Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Luchadork posted:

I think that's just the way it is now. If she really wants to skip the swipe step, she could use the fingerprint reader.

I guess she hand the fingerprint unlock on the old phone and thought it was too slow, but I'd bet the S7 is hella faster and I'll tell her to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/22/google-moving-android-regular-maintenance-release-schedule-will-continue-using-developer-previews/

Also, if you have the Developer Preview of Nougat, you will receive an OTA (about 500MB, apparently) to update to the full version today. You do not need to downgrade to do anything. Currently, this is Nexus 6P, 5X, and Pixel C only.

Some on Reddit have tried going to the Dev Preview, getting the update OTA, then leaving the beta without data loss of any kind.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/22/google-moving-android-regular-maintenance-release-schedule-will-continue-using-developer-previews/

Also, if you have the Developer Preview of Nougat, you will receive an OTA (about 500MB, apparently) to update to the full version today. You do not need to downgrade to do anything. Currently, this is Nexus 6P, 5X, and Pixel C only.

Some on Reddit have tried going to the Dev Preview, getting the update OTA, then leaving the beta without data loss of any kind.

I'm in the beta, and had been running 7 since the last developer preview. Today I had to hit the system update, but then it updated without any issue.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Do you need a sim card installed to get the OTA?

I powered on my Nexus 6 which was running latest N preview and have yet to get the update. Using the check for updates in settings says I'm up to date. And yes it's on wifi.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JayKay posted:

Do you need a sim card installed to get the OTA?

I powered on my Nexus 6 which was running latest N preview and have yet to get the update. Using the check for updates in settings says I'm up to date. And yes it's on wifi.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Though I don't see that officially, tbf

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

RVProfootballer posted:

Though I don't see that officially, tbf

Derp, I was going off the AP article that Myron posted earlier. Guess that explains why.

Edit: Yup, not out yet for the N6. according to Android Police.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 23, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Is there a tool for rooting a galaxy s6 out there? I have 6.0.1 and don't care if it trips KNOX.

The rooting guides on forums are so incredibly shoddy in general.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It can't have been anything like 500mb - that would have taken a noticeable amount of time to download on my crummy ADSL

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AEMINAL posted:

Is there a tool for rooting a galaxy s6 out there? I have 6.0.1 and don't care if it trips KNOX.

The rooting guides on forums are so incredibly shoddy in general.

Ask in the rooted thread (phone posting so I can't get the link).

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

dissss posted:

It can't have been anything like 500mb - that would have taken a noticeable amount of time to download on my crummy ADSL

From preview 5 to N final it was a 48 MB file. From Marshmallow to N final on my Nexus 9 it was 756.9 MB.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yah, I mixed it up. It's a lot smaller from the preview to the final, where as M to N is much larger.

Also, ADSL sounds awful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Note 7 is loving awesome so far, amazing form factor/physical design and easily the best screen I've ever seen in a smartphone. Touchwiz is super improved too, I'm really happy with this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
M -> N for me was like 1100MB. Big file.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

M -> N for me was like 1100MB. Big file.
It's also like the slowest download in history, took me about 25mins despite being on a gigabit connection (though Wi-Fi is a little slower than that obviously). Then it spent 35mins unpacking the file, my phone rebooted, didn't install the update, and I'm back where I started without the update even downloaded. Stupid thing. I'll just flash it manually.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tunga posted:

It's also like the slowest download in history, took me about 25mins despite being on a gigabit connection (though Wi-Fi is a little slower than that obviously). Then it spent 35mins unpacking the file, my phone rebooted, didn't install the update, and I'm back where I started without the update even downloaded. Stupid thing. I'll just flash it manually.
I stuck hit the install button and left it on the charger. Came back and it was done. *shrug*

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

I stuck hit the install button and left it on the charger. Came back and it was done. *shrug*
It popped again just now so downloaded and ran again, download still slow as hell but it unpacked in a couple of minutes this time so maybe it was corrupted before or something. All good this time.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Why are peeps here saying not to buy a oneplus phone while recommending the latest Samsung? I genuinely want to know

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Depths posted:

Why are peeps here saying not to buy a oneplus phone while recommending the latest Samsung? I genuinely want to know

If people are going to make a mistake they're going to make the most expensive mistake.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Depths posted:

Samsung isn't going to hand you a used phone and tell you it's new.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So I see lock screen notifications are ugly af on Nougat.

e: Actually so are ones in the shade.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

chippy posted:

So I see lock screen notifications are ugly af on Nougat.

e: Actually so are ones in the shade.

Yes, that's my big gripe too. There's not a clear separation between them anymore. Also it put my gmail notifications above my Timely alarm notification this morning and I had a had a hell of a time dragging the notification down to get to the dismiss button while I was half asleep.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like em :shrug:

I think you can set the timely one to always be at the top by long pressing it

e: ^if youve enabled 'show full importance settings' in the system ui tuner

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 23, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Depths posted:

Both companies have seriously turned their bullshit around so I'd recommend either. But I personally think it's idiotic to spend $700 on a phone so OP3 is my suggestion for a flagship.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Depths posted:

Samsung has been doing OK for a long while with lots of products under their belt since then. Meanwhile oneplus...hasnt.

