Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Can someone explain what the compendium is tia

Riot should make mastery skins that turn your normal mastery emote into tsm mastery emote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there's just genuinely no reason to believe the org owners or riot about who is getting money and where it's going. it's a really crafty time to make that claim as an owner at the moment though.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jerkface posted:

Can someone explain what the compendium is tia

a dota 2 thing you can buy that increases the prizepools and gives you access to things like fantasy pools, tournament predictions (i.e. longest game, player with highest gpm, hero with highest winrate, etc.), tournament brackets and a bunch of other fun poo poo you can do to win prizes.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Acknowledging Luna's good work here

I finally made it big boys

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Luna Was Here posted:

I finally made it big boys

Thats actually why I posted that Dyrus tweet, because its your question getting that sweet sweet exposure !

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

Thats actually why I posted that Dyrus tweet, because its your question getting that sweet sweet exposure !

I actually posted the original clip like 3 pages ago and then put it in the mod skype for dyrus's stream which is probably how he saw it, good use of $4.20 imo

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I'm sort of confused as to why anybody thinks regi is pulling a fast one.

I hate to keep making dota comparisons because they're lazy and dota is a different game, but the fact is that riot is almost assuredly making a ton of money out of the LCS (they have a loving coca cola sponsorship for crying out loud) and they don't share any of their profit with the teams involved and they don't put any money into the lower parts of the LCS or the challenger series. Meanwhile, even though major compendiums don't go to the major prize pools, the 8th place team at a valve major gets paid 105K. That's twice what a team makes for winning an LCS split, and riot doesn't even pay the 5th place team. TI compendiums contribute to the prize pool, and as a result even the 16th place team at TI got paid 103K while every year a couple of the 8-10th place teams in the LCS cease to exist. The teams make dick from prize pools and have to rely on streaming and sponsors and stuff, but we know for a fact that even good league teams have trouble attracting sponsors (tigers) because of the volatility of the whole thing.

I don't have any love for TSM or any of their players or anything, but I'm not sure how you can look at this situation and assume that everything is ok with the LCS teams/players and Regi is just making some kind of power play here. Random tier 2 teams in other games can make money off of those games, and it increases the available talent pool. I would rather watch more good league teams so I would rather riot put some of their giant financial might into, for example, supporting the whole pyramid rather than letting the challenger series rot and letting a fifth of their premiere league dissolve every year.

troofs fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 23, 2016

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

troofs posted:

Meanwhile, even though major compendiums don't go to the major prize pools, the 8th place team at a valve major gets paid 105K. That's twice what a team makes for winning an LCS split, and riot doesn't even pay the 5th place team. TI compendiums contribute to the prize pool, and as a result even the 16th place team at TI got paid 103K while every year a couple of the 8-10th place teams in the LCS cease to exist. The teams make dick from prize pools and have to rely on streaming and sponsors and stuff, but we know for a fact that even good league teams have trouble attracting sponsors (tigers) because of the volatility of the whole thing.

We've been over this recently - Riot gives every team 60k for player salary plus additional money for housing and such every single split. So NRG (approximately the 40th ranked LoL team) got almost as much money for getting relegated this split as the 16th place team at the TI.

Edit: This isn't to say that Riot doesn't properly support LCS/CS teams or needlessly hamper their ability to monetize, but they pay a lot of money to teams that get ignored because it's not prize pool money.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Crazy Larry posted:

We've been over this recently - Riot gives every team 60k for player salary plus additional money for housing and such every single split. So NRG (approximately the 40th ranked LoL team) got almost as much money for getting relegated this split as the 16th place team at the TI.

I don't really think these are equivalent (because the dota players are still getting paid, so the prize money goes on top of everything else) but thanks for bringing that up, I actually thought it was less. I see your argument and I guess that's where the discrepancy comes from in terms of the raw numbers.

