Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i saw people defend oskar dirlewanger because he was fighting the "reds" and those girls "were probaly whores anyway" look up oskar dirlewanger if you want to feel like poo poo for a week. that ghouel was so hosed up he was booted from the SS. so i can believe dumbshits love sundowner.

The Dirlewanger Battalion is basically proof of 'No, you cannot exaggerate how hosed up the Nazis were. Whatever you think you made up, they probably did it and it was messed up.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i saw people defend oskar dirlewanger because he was fighting the "reds" and those girls "were probaly whores anyway"

Including the babies? :stare:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

A White Guy posted:

Nate Parker was acquitted, his co-defendant had a hung jury and never got a retrial.But, if you've already made up your mind that Nate Parker is a rapist :shrug:
Just speculation here, but women don't usually kill themselves over having bad drunken sex that they later regretted.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/16/inside-the-nate-parker-rape-case.html

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

pookel posted:

Just speculation here, but women don't usually kill themselves over having bad drunken sex that they later regretted.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/16/inside-the-nate-parker-rape-case.html

11 years after the fact?

Parker was acquitted of any wrongdoing. If that isn't good enough for you, to be tried in a court of law and found not guilty, then the accusation of wrongdoing is actually as bad as the crime itself. I mean, jeez, what do you want :v:.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

A White Guy posted:

If that isn't good enough for you, to be tried in a court of law and found not guilty, then the accusation of wrongdoing is actually as bad as the crime itself.

This doesn't actually follow.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

A White Guy posted:

11 years after the fact?

Parker was acquitted of any wrongdoing. If that isn't good enough for you, to be tried in a court of law and found not guilty, then the accusation of wrongdoing is actually as bad as the crime itself. I mean, jeez, what do you want :v:.

OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson were both found not guilty so they must be innocent right

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hrm, lemme rephrase that:

Parker was found not guilty. If it's not enough to be found not guilty in a court, then just being accused of a crime is enough to consider someone guilty of it. Parker was found innocent of a crime that he was accused, but the media dragging it up is enough to try and convict Parker in the court of public opinion.

eg,
:airquote: "Parke was accussed of raping a chick back in 1999, so I'm not going to see his movie"
:v: "But he was found not guilty"
:airquote: "So?"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson were both found not guilty so they must be innocent right

Well OJ was innocent of murder, not covering up the murder committed by his son, but innocent of the murder itself.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A White Guy posted:

Parker was found not guilty. If it's not enough to be found not guilty in a court, then just being accused of a crime is enough to consider someone guilty of it.

This still doesn't follow. "Trust the criminal justice system absolutely in all cases" and "Believe any accusation" are not the only options.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

This still doesn't follow. "Trust the criminal justice system absolutely in all cases" and "Believe any accusation" are not the only options.

I'm not arguing that those are the only options.

My response was to Pooke. If being found innocent of a pretty terrible thing in a court of law isn't enough to convince you, then what is?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

A White Guy posted:

My response was to Pooke. If being found innocent of a pretty terrible thing in a court of law isn't enough to convince you, then what is?
In a country where it's practically impossible to convict someone of rape even when there's video evidence, you think a "not guilty" verdict is somehow proof of innocence? Really?

Like most people, I make judgments based on available information and my judgment of the plausibility of the accusation, not on the opinion of the jury. Most people do this with most crimes - except rape, for some reason, when they suddenly start assuming that women are hysterical liars who would choose to undergo rape examinations and months or years of being a trial witness just because they wish they hadn't had sex.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A White Guy posted:

No, your argument just implicitly requires that this be the case to be valid. If there are any other than those two options, then it is not the case that, lacking faith in the judicial process, we must believe any accusation as definitive proof.

quote:

And if you look at the post you were supposedly responding to, you will see another option than those two in action, "independent reasoning about the facts of the case." This implicitly answers your question (which you haven't actually asked until now) with, "a more convincing argument in his favor from the facts of the case."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

GunnerJ posted:

And if you look at the post you were supposedly responding to, you will see another option than those two in action, "independent reasoning about the facts of the case." This implicitly answers your question (which you haven't actually asked until now) with, "a more convincing argument in his favor from the facts of the case."
Yup.

The account of the trial I read is pretty damning. Basically he got acquitted because she consented to have sex with him on other occasions. (Seen elsewhere in a comments section: "who knew consent was like an Amazon Prime 48-hour pass?")

