Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Doc Morbid posted:

Ah yes, the good old days when we played Say It Ain't So ten times per session and liked it, dammit :corsair:

"Oh just one more random song" will always be GG&HT. Every drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Merijn posted:

It's the other way around in my house. :( It's no fun to play No Doubt singles all evening because she knows those best.

That's what you get for downloading them. I drunk downloaded a Lady Gaga pack once, and now I get to play its boring rear end guitar lines… a lot.
:(:hf::(

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The No Doubt songs are fun on drums at least

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

igota75 posted:

Are there customs for RB4?

Not now and probably not anytime soon. But stick around long enough and surely it'll happen.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
In case anyone still cared about current DLC releases:

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/767723024304910337

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That's one way to make us stop caring, yeah.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I was huge into Rock Band back in the Xbox 360 days, but I haven't picked up Rock Band 4 yet. I don't think I will, and part of it is because I keep getting emails announcing DLC of songs that not only do I not like, but seem like they would be no fun at all for a game like Rock Band.

Like Nikki Minaj? Really? If you like her that's all good and fine I guess, but her music is terrible for this game.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
On the bright side, we get a song by Heart as DLC next week!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Please be Crazy On You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfYHp-3GUvU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Best download the custom for Crazy on You before it's taken down, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uSKcI3swM

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

On one hand, I'd love Magic Man or Crazy on You.
However, the fact that we haven't got anything from Dreamboat Annie (and that Bandfuse used a live recording of Crazy on You) makes me think that the masters are lost.
HOWEVER, they're doing awful mixes with songs that they don't have the masters for anymore, so we could get a really terribly sounding version!

or we could just be getting Straight On, which seems the most likely

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The only problem with the Nicki Minaj DLC is that it's just one song and not three or more.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Some jokes aren't funny. :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

or we could just be getting Straight On, which seems the most likely

That'd be cool!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Interesting DLC choices this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZKqohhgDNg

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The only problem with the Nicki Minaj DLC is that it's just one song and not three or more.

should've been anaconda

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

losonti tokash posted:

should've been anaconda

100% agree.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
God the RB stage at PAX is going to be more unlistenable than ever this year.
Even worse than last year when there were two stages and two bands picked "tribute" a few seconds apart from each other

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Orange Harrison posted:

God the RB stage at PAX is going to be more unlistenable than ever this year.
Even worse than last year when there were two stages and two bands picked "tribute" a few seconds apart from each other

What else do you expect from the sorts of people who would go to PAX. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I will gladly buy new DLC as soon as you release something that is at least vaguely not-garbage, Harmonix.

I mean, I'm just sayin'.

At least I finally got around to manually adding the 80+ songs I had to search the PS store for. One by fuckin' one. :suicide:

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Meh. I spent $56 this weekend catching up on DLC from the last 2-3 months...I'll keep buying almost anything. Almost.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
According to this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/4z597g/i_dont_think_ill_be_buying_starships_now/

The Nicki Minaj song has no stems...

They point to this part of the video...which sounds horrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiVoXVkDK0c&t=180s

Soooo...where is the backlash from the people that used to talk poo poo about customs because they didn't have stems?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

TrojanNemo posted:

Soooo...where is the backlash from the people that used to talk poo poo about customs because they didn't have stems?

None of those people has been clamoring for Nicki Minaj to be added to Rock Band.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I vaguely remember a poster mocking me when I said that Harmonix were stupid to put stuff like Justin Bieber on Rock Band.

Hahaha, now you've got Nicki Minaj.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This is what happens when you let John Drake go!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Please don't say Drake in a DLC discussion.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
:ohdear: I'm sorry! OH GOD I'M SORRY!

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Oh god I got "into it" with HMXJosh again. Bad TrojanNemo. Bad.

Over at Reddit he's been trying to convince me how it's ok for them to go from a strict only-songs-with-stems policy to what-the-hell-everything-is-ok policy, charge the same price, and not even tell their customers.

I'll stop now. But really HMX. It's like they don't realize they keep picking away at reasons to choose official DLC over customs with every new shenanigans.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did you show him that Minaj video? That's pretty damning...

