to really count.

Thanks for your help, after some fiddling around I did what you suggested and changed it an Aspect, which I think will work better. Haven't decided exactly what to replace the Stunt with, but I have some ideas.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hello Fate thread, I am glad to see you exist and are active.
Recently I got my hands on Gods and Monsters, and while I like a lot of what it does, I also find the intentions mechanics a bit confusing. Does anyone else here owns it and could maybe give me a bit of help? I don't think I'd do a good job explaining it.

e: you know what, I'm going to try anyway. Hold on.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 28, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The game uses FAE-like approaches, split into three couples of opposites. At character creation, the highest of each couple is your ascendant approach, and you associate it to one of your aspects, that is now considered your ascendant aspect. The idea is that as your god changes their ways, their aspects switch with them, so if you have an earth god that has Earth-Shaking Power (Mighty) and keep acting in a Clever way, you'll end up with a god that uses Sinkholes and Landslides (Clever). It works like this: at character creation, you place a token on the +1 side of each of your ascendant approaches on the table above. Every time you use a Fate point to help in a roll, you move the token a little closer to the +3 in the corresponding direction. Once you reach a milestone, the highest number you have becomes your mantle, and you get stunts-like power based on those.

This is the best I could do, and it's even more confusing than what is explained in the book. I am sorry.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah, you're still entirely missing my point. I'll figure it out on my own.

I've been thinking about this myself and I've been stumped for pretty much the same reason. I suspect making player resources more granular might help but it wouldn't solve the issue of some fights turning into slogs. What have you tried so far to try to solve the problem?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hello Fate thread, I am glad to see you exist and are active.
Recently I got my hands on Gods and Monsters, and while I like a lot of what it does, I also find the intentions mechanics a bit confusing. Does anyone else here owns it and could maybe give me a bit of help? I don't think I'd do a good job explaining it.

e: you know what, I'm going to try anyway. Hold on.

You're in luck -- I wrote Gods and Monsters, so I hope to hell I understand what's going on. What's the question?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The main thing is, the manual treats intention like a quick way to gain power, but as far as I understand it that is not the case; the only thing that intention influences, apart from a possible transformation into a monster, is your mantle level, and even then only when you hit a milestone, which I understand to be something that doesn't happen all that often. Considering how big a deal intention is made out to be in the fluff, I get the impression that either the crunch does not match up or I am missing something. I kind of assumed it was the latter.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 8, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
You hit a minor milestone at the end of every session, so it's not that infrequent. If you lean on your better approaches and burn a couple of fate points, you'll find yourself at tier 2 by the end of the first session. (Then you have the break in between sessions to come up with your new power.) Intention also becomes power points when it's stored in stations, and those power your tier 1 divine ability and also swap in for fate points (sort of) at tier 2.

That said, intention usually starts to build slowly -- you don't have to do anything about it to start with, because new gods begin with a lot of wiggle room. It's when you hit tier 3 and you're right at the peak of your power that suddenly you start getting into the intention-management problems.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am starting to suspect that I need to see how the system works in practice if I want to understand it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It is kind of complex. A combination of me being very ambitious with what I wanted to do, and also not having the word count to put everything in that I wanted. It went okay in the playtests, but I was running those, so.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Anyone taken a look at Blood on the Trail? Vampires+ Oregon Trail isn't an elevator pitch that really screams "Fate" to me as system, so I'm curious about what tweaks they made for...give it's Oregon Trail+ monsters, would you call it "Non-survival" horror?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

One of the players in my Fate Core game wanted to play a special snowflake Stormcaller with acid-themed magic. How does this look?

Dissolution

Melding the straightforward destruction of Inferno with the amorphousness of Flood, Dissolution has myriad ways to hurt or weaken. It is entropy made manifest, and those attuned to Dissolution can always find a way to make things worse.

Passive Effect: Caustic or poisonous gas and smoke do not bother the character.
Invoke: Corrode - When acting to ruin or sabotage, Dissolution offers strength.
Compel: Erode - carrying Dissolution with you means that things sometimes fall apart without your notice. Compel for something to be gone / unusable when needed.

