Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Payloads .. will block it.
Though I've seen weird behaviors especially when it's on a slope like near the last point of Dorado. I've been ducking on the other side and it still somehow killed me :mad: I thought it might have been able to see "under" the payload or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i dont really like that the common response to an overwhelming genji is 'just counterpick him ya noob' because that means that one or two people are picking specifically to handle that genji while the rest of the team can continue to play more effective heroes and ultimately win the resulting 5v4

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

No Safe Word posted:

Though I've seen weird behaviors especially when it's on a slope like near the last point of Dorado. I've been ducking on the other side and it still somehow killed me :mad: I thought it might have been able to see "under" the payload or something.

You can certainly fire under the payload. Even easier while it's angled. I suppose it depends on where on the mech the centre of the explosion is.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Re: D.Va's ult LoS:

/edit: gently caress me that's gigantic. Back to link.
https://gfycat.com/SomeGlisteningBellfrog

Kai Tave posted:

I think the fundamental misapprehension people have wrt Winston is that he should be diving into the backline and solo 1v3ing. This is how I played him when I was new to the game and all I basically did was die a lot. Even if you can get a 1v1 going you shouldn't REALLY be pursuing too far afield of your team to begin with.

Where Winston excells is opportunistically killing off enemies that might under other circumstances be zipping in and out of fights damaged but alive. Like Genji, the typical Genji engagement involves Genji jumping around, taking some hits, deflecting and jumping around some more, then swift striking out, rinse repeat. But when a Winston is in the mix suddenly that Genji no longer has as much freedom to do this because Winston severely punishes him by using a weapon that auto aims and goes through deflect to finish what the chip damage started. They can still blow swift strike if it's on CD but they can't loiter, can't continue to try scoring more hits, and IF the Genji is extremely low THEN you can decide to jump him to finish the job before heading back to join your group.

tl;dr Winston isn't an assassin, he's a zoning tank.

That's exactly my issue with Genji/Tracer when playing Winston: I can reliably make them disengage but I very rarely can kill them unless they're damaged as you said or I catch them flat-footed. If you try to give chase by jumping in a fleeing Genji it's really easy to suddenly find yourself in the middle of an enemy group without your jump up to get the gently caress out again.

(Also I'm honestly not sure if you're agreeing with me on people saying "lol just go Winston and chase him" overestimating Winston by thinking he can be an assassin or if you're telling me I'm playing Winston wrong :v: )

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i dont really like that the common response to an overwhelming genji is 'just counterpick him ya noob' because that means that one or two people are picking specifically to handle that genji while the rest of the team can continue to play more effective heroes and ultimately win the resulting 5v4

Counter-point: I don't normally like playing Winston, but I get a perverse joy in using him specifically to make sure the enemy Genji has no fun the entire game.

Also, more effective heroes is debatable. Being able to save your team from Dragonblade or subject them to fewer of them seems pretty effective to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if there's someone on the other team that's really good, you have to counterpick them regardless of what they're playing. shutting down the other team's best player helps you win

the problem comes in when you have to counterpick a hero no matter how good the guy playing it is, like how launch mccree was with fan the hammer

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
junkrat ult change suggestion: holding s should hold it in place but also rev it up, letting it zoom forward in a straight line when you release s, sonic spindash style

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Edmond Dantes posted:

Looks like the groin is the explosions core then. It's certainly not lower down or any explosion next to the payload would kill people on the other side.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Snazzy Frocks posted:

F'real. Genji's a pain in the rear end, but he's not an unstoppable force independent of an entire team. I've beaten Genji with Lucio. If your team's working well together, Genji is as much a nuisance as any other character. And if you play strategically, it shouldn't have to keep coming down to one character vs. Genji. (Double-teaming: Fun in & out of the bedroom)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zephyrine posted:

Looks like the groin is the explosions core then. It's certainly not lower down or any explosion next to the payload would kill people on the other side.

aw poo poo I've been trying to time a behind-payload crouch jump this whole time.. I could swear it'd caught my feet before

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

that gif is super fuckin' old (look at the weird font of the countdown timer at the top) and they've patched it since then so that pixel-thin signposts and stuff like that doesn't block the ult anymore.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I think the fundamental misapprehension people have wrt Winston is that he should be diving into the backline and solo 1v3ing. This is how I played him when I was new to the game and all I basically did was die a lot. Even if you can get a 1v1 going you shouldn't REALLY be pursuing too far afield of your team to begin with.