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Not really "dedicated" but the webcomics thread talks about them enough that whoever draws them included references to the webcomics thread in some of them

The author also posts in the thread semi-regularly. Or at least did. Despite loving the BSS mock threads it's kind gone downhill in recent times so I've stopped following it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pookel posted:

Yup.

The account of the trial I read is pretty damning. Basically he got acquitted because she consented to have sex with him on other occasions. (Seen elsewhere in a comments section: "who knew consent was like an Amazon Prime 48-hour pass?")

so basically he got off like every other college rapists gets off. bullshit technicalities. gently caress him if its all true.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A White Guy posted:

If being found innocent of a pretty terrible thing in a court of law isn't enough to convince you, then what is?

Oh hi George Zimmerman.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

pookel posted:

In a country where it's practically impossible to convict someone of rape even when there's video evidence, you think a "not guilty" verdict is somehow proof of innocence? Really?

Like most people, I make judgments based on available information and my judgment of the plausibility of the accusation, not on the opinion of the jury. Most people do this with most crimes - except rape, for some reason, when they suddenly start assuming that women are hysterical liars who would choose to undergo rape examinations and months or years of being a trial witness just because they wish they hadn't had sex.

in a country where being accussed of a sexual assault is enough to destroy your reputation forever, yes, actually, the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt is tremendously important. I remember the furor around the Duke case, and many,many,many people were internet-arguing that these guys deserved punishment from a case that ultimately turned out to be BS.

GunnerJ posted:

No, your argument just implicitly requires that this be the case to be valid. If there are any other than those two options, then it is not the case that, lacking faith in the judicial process, we must believe any accusation as definitive proof.

My point was that internet arm chair analysis has nothing on the effort of the prosecution. Those people spent hundreds of collective man hours pouring over material related to the case, in far more detail than any one who posts in this thread ever will, and yet failed to convince 12 people of those 'facts of the case'.

I'm not saying you have to accept that that happened. But what I am saying is that if a prosecutor failed to convince 12 people of the exact same thing, then why is your (or rather Pooke's) analysis so much better than their own?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am so sorry I inadvertently caused this

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A White Guy posted:

in a country where being accussed of a sexual assault is enough to destroy your reputation forever, yes, actually, the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt is tremendously important. I remember the furor around the Duke case, and many,many,many people were internet-arguing that these guys deserved punishment from a case that ultimately turned out to be BS.

My point was that internet arm chair analysis has nothing on the effort of the prosecution. Those people spent hundreds of collective man hours pouring over material related to the case, in far more detail than any one who posts in this thread ever will, and yet failed to convince 12 people of those 'facts of the case'.

I'm not saying you have to accept that that happened. But what I am saying is that if a prosecutor failed to convince 12 people of the exact same thing, then why is your (or rather Pooke's) analysis so much better than their own?

To be fair, the prosecutor has to convince 12 people beyond a reasonable doubt. The standard of proof necessary to be uncomfortable with seeing a movie someone made is rather lower.

"He probably did it" and "he should have been convicted" are two different things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Not your fault. I stupidly brought it up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
This is now the Rape Culture/Electronic Old Men thread. Mods change the title.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Gosh, who could have guessed that the Duke lacrosse case would get brought up. The real tragedy here isn't the thousands of rapists who get off scot-free, it's that one time some guys were wrongfully accused!

This seems like an odd thread to post in for someone who's convinced that accused rapists are the real victims of our justice system, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

pookel posted:

Gosh, who could have guessed that the Duke lacrosse case would get brought up. The real tragedy here isn't the thousands of rapists who get off scot-free, it's that one time some guys were wrongfully accused!

This seems like an odd thread to post in for someone who's convinced that accused rapists are the real victims of our justice system, though.

It's possible to be real victims without being the real victims.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tesseraction posted:

Oh hi George Zimmerman.

It shocks me how many people don't understand the important distinction between "innocent" and "not guilty".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh good I look away for like an hour and come back to forums poster A White Guy dropping some mad truth bombs about men's rights and how date rape is basically The Crucible, cool

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A White Guy posted:

My point was that internet arm chair analysis has nothing on the effort of the prosecution.

No, I don't think that was actually your point because you didn't bring up anything about the prosecution's efforts compared to anyone else's. That might have been one of your assumptions though.

quote:

Again, this seems a lot more like a revised and "evolved" argument made under the pressure of your actual argument getting picked apart than your "real point." Previously, you literally made the assertion that if someone is not convinced by the findings of a court of law, then clearly an accusation is sufficient to establish guilt to them. This does not immediately suggest "you don't have to accept the court's findings." Actually it suggests just the opposite.