I don't know, it still seems to me like with the amount of cash getting thrown around in esports/streaming these days, you wouldn't see 1/5th the amount of solvent teams in the world's most popular video game if everything was being done correctly.

troofs fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 23, 2016

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

troofs posted:

I don't really think these are equivalent (because the dota players are still getting paid, so the prize money goes on top of everything else) but I see your argument and I guess that's where the discrepancy comes from in terms of numbers.

You're right, they're not equivalent because the normal salaries DOTA players are making isn't coming from Valve but from their team/sponsors, which LoL players also get contracts from their teams on top of their Riot salaries. I mean, I fully expect that some of the LCS teams are in fact losing money (I have no idea how, say, P1 monetizes it's team), but I also fully expect that Regi can claim to lose money on LOL while selling a $60 jacket because it's not explicitly labeled as LOL merchandise and thus claims it as non-League income.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

troofs posted:

I'm sort of confused as to why anybody thinks regi is pulling a fast one.

because :tinfoil:

I'll never understand the logical gymnastics some people try to do to always paint Riot in a positive light. They've done some pretty hosed up, stupid poo poo in the past and this seems pretty par for the course at this point.

Remember when they tried to say that LCS players could only stream League, and then said "haha JK" when there was a huge backlash over it? That seems eerily similar to the current caster situation, which may have only flown under the radar due to the ignorance of the casters themselves. Also because they don't want to ruin their careers by pissing off big daddy Riot. Riot was also notorious for paying their engineering teams far below the industry standards due to the ~prestige~ of working at Riot, but I've been told they have at least fixed this in recent years.

Riot is super greedy. This is old news. It is only finally coming back to bite them in the rear end because MM can't keep his loving mouth shut, and he had the audacity to say that team owners are the ones who are greedy, not Holy Riot Games.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 23, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

dicks assassin posted:

If only Riot could figure out how to let LunaWasHere's poor financial decisions contribute to the prizepool, LCS's money problems would be solved.

unfortunately all 12-16 year old me has accomplished is lining the pockets of Marc Merrill when instead I couldve just thrown money at tsm and clg buying all of their jerseys and ensuring they were financially viable

also lmao at all the people going "well maybe the orgs are just HIDING the money...." I don't buy that poo poo for a second. The contracts these players have are almost certainly in the upper echelons of 5 digits, so with 5 players per team that's already a huge chunk of whatever money sponsors are bringing in. You also have to factor in living costs: all of these teams are based in Los Angeles because they HAVE to be because that is where the LCS studio is, and LA is one of the most expensive places to live in the US so housing and food prices are probably through the roof on org's that house anywhere from 5 to 8+ people (accounting for coach and management staff that may or may not be on site). I'm not sure if Regi is overstating the financial situation or not but if one more org were to come out saying how much Riot shafts them I'd be inclined to believe it. The fact that Riot is actively trying to stop team's from doing sponsor promotion and halt progress on bringing new sponsors in should be a big red flag to anyone, both as a casual consumer of the pro scene or a top dog of the esports environment.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1j7d

NME Owner Chachi has some stuff to say about Marc Merill's post. Notable because this is a perspective from a bottom end LCS team which we almost never hear about.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Luna Was Here posted:

I actually posted the original clip like 3 pages ago and then put it in the mod skype for dyrus's stream which is probably how he saw it, good use of $4.20 imo

Oh I thought this was a cool thing but actually you've outed yourself as a shameless self promoter!! get him!!

please donate to imaqtpie

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

please donate to imaqtpie

gently caress that imaqtpie probably makes more than most lcs teams do yearly, give me your poo poo instead

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Regi didn't say he loses money on LOL, he said he loses money on LCS/LOL Esports. That's almost certainly true, Riot pays absolutely dick all out to the teams. TSM definitely makes money from LOL, they get sponsor money for showing ads on streams, their youtube channels, player sponsor shoutouts in interviews, LOL drives part of the team's popularity and sells merch, etc. Do they need LCS to do that? Probably not. TSM would probably make more money if they hosed off out of LCS and had their entire roster go full qtpie. They could sustain this by just snapping up fan favorite players when contracts were expiring.

