Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

owls or something posted:

You could drop down to an i3 to save some money, but the i5-6600 or i5-6500 is defiantly the sweet spot and worth buying. Your i5-6600/DDR4-2133/GTX1060 combo will serve you well for a few years. Sure, you could potentially stretch that out further by a year or so by getting overclocking stuff, but if you're not "in to it" then don't bother. It's an enthusiast thing, and you won't miss it unless you enjoy it. I don't get why some people have to always try to convince others to overclock.

I think it's worthwhile to mention that you can make your CPU around a third faster at both single- and multi-threaded tasks for an additional investment of $100 or less. Not only is that a pretty good tradeoff versus the comparably expensive option of buying an i7 instead of an i5, but it's really the only way to get to that level of single threaded (or 4-threaded, perhaps) performance which is likely to be a limiting factor in the useful life of a gaming system. That's the only reason I said anything. If you still don't want to do it that's fine but I don't feel like I am exaggerating the situation by saying that the costs are reasonable, the benefits are significant and the risks are very low.

With Intel desktop processors only getting better by around 10% per year at this point for many tasks, by getting 30-40% additional performance you are effectively skipping ahead a few years. Again, if I had decided to save $50-75 by getting a normal Sandy Bridge quad in 2011 then I would have probably spent an additional $300-400 in the past couple years on updating to Haswell or Skylake. Just an anecdote, but I think it should be clear that a 4.4GHz 2500K isn't that much worse than a 3.3-3.9GHz 6600 for most tasks and could even be better for some. We might be on the edge of some kind of substantial leap in what's available with Zen or Kaby Lake, but that would invalidate an investment in a non-overclocking Skylake just as much.

Bluemillion posted:

Uh, wait, the 6600k is actually less than the 6600. That's wierd. I really didn't want to spend the extra cash on an aftermarket cooler. I've never really tried overclocking before, I didn't want to risk damaging expensive hardware to squeeze out a few extra FPS. I could stretch a bit more, but then I'd be tempted to stretch a bit more somewhere else in the build, and end up spending two grand before it's all over. I think I'll just go with 2133 RAM. Maybe I could go for a cheaper processor?

You don't have to mess with voltage at all, which is the only way that you can damage anything as long as there's adequate cooling. My 2500K overclock from 3.3GHz to 4.4 was done by just popping into EFI and setting the multiplier up from 33 to 44. It only uses a bit more power than it would at stock settings, and never gets anywhere near risky levels with a $25 Hyper 212. Skylake quads produce a similar amount of heat.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So I waited a while for those new video cards to come out, what should I change in this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VBN23F

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

effectual posted:

So I waited a while for those new video cards to come out, what should I change in this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VBN23F

I'd change the video card to a $250 1060 and the ssd to a Samsung 850 evo for $170. It will be a little bit better and cost a little bit less.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

agwho posted:

Anything outrageously wrong with this? I'm looking to spend about CAD 1,500, before monitor and peripherals. My target is a gaming machine that'll run new games well at around 1080 for the next three years or so. I'd like it to have a relatively small profile--in terms of size, sound, and heat. No desire to overclock.

Use: Gaming, primarily. Will also be used for academic work.
Budget: CAD 1,500 (w/ tax)
Specific Software: Office (hahaha)
Resolution: Not yet known. Have my eye on the 1900x1200 24'' Dells.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($255.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: *ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($39.98 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: *Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($114.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1280.88

RAM speed is locked at 2133MHz with an H motherboard, so there's no point in getting DDR4-2400.

Other than that I don't see much wrong with it, I would personally always go for a gold-rated PSU, but bronze should be good enough. If you're not going to be overclocking 650W might also be more than you really need, but not by a huge amount.

The 1060 is a good card for 1080p60Hz gaming. It's only in a handful of the newest games that you will see FPS below 60 on the highest settings.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 23, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Bluemillion posted:

Uh, wait, the 6600k is actually less than the 6600. That's wierd. I really didn't want to spend the extra cash on an aftermarket cooler. I've never really tried overclocking before, I didn't want to risk damaging expensive hardware to squeeze out a few extra FPS. I could stretch a bit more, but then I'd be tempted to stretch a bit more somewhere else in the build, and end up spending two grand before it's all over. I think I'll just go with 2133 RAM. Maybe I could go for a cheaper processor?

