Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eh you can't enhance enchanted weapons but you can enchant enhanced weapons. Just gotta do it in order. My made from scratch weapons are still better than anything I can find (tho the enchantment buggery is definitely making it so the enchantments are starting to drop off in power a bit). I feel like I'll just give myself some enchantment perks eventually because it's kinda bull that your enchantments are forever worse than the ones that spawn in the wild.

A lot of aspects of this mod, now that I'm further in, definitely feel pretty half-baked, but the environmental design is usually pretty top-notch, which is what's keeping me playing. It actually feels nice to know that nearly every single point of interest in the map is actually of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
How does enchanting work exactly? I wanted to put +bow on something but the game says I can't put it on the item I want(fine steel chest-piece). Do certain enchantments only work on certain types of items? I didn't do any enchanting in Skyrim so this is all new to me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

joebob posted:

How does enchanting work exactly? I wanted to put +bow on something but the game says I can't put it on the item I want(fine steel chest-piece). Do certain enchantments only work on certain types of items? I didn't do any enchanting in Skyrim so this is all new to me.

Yepp. Certain enchantments only go on certain locations. I think Bow is gloves and...head?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Cynic Jester posted:

Yepp. Certain enchantments only go on certain locations. I think Bow is gloves and...head?

Thanks! I found a table that explains what I can put where. http://www.carlsguides.com/skyrim/magic/enchanting.php

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is destruction magic any good or is it as weak as it is in vanilla skyrim? I just killed the mud man in the very first tutorial dungeon and the appalling mana regeneration rate has me concerned.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

If you battled that mud man with weapons, then you'd know how good you have it.

Thread consensus is that destruction is really strong

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Mzbundifund posted:

Is destruction magic any good or is it as weak as it is in vanilla skyrim? I just killed the mud man in the very first tutorial dungeon and the appalling mana regeneration rate has me concerned.

Once you get dual casting and one of the long range spells, the game becomes pretty easy. The mud man is a huge bag of HP and not representative of most enemies you'll run into.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Destruction will eventually just let you point and destroy enemies in seconds with little strategy. It gets really good with a lot of points invested in it.

Edit: Also, how do you progress in the stealth mission in the nobleman's estate in the main story? I get inside, sneak upstairs, but there's nothing to do. I can't interact with the statue in the room, I have the golden mead, what am I missing? Or is this bugged?

Edit 2: Nevermind, all that stuff was just a decoy. Found the right way.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 23, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Okay what's the command to cheat myself up more craft points since I just invested in alchemy. :mad:

set handwerkspunkte to X

e: and for rhetoric books, player.additem e7636/e7637/e7638/e7639 for apprentice/adept/expert/master

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 23, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Look, Enderal designers, if you hate fast travel so much, just say so and don't put it on your loving game. Don't put it in, give it limited utility that you have to pay for, and then place the fast travel points 15 minutes and 10 hostile spawns away from the place you say it goes to.

Limited fast travel is a pretty common system and is a perfectly fine alternative to universal fast travel. I haven't encountered any fast travel points that aren't where they should be but it's a big, recently released mod so yeah it's gonna have some bugs and oversights. Calm down man.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'd like to note that while everyone knows they made Nehrim before they made Enderal, nobody really mentions that they did two total conversions for Morrowind too, set in the same world.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd like to note that while everyone knows they made Nehrim before they made Enderal, nobody really mentions that they did two total conversions for Morrowind too, set in the same world.

Don't tell me things like that, I'll want to go play Morrowind again and remember how much I hate the interface :(

Also, almost at the end of the game and I'd say Bioware's writers should sue.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Those of you using mods with an MCM, how are you getting the MCMs to appear? They never have for me.

Mod menus appeared after I installed Skyrim Reloaded, but disappear again if I inactivate Reloaded in MO. Something is broken in Enderal's MCM, but I haven't looked into what.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Don't tell me things like that, I'll want to go play Morrowind again and remember how much I hate the interface :(

Also, almost at the end of the game and I'd say Bioware's writers should sue.

So you're saying they should sue everyone who has ever written a fan fiction?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

evilmiera posted:

uhhh what the gently caress?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Morrowind's interface is terrible.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

objectively wrong

now gothic, that's an interface that's terrible

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

So you're saying they should sue everyone who has ever written a fan fiction?

The world would certainly be a better place if they did.

So, where's the supposed dragon in the Northwind mountains hiding out?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Mana regeneration rates are a bit low by default, so what you do is eat Mana Fungi or drink booze. Or both. You will find a shitload of wine around the place.

kuroiXiru posted:

set handwerkspunkte to X

e: and for rhetoric books, player.additem e7636/e7637/e7638/e7639 for apprentice/adept/expert/master
Ah, thank you very much!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zereth posted:

Mana regeneration rates are a bit low by default, so what you do is eat Mana Fungi or drink booze. Or both. You will find a shitload of wine around the place.

Ah, thank you very much!