The issue is that Riot has always been a really slimy company (F2P games are run by dirtbags? no loving way) and have never failed to look for any opportunity to gently caress everyone else over if they think they can lawyer their way into capturing that revenue stream for themselves and holding players hostage for a pittance.

Riot wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want total control over sponsorship and anything that can be used to generate revenue, like say the NFL - except the NFL is owned by the teams and Roger Goodell would be out the door tomorrow if he wasn't serving their financial interests to the fullest.

e - LMAO the NME owner post. Vicious poo poo. People who no longer give a gently caress and are willing to put the numbers on the table are dangerous people to lie about.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 24, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I can't wait to see the Riot response to all this poo poo of, "Nah, we're actually not wrong, you guys are, and let me explain why with this 50 page dissertation..."

Hopefully Brandon Beck or something with actual clout finally takes the microphone away from Marc Merrill for good, because literally every time that guy decides its time for him to say words, he says the worst ones possible.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Nook posted:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1j7d

NME Owner Chachi has some stuff to say about Marc Merill's post. Notable because this is a perspective from a bottom end LCS team which we almost never hear about.

holy gently caress you talk about dropping bombs, this is some poo poo right here

"read the twitlonger you fucks posted:

We have three Smash players and pay their rent, losing money, because we like Smash -- for perspective, in order to lose as much as LCS cost us in three months, we would need to fund those players with no income for 25 years.

you wanna talk about a fuckin loss leader hot drat

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

So if these team owners don't like the patch schedule (understandable), what is the ideal patch schedule? Is it one patch per split? But you're still probably signing players on 1 year contracts so you can potentially get screwed by the midseason patch. Is it one patch per season, with the patch for next season announced but not implemented before worlds so you know what player types to be looking for?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think there's a big difference between small balance changes on a per patch basis and the big gently caress-off patches like the mage or the adc patch.

Champions being buffed or nerfed isn't necessarily a big deal. The item additions and removals and the macro-game fuckery (vision, dragon, baron, and towers) are what change how the game actually plays and removes or forces entirely new strategies. The problem is that it's inorganic, it's not the players learning to counter the established meta, it's riot mandating that the old meta no longer applies and anything you knew about it is now defunct.

Dropping that kind of macro-game change right before playoffs or worlds is utter garbage. Pre-season is a moderately acceptable time to make changes like that, but they aren't limiting it to that timeframe anymore.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

IXIX posted:

So if these team owners don't like the patch schedule (understandable), what is the ideal patch schedule? Is it one patch per split? But you're still probably signing players on 1 year contracts so you can potentially get screwed by the midseason patch. Is it one patch per season, with the patch for next season announced but not implemented before worlds so you know what player types to be looking for?

Ideally the best time to do big shake-up patches is either right after Worlds ends or right after MSI. The MSI patch is still a risky time to do it because it means the break period between Spring and Summer Split meant for players to relax in the relatively short offseason between those two splits is instead going to be consumed by learning new strats and game plans so you can try to end up on top on the new patch ecosystem. The best time to do the big shake up patches that change some fundamental thing about the game (it always seems to be turrets) is right after Worlds, not right before. Doing it right before is both not enough time for teams to come up with strategies leading into the second most important tournament of their careers (number one most important is relegation tourneys HEH) but it also means that players who were gods on the previous patch system might no longer be able to output the same kind of performance they have been for sometime and can lead to teams looking like crippled versions of their previous self.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

ideally you only have to make massive metagame changes once or twice a year. i think two is fine just that the timing of MSI and the two split system makes it really awkward. maybe a better solution would involve starting the spring split a month earlier so theres more of a break between spring and summer with MSI being played shortly after the spring split ends.

