Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I really like the idea of the Romulans using subjugated races from planets their empire has conquered as disposable shock troops but the Remans are the worst way to implement that idea.

It kind of has a Janissary element to it. Too bad it didn't go anywhere. It'd be neat to see one of them deal with a race of slaves (maybe a colony of former Federation citizens) who were raised to believe sacrificing themselves for the Romulans is the most honorable thing you could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Automatic Slim posted:

Romulans were introduced on TOS in 1966. A one off episode establishes canon for every show and spinoff thereafter.

Federation never made visual contact with one until Kirk hacked into their closed circuit systems. Then episode, "Balance of Terror" becomes a parable about prejudice and blind duty.

The Remans were a really dumb addition to Trek canon.

Ah, well that makes sense in a dumb TV way.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why's everybody get 7 seasons?

Something to do with goals for syndication. Past certain milestones the rights are worth more.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trast posted:

Something to do with goals for syndication. Past certain milestones the rights are worth more.

I think Syndication minimum was 3 seasons, although 5 was ideal so you could show it 5 nights a week without a rerun through the season.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

NotWearingPants posted:

So I've tried to like Deep Space 9 because people keep saying it was actually good and I've seen it relatively high on lists of good science fiction shows but I just can't like it. Maybe the overall story is good, but I hate every single character except for Quark and his brother. This show is written very badly. I want them all to die.

DS9 season 1 isn't that great, true. Here's my recommendation if you want an entertaining and occasionally thoughtful experience:

S1
Emissary
Past Prologue
The Nagus
Duet
In the Hands of the Prophets

S2
Homecoming
The Circle
The Siege
Cardassians
Necessary Evil
Profit and Loss
The Maquis 1 & 2
The Wire
Crossover*
The Collaborator
Tribunal
The Jem'hadar

S3
The Search 1 & 2
The House of Quark
Second Skin
Civil Defense
Defiant
Past Tense 1 & 2
Life Support
Heart of Stone
Destiny
Prophet Motive
Visionary
Through the Looking Glass*
Improbable Cause
The Die is Cast
Explorers
Family Business
The Adversary

S4
The Way of the Warrior
The Visitor
Hippocratic Oath
Indiscretion
Starship Down
Little Green Men
The Sword of Kahless
Our Man Bashir
Homefront
Paradise Lost
Return to Grace
Bar Association
Rules of Engagement
Shattered Mirror
For the Cause
To the Death
Broken Link

S5
Apocalypse Rising
The Ship
Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places
...Nor the Battle to the Strong
The Assignment
Trials and Tribble-ations
Things Past
The Ascent
Rapture
The Begotten
For the Uniform
In Purgatory's Shadow
By Inferno's Light
Doctor Bashir, I Presume?
A Simple Investigation
Business as Usual
Ties of Blood and Water
Ferengi Love Songs
Soldiers of the Empire
Blaze of Glory
Empok Nor
In the Cards
Call to Arms

S6
A Time to Stand
Rocks and Shoals
Sons and Daughters
Behind the Lines
Favor the Bold
Sacrifice of Angels
You Are Cordially Invited...
Resurrection*
Statistical Probabilities
The Magnificent Ferengi
Waltz
Who Mourns for Morn?
Far Beyond the Stars
One Little Ship
Honor Among Thieves
Wrongs Darker than Death or Night
Inquisition
In the Pale Moonlight
His Way
The Reckoning
Valiant
Tears of the Prophets

S7
Image in the Sand
Shadows and Symbols
Afterimage
Take me Out to the Holosuite
Treachery, Faith, and the Great River
Once More Unto the Breach
The Siege of AR-558
Covenant
It's Only a Paper Moon
Prodigal Daughter
The Emperor's New Cloak*
Badda-bing Badda-bang
Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Penumbra
Til Death Do Us Part
Strange Bedfellows
The Changing Face of Evil
When it Rains...
Tacking into the Wind
Extreme Measures
The Dogs of War
What You Leave Behind

Notes:
- most of these episodes contribute in some way to the overarching story of the series, or if not the plot per se then the development of the characters, and they're all good stories, good sci-fi, or both
- the episodes marked with an asterisk* are set in the "Mirror Universe" that first appeared in TOS "Mirror, Mirror"and as such, they are pretty silly and largely unrelated to the 'real' story
- anything omitted can be assumed to be pretty bad, but you don't have to take my word for it - though whatever you do DO NOT watch Melora, Meridian, the Muse, or Prophet and Lace as they are all utter poo poo