That's something the mod does really well even at standard difficulty, making you gather and eat food and wine since you have to save every penny and healing via magic can be dangerous.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thanks everyone for the destruction tips. This may not be something anyone can answer yet, but how thin can/should I spread my points? I was thinking Stealth, Destruction, Lockpicking, Rhetoric, Light Armor, maybe Alchemy. Is that way too much?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks everyone for the destruction tips. This may not be something anyone can answer yet, but how thin can/should I spread my points? I was thinking Stealth, Destruction, Lockpicking, Rhetoric, Light Armor, maybe Alchemy. Is that way too much?
Alchemy apparently has incredibly minor effects, like around 15 alchemy making a 3 hp for 4 seconds potion, while 100 makes a 5 for 4 out of the same ingredients.

You should be able to cover everything else just fine. Maybe pick up lockpicking too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lockpicking is a pretty useless skill since the minigame is easy, lockpicks are plentiful and unlocking better locks is gotten from perks instead.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
this game is pretty cool. but, does the master skull even do anything?!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Andrast posted:

Lockpicking is a pretty useless skill since the minigame is easy, lockpicks are plentiful and unlocking better locks is gotten from perks instead.

Or instead of spending the far more valuable perks, you just buy Lockpicking 25 (I think?) which lets you unlock everything as if you had the perks.

One thing to note: magic skills are probably not worth taking all the way to 100. In vanilla Skyrim, magic skills did two and only two things: unlock perks, and very very slightly reduce spell cost. Enderal, being built on vanilla, only changes this by removing the first part. Putting some points into magic skills isn't a bad thing, but mastering them, even as a full time mage, is very unlikely to be worthwhile.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This probably goes without saying, but use focus every single time you even think about casting a spell. It's fast to do, has a really short cooldown, and basically gives you 30% more mana to play with.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Or instead of spending the far more valuable perks, you just buy Lockpicking 25 (I think?) which lets you unlock everything as if you had the perks.

Uh, really?

What's the point of the perks then?

ProfessorCirno posted:

One thing to note: magic skills are probably not worth taking all the way to 100. In vanilla Skyrim, magic skills did two and only two things: unlock perks, and very very slightly reduce spell cost. Enderal, being built on vanilla, only changes this by removing the first part. Putting some points into magic skills isn't a bad thing, but mastering them, even as a full time mage, is very unlikely to be worthwhile.

In vanilla merchants also wouldn't stock high-level magic if you weren't high enough level. You had to have level 40 illusion before you'd start seeing adept level illusion tomes. I guess Enderal doesn't have that feature then?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mzbundifund posted:

Uh, really?

To gate the far-more-awesome bow perks.

Seems like kind of a shame there's only a few skills actually worth leveling, though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Uh, really?

In vanilla merchants also wouldn't stock high-level magic if you weren't high enough level. You had to have level 40 illusion before you'd start seeing adept level illusion tomes. I guess Enderal doesn't have that feature then?

Books seem to be level gated instead of skill gated.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

this game is pretty cool. but, does the master skull even do anything?!

Yes, just go to that stone circle at midnight and activate the "Strang Cairn" with the master skull in your inventory.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the master skull gave something ridiculous like +2 memory points.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hm, it seems a patch disabled having given myself the "sell anything to anybody" perk with the console.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Destruction and Entropy seems like very strong skill lines, hows the alteration/restoration school? mostly just defensive support?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I've done some further exploration up north, and found a tome of Revive V inside Old Iniath, at the top of the mountain near the Northwind camp teleport point, in one of the rooms with the soldiers. But you know what's loving stupid? The regular soldiers in that area are too high level for me to reanimate, and aside from a single rat, all the other enemies are machines. That's right, this non-level scaled spell is literally useless in the non-level scaled area where it was manually placed. So much for my dreams of necromancy.

e; ofc even if I take it to a lower level area, I was already able to kill the stuff in the higher level area to get access to the spell in the first place. Even if it didn't have any level limits, I think short-duration necromancy would usually lose out to elemental summoning. Doesn't help that there was a pretty sweet elemental summon book in the same area. Fire Elemental II, on top of a chest on a raised platform in another room with soldiers.

Emy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 23, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speaking of loot placement oddities why does every searchable Skeleton (not the enemy type, the scenery) have an Iron Sword in its inventory?

EDIT: Also I am slightly annoyed that magic-focused armor sets tend to spread themselves out over every possible school of magic. Gloves? Elementalism and Mentalism! Hat? Entropy and Psionics!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zereth posted:

Speaking of loot placement oddities why does every searchable Skeleton (not the enemy type, the scenery) have an Iron Sword in its inventory?

EDIT: Also I am slightly annoyed that magic-focused armor sets tend to spread themselves out over every possible school of magic. Gloves? Elementalism and Mentalism! Hat? Entropy and Psionics!

Swords are a 1 use item in enderal. When you run someone through, you just leave it there and get a new one.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Zereth posted:

Eh, better that than 20 instances of "sweet I found some new mage armo--oh wait it's for Light Magic."

EDIT: I'm pretty sure they spread skills out like this for the heavy and "thief" armor sets as well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Swords are a 1 use item in enderal. When you run someone through, you just leave it there and get a new one.

Where do you get a replacement you might ask? From the guy you just murdered, of course! He obviously hasn't used *his* sword yet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ark Crypt is freaking huge.

Any point to that random locked door? Just seemed to be rubble behind it and he'll if I'm scouring for a key in there (though I did find a vault key that ended up having decent loot).

Sweet mod so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was just in there, but couldn't find a key. Teleport to strange place was a nice aside, though, and sweet rune sword.

• Locked thread