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I didn't, but others have. There's a few people pointing out the existence of those stems in the internet. He can't go into detail into why they couldn't use them. Like I said, I was stopping so I'm not going to continue egging him on. In the end, this is his job. He has to agree (or at least pretend to agree) with all of HMX's choices.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Could be monetary. I severely doubt they make nearly as much as they did in 2010.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

TrojanNemo posted:

Oh god I got "into it" with HMXJosh again. Bad TrojanNemo. Bad.

Over at Reddit he's been trying to convince me how it's ok for them to go from a strict only-songs-with-stems policy to what-the-hell-everything-is-ok policy, charge the same price, and not even tell their customers.

:smith::hf::smith:

Yeah, me too. I gave up as well though, for essentially the same reason. He's not straying from the company line so it's pointless. But yeah, what a weird shift.

Edit: Oh holy poo poo wow. You sure did. Forget I said anything.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 23, 2016

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know what a stem is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

de la peche posted:

I don't know what a stem is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I think it's "per-instrument track." So when the guitar player starts loving up, the game stops playing the guitar track, and starts playing horrible clunking sounds.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If a song were a painting, a stem would be the individual paint colors.

The game requires (apparently not anymore :v:) masters so that they can assign the separate stems to the instruments. Ideally there'd be a separate stem for each guitar, bass, piece of drum kit, keyboard and each vocalist. On the backend, it makes it easier to chart when you listen to just the part you're charting. On the front end, that means that if the guitarist stops playing for a few seconds, only the guitar part drops out. Without stems, there's two options:

1. Duplicate audio on each instrument. When somebody misses, the song gets a little bit quieter all around.
2. Assign no audio to each instrument, put the song in the "always play this" track. You'll hear every note regardless of how well you do in-game.

That video above shows option 1. When the guitarist uses the whammy bar, the vocals also change in pitch. When the guitarist stops the held note early, the music drops out somewhat.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2016

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks dudes. So then: are Harmonix going down the plug hole? All I've seen lately is pop DLC, which presumably is easier to get due to the "marketing" nature of pop, and the cross-promotional aspects?

It's all a massive shame. I've played since Guitar Hero, Rock Band was absolutely amazing, blew my mind how fun a game could be, and I managed to have loads of parties with people who had never played before but got into it. Rock Band 3 was a nice step forward, in terms of being able to use any combo of instruments, and by then I had a nice amount of tracks thanks to the export system and DLC. Rock Band 4 is something I regret spending so much on. I won't be ponying up for Rivals and I don't think I'd even entertain the idea of another fake instrument game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is this new? SCEA PS4 Metal Track Pack

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/rock-band-metal-track-pack-export/cid=UP0006-CUSA03284_00-RBTRACKP5CCF023F

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
According to our data, less than a quarter of users are put off by the lack of stems, by the way.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Also worth noting is that people who go out of their way to set up and download customs are likely to be more aware of the concept of stems or what they mean in the context of Rock Band.

As usual, we're seeing a sperg meltdown over something that few end users know/care about. That video example is pretty horrible, but the target audience HMX is shooting for these days won't give a gently caress. They just want to play the hits everyone at the party knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
From my experience playing with groups and at parties, Rock Band really is just a karaoke game to a lot of people, with the plastic instruments part being an interesting novelty but nothing super important to the game. If anything, not having the guitar drop out when missing a note on Easy just makes the game more fun since you're not letting everybody down by sucking.

I feel like the whole "every instrument must have it's own stem" thing is a holdover from Guitar Hero, where it made a lot more sense that missing a note would have the music stop playing, since that game was more about the experience of playing guitar and trying to get better and better as you play. But Rock Band carried a different vibe with it, a legit party game vibe, and particularly Rock Band 3 with harmonies made the game really drat fun for people to sing to, but those same people would get intimidated by the idea of playing guitar/drums/pro-keys (nobody ever picked keys with a keyboard, it's always pro-keys), and when the song cut out because they missed a note, they'd get frustrated and quit and then go back to singing. Interestingly, that didn't happen so often when playing customs, because the song kept going regardless of player skill, so people with more comfortable with sucking.

Honestly I'm curious why HMX hasn't done this sooner, perhaps they could have gotten some of the harder to get songs if the stems requirements were looser. Or maybe they could have included the option of a "no fail" mode with a "no miss" mode, too, so songs that have stems don't drop them out due to bad players.