An aftermarket cooler is $25, fast RAM is all of $10 more expensive than the cheapest set you can buy and a Z170 motherboard right now (the one I have, in fact) is about $10 more than the usual recommended baseline of B150/H170 and only $30 more than the H110 bottom of the barrel. I think it's worth considering.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

owls or something posted:

I don't get why some people have to always try to convince others to overclock.
It's literally free performance.
It's also so easy in 2016 you would be hard-pressed to find a reason not to do it.
You don't need to be 'into it' to simply have your mobo auto-optimise to your existing cooler capacity and voltage setting, which is effectively zero risk, zero config, for about 10-15% gain on most boards and chips.

You don't need to play around and find the exact Mhz the system can't be stress tested at. Turning down what can amount to a whole generation of performance gains for free isn't a logical argument. If you do later want to bleeding-edge it instead of re-buying CPU/mobo/ram you can swap that entire investment for about an hour of tweaking.

If someone's budget allows for a k-CPU it is absolutely the #1 thing to recommend as it is the component that will be the 'systems' lifespan for most people, and expanding that by a year or more is a no-brainer.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any recommendations for a mini itx tower, i've specced up a PC for my dad

450W Seasonic G Series, 80PLUS Gold, 1x120mm, ATX, PSU
be quiet! Pure Rock Compact Single Tower CPU Cooler, 4 Heatpipes, 1x120mm Silence-Optimised PWM Fan, 130W TDP, Intel/AMD
Intel Core i5 6500, S 1151, Skylake, Quad Core, 3.2GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache, 1050MHz GPU, 32x Ratio, 65W, CPU
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Red, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
ASRock H170M-ITX/AC, Intel H170, S 1151, DDR4, SATA3 6Gbps, mSATA, Dual GbE, WiFi 802.11ac + BT4.0, USB 3.0, Mini ITX
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE2 OC 6GB GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card, 1280 Core, 1556MHz GPU, 1771MHz Boost

I went through some cases with him but he doesn't like the cube look, so it looks like a choice of a fractal define nano s or a phanteks enthoo evolv itx. Anyone used either of these cases?

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VKrXHN
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VKrXHN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.39 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $499.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-23 09:20 EDT-0400

I built this computer earlier this summer based on advice here.

I was told to wait for the rx480 video card that was coming out. It has been sold out for a while. Others said there will be different versions in August.

My question is: Is there a card around now that I should get or shall I keep waiting? (was looking at $200 price range)

Thanks

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

track day bro! posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a mini itx tower, i've specced up a PC for my dad

450W Seasonic G Series, 80PLUS Gold, 1x120mm, ATX, PSU
be quiet! Pure Rock Compact Single Tower CPU Cooler, 4 Heatpipes, 1x120mm Silence-Optimised PWM Fan, 130W TDP, Intel/AMD
Intel Core i5 6500, S 1151, Skylake, Quad Core, 3.2GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache, 1050MHz GPU, 32x Ratio, 65W, CPU
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Red, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
ASRock H170M-ITX/AC, Intel H170, S 1151, DDR4, SATA3 6Gbps, mSATA, Dual GbE, WiFi 802.11ac + BT4.0, USB 3.0, Mini ITX
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE2 OC 6GB GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card, 1280 Core, 1556MHz GPU, 1771MHz Boost

I went through some cases with him but he doesn't like the cube look, so it looks like a choice of a fractal define nano s or a phanteks enthoo evolv itx. Anyone used either of these cases?

I have the Define Nano S. I like it, feels fairly "premium". As far as it being a good mITX case... it is kind of big and sort of defeats the purpose of using mITX.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

UnhealthyJoe posted:

I was told to wait for the rx480 video card that was coming out. It has been sold out for a while. Others said there will be different versions in August.

My question is: Is there a card around now that I should get or shall I keep waiting? (was looking at $200 price range)

Thanks

A 4GB RX 470 is in that price range and a fairly small downgrade from an RX 480.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Just plugged a new GTX 750 Ti to my 7 year old desktop I "upgraded" with a q6600 3 or 4 years ago. Happy i bought a quality PSU back then, everything still runs fine and I can again play new games :haw:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Khablam posted:

If someone's budget allows for a k-CPU it is absolutely the #1 thing to recommend as it is the component that will be the 'systems' lifespan for most people, and expanding that by a year or more is a no-brainer.
I got at least an extra year out of my first generation i5 by overclocking, it would have felt like new if I didn't have a brand new Dell Precision at work to compare it to.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

HMS Boromir posted:

An aftermarket cooler is $25, fast RAM is all of $10 more expensive than the cheapest set you can buy and a Z170 motherboard right now (the one I have, in fact) is about $10 more than the usual recommended baseline of B150/H170 and only $30 more than the H110 bottom of the barrel. I think it's worth considering.