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I was hoping the DS9 episode Babel was going to be about the Universal Translator getting busted and everyone on the station suddenly can't understand each other. But then it ended up being about a brain disease that makes you say random words.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Look I'm sorry Kira the computer is too old/Cardassian to fix and no one is going to learn Bajoran so I guess it's the airlock for you sorry

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

DS9 season 1 isn't that great, true. Here's my recommendation if you want an entertaining and occasionally thoughtful experience:

...etc

I had watched some of it when it was originally on so I started on season three and got four episodes in

Otto - why not just fire that dude? He is an rear end in a top hat. He doesn't respect the chain of command and is difficult to work with. And he doesn't seem very good at his job.
Bjoran chick - also very lovely at her job. The dialog between her and Otto is painfully bad.
Irish stereotype guy - I don't give a gently caress about his wife's wistfulness and don't understand why everyone treats it as one of the major concerns of a deep space outpost on the brink of war.
Dax - she's hot, so + for the eye candy, but the constant "Curzon in the 3rd person" dialog between her and the captain is just loving dumb.
Doctor - can't put a finger on it but he just rubs me the wrong way.

So maybe the overall arch of the war story is good, but I'll never get to it because the characters suck and the writing/dialog is embarrassingly bad.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 23, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dax isn't hot but you are correct that she's a bad character, but everything else you said is wrong. Your brain is wired backwards and sadly it means you can't enjoy good things I'm sorry that's my diagnosis :(

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Odo: "QUWHARK! I'm watching you!"
Quark: "But I'm not doing anything." (entire warp core falls out of Quark's sleeve)
Odo: "QUWHARK!"
Quark: V:v:V

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

NotWearingPants posted:

I had watched some of it when it was originally on so I started on season three and got four episodes in

Otto - why not just fire that dude? He is an rear end in a top hat. He doesn't respect the chain of command and is difficult to work with. And he doesn't seem very good at his job.
Bjoran chick - also very lovely at her job. The dialog between her and Otto is painfully bad.
Irish stereotype guy - I don't give a gently caress about his wife's wistfulness and don't understand why everyone treats it as one of the major concerns of a deep space outpost on the brink of war.
Dax - she's hot, so + for the eye candy, but the constant "Curzon in the 3rd person" dialog between her and the captain is just loving dumb.
Doctor - can't put a finger on it but he just rubs me the wrong way.

So maybe the overall arch of the war story is good, but I'll never get to it because the characters suck and the writing/dialog is embarrassingly bad.

I'm so sorry that you are wrong about the best Trek.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Dax isn't hot but you are correct that she's a bad character, but everything else you said is wrong. Your brain is wired backwards and sadly it means you can't enjoy good things I'm sorry that's my diagnosis :(

It's no Farscape. That poo poo stands the test of time and it's got loving muppets.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Every trek's got its charms. They're all doing their own thing. I think a lot of people's misery comes in expecting your Voyager to be like your TNG. Or your Enterprise to be like your TNG. Or TOS to be like your TNG. Or

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NotWearingPants posted:

It's no Farscape. That poo poo stands the test of time and it's got loving muppets.

I meant that to read "despite having muppets" in case it wasn't clear.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I think muppets are pretty much a pro across the board. Especially if they're 'loving muppets.'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MrSlam posted:

Every trek's got its charms. They're all doing their own thing. I think a lot of people's misery comes in expecting your Voyager to be like your TNG. Or your Enterprise to be like your TNG. Or TOS to be like your TNG. Or

https://twitter.com/dinkmagic/status/454813224475430912

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

DS9 is my favorite, but this is kind of accurate.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

MrSlam posted:

Odo: "QUWHARK! I'm watching you!"
Quark: "But I'm not doing anything." (entire warp core falls out of Quark's sleeve)
Odo: "QUWHARK!"
Quark: V:v:V
Kira said "This time you went too far!" or something like that to Quark in the episode where he screws with some security check so that these people could board DS9 and try to steal Dax's slug. Yet as far as we saw there was no real punishment for him. And that's just one of his big screwups. A few episodes later he's selling a shitload of weaponry to someone (or setting up buyer/seller). Quark is a great character but yeah, Odo talks a big game and doesn't do much. Early on DS9 needed him to breathe life into the station but it seems like it's a fairly hot spot a while after the wormhole is discovered. You'd think they'd not be hurting for tenants and would give Quark the ol' space boot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Whenever I meet people irl who tell me they don't like DS9 they are always discernibly mentally impaired in some way, this is a pattern I have noticed

I really do try not to let this taint my interactions with these individuals online but it's hard not to

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nah, TNG is very trekky and does the whole scify thing well while also being full of adorable characters you come to love, and troi. DS9 eschews the scify plot of the week device that was the foundation of trek and instead established some really great characters with far more detail and growth than in any trek before, and their plots that are rarely about or solved by technobabble is refreshing as gently caress, plus the first time trek (or much TV at all) was as heavily serialized as it was.