If you were saying anything like this previously then a different conversation would probably be happening, one about a more interesting issue. One possible (and honestly obvious if you give it a few seconds of thought) partial answer, by the way, is that these 12 people were not amenable to being persuaded by the facts due to various prejudices. This is a possibility that is basically thrumming through the subtext of every single post on this subject, so maybe you should turn your attention to that rather than more of this dumb flailing?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

pookel posted:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Oh good I look away for like an hour and come back to forums poster A White Guy dropping some mad truth bombs about men's rights and how date rape is basically The Crucible, cool

Oh good lord. Now I support rape culture and men's right for daring to believe that maybe a thing that was supposed to happen, might not have happened. I guess I had better subscribe to Sargon or god forbid, Aurini and start regurgitating sexist/racist things verbatim onto my friends.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A White Guy posted:

Oh good lord. Now I support rape culture and men's right for daring to believe that maybe a thing that was supposed to happen, might not have happened. I guess I had better subscribe to Sargon or god forbid, Aurini and start regurgitating sexist/racist things verbatim onto my friends.

To be fair I was just exaggerating for comedic effect but I think you might want to at least consider why you seem more concerned with false rape accusations, which are pretty rare, vs. underreporting and societal bias against rape victims, which is super common. Not saying you are, but you're sure coming off that way.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

To be fair, dude, you did bring up the Duke lacrosse case. For all that an injustice was committed there, using it as an argument is almost always the equivalent of "I'm not a misogynist, BUT..."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the other thing with the DE:HR situation was that augmentations sort of became a go-to medical care thing. Like if you were having kidney trouble you'd just have cyberkidneys put in. Someone with a really bad arm break might prefer to replace it rather than rehabilitate the original tissue. That kind of thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

I thought the other thing with the DE:HR situation was that augmentations sort of became a go-to medical care thing. Like if you were having kidney trouble you'd just have cyberkidneys put in. Someone with a really bad arm break might prefer to replace it rather than rehabilitate the original tissue. That kind of thing.

that too. that and i dont think the augmentations themselves were that expensive. it was the insurance and the anti-rejection drug.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that too. that and i dont think the augmentations themselves were that expensive. it was the insurance and the anti-rejection drug.

If I remember right there was also an enormous disparity in quality between the quality of augmetics the rich and poor had available to them, with poor quality ones often being an active detriment to your quality of life in many ways.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

*nods*

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, the prosecutor has to convince 12 people beyond a reasonable doubt. The standard of proof necessary to be uncomfortable with seeing a movie someone made is rather lower.

"He probably did it" and "he should have been convicted" are two different things.

Hence the need for a "not proven" verdict in all countries.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Who What Now posted:

If I remember right there was also an enormous disparity in quality between the quality of augmetics the rich and poor had available to them, with poor quality ones often being an active detriment to your quality of life in many ways.

Human Revolution sorta muddled the waters by making several good looking sleek cybernetics while the original Deus Ex set further in the future had basically all the cyborgs look like industrial equipment strapped to human bodies. It also had most of the cyborgs turning to crime because they had been obsoleted by the introduction of nano-technology augments.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I know it'd be a novelty in this thread, but are any neoreactionaries or DE types up to anything worth posting about?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well OJ was innocent of murder, not covering up the murder committed by his son, but innocent of the murder itself.

wait what

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

divabot posted:

I know it'd be a novelty in this thread, but are any neoreactionaries or DE types up to anything worth posting about?

I decided to look over Jim's recent blog posts. Most of it is sort of repetitively vile, but this one amused me.

Jim posted:

About a year ago, I produced thirty liters of moonshine.

Tasted as if distilled from dead rats and kerosine

Double distilled it. Still tasted as if distilled from dead rats and kerosine.

Forgot about it for a year. After a year, tried it again. Not bad at all.

Posted in economics | 11 Comments »

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Silver2195 posted:

I decided to look over Jim's recent blog posts. Most of it is sort of repetitively vile, but this one amused me.

Home brewing is awesome. We have an instructional blog on the topic. We're perfecting the art of drinkable 20% mead using yeast intended for insane Scandinavians to make vodka starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Theory that OJ's son was the real killer