Overcome: If you overcome a physical barrier, reduce it by 1.
Create an Advantage: Any barrier created with the Dissolution diminishes by 2 per exchange unless the caller concentrates on it, taking -1 to all subsequent actions so long as the barrier is maintained. Anyone who fails to overcome an acid barrier has the option to force their way through, taking damage equal to the number of additional shifts that a successful roll would have required.
Attack: Damage from your attacks ignores any armor. You may take -1 to the attack and attack all targets in a zone, but it inflicts 1 stress on you.
Defend: Acid hurts whatever it touches, and is at a -1 to all defense actions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, if you still haven't picked up the Atomic Robo RPG, it's on sale today at DriveThru for $9.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/130204/Atomic-Robo-RPG

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I've been tuned out of Fate chat for a while. Is AR still considered top-tier for getting into Fate? Or has something supplanted it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pretty much. It's a simple implementation and does a really good job explaining game concepts with pages from the comic.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Are there any other options from the toolkits or elsewhere that people recommend? Or is vanilla AR solid on its own?

I'm gearing up for possibly running a game sometime soon set in an Eberron-like setting. Luckily we should be able to shoehorn science skills and the brainstorming stuff in there, unlike my last attempt when I switched the science mode to Vocation and treated it like non-adventuring job training/experience.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd say it's pretty solid on its own. I don't really know what plug-ins you'd really need, unless you wanted to work in a standalone magic system or something.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd say it's pretty solid on its own. I don't really know what plug-ins you'd really need, unless you wanted to work in a standalone magic system or something.
Hmm. That's a possibility. Not that I necessarily want to add needless complication, but the setting we cooked up in Microscope that we're playing in has magic mostly based on summoning spirits. I may take a look at the toolkit to see if there's anything interesting there. Otherwise we could always probably model it with weird modes.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

Hmm. That's a possibility. Not that I necessarily want to add needless complication, but the setting we cooked up in Microscope that we're playing in has magic mostly based on summoning spirits. I may take a look at the toolkit to see if there's anything interesting there. Otherwise we could always probably model it with weird modes.

Aether Sea has some summoning rules that look pretty good (under the Animation Magic section), although I haven't tried them in play. Aether Sea is FAE based, but conversion should be simple enough.

There's also Fate Freeport, which has a magic system design to model D&D style spells. I'm a bit wary of how balanced it is, but it does capture the feel pretty well by the looks of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those not part of the Fatereon, Fred just announced the next seven Worlds of Adventure for 2017:

quote:

Til Dawn (by Kira Magrann): In the year 2121, nestled amidst the lush mountainous forests of Falling Water is the most progressive DJ competition on the planet: Til Dawn. This idyllic landscape where glass and fiberplastics glint white and weave throughout waterfalls and thick old trees is the perfect locale for creating phenomenal musical experiences. Famous DJ Squads come to compete for the title of the Planet’s Next DJ Superstars. To create their sounds and effects DJs wear Shells: cybernetically enhanced bodies that they can switch out and customize to create fully integrated multi-sensual experiences. Til Dawn is of course broadcast live for the most ultimate real drama possible. Competitors not only have to excel at increasingly difficult music challenges, but also juggle relationships, the public perception of their personas, and sabotage from other DJ Squads. Can players work with their DJ Squad to come out on top and win the prestigious planetary title, or will they be crushed by the drama?

Straw Boss (By JR Evans): We will tell stories of sacrifice and corruption, our own as well as the world around us. We will play members of a cult that has preserved the teachings of John Dee and expanded them. Teachings where magic, religion and science all bleed together. Each of us will enter into a pact with a Familiar. We aren’t sure if the Familiar is a demon or an angle or something in-between. Sometimes we will use our Familiars. Sometimes they will use us. The power they bring will be necessary to shore up the crumbling sands of reality where myths, both new and ancient, seek to enter our world. When people believe hard enough in something it can start to crystallize into something more, first in our minds and then in the shadows around us. We seek out the things in these shadows. We are sent to recruit them or destroy them.

Grimoire (By Lore Graham): Daemon summoning is banned in Ganseldom by religious and civil authorities alike, but that’s never stopped ambitious nobles and warlocks. As supernatural beings outside the constraints of human morality, daemons are invaluable minions when there are battles to win, secrets to steal, and coups to enact. With the recent invention of the printing press and increased literacy rates, grimoires containing the rites for daemon summoning are more common than ever. Now you too can join the ranks of warlocks, discretely selling your services to those rich - or foolhardy - enough to contract daemon summoners. But beware, as daemons’ capricious cleverness may lead their masters to downfall rather than glory.