Where Winston excells is opportunistically killing off enemies that might under other circumstances be zipping in and out of fights damaged but alive. Like Genji, the typical Genji engagement involves Genji jumping around, taking some hits, deflecting and jumping around some more, then swift striking out, rinse repeat. But when a Winston is in the mix suddenly that Genji no longer has as much freedom to do this because Winston severely punishes him by using a weapon that auto aims and goes through deflect to finish what the chip damage started. They can still blow swift strike if it's on CD but they can't loiter, can't continue to try scoring more hits, and IF the Genji is extremely low THEN you can decide to jump him to finish the job before heading back to join your group.

tl;dr Winston isn't an assassin, he's a zoning tank.

The problem is that a "counter" usually does more than just lower the enemy's damage somewhat. Causing Genji to be more careful about using his cooldowns and limiting the amount of time he can run around in the middle of your entire team is kind of a crappy payoff to spend an entire character slot on. Winston can push Genji away, sure, but Genji still gets to deal damage, build ult, and maybe grab a kill or two before withdrawing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
imagine an overwatch where genji and hanzo didn't exist...

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

imagine an overwatch where genji and hanzo didn't exist...

Ah, two bombs WAS enough after all.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Genji needs more nerfs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Winston does more than just countering Genji. He's absolutely Genjis best counter, but you're not sacrificing a slot on your team to use him. You can also wreck their supports, squishy dpsers, and help your team via bubble.

Whole lotta people undervaluing a good scientist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

winston is, and has always been, one of the best heroes in the game

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

he's just tremendously boring to play compared to say Roadhog/Zarya/D.Va and lacks the visceral enjoyment of clubbing someone to death as Reinhardt

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that a "counter" usually does more than just lower the enemy's damage somewhat. Causing Genji to be more careful about using his cooldowns and limiting the amount of time he can run around in the middle of your entire team is kind of a crappy payoff to spend an entire character slot on. Winston can push Genji away, sure, but Genji still gets to deal damage, build ult, and maybe grab a kill or two before withdrawing.

Winston is good for more than just that, is the thing. It's not like his sole purpose is to mildly annoy Genji, Winston is actually a pretty solid character that's been a staple of comp play. It's not like someone is recommending you try going Mei or something. Getting to bust Genji's chops is one benefit of going Winston but far from the only one.

Re: not killing Genjis with Winston, at the end of the day other people need to be shooting the Genji too. A counter pick doesn't inherently mean "it's now your sole responsibility to 1v1 this guy to death," counterpicking is meant to make it easier for your team to deal with something as a whole. Like if it's a Reaper giving you grief it's not one person's responsibility to be the dedicated Anti-Reaper but you might still go McCree to make the team's job of handling him easier. It's the same with Winston and Genji, having a Winston doesn't mean "ah, now Genji should insta-lose," it means your team should have an easier time of dealing with him whether it's because you finish him off with your lightning gun or force him to blow swift strike bugging out early or what.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MacheteZombie posted:

Winston does more than just countering Genji. He's absolutely Genjis best counter, but you're not sacrificing a slot on your team to use him. You can also wreck their supports, squishy dpsers, and help your team via bubble.

Nah that's Roadhog / McCree. He's not his easiest counter, either, that's "Zenyatta plus everyone turns around and shoots him because they have situational awareness and can react within six seconds."

Winston is a good complement to either of these plans, and like most Genji counters is also just a really good hero in his own right. This isn't exactly "pick Mei to completely bone D. Va" territory.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Genji can reflect both of those characters and has the mobility to freely disengage. Winston negates both of those.