Luna Was Here posted:

gently caress that imaqtpie probably makes more than most lcs teams do yearly, give me your poo poo instead

please donate to my stream instead luna, fund my journey to 10k mmr

panda clue
May 23, 2014

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1j7d posted:

Where does that money come from? You know our LCS income? A $130kish stipend. A one time $3125 on icon sales (I'm pretty sure that's a ridiculously low team share -- we receive more than that MONTHLY on skin royalties for our team skin in Hi-Rez's Smite, which does not even remotely compare to LCS in viewership, even if we are in the conversation for best team in the world)

Good lord. Marc, you've opened a big can of poo poo-worms today, friend.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
:rip: lcs

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

also the part about flaresz was really funny, thank you NME owner guy for owning a bunch of people

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Radical posted:

also the part about flaresz was really funny, thank you NME owner guy for owning a bunch of people

yeah it was really funny to see him burn that dude so hard. and you know there was basically never any rumors about that happening at the time, makes me wonder about how dumb a lot of pro players actually are.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
oh gently caress yes I love actual numbers. This is great. I feel for whoever is the head of Riot's PR team because their boss just made their life a living hell for the near future.

quote:

We receive more than that MONTHLY on skin royalties for our team skin in Hi-Rez's Smite, which does not even remotely compare to LCS in viewership, even if we are in the conversation for best team in the world)

:drat:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i wish LCS would die and league would adopt csgo style tournaments. unfortunately csgo has its own problems with the oversaturation of online leagues on top of a ton of lans

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of skins, seems that when riot uses any of the team orgs logos on the world championship skins are used the teams aren't compensated LMAO

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that seems like the most brain dead obvious way to kick some money to teams. i mean they clearly just don't want to. it sorta makes them putting team logos on stuff at last worlds funnier tho

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Boy that Marc guy sure is a huge retard

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Enemy guy dropped even bigger bombs than Reginald. God drat.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

when you consider that every TSM player is apparently making 6 figure salaries its pretty funny that the player salary and stipend that riot provides probably would only cover the salary of biofrost, a rookie player. bjerg and liftlift probably make more than the entirety of the LCK players at this point.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
I've only been following league for about a year or so now and up to this point the Link letter was my favorite piece of drama. This is so much funnier because as someone who has not been following along the whole time it's hilarious how far up its own rear end riot's head is since they are a successful developer and not a kid who played video games for a living. Both of the owner Twit longers were incredible and I'm excited for a response.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

It is a shame that the best champion in league of legends, tryndamere, is named after the biggest dumbass in riot games

edit: have we reached the life imitates art stage here? has riot tryndamere afk split pushed his way into destroying lcs?

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
I really regret ever giving Riot Game$ money now. Should have known better.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

It is a shame that the best champion in league of legends, tryndamere, is named after the biggest dumbass in riot games

edit: have we reached the life imitates art stage here? has riot tryndamere afk split pushed his way into destroying lcs?

I want to imagine he started walking around the office expecting high fives for "pwning" Regi in his post but everyone at the high level in his office just stared blankly at him while the head of Esports and PR both sat crying in the corner

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

siriuslysomething posted:

I've only been following league for about a year or so now and up to this point the Link letter was my favorite piece of drama. This is so much funnier because as someone who has not been following along the whole time it's hilarious how far up its own rear end riot's head is since they are a successful developer and not a kid who played video games for a living. Both of the owner Twit longers were incredible and I'm excited for a response.
The l1nk drama was a bunch of high-school drama that happened because of stress and immaturity. This drama is between a grown adult that runs a billion dollar company that's about as mature as link was when he was 19

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

pretty suspicious that as soon as all this drama starts to get stirred up the fabled baker pantheon skin AND a championship zed skin shows up

feels like riot smashed some kind of big red IN CASE OF EMERGENCY button in tryndamere's office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Radical posted:

pretty suspicious that as soon as all this drama starts to get stirred up the fabled baker pantheon skin AND a championship zed skin shows up

feels like riot smashed some kind of big red IN CASE OF EMERGENCY button in tryndamere's office
Championship Zed isn't that big of a deal but Riot Re-Releasing Championship Riven for everyone is. Probably like 5% of the people still playing from Season 2 have it and all of them are complaining loudly.

• Locked thread