Uh, this is actually really reasonable. Huh.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Prices have changed on some of those parts in the meantime because all is chaos but in general the jump to an overclocking build is well under $100. Just make sure your chosen case can fit that cooler (it's on the taller side, 160mm) and you're off to the races. If you need a smaller one the Cryorig H7 (145mm) comes highly recommended and isn't hugely more expensive. The Freezer i32 (150mm) I bought for precisely that height issue is also cheap right now, it handles my 6600K fine.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 23, 2016

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

A 4GB RX 470 is in that price range and a fairly small downgrade from an RX 480.

That does sound good but with the hype for the RX 480 sounded like I should hold out. Do you think in the next month or so they will be more readily available?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep seeing people listing $100 versions of Windows. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what's stopping someone from buying this?

http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-3264-bit-oem-key-dl/13/709747?ad=111828625688&gclid=COGglvuk2M4CFUYbgQodGiwM6Q

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

UnhealthyJoe posted:

That does sound good but with the hype for the RX 480 sounded like I should hold out. Do you think in the next month or so they will be more readily available?

Do you specifically want AMD for a certain reason? If not just get a GTX 1060.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

HMS Boromir posted:

Prices have changed on some of those parts in the meantime because all is chaos but in general the jump to an overclocking build is well under $100. Just make sure your chosen case can fit that cooler (it's on the taller side, 160mm) and you're off to the races. If you need a smaller one the Cryorig H7 (145mm) comes highly recommended and isn't hugely more expensive. The Freezer i32 (150mm) I bought for precisely that height issue is also cheap right now, it handles my 6600K fine.

Is there an easy way to tell if the cooler master 212 evo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
will fit into this Phanteks Eclipse? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854030

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm wondering how important upgrading is for my pc. I've got an i5 4570, 8gb of ram that idk the speed of and a geforce gtx 760. Mostly interested in upgrading the graphics card but wondering if i need to upgrade any of the rest too. I'm playing the new deus ex on medium and its running fairly smooth so far. Doom i had to run on low or the game would just freeze randomly on high/medium despite running fine most of the time. Dark souls 3 had a fair amount of slow down in certain areas. I don't much care about having best graphics available but would like a nice frame rate but when i look at prices it seems like very little difference between what i've got an a 960/70

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Noticed a fair bit of slowdown/chugging even on Medium in the new Deus Ex game today when I tried to play it. As in 'enough that it would be near-unacceptable to play'.

I put together this machine last November with some mildly outdated info/parts. Anyone wanna help me ballpark what it'll take to get me on High settings in Deus Ex/a bunch of other games for the next couple years?

Speccy screencap:

Probably looking at upgrading to a GTX 1080 and the 6600K, but I'm not sure if my mobo's compatible with that or if I'm looking at a full overhaul here.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 23, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Bluemillion posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if the cooler master 212 evo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
will fit into this Phanteks Eclipse? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854030

The listed CPU cooler clearance for that case is precisely 160mm. This review says it's fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Monathin posted:

Noticed a fair bit of slowdown/chugging even on Medium in the new Deus Ex game today when I tried to play it. As in 'enough that it would be near-unacceptable to play'.

I put together this machine last November with some mildly outdated info/parts. Anyone wanna help me ballpark what it'll take to get me on High settings in Deus Ex/a bunch of other games for the next couple years?

Speccy screencap:

Probably looking at upgrading to a GTX 1080 and the 6600K, but I'm not sure if my mobo's compatible with that or if I'm looking at a full overhaul here.

your pc is much better than mine. Updated the drivers since getting the game? Mine crashed to desktop before I did that

edit: that ram is a lot slower than mine though

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

edit: that ram is a lot slower than mine though

That's the clock speed, you double it to get the usual quoted speed (DDR3-1600).

