Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I'd like to thank you for no longer recording feverish, Fae. As funny as this is as a one-off, I could really tell that everyone wasn't into it by the end, and it's the enthusiasm that makes me, at least, love your LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I eagerly await the next dungeon, best boss in the game. One of my top five in the whole series actually.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Well lucky you, because in true Majora's Mask Blind style, there's at least two sessions of loving around to watch before we get to that :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
That boss went so much better than I was expecting. I wanted to yell at you about the moths, since they are the only real threat Odwalla has to bring to the table once you realize how OP the shield is, but facetanking the damage was oddly effective. Congratulations on beating him :cheers:

I think the whole boss fight would be better if he just had more clear indications of damage, like different attacks only starting after he lost certain amounts of health, or faster chanting, or something to let you know that you're actually making progress. Otherwise, he's a good primer on how overwhelming and depressing MM actually is, as you started to realize on the way out of the temple.
This is about where I gave up on the game when I owned an N64, so good luck to you on your future endeavors Fae. (even though they have probably already been recorded :v:) In all seriousness, recalibrate your controller if you think you're having issues, that sensitivity is very important in this game

I have something I want to run by Artix and Chaos Argate, but I don't have PM's, is there any other way to ask you guys? I want to keep it kosher

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you're open to twitter, you can DM me if you need to. It shouldn't be too hard to find me on there.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Same, just shoot me a tweet or DM.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Copy that, thank you guys

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Odolwa is kind of a mess, honestly. I really like his look and the whole general audiovisual aspect of the bossfight, but it kind of feels like he has a bunch of superfluous attacks that never get as threatening as they're annoying and he's throwing them out with no real pattern (except for spamming a buch of moths at every opportunity), which makes the fight hectic in a bad way. I feel like he would have been better if you removed the moths and the falling rocks and just had him focus more on sword moves and made him do a half of a heart of damage in exchange.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Well lucky you, because in true Majora's Mask Blind style, there's at least two sessions of loving around to watch before we get to that :v:

This game has always been about exploration and helping people, the dungeons are less important than they were in OoT. So I'm completely fine with this.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I liked how Fae's first instinct in the Odalwa fight was the MM3D solution. I'm not entirely sure what purpose that flower serves in the original.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

UZworm posted:

Finally, the discussion can shift from what the spinning turtles' sound effect is saying to what Odolwa's chanting is saying!

He's... just saying his name??? Odol-WA, Odol-WA!

Alpha3KV posted:

I liked how Fae's first instinct in the Odalwa fight was the MM3D solution. I'm not entirely sure what purpose that flower serves in the original.

you can still stun him with deku nuts and I think also if you can get him above you when he's doing the spin move you can stun him by popping out

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You can definitely get him by popping out of the flower.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

Escaping the ring of fire?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, I honestly did not know half of the moves Odolwa has. I always beat him too fast.

I don't mean this in a 'oh look at you sucking at this game you're playing for the first time' kind of way, but more as genuine surprise at the depth the fight has. Especially that he is pretty fair about how much damage the insane amount of stuff happening on the screen does.
It's really neat to see a different perspective on the game this way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So on that topic, is the next blind LP going to be Devil May Cry?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I think the whole boss fight would be better if he just had more clear indications of damage, like different attacks only starting after he lost certain amounts of health, or faster chanting, or something to let you know that you're actually making progress.

Up to now, I always thought his different attacks were based on hitting a health threshold. I'd never realized what the deku flower was for so I'd always got a hit or two on him by the time he started summoning stuff and then a few more hits before he started the fire circle. I'm pretty sure after watching this that his spin attack is probably activated at low health, since it was the only new thing he pulled out towards the end.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I honestly forget I have a shield in these games. I'm just hyper aggressive enough to where I do more damage than I take to win. Just keep swinging if that's an option.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'd say the Oath to Order is a very patriotic song if it had been written by an American... or perhaps it was, since it's almost exactly the first six notes of the American national anthem.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The second note is a semitone below the second note of Star Spangled Banner.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Hedrigall posted:

The second note is a semitone below the second note of Star Spangled Banner.

Hence "almost".

You could sing it to the tune of the Oath to Order and I don't think most people would even notice.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh my god you guys!

This episode made me realize something.

In ocarina, sheik isn't disappearing in a flash. She's throwing down a deku nut and casually strolling away while link is stunned.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I kinda hope that's not it, because then she's been leaving you open to wolves and bats and crows just for a dramatic exit.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I'd say the Oath to Order is a very patriotic song if it had been written by an American... or perhaps it was, since it's almost exactly the first six notes of the American national anthem.

Goddammit, saw this video, rushed to the thread to be the first to point this out...and Nidoking beat me to it by three hours.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Patter Song posted:

Goddammit, saw this video, rushed to the thread to be the first to point this out...and Nidoking beat me to it by three hours.

That's pretty sad, considering Nidoking doesn't have very good base speed. :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like the Deku variations they come up with in this game; Deku Link, Deku Princess, Deku King and Deku Butler are all really good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Oh my god you guys!

This episode made me realize something.

In ocarina, sheik isn't disappearing in a flash. She's throwing down a deku nut and casually strolling away while link is stunned.

Well yes that's kinda obvious, you even see sheik make a throwing animation just before she disappears.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I just want to say I appreciate everyone's patience when Fae mentioned the proper solution (Bottle) to carry the princess, then immediately second-guessed herself and mentioned things that took wonderful leaps of logic. All that was said was, "Try things, we have time."