Of course, I still don't think the logic is there to buy a Samsung, so I wouldn't recommend that either, though I can more understand them then Oneplus.

Of course I'm the guy who won't buy a new device in the first few months after its release because I'm not a dummy and don't just blindly trust these companies to put out a good device nor do I trust reviews to uncover the worst issues.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Just don't buy an LG

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is what was keeping me from throwing my phone onto the dev preview, go Nexus 6!

Annnnd bugs, unlike I got with my Pixel C ugh. At least Wi-Fi finally turns off when I turn it off!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seriously though, some more reasons why Samsung sucks? Whats on the horizon that can topple the S7 besides the S8? Same story as always for me, 5.2" is the absolute max size I'd consider, if no SD card slot I want 64gb onboard at least, and most important of all, gotta have a great camera. How much difference does OIS make really?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

codo27 posted:

Seriously though, some more reasons why Samsung sucks? Whats on the horizon that can topple the S7 besides the S8? Same story as always for me, 5.2" is the absolute max size I'd consider, if no SD card slot I want 64gb onboard at least, and most important of all, gotta have a great camera. How much difference does OIS make really?

I think the big thing is that Touchwiz has a bad reputation (though it's reportedly much nicer than it used to be). I've never used a Samsung phone, but I think that's the common argument.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Samsung has a bad rep mainly due to previous version of Touchwiz. I've used it off and on throughout the years, and it's soooo much better now, it's night and day. The iteration on the Note 7 (I believe they're even renaming it, Grace UI or something?) is fantastic, and while it's missing some polish and still has some oddities, I think it's very good now. To me, personally, the biggest issue remaining with Samsung, is update speed/frequency. It takes forever to get Android updates, which is partially due to the carrier too. This will benefit from Google putting more of Android into the Play store!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had the S1, 3 and 5 so I guess I'm doomed to get the S7 as well but its still way too expensive. Honestly I'm looking at Xperia's and I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling thinking back to the Z3c I had before this loving X Play. Should have just got it repaired when the glass started peeling away from the body, that phone was loving perfect except I never did find the camera that great. But it was definitely the most stable and snappy android experience I've ever had and the size was perfect. But a Z5c is still $500+ CAD and its only got 2gb of RAM though I'm not sure that matters.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Old school TouchWiz is part of it, the vids showing poo poo constantly getting kicked out of memory on a 3 (4?) GB RAM phone last year didn't help (though that seems to be fixed). If the note 7 gets N quickly it'll be a legit option, if an expensive one.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

skooma512 posted:

Just don't buy an LG

Like the nexus 5x I got?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
The S6 was probably the worst phone I've ever had. While Samsung had reduced the amount of touchwiz fuckery on it, there were still severe performance issues that would pop up at random. When I first got the phone it was fast and definitely a nice piece of hardware, but shortly after I had it for a while it had random stuttering issues that seemed impossible to fix. There were quite a few complaints about it and even after a few updates it still persisted as a laggy mess of a phone. I sold it after 6 months and moved back to the Nexus platform which has been extremely good, at least on the 6P.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I never give LG the benefit of the doubt but I really liked the N4 I had and if it had a premium camera I'd buy it again. The form factor was perfect, and I dont know why details like the rubber edge haven't been replicated (that I've seen). I'd love to jump back on the Nexus train just for the fact of being on the cutting edge updates wise but for jesus sake Google, commission someone to make a loving phone that isn't the most bland looking thing on the market. While you're at it, spruce up android itself because plain white and poo poo green, whatever you wanna call the main accent color ain't exactly eye popping. Gimme some more customization at least, without having to install new launchers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Old school TouchWiz is part of it, the vids showing poo poo constantly getting kicked out of memory on a 3 (4?) GB RAM phone last year didn't help (though that seems to be fixed). If the note 7 gets N quickly it'll be a legit option, if an expensive one.

Yeah, there's absolutely no reason why Samsung can't do better with memory management.

And supposedly rumours are saying that Nougat is coming to the Note 7 within a month, so I'd say double that to 2 months.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I was hoping before 2017, but earlier would be welcomed. You figure they would have been doing a lot of early testing for one of their brand new flagship phones.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Has anyone else received a Note7 yet and noticed that calls have a tinny sound to them? I've been having it happen on the handset and through Android Auto, so maybe it's an app thats interfering or something as opposed to something in the hardware?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Have not noticed that, but I don't use Android auto.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, my Note 4's battery is swiftly dying, and I'd like a new phone anyway. I never really used the stylus as much as I thought I might, so I can't justify the new price for the Note 7. Right now, I'm torn between just going out and getting an S7 Edge, or waiting until next month and seeing what's released. Do we have any news on cool new phones coming out, or would it be worth it to get an S7E, even though it's 5 months old at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

According to XDA, the Snapdragon version of the Note 7 still has performance issues.