Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kids have to pay for lunch in American schools? This suddenly explains all the references to beating up nerds for their lunch money.

Where I'm from, parents just pay a lump sum at the start of the school year and kids never need to bring any money to school for any reason whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Welcome to America, where kids have to pay for their own lunch and we still try to call pizza a vegetable.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Kids have to pay for lunch in American schools? This suddenly explains all the references to beating up nerds for their lunch money.
What else did you think lunch money was for? Something other than money for lunch?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Back in my day my school used a whole system where you'd put money into your lunch account and you'd charge to it using your school ID card. A bunch of times I would run out and I'd end up going hungry for a few days, not because my family was poor or anything, but because I was very forgetful and put very little value on my own personal wellbeing.

Most schools have welfare systems in place where kids who can't afford to pay for lunch will get meals provided for them, but if you can pay, generally you have to pay (or rather, your parents have to).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ofaloaf posted:

What else did you think lunch money was for? Something other than money for lunch?

I figured it was for kids who didn't eat at the school canteen/cafeteria and instead went out to buy a sandwich or something at some nearby shop? It was pretty common when I was in school.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Welcome to America, where kids have to pay for their own lunch and we still try to call pizza a vegetable.

Technically, pizza is a fruit.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I figured it was for kids who didn't eat at the school canteen/cafeteria and instead went out to buy a sandwich or something at some nearby shop? It was pretty common when I was in school.

Lol around here students technically aren't allowed to leave school campus during lunch until they're in the last year of high school

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well I mean with a thick enough tomato sauce...

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Xun posted:

Lol around here students technically aren't allowed to leave school campus during lunch until they're in the last year of high school

if even then. though tbf my highschool was closed campus on a highway across from an airport and next to like two different strip clubs, so it's understandable.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

SlothfulCobra posted:

Back in my day my school used a whole system where you'd put money into your lunch account and you'd charge to it using your school ID card. A bunch of times I would run out and I'd end up going hungry for a few days, not because my family was poor or anything, but because I was very forgetful and put very little value on my own personal wellbeing.

Yeah this is basically what we did. I am fascinated by the tales of you outlanders and your decadent out of school lunches

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

SlothfulCobra posted:

Back in my day my school used a whole system where you'd put money into your lunch account and you'd charge to it using your school ID card.

oysters rockefeller over here with a credit card school id

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

We had rotating takeout from local businesses each day of the week so you'd have subs monday, burritos tuesday, et cetera.

School clubs handled actually selling the food when it came in, and got the profits from the day as club funding (clubs that needed more money got more days scheduled). Club members got a free lunch for helping out.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Here in Norway school lunch involves bringing packed food from home, generally consisting of a few slices of bread with some sort of basic topping, as is tradition. :norway:

It's bad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tunicate posted:

Well I mean with a thick enough tomato sauce...

Then it would be a fruit.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
When I was in high school you could elect to go to a vocational college, which I did. The time you had to be there didn't mesh with the schools actual lunchtime so you skipped the last 20 minutes of the class and had an early lunch so you could eat and be on time for the bus. However if you drove to school you could then drive to the college and grab something to eat on the way there. My uncle owned a Subway sandwich shop between the high school and the college so in those two years I had to have eaten at least 300 subway sandwiches.

Going to school in a rural area means a poor education but also they just don't give a gently caress a lot of the time.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-140

it's not fair, 「King Crimson」

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Isaac sound like he has legitimate mental health issues and needs a therapist and counselor. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like the kid in akatsuki robes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

where I'm from we call that kinda robe a t-shirt

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

where I'm from we call that kinda robe a t-shirt

Depends on how husky you are.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Somebody get that kid a copy of Moby Dick.

e/ Isaac I mean

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 23, 2016

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

Somebody get that kid a copy of Moby Dick.

Haha, nice.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel an affinity with the fat, bespectacled child playing Magic the Gathering.

I also feel sorry for Isaac. As ridiculous as he is, it really does sound like he needs help, or at least an healthy way to process his negative emotions.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope the fictional child gets therapy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hopefully from an equally fictional therapist.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hopefully from an equally fictional therapist.

Hopefully from a competent, non-malicious fictional therapist.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think there are any competent fictional person in that fictional world.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Who What Now posted:

Isaac sound like he has legitimate mental health issues and needs a therapist and counselor. :(
Or he's a teenager. Do none of you remember being a teenager. Apart from the "There's a ghost in my head" part, everything Isaac has said on this page is pure teenager.txt

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sure, I remember being an angry teenager perfectly.

I had a therapist. :colbert:

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Well, he kinda those have a therapist in the form of the Doorman. And it does seem like the Doorman does help with some of the problems Isaac has. Though, we also know that the Doorman serves a master of questionable intent, and may end up influencing Isaac down a wrong path.

Do you guys think Isaac's problem has been somehow enhanced by his spirit? Cause from what we know, a tool and a medium starts taking on physical aspects of the spirit. What if mediums start taking on some personality aspects of the spirit?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh for sure.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Splicer posted:

Or he's a teenager. Do none of you remember being a teenager. Apart from the "There's a ghost in my head" part, everything Isaac has said on this page is pure teenager.txt

I got hella sadbrains, so I'm not a good person to ask this question to. :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Issac is really stuck in that Vegeta-phase of his right now.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

I refuse to believe that was not deliberate considering, well, this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I refuse to believe that was not deliberate considering, well, this.

Now that's a face I can really open up to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Such rage

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Who What Now posted:

Now that's a face I can really open up to.

Which one

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i believe a spirit-based Columbine-style massacre is inevitable

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lWAhwGPilU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

wokow6 posted:

Do you guys think Isaac's problem has been somehow enhanced by his spirit? Cause from what we know, a tool and a medium starts taking on physical aspects of the spirit. What if mediums start taking on some personality aspects of the spirit?

Keep an eye on Max in case he goes feral and starts eating scrap metal, then we'll know.

Although more seriously, having a live-in spirit creature could easily influence your thoughts without having it be some kind of magical side-effect - if they're a passenger and witness to everything you do and you can hold private conversations with them whenever, that's going to have some kind of an impact. It'd make going to the bathroom a whole lot more awkward, for a start.