Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Waroduce posted:

If i wanted to play a real pokemon game now what are the best ones? Last i played was silver

X and Y are the newest "new" games. Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire were released more recently, but they're remakes of a game that has aged pretty poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Niantic absolutely needed to do something about the rampant cheating before they could bring in new features like trading. It wasn't just about gym battles.

Besides, the current tracker works ok if you're willing to do some thinking. I've tracked down 2 laprases and countless other semi-rare pokemon in my neighbourhood. So I can understand not putting that as their top priority.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Waroduce posted:

If i wanted to play a real pokemon game now what are the best ones? Last i played was silver

X/Y are good and have a large variety of Pokemon in them. The remakes of Ruby and Sapphire are fun and have some good additions but many still prefer X and Y. If you don't mind waiting Sun and Moon are coming out later this year.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
X/Y introduced the two best Pokemon in the world, by the way.

Luchador Bird

and Ghost Possessing a Coat of Arms

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are you trying to be sarcastic? The answer is a fervent "yes". There's no way they were expecting to hit the "not a male between 13 and 30" demographic so hard.

I mean Pokemon is one of the most wildly popular video game franchises of all time and is loved by all demographics, is it really unexpected that the mobile game would be so huge??????

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

funky not a junkie posted:

I mean Pokemon is one of the most wildly popular video game franchises of all time and is loved by all demographics, is it really unexpected that the mobile game would be so huge??????

I mean, yeah. No one expects anything to blow up quite like this did. Hugely popular fads are impossible to predict

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Lol though if you didnt understand within 5 minutes of playing this game and learning its format that ultra nerds would completely ruin it for everyone else almost immediately

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

funky not a junkie posted:

It's unexpected if you're the kind of gamer who thinks the only people who play videogames are 13-30 males

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
As a 31 year old male, I'm offended #notall31yearoldmen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Predictions about demographics aside there's no excuse for how hilariously broken the gyms are. I mean did they even play their own game once? Was this how it was in beta and they thought "yeah let's keep it hosed?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

Predictions about demographics aside there's no excuse for how hilariously broken the gyms are. I mean did they even play their own game once? Was this how it was in beta and they thought "yeah let's keep it hosed?"

This is what I don't understand

They had to have known - for a while - how their game mechanics were going to work. How did it not occur to anyone at Niantic that the gym system wouldn't be feasible for new and casual players after a month or two?

Even if the cheaters never existed casuals would be completely locked out of gyms by now anyway.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Someone in the very beginning of this thread posted something to the tune of "this game is more like a successful proof-of-concept than an actual game." that guy was right

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I got a gyrados w Bite and Dragon Pulae...thats the second est skillset right?

E: is an acid/ sludge wave tentacruel worth upgrading?

Also i got a 96% eggexcutor with confusion and solar beam....also second best moveset?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 23, 2016

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

I got a gyrados w Bite and Dragon Pulae...thats the second est skillset right?

I would go for another one bc dragon pulse is total bullshit compared to hydro pump

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Oil of Paris posted:

I would go for another one bc dragon pulse is total bullshit compared to hydro pump

So many magikarps

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Hmm... my game's getting stuck on "Cannot get data from server" and my app updated yesterday. Anyone else getting this?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mirthless posted:

It's unexpected if you're the kind of gamer who thinks the only people who play videogames are 13-30 males

No, it's unexpected anyway, because it had more users than Twitter. The Pokemon core market are young dudes, and if this had been a launch on the scale of a Pokemon game, they would have been fine. Instead, it was the biggest videogame launch ever.

Mirthless posted:

This is what I don't understand

They had to have known - for a while - how their game mechanics were going to work. How did it not occur to anyone at Niantic that the gym system wouldn't be feasible for new and casual players after a month or two?

Even if the cheaters never existed casuals would be completely locked out of gyms by now anyway.

Well this is just plain stupid. The level of experience required after 20 means that barely any players that aren't cheating are even level 30, and most of the casual players seem to be somewhere between 20 and 22 by now. You can get to level 20 in a week of somewhat active play and don't ever need to touch gyms to do so - and the attacker advantage means that a level 20 player with a Vaporeon cleans out any gym with a little patience.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah a level 20 vaporeon is definitely cleaning house against level 30 dragonites

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Oil of Paris posted:

It'd probably be good at destroying Dragonites.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
"Most of the casual players are level 20 by now"

The word casual has lost all meaning to the average gamer by this point

Now it just seems to mean "The gamers who spend 10 hours a week on this game instead of 40"

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Yukari posted:

Hmm... my game's getting stuck on "Cannot get data from server" and my app updated yesterday. Anyone else getting this?