I 100% agree that the absolute best thing is a team focus once Genji has made his move near the group

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Genji can reflect both of those characters and has the mobility to freely disengage. Winston negates both of those.

I 100% agree that the absolute best thing is a team focus once Genji has made his move near the group

He can, but if they're good, he won't. I say "best" because if they pull it off they'll instantly delete Genji and waste at least half his ult bar instead of just making him gently caress off, plus it only takes one character so you can do it just by being good enough even in QP or wherever.

(And I'm totally on board with "it should waste all of it" because the way it works now, and to a lesser extent even how it works on PTR creates perverse incentives not to shoot the screaming Japanese robot-man as soon as possible and that's just bad design.)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've found Winston less to play now since there's a lot of Ana + Zenyatta around in QP. It was way more fun to jump into squishies when no one was going to put you to sleep and/or give you a double whammy of debuffs.

People are definitely getting the hang of those tranq darts with Ana. I had on on my team yesterday who cancelled two High Noons and two Roadhog + Ana combos in one match. What a god.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 23, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Zenyatta as a counter isn't so much about him personally fighting the Genji; it's just that being able to handicap The Good Player on the enemy team is always useful, no matter which hero they are.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Zenyatta as a counter isn't so much about him personally fighting the Genji; it's just that being able to handicap The Good Player on the enemy team is always useful, no matter which hero they are.

I think he was talking about Roadhog (you can't reflect the hook and drag Roadhog to Genji, as hilarious as that would be, but you can stop it cold) and McCree (flashbang is perfectly reflectable.)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm in a agreement, but when I jumped in this convo it was about which single hero best combats genjis and for the average player Winston gives you the most bang for your buck.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think he was talking about Roadhog (you can't reflect the hook and drag Roadhog to Genji, as hilarious as that would be, but you can stop it cold) and McCree (flashbang is perfectly reflectable.)

As a mccree I'd really appreciate if blizz shrank the reflect hit box a bit. I'm always told throw your fb above him or to the side but I can't find that magic spot I guess.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

As a mccree I'd really appreciate if blizz shrank the reflect hit box a bit. I'm always told throw your fb above him or to the side but I can't find that magic spot I guess.

Yeah, I'd say that falls under the same heading as "good god no don't reverse the projectile hitbox change." Powerful abilities should require some finesse to aim.

It should be fairly difficult for both parties, though; figuring out how to toss the flashbang over Rein's shield was a great eureka moment, and that sort of thing would be lost if it were too easy. There's wiggle room in there.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

There's some weird Sombra stuff going on in the forums:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748794686

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Manatee Cannon posted:

winston is, and has always been, one of the best heroes in the game
:agreed:

If the other teams not running a Reaper he's usually a good pick.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
7 placement matches into this PTR, I'm 1-6. Of those 6, literally 5 were because some jackass dropped about halfway into the first point. I am so, so very tilted. I'm gonna place in loving bronze or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Winston is indeed fun as hell to play despite the fact that his ultimate is a big wet fart.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Away all Goats posted:

Winston is indeed fun as hell to play despite the fact that his ultimate is a big wet fart.

His ultimate is the best way to punch people off a cliff. :colbert:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Ana boosted angry monkey

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

As a fledgling Winston player, I'm enjoying having a glass cage which I can use to observe enemy ultimates.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mccree is not a counter to genji at all

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Away all Goats posted:

Winston's ult is perfect for what he does (disruption and displacement) and it's also a full heal that doubles your HP and gives you huge knockback. It's... Good. I wish the angry gorilla swings did a little more damage though.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

mcvey posted:

Ana boosted angry monkey

This is a waste of an Ana ult though IMO.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DrSeRRoD posted:

There's some weird Sombra stuff going on in the forums:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748794686

This is awesome. I love poo poo like this. Can't wait for people to decode whatever this is in about ten minutes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roadhog, Reinhardt, S76, Reaper, and Pharah take priority for my ult when I'm playing Ana.