I'd guess driver issues followed by maybe needing 16 gigs of RAM, though since Jose didn't mention quantity I'm guessing they're running it with 8 GB. Benchmarks say you should be getting 55 FPS average with drops no lower than 40, assuming a (very likely) GPU bottleneck.

EDIT: At 1080p. Any higher and you should probably just buy a 1070/1080. CPU is very unlikely to need upgrading either way.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 23, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I have 8gb. I've got the game installed on an SSD fwiw too. I assume my i5 4570 will last a lot longer than the graphics card and thats all I need to upgrade really right? Would just like something that can mostly handle high settings for a few years

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jose posted:

Yeah I have 8gb. I've got the game installed on an SSD fwiw too. I assume my i5 4570 will last a lot longer than the graphics card and thats all I need to upgrade really right? Would just like something that can mostly handle high settings for a few years

Grab a 1070 or a 1080 and be set. The 1070 is roughly twice as powerful as the 970, neraly equivalent to the 980ti.

The 1080 is probably overpriced in terms of perf/dollar, but it is the most powerful GPU on the market right now.

With the exception of the hilarious $1200 Pascal Titan, which is just dumb.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd prefer not to spend quite so much money. Was hoping for around £250 max while amazon is quoting £400+ for the 1070. Guess its worth just waiting a while longer then?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
A 6 GB 1060 would be double your current performance for sub-£250, though you'll have to sacrifice the "high settings" part sooner than with a 1070.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If i can get the best part of 3 years out of it then I don't mind since i'd be building a brand new pc by then if the CPU/ram are good to go otherwise

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If history is any indication you'll be waiting a year and a half to get anything better at that price point, so if you're looking for an upgrade you might as well get it now. There's a pretty good chance you'll want 16 GB of RAM sooner than you'll want a new CPU so that's another upgrade you could look at.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 23, 2016

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

HMS Boromir posted:

That's the clock speed, you double it to get the usual quoted speed (DDR3-1600).

I'd guess driver issues followed by maybe needing 16 gigs of RAM, though since Jose didn't mention quantity I'm guessing they're running it with 8 GB. Benchmarks say you should be getting 55 FPS average with drops no lower than 40, assuming a (very likely) GPU bottleneck.

EDIT: At 1080p. Any higher and you should probably just buy a 1070/1080. CPU is very unlikely to need upgrading either way.

Is that 55 FPS on Medium, presumably? Ideally i'd like to run it on High or Very High (since Very High and Ultra are different specs), I can give it a try on medium to see if it stops hitching for me, but it was really slow.

But I suppose I can shell out for the 1070/1080 here within a few months, presuming I can tighten my belt a bit, if you think I'm running into a bottleneck on the GPU.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
On Medium, yes. It's definitely a GPU bottleneck, going by this chart your CPU should basically never drop below 60 on Very High.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jose posted:

If i can get the best part of 3 years out of it then I don't mind since i'd be building a brand new pc by then if the CPU/ram are good to go otherwise

The 970 is ~2 years old and you're just starting to see AAA games that leave you wanting an upgrade. The 770 was more or less the same. Expect about the same from a 1070.
Never a guarantee with that logic, though.

Monathin posted:

Is that 55 FPS on Medium, presumably? Ideally i'd like to run it on High or Very High (since Very High and Ultra are different specs), I can give it a try on medium to see if it stops hitching for me, but it was really slow.

But I suppose I can shell out for the 1070/1080 here within a few months, presuming I can tighten my belt a bit, if you think I'm running into a bottleneck on the GPU.
It's gonna take people pouring more benchmarks at it to be sure, but your bottlenecks in order of likelihood are:
GPU>>RAM>>>>>>>CPU
16Gb of the quickest RAM your mobo can support would undoubtedly be a performance gain in titles that require it. Bear in mind, DX:MD is probably the only game on the horizon specifically recommending that. It may be a 'very high/ultra' thing.
A 1070/80 paired to that would put your FPS very close to typical scores you'd see online for that card in any given game.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I've got a 9-year old PC, except for the RAM. I mostly care about how it performs with the inhouse work app, and my Unity hobby stuff. So, with both it performs crappily, especially since the demands of the work app vary according to project from mild to insane. With Unity the problem is how slowly everything loads, and I kind of can't fit everything I'd like into memory: Unity, VS, Blender, Krita (art program) in various combinations but sometimes simultaneously. The graphics card isn't an issue either for work or my programmer art. (It's GeForce 8500GT)