That's the ban message.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think what people/Niantic weren't expecting was that it would be 63% female 37% male.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
It's not that 'Success!' was surprising, it's that the game shattered records in the app store and we haven't really seen such a monstrous mobile title in years, let alone from a newcomer like Niantic. You expect these things out of King and Supercell, who both have a fuckton of experience in mobile, not some seemingly random developer whose previous title was Ingress. (However, they weren't random at all- they secured $20 million in Google/Pokemon Company/Nintendo moneys to make this happen, using Ingress as the proof of concept for an AR game)

Unprecedented success was surprising. Niantic was obviously not prepared for it. I don't know how accurate their LinkedIn page is, but the company is listed at 11-50 employees there... You try dealing with ~20-25 million daily active users (this number is shrinking, though) while trying to staff up, rapidly increase server bandwidth, roll out new features, prevent cheaters from ruining it, manage a PR crisis, etc.. it's not that easy.

You also don't ramp up full time employees until you know for certain something is going to experience sustained financial success, unless you want to hire and fire a bunch of people. Relocating people to work at your studio takes time. Getting features tested takes time. Everything you want to do takes time, if you want to do it right.

Of course, this is mostly conjecture - I don't have perfect data. I just work in mobile games, and have some experience with how crazy poo poo can get when you're short staffed and did NOT expect your game to take off. Especially when the game you just launched is a skeletal, minimum viable product of the game you actually want to make. Hopefully that gives some perspective.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Spawns definitely changed again, seeing Mr Mime's silhouette third time in a row now, though no actual sighting yet...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Frown Town posted:

It's not that 'Success!' was surprising, it's that the game shattered records in the app store and we haven't really seen such a monstrous mobile title in years, let alone from a newcomer like Niantic.

Angry Birds, Draw Something, Words With Friends, Flappy Bird, Minecraft

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mirthless posted:

"Most of the casual players are level 20 by now"

The word casual has lost all meaning to the average gamer by this point

Now it just seems to mean "The gamers who spend 10 hours a week on this game instead of 40"

Actually everyone I'm thinking of just plays it on breaks from work and on the commute. They do commute by bus, however, and the bus route is full of pokestops.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

geke rowsperg posted:

That's the ban message.

I thought the ban message was "We're overwhelmed by your response"?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

endlessmonotony posted:

Actually everyone I'm thinking of just plays it on breaks from work and on the commute. They do commute by bus, however, and the bus route is full of pokestops.

Yeah that would probably help a lot

I have to get in my car to go hit pokestops and I don't live in a tiny town. :shrug: If you have to commit real time to playing this game things slow down significantly.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Yukari posted:

I thought the ban message was "We're overwhelmed by your response"?

They both are. The "Failed to get data" is more common, but sometimes you get the "Overwhelmed by your response" one instead. I think it just depends on what point in the login it gets the ban status.

Since the account is probably toast anyway, try logging in on pgnexus or something, that would give you a "servers may be down" error.

And if you legit didn't GPS spoof or bot or use that account on a scanner, might as well contest it. I have no idea what the odds are for getting it back though.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Must have gotten nailed by the last banwave. Oh well. Weird that this morning, my scanner account was still up and working.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Yukari posted:

Must have gotten nailed by the last banwave. Oh well. Weird that this morning, my scanner account was still up and working.

What services did you use that might have gotten you banned?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Spellman posted:

I think what people/Niantic weren't expecting was that it would be 63% female 37% male.

Does this mean I can meet girls by playing pokemon go, this is important

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Manslaughter posted:

Does this mean I can meet girls by playing pokemon go, this is important

I've had 3 dates with 3 different girls where we've gone to different hotspots and caught pokemon, so... yes?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

X/Y introduced the two best Pokemon in the world, by the way.

Luchador Bird

and Ghost Possessing a Coat of Arms

Every time I consider getting back into Pokemon, I see the weird poo poo they have come up with and it just makes me NOPE right off that train of thought.

They blew their chance to capitalize off a remake of Blue/Red/Yellow right now with the full 3DS graphic treatment. That's all I really want.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Hell Yeah, after months of playing, finally got enough Candy to get my Gengar.

Aaaaaand he's got Sucker Punch. :smith:

And Dark Pulse :smith:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What services did you use that might have gotten you banned?

Scanned for 1 day, then realized that that was retarded and swapped it to another account. PGNexus and blossom's pokemon viewer (only for IV checking. Never for mass transfer/evolve).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Hell Yeah, after months of playing, finally got enough Candy to get my Gengar.

Aaaaaand he's got Sucker Punch. :smith:

And Dark Pulse :smith:

I'm gonna keep pokemon with bad movesets around, in hopes that a future update adds TMs / HMs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Astro7x posted:

Every time I consider getting back into Pokemon, I see the weird poo poo they have come up with and it just makes me NOPE right off that train of thought.

Sounds like you need to chill out!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Astro7x posted:

They blew their chance to capitalize off a remake of Blue/Red/Yellow right now with the full 3DS graphic treatment. That's all I really want.

Don't worry - superior-designed Pokemon "Alive Pokeball" and "Purple Goo" are in X/Y as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no see those are simple, classic designs. just like "guy who is just a human dressed like a clown" and "whatever the hell mewtwo is"

• Locked thread