Voyager is the worst of TNG's scify plot of the week but written so loving badly with such two dimensional and underdeveloped characters that even the best high concept scify rigamarole plots fell flat.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

NotWearingPants posted:

So I've tried to like Deep Space 9 because people keep saying it was actually good and I've seen it relatively high on lists of good science fiction shows but I just can't like it. Maybe the overall story is good, but I hate every single character except for Quark and his brother. This show is written very badly. I want them all to die.

Well, you're stupid. Either that or you're not giving it the loving chance it deserves. What poo poo have you watched and liked?

edit: You mentioned Farscape. DS9 is REALLY like Farscape in a lot of ways, especially character-wise. Yes, everyone pretty much an rear end in a top hat, but there's a lot of development that turns their crew into a family and the way the plot unfolds is terrific in each case. Truly two of the best series. Add Babylon 5 to that list, too. Hopefully you've seen that, because it's basically DS9 done with a much lower budget and with a ton of loving weird drug addicts and deafs and drunks and right-wing lunatics and a paranoid schizo all on the cast and it's awesome.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 23, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Melora is a pretty terrible episode about dealing with disabilities, and it's only good moment is when space magic saves the person shot by a phaser on kill so she can fly through the air like superman and punch the bad guy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I've pretty well purged Melora from my memory, which took a lot of drat effort and time after watching it and the rest of DS9 over and over again for years on end as a lonely teenager. Which reminds me, I should watch through DS9 again sometime soon. I'm almost done with Deadwood and it's saddening me as the episode counter ticks down. I just saw the scene where Dan and Hearst's right-hand captain beat the loving poo poo out of each other in the thoroughfare.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MrSlam posted:

Especially if they're 'loving muppets.'

Oh, I see you're a fan of "Meet the Feebles" too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotWearingPants posted:

I always wondered why he was allowed to stay on and not in a Federation lab.
He was supposedly 'fair' in the Bajoran occupation, but he still executed a poo poo load of Bajorans, or stood around and watched the Cardies kill.
And the Bajorans still loving like him?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Bajorans like him because he attempted, at least most of his tenure, to help Bajorans under occupation. Although he really should've done like everyone good-hearted and gone on a loving murderous rampage that would've left Terok Nor flooded 3 inches deep with the blood of all Cardies daring to step foot onboard the station.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

I mean Odo and Kira were supposed to be abrasive assholes. They'd just managed to get through the benevolent leadership of the Cardassians and get stuck playing second fiddle to the Federation.

Bashir was supposed to be annoying and off because it was his first assignment and he's naive as gently caress about what it means to be outside of the Federation hug boxes and working plumbing.

Jadzia Dax is annoying as poo poo though once she goes into full klingon weeaboo mode. At least there is a pay off when everyone gives her the cold shoulder after she goes off on a klingon blood debt thing.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Bajorans are useless fucks. Cardassians come and invade and all they do is march to the labor camps and cry. If an alien race tried to invade earth I guarantee we would nuke them and ourselves into oblivion.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Triggered posted:

Bajorans are useless fucks. Cardassians come and invade and all they do is march to the labor camps and cry. If an alien race tried to invade earth I guarantee we would nuke them and ourselves into oblivion.

Dukat did nothing wrong.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Trast posted:

Dukat Whitmore did nothing wrong.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Semi-Regular reminder that when the Bajorans were "freed" from Cardassian "Rule" the first thing they did was get into a bloody civil war over who got to use farm equipment, eventually turning into a coup.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After like the second episode with Kai Wynn I was pretty much on the Dukat Was Right train.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Kai Winn was the only bajoran who deserves respect. She knew how to get things done and worshipped aliens living in a wormhole. Cant ask more from a lady really.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Semi-Regular reminder that when the Bajorans were "freed" from Cardassian "Rule" the first thing they did was get into a bloody civil war over who got to use farm equipment, eventually turning into a coup.

They also cracked open a habitable moon, presumably forcibly relocating the inhabitants, for firewood.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Volcott posted:

They also cracked open a habitable moon, presumably forcibly relocating the inhabitants, for firewood.

Hmmmmm the israel metaphor goes deeper

Death to bajor

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Should've thrown the entire planet into the wormhole so they could be with their moon gods then sealed the thing. It would've saved the entire alpha quadrant a lot of trouble.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
death to the federation

death to bajor

we have this teplan blight

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Captain Picard is such a pussy

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/767104299256147968

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time