Also, the reaction to putting her in the bottle was wonderful :allears:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52P1HQgfFs

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

This is something that was touched on at the end of the video, when you kept despondently saying that things were fixed "for this cycle." That feeling of angst and bitterness against the futility of time is very much an intentional aspect of the game.

See, Ocarina of Time had a 3 year development cycle, and even with so much time and effort put into it, a lot of the game was left on the cutting room floor to make room for all of the polish and shine they could put onto an N64 cartridge. After OoT was such a massive success, they planned to make what would later become OoT: Master Quest to be released the following year on the expanded N64 disks, but Eiji Aonuma, one of the leads for Majora's Mask, didn't want to make the same game over again. After objecting to the Master Quest project, he was challenged by Miyamoto to make the new successor to OoT in that same period of time.

A lot of the cut content from OoT got put front and center of the new game; the day/night cycle, the more active time components, the mask effects, the races of Hyrule, etc. Even with the majority of the assets and mechanics already made for MM, they had so much work ahead of them to get such a large and intricate game done, and even more to get it running on the paltry hardware of the N64 (in reality, it was originally designed for the larger N64DD, but that periferal failed and MM had to be put back onto the more restrictive N64 cartidges, and still needed the RAM upgrade to even run). Aonuma and his team had to cut literal days out of the game, and the constant stress of the deadline, repeated reworks, and system limitations eventually drove Aonuma kind of crazy. It eventually got so bad that Miyamoto repeatedly tried to have the deadline moved after Aonuma told him about experiencing the Deku curse cutscene as a nightmare before the cutscene was ever put into the game. Aonuma flat out refused to budge on the game's release, however, and went on in his manic state.

As you saw with the forest temple and Odolwa, the bosses and dungeons actually took a backseat in development to the world of Termina, as opposed to the heavy dungeon focus of OoT. This heavy focus on the world and the people in it is especially poignant when you have to go back in time and undo your progress every cycle. As far as Majora's Mask is concerned, none of Link's accomplishments or the individual stories of the people he interacts with actually matter, it's all just tilting at windmills. The only thing that matters in the entire game is that the moon is falling to the earth in 3 days time. On the end of that 3rd day, you HAVE to be there to stop it, otherwise no one in the region will survive.

With that singular goal, the game mirrors its own development in the fact that no matter what, in 1 year, OoT would have a sequel. No matter how many hours would go into that game, if it wasn't 100% done by the end of that year, Aonuma will have directly challenged the authority of his superior, wasted thousands of man hours, proven himself incapable of performing at the standards set by the head of Nintendo's games division, and lost a lot of respect in the strict Japanese corporate culture, all for nothing.

As mentioned before, Miyamoto actually tried to ease the strict nature of the project and by the time Aonuma had cracked, the fixed release date was entirely self-imposed and most of the consequences only existed in his own head. But regardless of reality, the perception of intense pressure made Majora's Mask, and made it one of the most unique and nihilistic games of the 20th century

FakeEdit: This is cobbled together from multiple interviews, alpha footage, and decades old press materials, so it's a little scatterbrained

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The Happy Mask Salesman represents Miyamoto, doesn't he.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ooooooooooof course he does.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

That's unsubstantiated, as far as I know. However, his smile is eerily similar and based on some of the masks he carries, I definitely believe that he's based on old Shiggy Miyamoto. His face and hair in Majora's are slightly different from his OoT model, also, so that's something

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I was just thinking about the fact that he's the one who gives you a deadline at the beginning of the game. It's either the mask salesman or the moon :v:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The moon represents that rear end in a top hat who always ate the last donut in the break room.

(This comment will make sense in about 60 videos once Fae has beaten all the dungeons.)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I am so glad the temple is done. Honestly the only song I can think I dislike more is OoT's Forest Temple. Good going on the boss, he certainly was poured into that loincloth.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't have anything against a Majora's Mask without its dungeons or bosses, honestly, instead if it centered around resolving conflicts in and around the people living in the various areas to a greater extent.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nah, I definitely think it would be a lesser game without dungeons at all. Thematically, sure, they're just kinda there, but I love the actual dungeons and puzzles so much. We'll get to talk a bit about it after the next one, but I'm gonna write up a big post once we've done them all because I love the philosophy behind their design. The last one in particular is probably my favorite Zelda dungeon ever.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The dungeons add a different level of strife to the game. The fact that completing things does something to the world around you is also important.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Artix posted:

Nah, I definitely think it would be a lesser game without dungeons at all. Thematically, sure, they're just kinda there, but I love the actual dungeons and puzzles so much. We'll get to talk a bit about it after the next one, but I'm gonna write up a big post once we've done them all because I love the philosophy behind their design. The last one in particular is probably my favorite Zelda dungeon ever.
The 2nd and 4th Dungeons are probably unmatched in all of the 3D Zelda games in terms of puzzle design and thematic coherence. There are other dungeons that match one of those two categories (like the Water Temple in OOT for puzzle design and the Ancient Cistern in terms of theme), but nothing nails both so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Artix posted:

I would 100% agree with you if it weren't for the Stray Fairies gimmick. I would have preferred some kind of optional hard puzzle or finding some kind of really well hidden item for the Great Fairies. With the form changing gimmick and all the puzzles, the Great Fairy Mask is just something else that takes up a much needed C-slot. If the prizes weren't so useful (except the first one, as someone mentioned a while back), I'd completely ignore them.