Clockwinders (By Jahmal Brown): Clockwinders repair and reset the geo-arcane mechanics on Cadvini, or they did ages ago. The role is ceremonial these days on the tidally locked, clock-work world of Cadvini. One side is bathed in perpetual sun-fire the other in darkness and storms. Scattered across a temperate, habitable zone are pockets of civilization. They say it wasn’t always this way but for the arrogance of wizards. Perhaps, wizards are to blame still today. There are glaciers floating in from the dark side of the Frost sea destroying coastal towns. The academy at the Dawn Palace that borders on the ‘day side’ is smoldering. The stone glyph walls are melting. It is up to the Clockwinders to discover what’s amiss and set it right. They will travel across wondrous Cadvini to repair the nine clock-work cores...uh, once they re-discover where the cores are located and how to reset the clock-work devices, oh! and avoid the traps and hazards that protect the clock-work cores. Go Clockwinders!

So the Story Goes (By Don Bisdorf): Generations ago, civil war shattered your homeland. Spears, fire, and blood erased any memories of prosperity and enlightenment. Although the land has healed, its people still struggle to understand themselves and the world they’ve inherited. As traveling storytellers, you and your companions walk the old roads, trying to recover the lost wisdom of your ancestors and reunite your society with your stories and songs.

Prism (By Tara Zuber): A very small percentage of the population can travel through dreams and memories and harvest colors that are either impossible or too precise to exist. Once in our world, the colors resemble their closest analog, but the emotions and memories that conjured them still linger. It is impossible to see a painting using rhoz and not immediately recall your first love. Glasses made in these dream colors alter the world their wearers see and reveal overlaying realities. Worlds of magic, danger, abandoned cities, and alternative futures. The Lucid, those who know the secret of the dream colors, disagree over the role of these alternative realities. Some plunder the alternatives for their own profit, while others protect the thin panes of realities, keeping humans from the monsters and vice versa. Some have seized the opportunity to perfect their craft, whether that is painting or espionage. And others advocate that the colors should be shared so everyone has the same advantage. Others only care about exploring dreams and finding new colors. Join the Lucid and choose your side.

Iron Street Combat (By James Mendez Hodes): Five minutes into our past, shadow governments, crime syndicates, evil corporations, and creepy cults pour incalculable resources into hiring some lady with muscles to punch their enemies until they take can over the world. That lady is you. Iron Street Combat brings you the international backdrops, larger-than-life characters, and dynastic intrigue of Street Fighter, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat without making you memorize button combinations (or complex combat mechanics). You’ll create a stable of characters with interconnected backstories and distinctive fighting styles, as well as powerful but entangled factions for them to join or oppose—or else go up against the devil-helmed Avīci Conglomerate, the mysterious Iga Ninja, or the legendary Wǔdāng Clan. With nothing but your fists and your hunger for victory between you and the wrath of wicked dictators, ancient war gods, or invaders from another dimension, you’ll create a battle fit for an unskippable cutscene.

Clockwinders, So The Story Goes, and Iron Street Combat sound pretty :circlefap:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Iron Street Combat could be good, if the mechanics are there to back it up.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Clockwinders sounds neat and Til Dawn is supremely my poo poo. Iron Street Combat's description is laffo as all hell.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So Straw Boss is just Shin Megami Tensei through the lens of Golden Compass, right? Because that sounds rad af

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Straw Boss (By JR Evans): We will tell stories of sacrifice and corruption, our own as well as the world around us. We will play members of a cult that has preserved the teachings of John Dee and expanded them. Teachings where magic, religion and science all bleed together. Each of us will enter into a pact with a Familiar. We aren’t sure if the Familiar is a demon or an angle or something in-between.

I don't know... this one is sounding a little obtuse to me

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Iron Street is the only one that calls to me, but it's calling loud.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Golden Bee posted:

Iron Street is the only one that calls to me, but it's calling loud.

:same:

I mean, the others sound okay, but nothing about those pitches really draws me in an "I have to play this" kind of way. Then again, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because in the past I've been positively surprised by the quality of Worlds of Adventure products, so one of these might just have something to the final product that just really clicks with me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think people were looking forward to this: Red Plant, the hopeful Soviet sci-fi game is out.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Looks like a preview of Dresden Files Accelerated is out to Fate Core backers. Only a few years late!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mitama posted:

Looks like a preview of Dresden Files Accelerated is out to Fate Core backers. Only a few years late!

Is it late? I thought late 2016-early 2017 was always the projected timeframe

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Probably, they consider this a big release that justifies the production time. I'm just really impatient, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WUDANG CLAN AIN'T NOTHIN' TO gently caress WITH