I've saved about $1000-1200, but I live in Russia and I kind of don't know what that means for computers from reading this thread (mostly the OP). I feel like a half of that (including Windows 10?) would be a reasonable investment, but maybe I'm wrong. I also don't have a car, in my family the traditional way of transporting computers (for example for repairs) is by lugging it on your back (to the nearest public transport), and I've been wondering about laptops, but I'm guessing it's not a good option in my situation because of performance/price reasons. In the same vein, I've long felt it would be nice to have separate machines (in some shape or form) for Linux and Windows (mostly because I find Linux more pleasant for multiple languages... and kind of relaxing), but I suspect that's even more far-fetched.

Looking for some kind of informed, more rational perspective than mine.

Also I don't know what it would mean for all my data if I said goodbye to my old hard drive, especially since optical drives are going out. Anybody care to enlighten me? Could I by any chance keep the old drive in some form?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I assume the recommendation for RAM upgrade is a two-pack of 8GB sticks? I think I actually have another 8GB stick of the same exact type i'm running lying around, I might slot that in next time I pull the comp out of the bunker, just for peace of mind.

But good to know that I only need a "mild" 400-500 dollar upgrade to push my machine back up to heavy lifting standards, and updating the drivers did help it work out on Medium.

Guess I know where my Christmas money's going.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Jfc I got Palit's 'Thundermaster' software to monitor my new 1080 gtx's temps, while playing Elite Dangerous the framerate suddenly plummeted, check the temp & it was 92 degrees. Turns out the default setting in said software is to have the loving fan off completely. Unbelievable.
I've no idea how long it was at those temps. It's it likely to have some permanent damage??

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I've got an old-as-gently caress PC from like ~2009 and I cant decide what to do in terms of upgrading.

Intel Core2 E8400 3000MHZ
Asus P5Q Pro
8GB DDR2
Radeon HD4850
500GB SSD
1TB HDD
Some gash Antec 500w PSU

Is it worth me buying a fairly decent mid-range card like the 750 TI or the GTX 950 and shoving it into this PC? or should I bite the bullet and spend a little bit more and get something better in terms of overall spec? Will the rest of my dated PC make getting a fairly new video card pointless?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Jfc I got Palit's 'Thundermaster' software to monitor my new 1080 gtx's temps, while playing Elite Dangerous the framerate suddenly plummeted, check the temp & it was 92 degrees. Turns out the default setting in said software is to have the loving fan off completely. Unbelievable.
I've no idea how long it was at those temps. It's it likely to have some permanent damage??

I hope not since My gtx770 runs at 100C constantly on witcher 3 low settings.

Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Passive cooling and emergency throttling (why you lost all performance) would keep it safe enough in the situation you're describing. Once you have an actual working fan profile, you can put it through it's paces with furmark to make sure it's OK if you want.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've got an old-as-gently caress PC from like ~2009 and I cant decide what to do in terms of upgrading.

Asus P5Q Pro
8GB DDR2
Radeon HD4850
500GB SSD
1TB HDD
Some gash Antec 500w PSU

Is it worth me buying a fairly decent mid-range card like the 750 TI or the GTX 950 and shoving it into this PC? or should I bite the bullet and spend a little bit more and get something better in terms of overall spec? Will the rest of my dated PC make getting a fairly new video card pointless?
Gonna have to follow the OP so we know what you expect. That's either exactly what you need already or 7 years out-dated depending :downs:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Looking to build a new mITX/mATX machine, since I've no plans to visit the US anytime soon, can anyone recommend a cheap and reliable online retailer for PC parts in the EU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Thirteenth Step posted:

Asus P5Q Pro
8GB DDR2
Radeon HD4850
500GB SSD
1TB HDD
Some gash Antec 500w PSU

No man, I was in your exact, or nearly, boat. Just no ssd in my old rig. Got a i5 6500, (though if it's in budget getting the I5 6600k plus cooler is better long term), 16gb ddr4, a samsung850 ssd, and a new case. Kept my replacement graphics card, 280x. Still saw massive frame increases even going up to 1440p.

Next is a 1070, and I'll be set for another 5-6 years.

You'll see an improved by upgrading your card with a mediocre card, but you'll see a huge difference with a full upgrade. Something like 5x faster.